Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

QB Deshaun Watson - present at the start of Texans training camp.

Faust

54 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

That's right, so it has happened a few times. Although wasn't Zeke and Ben's suspension pretty short? A game or two? 

2 for Ben. 4 for Zeke, I believe. 

• 1 month later...

ESPN's Adam Schefter believes there is no team "better positioned" to trade for Deshaun Watson than Philadelphia. 

Schefter adds that he is unsure when the Texans might finally be ready to deal Watson, and that they will surely wait for his value to regenerate following this offseason's sexual assault allegations. It is not a given that will happen, of course. ESPN's Sarah Barshop reported in May that there had been "settlement talks." It is still possible, if not probable, that teams won't exactly be clamoring to acquire a player with that on his résumé. We still have little idea if Watson is actually going to play for the Texans this year. He had thrown down the gauntlet before his legal issues arose. 

RELATED: 

Philadelphia Eagles

SOURCE: ESPN on Twitter 

Jul 15, 2021, 3:45 PM ET

32 minutes ago, Faust said:

While I could easily see Philly trading for him, I can't see them pulling the trigger until we know what the resolution of the court case will be. Houston isn't going to give him away, despite many people thinking the Texans have no leverage and will take whatever offered. I'm guessing two first rounders.

• Like 3

Kinda kicking myself - I probably could have had Watson in the Mahomes deal as a "toss-in" - immediately after that deal, my trade partner sold him for a 2023 2nd round pick, so yeah - I kinda blew it. 

I woulda loved to have him for free. It might not be this year, but this will blow over eventually. He will play football again, and anywhere not the Texans is likely to be an improvement for him. 

• Sad 1

Pro Football Network's Adam Beasley reports the Dolphins "would still consider trading for" Deshaun Watson if his legal issues are resolved.

Watson is currently accused of sexual misconduct by over 20 women and both the NFL and Houston police are investigating the claims. For now, Watson should be expected to sit out the 2021 season. If his legal situation changes, he'll still need to find a resolution to his standoff with the Texans. If Miami does enter the fray, they'll likely offer Tua Tagovailoa and multiple first-round picks to cap of their monumental rebuild. Tagovailoa was a promising prospect coming out of Alabama but his rookie season raised more questions than answers. Replacing him with Watson would make the Dolphins an immediate contender in the AFC.

RELATED: 

Tua Tagovailoa

, Miami Dolphins

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Jul 19, 2021, 10:01 AM ET

kind of crazy how over time we don't really care about the person or the potential victims.... we only care about watching them on Sundays and what they could do for our NFL team or our fantasy WR's...just "settle" all 20+ of your cases and I'll pretend like none of them ever happened....because, you know....you "settled" them....nobody can say you actually did any of the things they said....so you are innocent in my book bro....and I'd love to see you chucking it to my boy Devante Parker.....

as mentioned before this wasn't an isolated incident after a bad night of drinking or something.....or even just cheating by using steroids on yourself with no other real victims....dude actually thought it was okay to do this stuff and thought his fame and notoriety and money made it ok and nobody would say anything....he made a conscious decision in each and every one of these encounters...it wasn't a one time bad decision...so that may sound like moral police or whatever (and I know it all still needs to shake out, but this is just assuming the sheer volume means there is some fire where there is smoke)....but put me in the camp of no I don't think it would be "sweet" to see him in a Dolphin uniform or whatever....

maybe....maybe.... after a little jail time, some rehab, some remorseful public apologies, some advocating against this type of stuff....maybe....but if he "settles" and buys his way out.....no thanks....I want my team to win as bad as the next guy, but I don't want him being the face of my franchise....just IMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

To be clear, I don't want this piece of trash anywhere near the teams I root for, but I'm going to roster him in every single one of my dynasty leagues for the right price.

Terrible people who are productive on the fantasy scoresheet are exactly as useful as saints who are productive on the fantasy scoresheet.

2 hours ago, tangfoot said:

To be clear, I don't want this piece of trash anywhere near the teams I root for, but I'm going to roster him in every single one of my dynasty leagues for the right price.

Terrible people who are productive on the fantasy scoresheet are exactly as useful as saints who are productive on the fantasy scoresheet.

I've agreed with this 100% until Watson. Everything about this has made my skin crawl. I don't want anything to do with him and would probably stop following the Lions if he was their quarterback. I realize that is an extreme minority opinion and don't fault those who disagree.

1 minute ago, Apple Juice said:

I've agreed with this 100% until Watson. Everything about this has made my skin crawl. I don't want anything to do with him and would probably stop following the Lions if he was their quarterback. I realize that is an extreme minority opinion and don't fault those who disagree.

Not defending Watson (I pretty much agree with you, though I'll leave the door open for Watson to make an attempt at redemption) but Big Ben was accused of much worse IMO, though nothing ever went to trial. Bit of a different time these days so Watson may be punished more. 

In a standard PPR league, I just traded Cousins and a presumptive low 2nd round pick in 2022 for Deshaun Watson. Rolling the dice with Dak, and not much behind him at QB for 2021.

25 minutes ago, Ron_Mexico said:

In a standard PPR league, I just traded Cousins and a presumptive low 2nd round pick in 2022 for Deshaun Watson. Rolling the dice with Dak, and not much behind him at QB for 2021.

I just wanted to acknowledge that the Deshaun Watson thread received a visit from @Ron_Mexico

• Laughing 4

If Watson shows up to camp, the Texans probably either have to send him home, or else it increases the pressure on them to trade him.

If he doesn't show up, then he starts accruing fines which is in the team's interest in not having to pay him that money, even if he goes on the exempt list later.

Seems to me like it would be in Watson's interest to report to camp then.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GregR said:

If Watson shows up to camp, the Texans probably either have to send him home, or else it increases the pressure on them to trade him.

If he doesn't show up, then he starts accruing fines which is in the team's interest in not having to pay him that money, even if he goes on the exempt list later.

I could be wrong, but hasn't he already been told by the league to stay away from organized team activities....kind of like a pre-exempt list type of maneuver...?

3 hours ago, GregR said:

Could also force the NFL to put him on Roger's naughty list. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GregR said:

100%. If his representation is still having him sit out when fines start hitting they are doing him a massive disservice. He needs to force the Texans and/or NFL's hands and only way to do that is to report.

3 hours ago, Stinkin Ref said:

I could be wrong, but hasn't he already been told by the league to stay away from organized team activities....kind of like a pre-exempt list type of maneuver...?

Not that I've heard.  From what I saw, the news was reporting that Watson wasn't going to attend as if it was his choice and not a mandate.

Deshaun Watson has never been told to stay away from the Texans. At least no one his reported this has happened I should say.

He's not missed a mandatory session yet because the Texans cancelled their mandatory mini-camp for the whole team. This would have cost Watson about $93K in fines but he was able to avoid that.

So at this point not loss of income for him but unless the Texans send him home the fines are coming and they can't be cancelled. He'll soon be getting fined $50K a day and $650 per preseason game.

I don't know exactly how many days training camp fines are determined, if it's from day one of reporting till season or is their a time that camp ends and it's considered just practice for start of season?  But  either way conservatively speaking if he tried to take this holdout into the season he's give up at least $3m in fines that the team can't waive or pay and lose an accrued season. Then he'll start losing game checks all while facing the real chance that if he does not play this year he'll be suspended and not getting any money for all or part of 2022. Plus legal fees.

All why I think he'd be making a huge mistake not reporting and trying to force the issue of either league or team sending him home.

I've already seen 3 different ex-GM's write articles or do podcasts saying Watson made a mistake sitting out this off-season, that he's doing exactly what Houston and the NFL would want so they don't have to make a decision. I don't really agree with any of them because he's not yet lost any money and I don't think reporting in May was going to force anyone's hands. But we are getting close to were I'm thinking he's making a huge mistake if he keeps sitting out.

9 hours ago, menobrown said:

Deshaun Watson has never been told to stay away from the Texans. At least no one his reported this has happened I should say.

He's not missed a mandatory session yet because the Texans cancelled their mandatory mini-camp for the whole team. This would have cost Watson about $93K in fines but he was able to avoid that.

So at this point not loss of income for him but unless the Texans send him home the fines are coming and they can't be cancelled. He'll soon be getting fined $50K a day and $650 per preseason game.

I don't know exactly how many days training camp fines are determined, if it's from day one of reporting till season or is their a time that camp ends and it's considered just practice for start of season?  But  either way conservatively speaking if he tried to take this holdout into the season he's give up at least $3m in fines that the team can't waive or pay and lose an accrued season. Then he'll start losing game checks all while facing the real chance that if he does not play this year he'll be suspended and not getting any money for all or part of 2022. Plus legal fees.

All why I think he'd be making a huge mistake not reporting and trying to force the issue of either league or team sending him home.

I've already seen 3 different ex-GM's write articles or do podcasts saying Watson made a mistake sitting out this off-season, that he's doing exactly what Houston and the NFL would want so they don't have to make a decision. I don't really agree with any of them because he's not yet lost any money and I don't think reporting in May was going to force anyone's hands. But we are getting close to were I'm thinking he's making a huge mistake if he keeps sitting out.

I believe the fines won't start till he misses 5 days. 

Where Texans, Deshaun Watson stand heading into training camp

The Texans report to training camp in a week, but it still appears obvious they will do so without quarterback Deshaun Watson.

Although not much new information has come out of the Watson camp, he reportedly still doesn’t plan on ever playing another game for the Texans and is prepared to sit. Complicating matters are the 22 civil suits filed by women who accuse him of sexual assault and harassmentduring massage sessions in 2020 and 2021.

The Texans open training camp on July 28, and they can start fining Watson $50,000 for each day of camp he misses. A more likely scenario, which was mentioned by Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer last week, is the NFL puts Watson on the commissioner's exempt list until his legal issues play out. Under that scenario, Watson would still get paid, but isn't counted as a member of the Texans' active roster. It also would save the Texans from having to fine their superstar until his off-the-field issues are settled.

“My sense is the league would probably try to kick the can down the road as long as the legal situation’s still playing out, and the way they kick the can down the road is that exempt clause," Breer said on The Dan Patrick Show. "They put the player on paid leave and they basically push pause on the whole thing."

Watson has been quiet this offseason, even mostly abstaining from social media, except for a recent resurgence on Snapchat. His likes on Twitter have raised some eyebrows, hitting the heart on a couple tweets from Texans’ character coach Dylan Thompson and liking a tweet Monday from a fan who asked him to “like this tweet if you playing this year.”

Still, there is no reporting that lends any hope to Watson ever wearing Steel Blue again.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter said last week that he thinks “the Texans have mentally and physically prepared to move on without Deshaun Watson. So, the question becomes: When do the Texans trade Deshaun Watson? Is it this summer? This season? After the season? I personally think they’ll wait until his value is restored and they don’t have to trade him off at a discount.”

That would mean the Texans bide their time and possibly wait until next offseason – when presumably the lawsuits against Watson would be behind him, one way or another – to deal their star quarterback, hoping to maximize his trade value.

The Philadelphia Eagles would make the most sense as a trade partner for Watson since they could have as many as three first-round picks in 2022, but the NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport says no deal is even being talked about yet.

“It doesn’t sound based on my knowledge that the Texans have made any move toward trading him at all,” Rapoport said Monday.

That leaves Texans fans anxiously awaiting July 28 to see what happens when the team hits the field for the first mandatory practice of the offseason, unless the NFL steps in before then with the exempt clause.

4 hours ago, Tanner9919 said:

meanwhile, in the Bat cave:

'Deshaun,  the Packers' front office, ALL of them,  are on a conference call waiting for you to join in..they're on the red phone'.

It would make way more sense to give in to any demand Rodgers could have rather than pay what it takes for Watson while dealing with that headache as well.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 8:24 AM, Faust said:

That leaves Texans fans anxiously awaiting July 28 to see what happens when the team hits the field for the first mandatory practice of the offseason, unless the NFL steps in before then with the exempt clause.

Anxiously probably isn't the right word.

The sense of apathy and dejection that has set in after the litany of bad moves they let O'brien make, and then Watt leaving and this Watson stuff, has caused interest to plummet.

For pretty much their entire existence, the Texans have had a wait list for season tickets of around 25,000 people. It is empty now, in one offseason. They went through the whole list trying to sell the tickets they had and were turned down.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GregR said:

For pretty much their entire existence, the Texans have had a wait list for season tickets of around 25,000 people. It is empty now, in one offseason. They went through the whole list trying to sell the tickets they had and were turned down.

the nfl has to step in at some point. it's not good business for them to have the texans be this bad. 

16 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

the nfl has to step in at some point. it's not good business for them to have the texans be this bad. 

What could they do? 

If the owner was non-consensually putting his junk on massage therapists persons, they might be able to force a team sale ala the Clippers. 

But a GM made some awful trades & a QB made some terrible decisions.

It’s a shame, because they have a gorgeous stadium & a fan base that deserves better, but I just don’t see what the NFL can do. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy

On 6/10/2021 at 5:26 PM, Foosball God said:

Zeke's was 6 or 8 and got knocked down to 4 IIRC.

Zeke's was 6 and didn't get knocked down at all it was 6 games from weeks 10-15.

He tried fighting it in court and that is why I started week 10 instead of week 1 and eventually he gave up and just took the 6 games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dez said:

Zeke's was 6 and didn't get knocked down at all it was 6 games from weeks 10-15.

He tried fighting it in court and that is why I started week 10 instead of week 1 and eventually he gave up and just took the 6 games.

This was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay way worse. 

21 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

My Niners did it for years.

the Saints had 1/8 full stadium filled with people wearing paper bags over their heads. 

It happens. 

but we're having to include losing a franchise qb (via holdout or court ordered) after signing him to a monster deal and trading the best wr in the league for the 60th best rb in the league. 

not including the franchise's icon forced his way out. 

Edited by Soulfly3

5 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

but we're having to include losing a franchise qb (via holdout or court ordered) after signing him to a monster deal and trading the best wr in the league for the 60th best rb in the league. 

That’s the NFL for ya. Not every franchise is a winner & some catch unlucky breaks. 

:shrug: 

4 hours ago, GregR said:

Covid probably had a lot to do with this.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

They're probably in for a couple rough years unless somehow Mills becomes a stud. (Unlikely as that may be). 

Would it be really shocking to see Houston lose another franchise?  Seems unlikely for the 4th largest city, which happens to be in Texas (football mecca) to lose another team. But who knows really?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

Would it be really shocking to see Houston lose another franchise?  Seems unlikely for the 4th largest city, which happens to be in Texas (football mecca) to lose another team. But who knows really?

Would be shocking to me, considering that stadium they’ve got was 80%+ paid for by TX taxpayers. 

the Texans are the result of bad management, bad luck & (allegedly) bad behavior by their franchise QB. But it’s not like they were world beaters with Watson. 

It’s just how things go in a monopoly of a sport that’s basically a fiefdom of billionaire owners. Some teams will compete, and some will be also-rans.

Houston is in for a terrible couple of years, at least. While the current situation with Watson goes on him, the blame for the overall state of the team should go to the top. Making BOB HC & GM was a terrible decision. The trades they’ve made have been deeply questionable & the team seems to be totally dysfunctional. 

But again, that’s just football. There’s always a Texans. If the Texans moved and became the Nevadans or the Idahoans they’d still suck. 

54 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

They're probably in for a couple rough years unless somehow Mills becomes a stud. (Unlikely as that may be). 

If Mills is not a stud, they’ll have the first overall pick to use on the top QB.

• Like 1

• Faust changed the title to QB Deshaun Watson - present at the start of Texans training camp.