What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (5 Viewers)

I'm confused why people think a mobile QB is going to just pick up in September right where he left off after a midseason ACL injury? I feel like the general attitude is he is coming off a broken ankle or something and not a serious knee injury. Like people are so excited to watch him they think that if they all just collectively ignore this simple truth then it won't matter. 

Deshaun Watson participated in team drills on Thursday.

Watson's injury news continues to be universally positive. At this point, it looks like he will receive preseason reps. Watson is an overdraft candidate after he posted unsustainable rate stats as a rookie, but he will still be a quarterback with week-winning upside every time he takes the field.

Source: houstontexans.com

Jul 26 - 9:45 PM

I am never surprised to see Belichick keep a QB in check, but how did Watson look?  To me, that is the bigger concern than his stats. 

I am never surprised to see Belichick keep a QB in check, but how did Watson look?  To me, that is the bigger concern than his stats. 
They were in the backfield a lot and to me it looked like he tried to escape pressure a lot rather than throw it away or dump it off.

Didnt look great, and I overdrafted him in a few drafts. Also lost an important lineman.

We’ll see. 

They were in the backfield a lot and to me it looked like he tried to escape pressure a lot rather than throw it away or dump it off.

Didnt look great, and I overdrafted him in a few drafts. Also lost an important lineman.

We’ll see. 
Hmmm, okay.  I landed him on a few teams, so I am hoping today was a combination of getting back in game shape and having to deal with Belichick.  

Hmmm, okay.  I landed him on a few teams, so I am hoping today was a combination of getting back in game shape and having to deal with Belichick.  
I wouldn’t say it was a terrible performance. And he hung in there to try and lead them back.

I was paying more attention to the Vikings game so I didn’t see every play. But he just didn’t seem to be making great throws when I’d flip over. Getting Fuller back should help.

I posted this in the game thread earlier, but worth repeating: Watson with Fuller last year averaged 31+ fantasy points per game; without = 18 points per game. 

Fuller was out today, he was shaking rust, and NE pass rush was in his face all day.

if you’re worried, be worried about the OL, not Watson himself. 

I posted this in the game thread earlier, but worth repeating: Watson with Fuller last year averaged 31+ fantasy points per game; without = 18 points per game. 

Fuller was out today, he was shaking rust, and NE pass rush was in his face all day.

if you’re worried, be worried about the OL, not Watson himself. 
Good post.  I'm not worried about Watson.  He didn't look terrible and they still had a chance to tie it at the end.

still think his legs will give him a nice floor in most formats.

but if you're in a league that gives heavy penalties for turnovers, it might be a real long year.

No QB is built to take the hits he took Sunday night.  At least not that amount of them.  He's a great scrambler but designed QB runs inside the 5 should be taken out of the play book, except for situations where he can spread the formation and audible to QB draw in an open middle.  If the RB can't run it in on 3 tries from the one yard line, then isolate Hopkins and toss it up to him.  Sad state for the O-line if they can't get one yard in eight tries (two separate drives against Dallas).  

But Watson needs to watch the film and see that he can't keep taking those chances at the GL.  Gonna break a rib.  

No QB is built to take the hits he took Sunday night.  At least not that amount of them.  He's a great scrambler but designed QB runs inside the 5 should be taken out of the play book, except for situations where he can spread the formation and audible to QB draw in an open middle.  If the RB can't run it in on 3 tries from the one yard line, then isolate Hopkins and toss it up to him.  Sad state for the O-line if they can't get one yard in eight tries (two separate drives against Dallas).  

But Watson needs to watch the film and see that he can't keep taking those chances at the GL.  Gonna break a rib.  
And rolling out at the five to be met at the two by 2 and 3 guys should not be a show of force. It should be a step out of bounds or a slide. Trying to out muscle 2 or 3 line backers at the same time is moronic. 

Those goal-line plays were dumb.  Wentz got hurt last year on exactly that kind of play and Watson tried it three times.  He has to wake up!

On one hand - Watson had 4 straight games of 300 yards passing + 30 yards rushing. That's fantastic, that's what I (over) drafted him for.

On the other he had clunkers in the opener vs NE and last Sunday vs the Bills. The Bills are a very good D, they'd be elite if they had an actual offense not constantly undercutting them.  The point being that those games can be seen as just bad matchups. But there's something weird with the playcalling at the goal. I'd really like to see stats as to what is going on there because multiple TDs are being left off the board inside the 5 yard line. I'd say use Coutee more there or get a RB who can punch it in. One thing is for certain whatever they thought Watson could do there he isn't doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
On one hand - Watson had 4 straight games of 300 yards passing + 30 yards rushing. That's fantastic, that's what I (over) drafted him for.

On the other he had clunkers in the opener vs NE and last Sunday vs the Bills. The Bills are a very good D, they'd be elite if they had an actual offense not constantly undercutting them.  The point being that those games can be seen as just bad matchups. But there's something weird with the playcalling at the goal. I'd really like to see stats as to what is going on there because multiple TDs are being left off the board inside the 5 yard line. I'd say use Coutee more there or get a RB who can punch it in. One thing is for certain whatever they thought Watson could do there he isn't doing.
Bad playcalling (Hopkins tackled at the 1 inch line, they call a play out of the shotgun instead of a QB sneak), bad o'line (1st and 1, they lose 8 yards on 3 plays due to getting stuffed and a false start penalty), no run game (Miller and Blue suck, Foreman still injured), and honestly Watson has tried to do a little too much at times putting it all on his shoulders (trying to roll out after bailing on the play and outrun multiple linebackers and getting crunched instead of sliding.) The offense is a mess due to a bad o'line but mainly bad coaching (O'line and head coach) IMO.

sitting for Trubisky this week.  I just hope he makes it out Jacksonville alive...
I'm with you there. This is a horrific week for him to be playing JAX I'm thinking. I never thought I'd be heading to the WW besides a bye but there's this:

Bortles v. Houston

Beathard v LAR (leaning this way)

Eli @ ATL (Great matchup but gulp.....)

Keenum @ Arizona

Marriota @ LAC

I'm in rough shape this week.

I'm with you there. This is a horrific week for him to be playing JAX I'm thinking. I never thought I'd be heading to the WW besides a bye but there's this:

Bortles v. Houston

Beathard v LAR (leaning this way)

Eli @ ATL (Great matchup but gulp.....)

Keenum @ Arizona

Marriota @ LAC

I'm in rough shape this week.
Do not play any of those slugs over Watson.

at the same time, I fully intend to start Winston over Watson and am debating grabbing Mayfield to start over Watson in another league
I currently have Mayfield over Watson this week. I’d prefer he take a week or so off to heal, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen. 

Watson, who is officially listed on the injury report with a chest injury, had the opportunity Wednesday to respond to a report of him playing with a partially collapsed lung and a broken rib against the Dallas Cowboys in Week 5.

While the second-year quarterback didn't confirm or deny the report, Watson made it clear whatever ailed him wouldn't keep him off the field.
What? 

Do not play any of those slugs over Watson.
...but that OL. It's been brutal and it won't improve @ Jax. I think Beathard's floor/ceiling combo is just a safer play for one week. I'm willing to be way wrong and will be glad Watson played well under brutal circumstances if I am.

This injury he's been dealing with sounds like serious stuff.

He couldn't even fly with the team to Sunday's game.  He was not cleared to fly and had to take a bus to Jacksonville and he had to take a bus home and he's got a Thursday Night game this week.  Its not just a 'bruise' he's dealing with a 'partially collapsed' lung.

-----------------------

Deshaun Watson should be able to fly to Texans' next road game

Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson is spending the first part of his short week on a bus ride home from Jacksonville.

His 12-hour trek on a custom bus is the reverse course of the trip he took from Houston to Jacksonville for Sunday’s game against the Jaguars.

The Texans host the Dolphins on Thursday, and Watson will be playing with a partially collapsed lung – just like he has in winning the past two games.

Two weeks ago, in a victory over the Cowboys, Watson was knocked around and on the sideline was repeatedly checked with a stethoscope. The doctors were listening for breathe sounds to evaluate lung function.

Watson played in last week’s home victory over the Bills but was not himself.

...The reason for his not flying with the rest of the team is due to a fear that a partially collapsed lung could get worse with the change in air pressure that comes with a flight. It is better safe than sorry.
David J. Chao, MD‏Verified account @ProFootballDoc 35m35 minutes ago

To clarify @deshaunwatson has more than "buised lungs", bus trip for partially collapsed lung.

I'm expecting him to get hot down the stretch and help win championships again when he's healthy. They're essentially winning without him right now but that won't continue

I'm expecting him to get hot down the stretch and help win championships again when he's healthy. They're essentially winning without him right now but that won't continue
I’m hopeful that can start tonight. Every game I watch he’s shedding a tackle and running for his life behind that line... he’s shaking free and not getting sacked at times, but not turning it into some of those crazy big plays I watched last year.

Im stubborn when it comes to the QB I draft every year. So my chips are in on Watson. Time to turn the ship around, starting tonight.

Looking backward at the Dolphins schedule, there hasn’t been too many QBs that have had studly performances against them. I don’t watch enough Dolphins football to know what their defense is built to do well.

Users who are viewing this thread