What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (3 Viewers)

This is a follow up on a prior comment in the Duke thread but it seems to me the failure to lean on Coutee & Duke is contributing to Watson’s sack problems. Maybe it’s the staff, maybe it’s Watson, I dunno. - However the 11 targets to Akins & Fells works I guess, Watson took just 2 sacks vs the Chargers, so maybe that works.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a follow up on a prior comment in the Duke thread but it seems to me the failure to lean on Coutee & Duke is contributing to Watson’s sack problems. Maybe it’s the staff, maybe it’s Watson, I dunno. - However the 11 targets to Akins & Fells works I guess, Watson took just 2 sacks vs the Chargers, so maybe that works.
I've got Will Fuller V on one of my fantasy teams. Houston loves the deeper routes. Fuller's air yards and aDOT as ridiculous, and I suspect Stills and Hopkins are pretty much up there given their respective positions. 

Deshaun Watson completed 21-of-33 passes for 160 yards, zero touchdowns and zero interceptions in the Texans' 16-10, Week 4 loss to the Panthers.

Watson struggled to find a consistent rhythm all afternoon and was sacked six times. The Texans offense largely relied on the run game and short-to-intermediate passes for most of the game. Watson badly missed wide-open WRs on pretty much his only two shot plays. Both Will Fuller and DeAndre Hopkins had realistic opportunities to convert those targets into scores with better throws. Watson managed to somewhat salvage his day from a fantasy perspective with a short touchdown run from the one-yard line. Luckily, the Texans are in a prime get-right spot at home against the Falcons in Week 5.

Sep 29, 2019, 4:48 PM ET

Another six sacks today.  Jesus.  Not sure if it's Deshaun being stubborn or BOB sucking (why not both), but he isn't going to make it to the halfway mark at this point if he keeps taking this many sacks.

Houston's a dumpster fire and someone in the ownership group needs to step in. 

Another six sacks today.  Jesus.  Not sure if it's Deshaun being stubborn or BOB sucking (why not both), but he isn't going to make it to the halfway mark at this point if he keeps taking this many sacks.

Houston's a dumpster fire and someone in the ownership group needs to step in. 
I've watched. It's got to be a combination of the two. They run deep routes that take a long time to develop. Stills going down in the slot today couldn't have helped their offensive continuity. Also, Fuller V was open twice deep, and Deshaun just flat missed him twice. 

Deshaun Watson completed 28-of-33 passes for 426 yards, five touchdowns and zero interceptions in the Texans' 53-32, Week 5 win over the Falcons.

Watson added another 47 yards on the ground. Miraculously, Watson wasn't sacked all game. He finished with a perfect 158.3 QB rating. The Texans' franchise QB routinely put the ball exactly where it needed to go, which was typically into the waiting arms of Will Fuller (14-217-3). The Falcons simply didn't have an answer for the Texan's passing game, as Houston didn't need the services of their punter after the first drive of the game. Continue to treat Watson as a top-three QB ahead of next week's matchup against the Chiefs.

Had him on the bench in one league this week, in case you were ever thinking of listening to anything I say ever.

Historic day for Watson

Cleats to Canton

The first player in NFL history to pass for at least 400 yards and five TDs with five or fewer incompletions in a single game.  
Maybe the most remarkable feat of the game was the fact that he wasn't sacked.  

Im embarrassed to say what I traded him away for prior to the Atlanta game (knowing full well he'd destroy Atlanta). I know hes a stud QB but his offensive line leaves a lot to be desired and he always mixes duds in without any inkling of when they are coming. I call him the Mike Evans of QBs. That being said I had Russell Wilson too and was desperate for a WR. Dude's a stud though.

I got Fitz

This year, his duds seem to correlate with the games in which the Texans defense holds down the opposing team's offense.  Small sample size, but it suggests it is game script based (offense plays conservatively when the defense is playing well).  If that is true, it does kind of allow you to predict how he is going to do.  For example, I would be surprised if he did poorly this week against KC.  

This year, his duds seem to correlate with the games in which the Texans defense holds down the opposing team's offense.  Small sample size, but it suggests it is game script based (offense plays conservatively when the defense is playing well).  If that is true, it does kind of allow you to predict how he is going to do.  For example, I would be surprised if he did poorly this week against KC.  
I was hoping improved o line play will be a catalyst for more even production. I mean tunsil had only been on the team for a month... Hoping they keep improving because if Watson has time he can slice up a defense

I wanted this guy in every draft I had. He got picked in the first round of a Superflex before I could go, I got ADP gonked on another, and finally jumped to land him in a third. Love his game, hate the sacks. Houston is a fun team to watch. 

I wanted this guy in every draft I had. He got picked in the first round of a Superflex before I could go, I got ADP gonked on another, and finally jumped to land him in a third. Love his game, hate the sacks. Houston is a fun team to watch. 
They are.. Love O'Brien.. Loved him at Penn State and thought he was a great hire.

Deshaun Watson completed 22-of-28 passes for 201 yards and two touchdowns in the Texans' 26-3 Week 9 win over Jacksonville.

Watson only needed to manage this one, with the Texans defense holding the Jaguars to just a field goal. He threw a pair of goal-line TDs to help salvage his day. He's now bounced back with consecutive multi-TD games after a Week 7 loss to the Colts. The win moves the Texans to 6-3 going into their bye. Watson will get a matchup with the Ravens when he returns in Week 11.

Nov 3, 2019, 12:48 PM ET

This guy is fun to watch but he is not going to last playing like this.  His ankles and knees are so close to getting bent so awkwardly on so many plays.

Deshaun Watson completed 18-of-29 passes for 169 yards, zero touchdowns and an interception in the Texans' 41-7, Week 11 loss to the Ravens, also losing a fumble.

Watson added just three rushes for 12 yards. It was one of the worst starts of his career, as well as the first where the Texans lost by two scores or more. That is remarkable. Under siege, Watson took six sacks for 49 yards, and nearly got his right leg destroyed in the process. Watson appeared to suffer a bad ankle sprain late in the first half but miraculously stayed in the game. He was trying to do too much on both of his turnovers, refusing to go down on the fumble and tossing the ball across his body into a pack of 4-5 Ravens for his pick. It was a horrendous decision. Watson has just four days to get ready for a Thursday night matchup with the big-play limiting Colts.

Deshaun Watson completed 19-of-30 passes for 298 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in the Texans' 20-17, Week 12 win over the Colts.

Watson added three rushes for 10 additional yards. Entering the evening in the midst of one of the quiter stretches of his career, Watson seemed to be missing burner Will Fuller. He quickly confirmed as much by finding Fuller for one big play after another. Fuller's presence also seemed to free DeAndre Hopkins, whom Watson found for a pair of 30-plus yard scores. Watson finished the night with a whopping five 30-plus yard competitions. That's against a Colts defense that works overtime to limit big plays. The Texans' offense looked as dangerous as it had in over a month. Watson will have the toughest of Week 13 assignments as he looks to stay rolling, as the Texans will be hosting the Patriots' league-best defense.

Nov 21, 2019, 11:26 PM ET

Deshaun Watson completed 18-of-25 passes for 234 yards and three touchdowns in the Texans' Week 13 win over the Patriots.

He added a six-yard receiving TD on a pass from DeAndre Hopkins. Watson spread it around in this one, with none of his receivers going over 70 yards. His touchdowns came on checkdowns to Duke Johnson and Darren Fells and a deep shot to Kenny Stills from 35 yards out. It's a huge game from Watson that puts the Texans in the driver seat in the AFC South. Watson has another tough matchup against the Broncos in Week 14, but he'll remain one of the top quarterback plays for the first round of the fantasy playoffs.

Deshaun Watson completed 19-of-27 passes for 243 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions in the Texans' 24-21, Week 15 win over the Titans, adding seven rushes for 32 additional yards.

Even with Will Fuller active, it was far from Watson's best effort. He killed the Texans' opening drive with a goal line interception to Kenny Vaccaro, getting fooled by the safety. He then found Kenny Stills for a pair of touchdowns before throwing yet another goal line pick in the waning moments of the third quarter. Watson tossed the ball into a crowd of Titans and it got batted up into the air. Four of Watson's 11 INTs have come in the past two weeks, while he hasn't had a 300-yard day through the air in eight weeks. Thankfully for surviving fantasy players, the Bucs are the ultimate finals matchup for Week 16.

Deshaun Watson completed 19-of-32 passes for 184 yards and one interception in Houston's Week 16 win over the Buccaneers.

He also scrambled seven times for 37 yards despite battling through an ankle injury from the third quarter on. Houston clinched their fourth division title in the last five years in the ugliest of ways, totaling 228 yards and two turnovers on offense. Their lone touchdown was a one-yard run up the middle from Carlos Hyde (17/27/1). It's obvious to anyone watching football that this offense completely breaks whenever Will Fuller (groin) isn't available, and his lingering soft tissue injury mid-game propelled Houston to one of their worst performances of the season. Fortunately for the Texans, it doesn't matter when Jameis Winston counters poor play with four picks of his own. With Kenny Stills (hamstring), Fuller, and Watson presumably banged up after this one, it wouldn't be shocking to see them all rested for the regular season finale ahead of Wild Card weekend.

I think I remember looking at this matchup vs. the Bucs in the preseason,  thinking it was ideal for a week 16 championship. 

All the experts ranked him as the #2 QB for the week. What could've we done.

I think I remember looking at this matchup vs. the Bucs in the preseason,  thinking it was ideal for a week 16 championship. 

All the experts ranked him as the #2 QB for the week. What could've we done.
So True..... I feel a little better now.....

The Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson reports Deshaun Watson (back) is not expected to play in Week 17 against the Titans.

This was always expected despite coach Bill O'Brien's claim their starters would be out there. The Texans can arbitrarily jostle their seeding for Wild Card weekend with a win and a Chiefs loss to the Chargers, but rest should (and will) obviously be prioritized; the Chiefs are also favored by two scores (-9) at home. DeAndre Hopkins (illness), Will Fuller (groin), LT Laremy Tunsil, and CB Bradley Roby are among those expected to join Watson in resting prior to returning to the field this postseason. Sunday will make for A.J. McCarron's first start since Week 15 of the 2015 season.

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Dec 29, 2019, 1:39 AM ET

Deshaun Watson completed 20-of-25 passes for 247 yards and one touchdown in the Texans' 22-19, Wild Card overtime win over the Bills Saturday.

He added a second touchdown as a runner, compiling 55 yards and that score on 14 rushing attempts. Following that third-quarter rushing score from 20 yards out where he bowled over several defenders at the goal line, Watson also ran in the two-point conversion. The Texans were hut out 16-0 in the first half, but Watson started using his legs more in the second half and was forcing the ball to DeAndre Hopkins to pull Houston back. Escaping a sack in overtime, Watson hit Taiwan Jones for a 34-yard catch-and-run deep into Buffalo territory to set up the game-winning chip-shot field goal. The Texans will travel to either Kansas City or Baltimore next weekend.

JohnnyU said:
Best play of the year and one of the best plays in NFL history.
Amazing play. I think if only one of the Bills gets there he is down...but both of them kind of counter balanced him. Crazy game that could have gone either way.

Deshaun Watson completed 31-of-52 passes for 388 yards and two touchdowns while adding 37 yards and a touchdown on six carries Sunday in Houston’s Divisional Round loss to the Chiefs.

Watson, who took four sacks for a loss of 26 yards in Sunday's defeat, staked the Texans to an early 24-point advantage behind a pair of first-half touchdown passes including a 54-yard dime to an inexplicably wide-open Kenny Stills on Houston's opening drive. It all fell apart from there as Houston, thanks in large part to Bill O'Brien's bizarre coaching (he surrendered any lingering momentum the Texans may have had by opting for an ill-advised fake punt on their own 31-yard-line), watched its early lead go down the tubes in a 20-point loss. Watson couldn't match Patrick Mahomes' five touchdowns, but he was still plenty good, even if a large chunk of his output (222 yards) came with Houston trailing in the second half. Already among the league's top dual threats, the explosive 24-year-old should be in line for a well-deserved (and potentially record-setting) extension this offseason.

Jan 12, 2020, 6:39 PM ET

The Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson reports the Texans intend to negotiate a long-term deal with Deshaun Watson.

Wilson called the team's decision to exercise their 2021 fifth-year club option for Watson a procedural formality. The Texans have reportedly already started "very preliminary" discussions with Watson. It'd behoove them to get a deal done before Patrick Mahomes' inevitable gigantic extension.

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Apr 27, 2020, 12:33 PM ET

How does he fare without Hopkins?  His legs will keep him top 10.  Is there enough passing game with Cooks to keep him top 5?

Users who are viewing this thread