What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (4 Viewers)

DESHAUN WATSON QB, HOUSTON TEXANS

Deshaun Watson has been working out with Brandin Cooks, Randall Cobb, Keke Coutee, and second-year TE Kahale Warring during the pandemic.

Houston's virtual offseason program concludes Thursday, and word is Watson will get right back to work with his new wideouts after the Texans traded No. 1 receiver DeAndre Hopkins in a deal for David Johnson. Will Fuller's name was notably absent, so it's safe to assume he hasn't been cleared from offseason core-muscle surgery. Watson has a lot on his plate and could be involved in plenty of shootouts this year, putting him right in the conversation as fantasy's overall QB1.

RELATED: 

Brandin Cooks

, Randall Cobb

, Keke Coutee

, Kahale Warring

SOURCE: Houston Chronicle

Jun 10, 2020, 10:21 AM ET

Texans coach/GM Bill O'Brien said the team is working on a contract extension with Deshaun Watson

We first heard of a possible Watson deal back in April. There was speculation the Patrick Mahomes extension could put Watson talks on hold, but Watson is looking for a shorter-term contract. Watson has an extensive injury history — he lost nine games to a torn ACL as a rookie and played through multiple injuries last year. With DeAndre Hopkins traded and Watson under team control the next two seasons, it’s possible the Texans could get Watson cheaper if they wait until next offseason.

SOURCE: ESPN

Jul 31, 2020, 5:29 PM ET

Profootballtalk's Mike Florio reports Deshaun Watson is seeking a three-year extension in contract talks. 

In other words, Watson isn't interested in a Patrick Mahomes-style decade-plus commitment. Per Florio, Mahomes' deal is expected to remain an outlier. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Watson and the Texans have been "working hard" on an accord. Watson remains under team control through 2021. It's a strong bet the Texans will not allow this to become a Dak Prescott situation and will get Watson extended sooner rather than later. 

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on Twitter 

Sep 3, 2020, 5:38 PM ET

Watson deal done. 

HOUSTON -- The Houston Texans have signed quarterback Deshaun Watson to a four-year, $160 million contract extension, his agent confirmed to ESPN on Saturday.

The total value of the deal is worth a total of $177.54 million with nearly $111 million in guarantees, a source told ESPN. It is the second-largest total contract and guaranteed money in NFL history behind Patrick Mahomes' 12-year deal signed earlier this offseason

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29817160/texans-deshaun-watson-reach-4-year-160m-extension-agent-says%3fplatform=amp

LOOK AT ME I BEAT FAUST TO AN UPDATE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Watson deal done. 

HOUSTON -- The Houston Texans have signed quarterback Deshaun Watson to a four-year, $160 million contract extension, his agent confirmed to ESPN on Saturday.

The total value of the deal is worth a total of $177.54 million with nearly $111 million in guarantees, a source told ESPN. It is the second-largest total contract and guaranteed money in NFL history behind Patrick Mahomes' 12-year deal signed earlier this offseason

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29817160/texans-deshaun-watson-reach-4-year-160m-extension-agent-says%3fplatform=amp

LOOK AT ME I BEAT FAUST TO AN UPDATE!
Man - I kinda liked the idea of him playing for a contract this year, since I just stole him in my draft last night. 

I hope he’s still hungry. :)  

Where did you get him? I got him mid 6th in a 12 man league two nights ago. I was pleased he was on the board there.
Headed to the 6-7 turn K.Murray & Watson were on the board & 1.01 already had a QB.

i figured I’d be thrilled with either & the turn needed WRs, so I took Parker at 6.10 as my WR3, team 1.02 took K.Murray and Watson made it back. 

of the two I was hoping for Watson, so needless to say I was psyched. 

ETA: bear in mind it’s an IDP league & 4-5 top defensive players went in the 5th-6th, so draft position is a little wonky. Still a great value. 

Headed to the 6-7 turn K.Murray & Watson were on the board & 1.01 already had a QB.

i figured I’d be thrilled with either & the turn needed WRs, so I took Parker at 6.10 as my WR3, team 1.02 took K.Murray and Watson made it back. 

of the two I was hoping for Watson, so needless to say I was psyched. 

ETA: bear in mind it’s an IDP league & 4-5 top defensive players went in the 5th-6th, so draft position is a little wonky. Still a great value. 
Curious what your thought process is with Watson.  I too am looking at him and Murray, but I'm a lil higher on Murray and now he has Nuk.....and I feel like Murray has a good feel for the position already.....Watson has a buncha fast WR's with injury concerns......I do love his game though

Curious what your thought process is with Watson.  I too am looking at him and Murray, but I'm a lil higher on Murray and now he has Nuk.....and I feel like Murray has a good feel for the position already.....Watson has a buncha fast WR's with injury concerns......I do love his game though
I feel like Watson is a little more of a known commodity. 

while I expect and hope for Murray to take a step forward his sophomore year, I’ve seen the level Watson is capable of performing at. I’ve not yet seen that from Murray, and sometimes QBs don’t take that step forward from year 1 to year 2. Sometimes it takes a couple years. Not saying it won’t happen, just saying Watson feels a little safer for having done it. 

i think Watson’s ceiling is as high or higher than Murray’s but also his floor is much more appetizing. I know the lows with Watson are still going to help me compete every week. The lows with Murray might not. 

I feel like if DaJohnson stays healthy (big if, I know) Watson has a lot of vertical weapons in Cooks & Fuller (who both also have to stay healthy) and peripherally DaJo, Duke & Cobb underneath. 

If health isn’t a factor, I like Watson’s weapons just a little more than Hopkins/Kirk, Isabella/aging Fitz/Drake

It’s a narrow gap. I would literally have been happy with either, especially at 7.03 value, so I’m.not sure there was much thought process other than if I wasn’t picky about which QB I took, it allowed me to take the value pick at 6.10

1.01 told me he’d been planning Parker at the turn for 22 picks & was a little ticked, so now I know I would have missed him had I not taken him 6.10

KMurray & Watson were not just the next two QBs on my draft sheet, they were the next two players. Had Watson above Murray for his experience. 

but I was happy as hell eifher way.  It just happened to be the price for taking the WR I wanted was I didn’t get to make that decision. I don’t think it hurt me. It may have helped.

Deshaun Watson completed 20-of-32 passes for 253 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in the Texans' 34-20, Week 1 loss to the Chiefs on Thursday night, adding a second touchdown and 27 yards as a rusher.

It was a nightmare night for Watson before the fourth quarter came around and he was able to pick apart a soft prevent defense for a couple meaningless, garbage-time touchdowns. They weren't meaningless to fantasy managers, however, as the scores definitely saved Watson's week. He appeared to really be missing DeAndre Hopkins' reliable hands and route-running skills as a safety valve. Houston went with a bunch of speed at receiver minus Hopkins, but this offensive line was terrible all night, and plays weren't able to develop down the field. Watson's touchdown pass was a 20-yard hookup with TE Jordan Akins. He could have had a second touchdown pass to Will Fuller, but it was under-thrown a bit. Watson later capped the drive with a one-yard rushing score. Things won't get much easier Week 2 when the Texans host the Ravens.

- Rotoworld

Offense doesn’t look great so far. Going to be a lot of games where he may not do much until the 4th. He’s going to miss Hopkins 

Garbage point king.  Great for fantasy, but him being the 2nd highest paid QB is hilarious.
To be fair, Roethlisberger and Goff are 4th and 5th. Watson is a top-5 NFL QB, but this certainly wasn't his best game, it may however be his worst.

He needs more time with his new WR's. Fuller was the only guy he really had chemistry with(which is probably a bad sign for Stills) but Cooks and probably Cobb should be more involved going forward.

This was one time when exactly what I thought would play out did.  His weapons in the passing game are pretty meh, and it showed.....if/when fuller goes down they are in trouble......I know it's one game, but I'm glad I passed on Watson.

Right, he was drafted to be at the bottom of the QB1 ranks...
Not exactly, but it is just 1 week. And maybe a great buy-low opportunity after next week against BAL 

I don’t expect awesome numbers against the Ravens. What a brutal early schedule. 

I’m fine with his 30.3 points tonight. It looked like he was gonna have 8 for most of the game. 

Not exactly, but it is just 1 week. And maybe a great buy-low opportunity after next week against BAL 

I don’t expect awesome numbers against the Ravens. What a brutal early schedule. 

I’m fine with his 30.3 points tonight. It looked like he was gonna have 8 for most of the game.
That’s the reason for the concern...

If they continue to let him down he'll start using his legs more.

I'm hoping he's similar in the next two games as he's a guy I think I could trade for after a bad start.

Ended up with an ok fantasy game after a 4 point start into the second half. The bad defense should help inflate his fantasy numbers. Needs more time with his receivers. He's going to be fine.

I have shares of him, so I do want to be optimistic. But he looked closer to a guy who just got paid than a guy who wants to be paid. 

As bad as the Texans looked on offense early, I think David Johnson is really going to help Watson if he can stay on the field. He needs another receiver to step up besides Fuller.

He was only 4 points behind Mahomes tonight. That makes him terrible? 
I think the big picture is the offense doesn't look very good.  I think he will miss Nuk tremendously, and I'm glad I stuck with my gut and drafted Kyler, at this point......it's early though and that may not be the case over the long haul......I just didn't see a lot that told me this would be a high powered offense, especially if they lose another WR 

I think the big picture is the offense doesn't look very good.  I think he will miss Nuk tremendously, and I'm glad I stuck with my gut and drafted Kyler, at this point......it's early though and that may not be the case over the long haul......I just didn't see a lot that told me this would be a high powered offense, especially if they lose another WR 
Give him some time to establish rapport with Cooks and Cobb. As good as Nuk is, he wasn't very efficient and required a ton of targets to get his stats. Fuller needs to step up and show he can be a #1.

The Future Champs said:
That’s the reason for the concern...
But then he put up 22 in a hurry, alleviating that concern. 

that’s why he’s a good FF QB. He can put points on the board in a hurry. 

Wigglytuff's Gruff said:
If they continue to let him down he'll start using his legs more.

I'm hoping he's similar in the next two games as he's a guy I think I could trade for after a bad start.
That’s what I said above. KC ~> BAL -~> PIT and some owners might be panicky.  It won’t be me, but some...

ponchsox said:
Give him some time to establish rapport with Cooks and Cobb. As good as Nuk is, he wasn't very efficient and required a ton of targets to get his stats. Fuller needs to step up and show he can be a #1.
But Nuk was a different guy than what he has.  He made difficult catches look easy.  He moved the chains to keep drives goin.  

As much as I love Cooks and Fuller they aren't exactly #1 type receivers.

I was impressed with Akins though.  He could be a nice target moving forward.

Shrek said:
I have shares of him, so I do want to be optimistic. But he looked closer to a guy who just got paid than a guy who wants to be paid. 
I thought he looked fine while Cooks & Fuller were dropping passes that hit them on their hands. 

Kind of a weird take, tbh. I don’t see what his contract has to do with anything - Chiefs pass rush is legit. 

And y’all are acting like this wasn’t the 1st game, during a pandemic, with no preseason, against the defending SB champions.  

Maybe a little perspective could help. 

They really missed DHop drawing double teams to allow the speedsters vertical routes in single coverage. But Watson showed his value with a floor performance against a great team That still got 20pts

I thought he looked fine while Cooks & Fuller were dropping passes that hit them on their hands. 

Kind of a weird take, tbh. I don’t see what his contract has to do with anything - Chiefs pass rush is legit. 

And y’all are acting like this wasn’t the 1st game, during a pandemic, with no preseason, against the defending SB champions.  

I like Deshaun.....he's fun to watch, and he's gonna put up points.  I loved the lil bench move with Mahomes.....I don't like the weapons he has to work with.  The only guy I would want shares of in that offense is DJ.....if he can stay healthy, he is going get as many touches as he can handle......but that's a big if as well.

They really missed DHop drawing double teams to allow the speedsters vertical routes in single coverage. But Watson showed his value with a floor performance against a great team That still got 20pts
30 in my league. 

i think they’ll make adjustments.

This was the 1st real football they’ve played. KC looked a little shaky at times, too. Couple ducks Mahomes sailed on his receivers.

Also BOB should have gone for it on 4th & 4. 

But Fuller was wide open on a pass that bounced off of his hands early, and cooks beat double coverage to have a ball bounce off his hands a little later.  They’re better players than that. They will figure it out. I have faith in that passing game. 

Last night is roughly what I expect for the season and I'm ok with it. The D was bottom of the league last year and looks like they'll be there again this year. That's good news for any QB. Watson is a very good QB that will put up a decent floor and should be a garbage time king all season. If Bortles, as a terrible QB, could be top 10 solely on garbage time, Watson's got a shot at great numbers by padding stats in GT. If he can improve chemistry with Cooks/Cobb/TEs as the season goes on it should improve his floor, as well.

This is fair.  To be transparent, I worry that Cobb is toast, Cooks is a never was, and Fuller doesn't have what it takes to be a WR1, and Week 1 tended to re-enforce those beliefs.  

A measured reaction....lets see if the WR room can do better....is appropriate.

This is fair.  To be transparent, I worry that Cobb is toast, Cooks is a never was, and Fuller doesn't have what it takes to be a WR1, and Week 1 tended to re-enforce those beliefs.  

Cooks has had 1000 yard seasons every time he's switched teams. I don't think you can refer to a dude with his statistical record and call him a "never was". Fuller looked great at times last night too - he had 8/100+, which is what one would expect of a WR1. 

Cobb may well be toast - that is TBD. He looked good at times last year. 

I think we'll start to see better and better as this team gels. There was literally no preseason.  Breathe. 

Cooks is not a never was. Still think if healthy, he could be the #1.

He is definitely missing Hopkins. The quality he's throwing to is bottom of the barrel right now. I see a 1st round WR pick next spring.

Users who are viewing this thread