What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (3 Viewers)

He is definitely missing Hopkins. The quality he's throwing to is bottom of the barrel right now. I see a 1st round WR pick next spring.
1 game against the superbowl champs....this is a really short-sighted post. Cooks & Fuller is not bottom of the barrel. That's preposterous. 

without the fluke rushing TD ... he'd been str8 El Bust O 
And if my aunt had nuts she’d be my uncle.
there was nothing fluke about it… It was a designed quarterback run with a fake to DJ up the middle and it worked so well he crawled into the end zone. Play is like that are the exact reason you draft Deshaun Watson.

where is the fluke?

where is the fluke?
Doesn't make much sense.  Didn't he pass it down to the 1 inch line?

I don't worry about Watson from a 2020 fantasy perspective at all.  He will have to carry this team on his back all season and the poor defense will only help his fantasy prospects.  My only concern is his health behind this line. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't make much sense.  Didn't he pass it down to the 1 inch line?
Passed to the 1. Receiver was tackled. I figured it was either gonna be a sneak or a fake. (In the in-game topic I called for a sneak) 

They went with the fake. worked like a charm. Again - that’s why you draft Watson. Because he does those things. 

Sure, they coulda just handed it to DJ, but that’s not what they did. 

• Smile
Reactions: One
Guy has 5,750 receiving yards and 34 TDs (plus 281 yards rushing with another 2 TDs) in his first six seasons in the league. Seems a pretty unfair assessment.
you parsed my quote....I said:

To be transparent, I worry that Cobb is toast, Cooks is a never was, and Fuller doesn't have what it takes to be a WR1, and Week 1 tended to re-enforce those beliefs.  

Via Ian Rappaport's Twitter: PFF Brandin Cooks season grades: 2017: 70.9 2018: 81.2 2019: 68.1

He has contributed, but has he been worth the contracts given to him?

you parsed my quote....I said:

To be transparent, I worry that Cobb is toast, Cooks is a never was, and Fuller doesn't have what it takes to be a WR1, and Week 1 tended to re-enforce those beliefs.  

Via Ian Rappaport's Twitter: PFF Brandin Cooks season grades: 2017: 70.9 2018: 81.2 2019: 68.1

He has contributed, but has he been worth the contracts given to him?
I was only responding to the Cooks part which is why I parsed it. I stand behind my statement that calling him a "never was" is an unfair statement. That has nothing to do with any contract status (or wonky PFF grades).

without the fluke rushing TD ... he'd been str8 El Bust O 
Ya this is a poor assessment.  Had the receiver gone in he would be down 2 points to around 20.  Even if they handed it to DJ he would have only been 4 points behind Mahomes in week 1 scoring (he outscored Mahomes by 2 in my league).  How is that a "straight bust"? 

Deshaun Watson completed 25-of-36 passes for 275 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in Houston's 33-16 Week 3 battering from the Ravens.

Watson was afforded little time to make plays under center, ultimately taking four sacks, and didn't have Will Fuller (undisclosed) for a majority of play even when he did find time to breathe. The only two threatening possessions for the Texans ended with a fumble from Keke Coutee and a diving interception from Ravens stud CB Marcus Peters. There were already few playmakers on the team, but an extended absence for Fuller would be catastrophic for Houston's anemic offense and, in particular, Watson in the interim. He'll be ranked as a low-end QB1 against Pittsburgh's nightmarish secondary in Week 3.

- Rotoworld

Deshaun Watson completed 19-of-27 passes for 264 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception in Houston's 28-21 Week 3 loss to Pittsburgh.

The Steelers, which were the league's blitz-heaviest team entering Week 3, only rushed four men throughout the game, allowing Watson to bide time and pick apart the middle of the team's secondary with splash plays to Randall Cobb (4/95/1), Brandin Cooks (3/23) and David Johnson (2/23). The Texans exceeded expectations in the first half, taking a 21-17 lead into the intermission, but ultimately went three-and-out on 3-of-4 second-half possessions, falling short to the Steelers' 11-0 run to close the game. Watson hasn't been spectacular through three games, but Houston's schedule finally provides some relief in Week 4 against the Vikings after a hellacious on-paper slate to open the year. He'll be an inarguable QB1 in that matchup.

Sep 27, 2020, 5:41 PM ET

Thoughts on Watson going forward?  I have an opportunity to acquire him but need to be careful what in giving up. Is the slow start based on the loss of Nuk, tough schedule, or overall ineptitude of BOB?

Deshaun Watson completed 20-of-33 passes for 300 yards and two touchdowns in the Texans' 31-23, Week 4 loss to the Vikings. 

The 300-yard game was Watson's first of the season, as was his turnover-free performance. Progress, but fantasy managers would have been justified in expecting more vs. the Vikings' defense, while the Texans are now 0-4. Playing off his back foot the entire game — the Texans never led and were frequently down two scores — Watson kept getting saddled with obvious passing situations and took three sacks. He did find Will Fuller for 6/108/1, but aside from Jordan Akins — who departed with a concussion — no one else caught more than two passes. Bill O'Brien's commandeering of play-calling duties did not have the desired effect for an offense that is simply flat. Thankfully for Watson managers, he has another plus Week 5 matchup in the Jaguars. Hopefully he can finally have a ceiling day. 

Oct 4, 2020, 4:18 PM ET

Deshaun Watson completed 20-of-30 passes for 163 yards and one touchdown in the Texans' 10-7, Week 10 loss to the Browns. 

Watson added eight carries for 36 yards. With gale-like winds swirling off of Lake Erie in Cleveland, the Texans' passing game had nowhere to go. Watson entered halftime with just 71 yards, and was under 100 into the fourth quarter. There was just nothing that could be done in weather conditions that created a 37-minute delay to start the game. Watson had a number of throws that probably could have been caught but were not perfect passes because of the conditions. Speaking to that point, his 16-yard touchdown strike to — we are not making this up — Pharaoh Brown, looked like it may have been intended for Will Fuller, but the wind put Brown in better position. Headed home to domed Houston to face New England in Week 11, Watson should bounce back with a vengeance. 

- Rotoworld

Deshaun Watson has accounted for 88 percent of the Texans' offensive yardage this season. 

That would be the highest rate for a player in the past decade if it holds for the next six weeks. Houston's offense is a bottom-tier unit without their all-world QB, who threw for 344 yards and three touchdowns in Week 11 against the Patriots. If Houston is in a good spot against a suspect defense, he's going to produce or no one in the Texans' offense is going or produce. Watson is a high-end QB1 for Week 12 against a Detroit defense that just gave up 16.7 fantasy points to P.J. Walker. 

SOURCE: Paul Hembekides on Twitter 

Nov 23, 2020, 12:30 PM ET

Best player in the NFL right now in my opinion. Not saying he's the best in general, but he's playing the best right now.

foxco said:
Hope he can keep it up, tough schedule ahead. Really fun player to watch. 
Is it though? To borrow from my post in the Texans/Lions thread:

I don't see the Colts as a bad matchup at all. They have given up 300+ yards and 3 TD's to QBs in 2 of their last 4 games. Really the only QB they've really shut down on the last 6 weeks is Ryan Tannehill on that Thursday Night game.

Chicago is tougher, because a)they are better, and b)they don't keep up, possibly not even against Houston's d. That said 280 and 2 TD's allowed in 2 of the last 3, against Brees(plus 30 plus rushing to Hill) and Cousins. 

Watson probably won't be QB1 overall those weeks, but no reason he can't be top-5, and no reason Fuller/Cooks can't both be WR2s.

Is it though? To borrow from my post in the Texans/Lions thread:

I don't see the Colts as a bad matchup at all. They have given up 300+ yards and 3 TD's to QBs in 2 of their last 4 games. Really the only QB they've really shut down on the last 6 weeks is Ryan Tannehill on that Thursday Night game.

Chicago is tougher, because a)they are better, and b)they don't keep up, possibly not even against Houston's d. That said 280 and 2 TD's allowed in 2 of the last 3, against Brees(plus 30 plus rushing to Hill) and Cousins. 

Watson probably won't be QB1 overall those weeks, but no reason he can't be top-5, and no reason Fuller/Cooks can't both be WR2s.
I like his floor. Most of us drafted him after we filled out the rest of our WR/RB/TE/Flex spots. Wasn’t expecting elite production from him, especially after the team got off to a disastrous start. I don’t need him to carry my team like he has been 6 of the last 7, just do no harm. He hasn’t dropped below 25 since WK 4 except for that ridiculous wind game in CLE.

Unrelated to FF, Watson makes that HC position very attractive. Hope they land EB.

I like his floor. Most of us drafted him after we filled out the rest of our WR/RB/TE/Flex spots. Wasn’t expecting elite production from him, especially after the team got off to a disastrous start. I don’t need him to carry my team like he has been 6 of the last 7, just do no harm. He hasn’t dropped below 25 since WK 4 except for that ridiculous wind game in CLE.

Unrelated to FF, Watson makes that HC position very attractive. Hope they land EB.
Earle Bruce?

travdogg said:
Best player in the NFL right now in my opinion. Not saying he's the best in general, but he's playing the best right now.
I can't recall seeing such a comfortable pocket passer who can snap into "oh ####" tuck and run mode so effortlessly. He goes from statue to sprinter in the blink of an eye.

Feeling a little less confident about the FF playoffs with Fuller out. But he’s still got a great floor IMO. I just don’t think I could live with putting a win or go home WKs 14-16 on what’s left on the WW (Cousins, Minshew, Rivers, Stafford, Trashbags.)

Feeling a little less confident about the FF playoffs with Fuller out. But he’s still got a great floor IMO. I just don’t think I could live with putting a win or go home WKs 14-16 on what’s left on the WW (Cousins, Minshew, Rivers, Stafford, Trashbags.)
Yeah, the ceiling takes a hit with no Fuller, but I can't come up with more than 5-6 QB's I'd rather start. 

It also possible that without Fuller, Watson runs more often.

Yeah, the ceiling takes a hit with no Fuller, but I can't come up with more than 5-6 QB's I'd rather start. 

It also possible that without Fuller, Watson runs more often.
That’s been the only disappointment so far; in his first three years he was good for a couple long ones (>30 yards) every year; long this season is 16. He had a rushing TD week 1 & didn’t see another until week 11. Considering he had 7 & 5 the last two seasons, expected more. Of course TDs are variable (always, with any player), hard to predict, but that might end up saving a few of these tough matchups coming up.

With the vertical game taking a huge hit and their abysmal rushing attack, would love to see them game plan a boatload of slants and bubble screens to Keke Coutee. He was often in BOB’s doghouse but he’s a talented YAC guy when he’s healthy. Isaiah Couter (about to make his NFL debut) is a pencil but I expect him to quickly pass Stevie Mitchell to become the WR3. Cobb (IR) isn’t eligible to return until week 15.

TE Akins has murder holes where his hands are supposed to be....

Henry doesn't think there will be an issue with Fuller's absence and tough schedule (ROY rankings).

Deshaun Watson completed 21-of-30 passes for 219 yards and one touchdown in the Texans' Week 14 loss to the Bears.

Watson is playing behind a bottom-three offensive line and his top six targets on Sunday were Chad Hansen, Jordan Akins, Steven Mitchell, Keke Coutee, Duke Johnson, and Buddy Howell. The Texans' front office has set up their franchise-lifting quarterback with absolutely nothing. It's going to be an uphill battle for Watson to grind out top eight fantasy finishes down the stretch, but he should have better odds whenever Brandin Cooks returns or when Houston faces an easier defense. Watson will be on the QB1/2 border in Indianapolis for Week 15.

- Rotoworld

Deshaun Watson completed 33-of-41 passes for 373 yards and two touchdowns in the Texans' 27-20, Week 15 loss to the Colts, adding six rushes for 25 additional yards. 

Watson shredded the Colts for the second time in three weeks, but as was the case in Week 13, the Texans' upset bid was ended by a red zone turnover in the dying moments of the game. Today, it was a Keke Coutee fumble into the end zone. Considering the lack of weapons at his disposal, Watson has played as well as possible in three games since Will Fuller's steroid suspension began, though it has resulted in only three passing scores. He has added at least 6/25 as a rusher each time out, along with one ground score. Watson continues to operate near an MVP level, though it will be lost in the noise of the Texans' go-nowhere season. Get this man a competent coach and general manager. Despite his shaky surrounding circumstances, Watson will remain a top-10 option for Week 16 against the Bengals. 

Dec 20, 2020, 4:00 PM ET

Deshaun Watson completed 24-of-33 passes for 324 yards with three touchdowns in Week 16 against the Bengals.

Watson had a few highlights in this one, including a 25-yard touchdown pass across his body to Brandin Cooks. He's now up to 13 touchdowns outside the red-zone this season, the most in the NFL. Watson lost a fumble and was injured on the next-to-last drive, but came out to finish the final series. Even playing without Will Fuller, Randall Cobb, and an injured offensive line, Watson has 697 yards (349 YPG) and five touchdowns over the past two weeks. Watson will remain a top-10 option for Week 17 against the Titans.

- Rotoworld

Deshaun Watson (hand) said he'll play in Week 17 against the Titans. 

Watson injured his throwing hand near the end of Week 16's loss to the Bengals. He required help from trainers to make it back to the sideline, where they evaluated the injury. Interim head coach Romeo Crennel said Watson "got it banged up but he was able to come back. He felt good about it. The doctors didn’t think anything major was an issue." Watson confirmed he'll suit up next week against the Titans and their disastrous secondary and nonexistent pass rush. 

SOURCE: TexansWire.com 

Dec 28, 2020, 8:51 AM ET

Believe I saw a blurb last week that Watson is the 1st QB in history with 10+ losses still with an over 100 QB rating.

Deshaun Watson completed 28-of-39 passes for 365 yards, three touchdowns and an interception in the Texans' 41-38, Week 17 loss to the Titans. 

It was a fitting end to Watson's shadow MVP campaign in every way, right down to the Texans' defense allowing yet another late score for a nail-biting loss. Watson won't come up in any MVP conversations because his team finished 4-12, but he played at that level, generating 4,823 passing yards and 33 scores to go along with 90/444/3 on the ground. Watson completed 70.2 percent of his throws while averaging 8.9 yards per attempt. That's ludicrous efficiency at that level of YPA, especially since Watson turned the ball over only nine times all year. Especially since a suspended Will Fuller did not play after Thanksgiving. Fuller's free agency will be the first pressing issue for Watson this offseason, though fellow deep threat Brandin Cooks should be back for 2021. It is possible the rebuilding Texans trade Cooks. Still only 25 years old, Watson is as good of a building block as there is in the league.

- Rotoworld

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Deshaun Watson is upset over the Texans' hiring process for general manager and has not spoken to team brass "in the last few days." 

Yikes. ESPN's Adam Schefter adds more context, reporting Watson met with owner Cal McNair and "shared thoughts on certain candidates that came highly recommended." The front office reportedly promised Watson he would have input. Per Schefter, Watson "did not expect Houston to hire those that he endorsed, but he was hoping the Texans would be respectful of the feelings of the group of his teammates that he was trying to represent." Instead, Watson was apparently kept completely out of the loop and found out about Nick Caserio's hiring on social media. The episode especially stung Watson because he was also kept in the dark on DeAndre Hopkins' trade. None of this is surprising coming from one of the most dysfunctional organizations in North American sports. The Texans still possess nearly all of the leverage after extending Watson's contract in September, but we wouldn't consider it a guarantee that the superstar remains in Houston. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Jan 7, 2021, 7:33 PM ET

He will get over it.  Watson is too good to even consider trading. The Texans are out of their minds if they even think about it. 

Believe I saw a blurb last week that Watson is the 1st QB in history with 10+ losses still with an over 100 QB rating.
That is pretty amazing. Hope HOU does whatever is necessary to avoid wasting this guys prime years. He is one of the NFL’s best at his position. If things continue to get uglier between ownership and Watson...in a fantasy world....what team would be the best fit to trade for him? Not that it likely but HOU has not been an example of good decision making.

Users who are viewing this thread