What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (3 Viewers)

John McClain@McClain_on_NFL

I’ve got a better chance of becoming the Texans’ new head coach than Deshaun Watson has of being traded.

That is pretty amazing. Hope HOU does whatever is necessary to avoid wasting this guys prime years. He is one of the NFL’s best at his position. If things continue to get uglier between ownership and Watson...in a fantasy world....what team would be the best fit to trade for him? Not that it likely but HOU has not been an example of good decision making.
If we are just spitballing it’s hard to say, Watson has a no trade clause so he can veto anywhere he doesn’t want to go. And we don’t know where he would want to go. Most likely it would need to be an NFC team to keep him out of conference. Carolina maybe since they are close to Clemson?

Also an issue of compensation, Jamal Adams was traded for 2 firsts and he’s a safety. How much would a stud QB that’s only 25 be? Twice that maybe? Who could even afford to pay that? The Jets and Miami look like the only teams with ammo to make a trade but would they pay it? Maybe some combo of players and picks?

Seems inconceivable Watson would be traded even if he does request a trade, especially since all we have are rumors he may ask for one. I understand keeping him happy as the future of the franchise but I also don’t think ownership should base their hiring decisions solely upon what the players want. Although no one has any confidence in the Texans decisions either.

I do know if they trade him that would be a massive final nail in the coffin for fans like myself who will start looking for a new team. Would be very difficult for the fan base to come back after such a long string of bad decisions and then that. They better make a good head coaching hire soon, many of us are not happy with the Caserio hire due to the optics of more of the same.

If we are just spitballing it’s hard to say, Watson has a no trade clause so he can veto anywhere he doesn’t want to go. And we don’t know where he would want to go. Most likely it would need to be an NFC team to keep him out of conference. Carolina maybe since they are close to Clemson?

Also an issue of compensation, Jamal Adams was traded for 2 firsts and he’s a safety. How much would a stud QB that’s only 25 be? Twice that maybe? Who could even afford to pay that? The Jets and Miami look like the only teams with ammo to make a trade but would they pay it? Maybe some combo of players and picks?

Seems inconceivable Watson would be traded even if he does request a trade, especially since all we have are rumors he may ask for one. I understand keeping him happy as the future of the franchise but I also don’t think ownership should base their hiring decisions solely upon what the players want. Although no one has any confidence in the Texans decisions either.

I do know if they trade him that would be a massive final nail in the coffin for fans like myself who will start looking for a new team. Would be very difficult for the fan base to come back after such a long string of bad decisions and then that. They better make a good head coaching hire soon, many of us are not happy with the Caserio hire due to the optics of more of the same.
Miami seems like the only possible destination as they have picks and could potentially throw in Tua as well, but saying that I agree he's not going anywhere.

If he moves I hope it is to the NFC. A couple of the powerhouse QBs are getting older and there are a LOT of good young ones in the AFC. 

Texans CEO Cal McNair said he hasn't heard from Deshaun Watson and hopes to speak with him soon.

"I've come to understand that it's been reported that Deshaun feels left out of the process, but he and I had several visits and I understood his point of view before meeting with candidates," McNair said Friday. "I've reached out to Deshaun about Nick's hire, and I look forward to him getting back to me when he returns from his vacation." It's clearly lost on McNair that Watson was heard before Caserio's hiring then practically ignored in the next step of Houston's search. The Texans also didn't so much as request an interview with Chiefs OC Eric Bienemy, who was the one coach Watson strongly advocated for when asked his opinions. Caserio claims Watson "is our quarterback" moving forward, but an early split in ideology is a horrific start for both sides.

SOURCE: Sarah Barshop on Twitter

Jan 8, 2021, 3:13 PM ET

Aside from not getting paid, what's stopping Watson from just throwing up his hands and demanding to be traded or else he's "retiring" until his contract is up?

Considering that football is the most damaging sport on the body and Watson's style of play doesn't exactly lead to a healthy spine at 50, plus the millions he's already made, minus the continued ineptitude of the Texans organization, I personally don't understand why he'd want to play for a team that looks to be in a 2000s-2019 level Cleveland Browns mire.

Aside from not getting paid, what's stopping Watson from just throwing up his hands and demanding to be traded or else he's "retiring" until his contract is up?
I also believe they could go after most of his signing bonus which is the majority of the money he’s made in his career so far. His rookie contract didn’t pay him much (relatively speaking) as the Texans extended him in year 4.

The NBA has a way of making everyone (especially in Miami) think anything is possible.

lets assume miami offers Tua, their later first round pick (19), their later second round pick, and a first next year for Watson? 

If pat riley ran the dolphins this would get done in a heartbeat. The truth is you can’t start a franchise without a qb, but right now the Texans are in trouble. They need picks and cap relief as most teams do when they load up for a championship run and see the wheels fly off. 

these things really don’t happen in the nfl but they really should. 

If this gets to the point of no return here are the three teams I think are in the best position to make a deal (and they just happen to have the first three picks in the draft):

*Jacksonville-Can't see them not settling in with Trevor but they could dangle what appears to be a sure thing (Lawrence) for a definite sure thing in Watson...they have a ton of other picks as well...don't think this will happen but they have the ammo.

*NY Jets-You get either Fields or Wilson at #2 and then start adding on other picks...they own Seattle's #1 this year and next...x-factor is would Watson be OK with getting dealt there.

*Miami-probably the most realistic landing spot...you have your choice of two young QBs in Tua or what's left over from Fields and Wilson and Miami also has another #1 and two #2's with that other #2 being a very high second rounder.

Gotta believe the Texans do everything in their power to keep Watson, he is about the only thing they have going for them after the O'Brien debacle...yet I don't think it can shock anyone if a star player figures out a way to force a trade in 2021...if that is the case then I think the Texans need to figure out a way to address the QB right away and the three teams listed above can do that...the sad part for the Texans is even if they bring in a haul for Watson the fact they don't have a #1 or #2 this year means you don't get the bang for your buck you should.

I can not wait to read the book about Jack Easterby...I'm not even sure he's a real person, it's like he is some type of mystical figure.

I can not wait to read the book about Jack Easterby...I'm not even sure he's a real person, it's like he is some type of mystical figure.
I had no idea who this was. This is why sports fans are doomed sometimes, isn't it? This just looks bad on the surface, and I'm sure is worse underneath it all. Oh my God. This is the guy responsible for all the trades? This originated in New England? Of course it did. That's Belichick's evil plot to take over the AFC.

Jack Easterby

@JackEasterby

Victory minded! Victory hearted! Victory focused! Victory talk! Victory walk! Victory leadership! Victory vision! Victory effort! Victory! Victory! Victory!

If I were GM, I wouldn't take just any deal offered but I would trade away Watson if I got an RG3 type deal for him. 

I look at this from a capitalistic viewpoint. It takes capital/assets to grow an enterprise - if growth is actually the goal. It's possible that the Texans are just worried about year to year attendance, in which case Watson is about their only sellable asset. But let's assume we're talking about upping win totals.

Using capital to grow your business requires sacrificing the current use of the asset in hopes of increased return.

An NFL team has three main assets - the current roster, draft picks, and cap space. As everyone knows, they don't have picks. But worse, the Texans will be entering the 2021 offseason at over $20 million OVER the salary cap. This is the eighth worst number of any team in the NFL. 

So that leaves the current roster. Who, other than Watson, do they have with which they could get anything of significant value in return? Watt is good but breaking down. Their WRs are maybe tradeable. Other than that... :shrug:

The conditions on the upcoming draft are conducive to the Texans trading Watson. The teams at the top of the draft need a QB and the star power that Watson would bring AND there are excellent replacement options for the Texans at the draft slots they'd received receive in return. There is, of course, a huge downside in that Jacksonville is in the same division. But when your franchise is near rock bottom, you worry about those things later.

I could go further, but I think the point is made. If one of the top three teams in the draft wanted to offer me multiple picks - and the top three teams have a surplus - (and/or players) I'd be more inclined to take the deal than not.

It would be extremely difficult to get fan buy in. But to me, the Texans will only limp along by keeping Watson - and they'll end up looking like the Detroit Lions of the south; good QB, nothing else.

Below is a 3 tweets from Mort combined into one:

@mortreport

Reports about Deshaun Watson's unhappiness with @HoustonTexans are accurate and sources close to the QB say he is still angry about team's insensitivity to social justice, including hiring practices, after the franchise failed to interview Chiefs OC Eric Bienemy this past week.

Sources say Watson could play hardball with Texans about a trade. His new $156 million contract includes a no-trade clause but informed speculation from a source is that he would consider the @MiamiDolphins in which Tua Tagovailoa and additional compensation goes to Houston.Let the denials begin but it will be an off-season story, a puzzle of sorts, that promises some drama

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/1348308842149507078

Below is a 3 tweets from Mort combined into one:

@mortreport

Reports about Deshaun Watson's unhappiness with @HoustonTexans are accurate and sources close to the QB say he is still angry about team's insensitivity to social justice, including hiring practices, after the franchise failed to interview Chiefs OC Eric Bienemy this past week.

Sources say Watson could play hardball with Texans about a trade. His new $156 million contract includes a no-trade clause but informed speculation from a source is that he would consider the @MiamiDolphins in which Tua Tagovailoa and additional compensation goes to Houston.Let the denials begin but it will be an off-season story, a puzzle of sorts, that promises some drama

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/1348308842149507078
As a Bills fan: please no thank you. Please send Watson to the NFC where there is a dearth of young stud QBs and away from the AFC which is overflowing with them right now.

If I were GM, I wouldn't take just any deal offered but I would trade away Watson if I got an RG3 type deal for him. 

I look at this from a capitalistic viewpoint. It takes capital/assets to grow an enterprise - if growth is actually the goal. It's possible that the Texans are just worried about year to year attendance, in which case Watson is about their only sellable asset. But let's assume we're talking about upping win totals.

Using capital to grow your business requires sacrificing the current use of the asset in hopes of increased return.

An NFL team has three main assets - the current roster, draft picks, and cap space. As everyone knows, they don't have picks. But worse, the Texans will be entering the 2021 offseason at over $20 million OVER the salary cap. This is the eighth worst number of any team in the NFL. 

So that leaves the current roster. Who, other than Watson, do they have with which they could get anything of significant value in return? Watt is good but breaking down. Their WRs are maybe tradeable. Other than that... :shrug:

The conditions on the upcoming draft are conducive to the Texans trading Watson. The teams at the top of the draft need a QB and the star power that Watson would bring AND there are excellent replacement options for the Texans at the draft slots they'd received receive in return. There is, of course, a huge downside in that Jacksonville is in the same division. But when your franchise is near rock bottom, you worry about those things later.

I could go further, but I think the point is made. If one of the top three teams in the draft wanted to offer me multiple picks - and the top three teams have a surplus - (and/or players) I'd be more inclined to take the deal than not.

It would be extremely difficult to get fan buy in. But to me, the Texans will only limp along by keeping Watson - and they'll end up looking like the Detroit Lions of the south; good QB, nothing else.
What sucks as a Texans fan is that you're right. I still cannot believe it was just two years ago we had Watt/Clowney on one side and Watson/Hopkins on the other and those relationships and pairings have been decimated. If you trade Watson, you almost have to trade Watt too. He's already indicated he wants to play for a winner and if you're trading Watson, you aren't winning anything in the near future.

I curiously browsed Texan fan boards this morning, especially after the Mort news broke above and saw a few folks discussing what fans would think was fair for Watson and saw multiple people align around something like this: 2021 1st, 2021 2nd, 2022 1st, 2022 2nd, Mercilus' contract (and maybe another player to be tossed in). If it isn't something like Tua as already speculated coming back, those 2021 picks would need to be high enough to chase the Fields/Wilson/etc. group at the top of round 1 methinks.

He wants to go to DC. He knows he'll be loved and appreciated there by Ron. He'd be the hero of the city. Get it done Snyder. You've sucked for so long you OWE us this!! Get it right!!!! 

He wants to go to DC. He knows he'll be loved and appreciated there by Ron. He'd be the hero of the city. Get it done Snyder. You've sucked for so long you OWE us this!! Get it right!!!! 
The 19th pick probably isn't enticing enough without giving a LOT more. But yeah, DC is one of the best spots for him.

John McClain@McClain_on_NFL

I’ve got a better chance of becoming the Texans’ new head coach than Deshaun Watson has of being traded.
John McClain has about as much chance of being a competent NFL analyst as the Texans do of holding on to Watson if he forces their hand. 

Team always has more to lose than player.  The absolute best they can do is chop off their nose to spite their face and make the player retire. With the type of deal they can get for Deshaun that's a high price to pay for pride. 

Watson has all of the leverage.   If I understand correctly he can retire and the Texans can come after his bonus money.  But, if they do come after his bonus money they lose his rights.  Fact check that last part please. 

Last edited by a moderator:
kittenmittens said:
John McClain has about as much chance of being a competent NFL analyst as the Texans do of holding on to Watson if he forces their hand. 

Team always has more to lose than player.  The absolute best they can do is chop off their nose to spite their face and make the player retire. With the type of deal they can get for Deshaun that's a high price to pay for pride. 

Watson has all of the leverage.   If I understand correctly he can retire and the Texans can come after his bonus money.  But, if they do come after his bonus money they lose his rights.  Fact check that last part please. 
According to one site I saw, he made about $30M in cash this year. He stands to make $10M next year, then $35M and $37M. 

This is his best time to use his leverage as it minimizes what he loses if he does miss a season. But if the team plays hardball back, it is not a small sum he is putting at risk, let alone having to potentially pay back some signing bonus. 

I think the Texans are going to be under some pressure from other owners NOT to deal him. Opening that flood gate sets a bad precedent for the league (from an owners point of view) and you end up with the NBA. 

According to one site I saw, he made about $30M in cash this year. He stands to make $10M next year, then $35M and $37M. 

This is his best time to use his leverage as it minimizes what he loses if he does miss a season. But if the team plays hardball back, it is not a small sum he is putting at risk, let alone having to potentially pay back some signing bonus. 

I think the Texans are going to be under some pressure from other owners NOT to deal him. Opening that flood gate sets a bad precedent for the league (from an owners point of view) and you end up with the NBA. 
Good points.  I do think it already is the NBA a little when it comes to quarterbacks.  I'm thinking of John Elway and Eli Manning in the draft sense and Carson Palmer and Jay Cutler for unhappy QBs. 

A very unhappy QB showing up to work and going through the motions could be worse for the team than him holding out.  

Theoretically if the Texans play hardball there are numerous ways to force his way out, and the Texans and NFL would have more to lose than Watson if things escalated and Watson did not back down. 

Checking in for the Jets. We have the 2nd and, at worst, 24th pick in the draft in the first round followed by two firsts next year.

Get it done. 

-OZ- said:
The 19th pick probably isn't enticing enough without giving a LOT more. But yeah, DC is one of the best spots for him.
I doubt he’s getting traded, but you’re right that 19 is nowhere near enough for him. I was discussing this in the WFT thread, but I would consider sending Jonathan Allen as part of a package with draft pick compensation. Allen is a stud, but my Skins aren’t going to be able to resign all four of those lineman and Allen might be the odd man out. He would give Houston a defensive anchor on the line to build around. I’d off Allen, the 19 pick this year, and some combination of future draft picks (maybe a future 1st, but more likely a 2/3).

I doubt he’s getting traded, but you’re right that 19 is nowhere near enough for him. I was discussing this in the WFT thread, but I would consider sending Jonathan Allen as part of a package with draft pick compensation. Allen is a stud, but my Skins aren’t going to be able to resign all four of those lineman and Allen might be the odd man out. He would give Houston a defensive anchor on the line to build around. I’d off Allen, the 19 pick this year, and some combination of future draft picks (maybe a future 1st, but more likely a 2/3).

Yeah but he has a trade clause, he gets to accept or reject any trade. No offense, but I SERIOUSLY doubt he wants to be a Jet. 
WFT fans delusional here. They're not going to take Allen, a DT, in return for Watson. You'd need to think Gibson, McLaurin, and Young, at least, considering you've got the 19th pick in the draft.

And as far as the Jets go, nobody says dumpster tire fire like Dan Snyder. You'd be underestimating the desire to play in New York. That's why everyone is hearing Miami. Perfect spot for almost any superstar. Locals aren't rabid about pro football, nightlife is something else, city is crazy, no state income tax.

WFT fans delusional here. They're not going to take Allen, a DT, in return for Watson. You'd need to think Gibson, McLaurin, and Young, at least, considering you've got the 19th pick in the draft.

And as far as the Jets go, nobody says dumpster tire fire like Dan Snyder. You'd be underestimating the desire to play in New York. That's why everyone is hearing Miami. Perfect spot for almost any superstar. Locals aren't rabid about pro football, nightlife is something else, city is crazy, no state income tax.
Well I said Allen in addition to multiple 1sts. Allen is a stud and was a first rounder himself. But yeah, it’s a long shot and unlikely to happen. The only way Watson is getting traded is if he forces his way out. And with the no trade clause he holds the leverage here if he wants to go scorched earth on Houston. He is going to be able to pick his destination. Snyder is the worst no doubt, but he cuts big checks and the team is now in good shape to win now. Why would he ever possibly want to go to NY when they need so much and in order to acquire him they will completely cripple their ability to build around him? He’s not going to want to play in NY for a loser. Him getting traded to the Jets is just not going to happen. The only truly realistic option for both Houston and Watson that could work is Miami. They have the draft capital to get to done, and are in much better shape to build around him (good defense, some talent on the other side of the ball). And all these athletes want to play in Miami. It’s the fit that makes the most sense for sure.

Allen is more valuable than gibson or mcLaurin. At least I think so. 

I'd agree generally playing in NYC is enticing for a stud QB. But he'll want to play for a team he can win with soon.

You give any team a chance to secure a top level quarterback in their prime for three first rounders....they would make that trade 100% of the time.
Agree. Especially teams that have two this year. Then you are only sacrificing one more year and you get a stud at the most valuable position. 

Is he bringing the KC WRs with him? Jamison Crowder ain’t Tyreke.
It’s got nothing to do with Tyreek.  It’s the whole reason Watson is upset with the Texans.  He wanted Bienemy as the next Texans HC.  If the Jets hire Bienemy, then NY becomes significantly more attractive to Watson.  

It’s got nothing to do with Tyreek.  It’s the whole reason Watson is upset with the Texans.  He wanted Bienemy as the next Texans HC.  If the Jets hire Bienemy, then NY becomes significantly more attractive to Watson.  
He wanted a say in the GM hire, or at least for Houston to hear him out. And he’s also upset because Houston has gutted the team around him. He might want Bienemy as coach, but what good is that if he’s playing on a Jets team that can’t rebuild around him since they gave up all their draft picks to get him?

He wanted a say in the GM hire, or at least for Houston to hear him out. And he’s also upset because Houston has gutted the team around him. He might want Bienemy as coach, but what good is that if he’s playing on a Jets team that can’t rebuild around him since they gave up all their draft picks to get him?
You mean as opposed to the Texans who aren’t a dumpster fire? 😛

I don't think a team easily trades away a young top 5 QB such as Watson. I doubt it happens.
I agree. If he is traded, Miami is the most likely scenario. The only way Houston trades him is if Watson truly forces his way out, which it’s starting to sound like he might try.

Users who are viewing this thread