What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (1 Viewer)

Why are the Dolphins the most likely?
Well, for one, it’s being reported (by Chris Mortenson at least) that he would consider going there. He has a no trade clause so he will have a say in his destination if he is dealt. Miami can also put together the best compensation package to Houston (Tua, the 3rd overall pick (which Houston sent to them in the first place), etc.)

A source close to Deshaun Watson told SI.com that Watson "just wants out” of the Texans. 

This comes after Watson tweeted his frustrations with the Texans' front office. Watson has a fractured relationship with EVP Jack Easterby and reportedly considers owner Cal McNair’s remarks regarding their relationship "patronizing." The Texans didn't consult Watson before hiring GM Nick Caserio and failed to interview Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy, who Watson recommended, during the Wild Card round. The Texans may have to pick between keeping Watson and firing Easterby this offseason.

RELATED: 

Jack Easterby

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated

Jan 16, 2021, 10:46 AM ET

Breaking his Twitter silence Friday, Deshaun Watson tweeted, "I was on 2 then I took it to 10."

It was Watson's first tweet of the new year, and one would have to assume it's referring to his frustration level in Houston. Watson was reportedly extremely irked at the Texans' process that led the team to hire Patriots exec Nick Caserio as its new GM. Watson was kept out of the loop in that hiring, and the Texans have been trying to perform damage control ever since, with CEO Cal McNair stating he wants Watson's input on the new head coach. It may be too little, too late in Watson's eyes. He's also said to be frustrated with the team's insensitivity to social justice. Former owner Bob McNair, who has since passed, was in hot water with racist comments a few years back. Watson could look to force his way out of town this offseason, but we would think there's long way to go until we get to that point.

SOURCE: Deshaun Watson on Twitter

Jan 15, 2021, 3:51 PM ET

crushedspirit said:
Carolina with Watson as QB, and Brady as his OC, is a scary thought. Massive upgrade, and an instant top offense.
I doubt the Texans value someone like Bridgewater. Average game manager at best, and they are giving up one of the most dynamic QBs in the league. I bet they would want 4 future 1st round picks if Teddy was the only player given in that scenario 

Zero Texans fans would be upset if Easterby goes. He’s the number one villain in the city right now. 

What’s being under appreciated in all of this is JJ too. He wants to play for a winner and the team is one year removed from a playoff run. 

If the Texans deal Watson, they’re almost certainly going to have to deal JJ too. As a fan, I’m not sure the team survives losing Hop, JJ, and Watson in that short of time. Fans would bail in droves. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports there is a "growing sentiment" that Texans QB "Deshaun Watson has played his last snap for the team."

This comes off the heels of previous reports that Watson is furious with his team's handling of their GM and HC vacancies. Watson was rumored to be displeased with the trading WR DeAndre Hopkins and now an offseason of organizational moves without consulting their star passer has Watson at a 10. A trade to a team with significant draft capital is firmly in play. Both the Jets and Dolphins have a top-five selection this year plus a second pick in the first round. Miami sticks out as a front-runner for now.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jan 17, 2021, 1:46 PM ET

I hope Cal does fire Cal if we trade Watson. Since it was 24-0 at KC in 2019, this has been an absolute disaster.

Caserio better be doing anything possible to fix this. If you trade Watson, just blow the whole thing up, but you’ll have no fans for years and years. All trust with fans has also been eroded. 

Zero Texans fans would be upset if Easterby goes. He’s the number one villain in the city right now. 

What’s being under appreciated in all of this is JJ too. He wants to play for a winner and the team is one year removed from a playoff run. 

If the Texans deal Watson, they’re almost certainly going to have to deal JJ too. As a fan, I’m not sure the team survives losing Hop, JJ, and Watson in that short of time. Fans would bail in droves. 
Listening to fans who would bail is how bad teams stay bad.  Who cares if fans bail?  You know they are bailing in October when you are 0 and 5 anyhow. 

It's a shared revenue league and you don't make that much from local fans anyway.  

I still maintain that Watson is gone if he wants out.  He holds all of the cards.  

If the Texans want to play their "play for us or retire we won't trade you" card Watson can make things real ugly.  How long are the Texans going to hold on to that when he claims injury and collects his money, or worse takes the field and withholds performance. 

It would be a funny sight to see him take the field and audible to a run every single play until he's benched... Or worse.   The Texans would go from joke to laughing stock. 

Any chance the Texans would take Carr + the Raiders' 1st this year (17 overall) for Watson? Carr is much more proven than Tua/Darnold, is on a fairly team-friendly deal, and yet still has upside to his game. The Raiders could also throw in Mariotta, whom the Texans could probably flip for a 3rd rounder.

Any chance the Texans would take Carr + the Raiders' 1st this year (17 overall) for Watson? Carr is much more proven than Tua/Darnold, is on a fairly team-friendly deal, and yet still has upside to his game. The Raiders could also throw in Mariotta, whom the Texans could probably flip for a 3rd rounder.
No

they would have to give 22 1st as well minimum 

Keep seeing the Jets mentioned as a possible landing spot. My guess would be that Watson would reject that trade.
Yeah, I’ve read some reasoning that he reportedly wanted the Texans to interview Saleh as an argument for him going there, but it seems like a stretch. If he wants to win, going to the Jets makes no sense as they will have an extremely hard time building around him once they give up all their draft capital to acquire him.

Like I said weeks ago, the heavy favorite to land him is still Miami. He’s reportedly expressed an interest to go there. They have the draft capital to make it a tolerable deal for Houston. And they have a decent team already in place. Miami should be all over this deal, and if they have any reservations over shipping out Tua as part of the deal they are fools. Early returns on him aren’t promising. They are better off capitalizing on dealing him while he still has a perceived high value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I’ve read some reasoning that he reportedly wanted the Texans to interview Saleh as an argument for him going there, but it seems like a stretch. If he wants to win, going to the Jets makes no sense as they will have an extremely hard time building around him once they give up all their draft capital to acquire him.

Like I said weeks ago, the heavy favorite to land him is still Miami. He’s reportedly expressed an interest to go there. They have the draft capital to make it a tolerable deal for Houston. And they have a decent team already in place. Miami should be all over this deal, and if they have any reservations over shipping out Tua as part of the deal they are fools. Early returns on him aren’t promising. They are better off capitalizing on dealing him while he still has a perceived high value.
If you were Miami, what would you propose as your strongest trade offer as your limit?

I agree, but the Jets are gaining all the media traction for some reason, and where there's smoke...

I agree, but the Jets are gaining all the media traction for some reason, and where there's smoke...
I’m guessing that this is mainly a product of it being the NY market and the media coverage vacuum that it can sometimes create. The hot take breakfast shows need something to talk about. All the articles and coverage I’ve seen is “the Jets should make a move for Watson and here’s why!” opinion pieces and nothing anymore concrete than what is talked about on this forum.

If you were Miami, what would you propose as your strongest trade offer as your limit?
Per Herald writer Barry Jackson's article, an unnamed ex-GM says Miami should be willing to give up Tua, #3 and #18 in 2021, and another high pick, such as #36 in 2021 or their #1 In 2022. That's too much IMO. 

Per Herald writer Barry Jackson's article, an unnamed ex-GM says Miami should be willing to give up Tua, #3 and #18 in 2021, and another high pick, such as #36 in 2021 or their #1 In 2022. That's too much IMO. 
If I’m Miami I make that deal. I guess it comes down to their faith in Tua. If you are working under the assumption that he might not be the franchise QB you were expecting, a distinct possibility at this point, then you take that deal. In this scenario you need a QB and Watson is by far better than anything available to you in the draft. You are sending back Houston’s own pick and including two of your own. To acquire a 25 year old top 3-5 QB that is a reasonable deal.

If I’m Miami I make that deal. I guess it comes down to their faith in Tua. If you are working under the assumption that he might not be the franchise QB you were expecting, a distinct possibility at this point, then you take that deal. In this scenario you need a QB and Watson is by far better than anything available to you in the draft. You are sending back Houston’s own pick and including two of your own. To acquire a 25 year old top 3-5 QB that is a reasonable deal.
And it meets the criteria for 3 firsts plus.  That's a great offer that they would be idiotic to deny. 

It goes down to 1 first once Watson makes a public demand for trade.  Teams only lowball when they know you are desperate. 

Can’t find the link anymore because there are a million speculative clickbait “please trade Watson here for peanuts” type articles out there now but read one last week that said it would take a minimum of 3 1sts per multiple “sources/GM’s.”

It would be a funny sight to see him take the field and audible to a run every single play until he's benched... Or worse.   The Texans would go from joke to laughing stock. 
I think it would be pretty horrible if a player was allowed to get away with something like that and the league did nothing. Careful what you wish for. It's probably only funny as long as it is happening to some other fan's team.

I think it would be pretty horrible if a player was allowed to get away with something like that and the league did nothing. Careful what you wish for. It's probably only funny as long as it is happening to some other fan's team.
Haha yes it is the kind of thing that would never happen, just the threat of it from a game theory perspective. 

Does the team REALLY want to play it out no matter what? 

The Jets are Deshaun Watson's preferred trade partner. 

The rightfully disgruntled franchise QB prefers the Jets "because they hired Robert Saleh to be their coach and Watson values Saleh so much he wanted the Texans to interview him for their vacant head coach job," according to the Miami Herald's Armando Salguero. The Dolphins, per Salguero, rank second on Watson's trade wish list.

sounds similar to what I posted up-thread. I just had the wrong coach in the same scenario.  

Boone22 said:
The Jets are Deshaun Watson's preferred trade partner. 

The rightfully disgruntled franchise QB prefers the Jets "because they hired Robert Saleh to be their coach and Watson values Saleh so much he wanted the Texans to interview him for their vacant head coach job," according to the Miami Herald's Armando Salguero. The Dolphins, per Salguero, rank second on Watson's trade wish list.

sounds similar to what I posted up-thread. I just had the wrong coach in the same scenario.  
As a Texans fan I'm pretty frustrated with Watson. So, I hope Deshaun gets his wish and gets traded to the Jets. Then (with apologies to Jets fans) they continue to be the Jets and Watson never even sniffs the playoffs. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Deshaun Watson has requested to be traded from the Texans.

It's been long reported that Watson wants out of Houston, but this is the first time his request has been considered "official." Schefter adds that Watson actually hasn’t spoken to new Texans general manager Nick Caserio nor executive Jack Easterby since the former's decision has already been made. With a no-trade clause baked into his deal, the 25-year-old will ultimately choose his own suitor on the market. One after another, Houston's dumbfounding decisions and cronyism in the front office transparently highlight an organization that has no direction or intention of winning in either the near future or long-term. Whomever lands Watson will merely take on a team-friendly $10.54 million cap hit in 2021 and have its franchise cornerstone locked up under center through the 2025 season.

- Adam Schefter

*insert Deshaun Watson cries from posters that hope he gets traded to their team*

... oh nothing yet? Ok I'll go first:

GIANTS PLZ!!!

The Culley hire to me screams Easterby and Caserio know they have ALL the power and they wanted to keep it that way and hire a coach they viewed as not threatening to their controlling grip on the franchise and I believe Watson sees this as well.

There are at least 8-10 teams that could all use Watson's services, in fact I could expand it out even further with all the QBs in their 30s to 40s now, I don't care how good their stats are. 

Miami has the Texans picks already s they would have to swallow a lot of pride dancing with Miami again which is why I do nto think Miami can directly trade for Watson, and he may not want to come here. Despite what some of us might think or the "fan base", I'm not so sure other folks view Miami just yet as a potential landing spot especially with the 2020 No. 6 pick overall starting at QB. 

There are at least 8-10 teams that could all use Watson's services, in fact I could expand it out even further with all the QBs in their 30s to 40s now, I don't care how good their stats are. 

Miami has the Texans picks already s they would have to swallow a lot of pride dancing with Miami again which is why I do nto think Miami can directly trade for Watson, and he may not want to come here. Despite what some of us might think or the "fan base", I'm not so sure other folks view Miami just yet as a potential landing spot especially with the 2020 No. 6 pick overall starting at QB. 
I'm not sure what you're saying. If Watson went to Miami and Tua stayed, the #6 pick in the 2020 draft wouldn't be starting.

It's a bit easier to do with a new GM & Coach. If it were O'Brien still there, I'd say no way.

Users who are viewing this thread