What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (5 Viewers)

Josina Anderson reports the Texans "still haven't had any discussions internally or externally entertaining any deal" for Deshaun Watson. 

It's been a day of damage control after inexperienced coach David Culley made numerous variations of the comment "Deshaun Watson is our quarterback right now" in an interview with NFL Network's Jim Trotter. Culley was immediately deployed to "clarify" his comments, while sources are now leaking to Anderson. The Texans had previously been doing a good job of maintaining public solidarity about Watson's future. Today's crack will probably be the first of many. 

SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter 

Mar 11, 2021, 9:11 PM ET

The Athletic's Michael Lombardi reports that there are rumors that Deshaun Watson doesn't want to play in New York or Miami.

Instead, Watson is rumored to want to play for the Broncos or 49ers, probably because they have more talent on their rosters. Of course, rumors are rumors. If true, Watson is lowering his odds of actually getting traded out of Houston because the Texans wouldn't be in a prime position to draft their next quarterback with Denver or San Francisco's draft picks. Even if Watson is open to being traded anywhere else, the Texans need to be willing to let him go. Thus far, the entire organization has been committed to Watson, going as far as letting trade offers go to their voicemail. There will be plenty of speculation over the next few weeks, but the reality is that a potential Watson deal likely wouldn't go through until just days or minutes before the 2021 NFL Draft.

RELATED: 

Denver Broncos

, San Francisco 49ers

, New York Jets

, Miami Dolphins

SOURCE: The Rich Eisen Show

Mar 16, 2021, 7:47 PM ET

He wants to be a Niner! :wub:  

also breaking: I want to ride a unicorn that poops soft serve ice cream & has dandruff made of pure cocaine. 

Neither of these things seem very likely to happen, but I would be ecstatic if they did. 

:sadbanana:

NBC Sports Edge:

Deshaun Watson denied allegations brought in a sexual assault lawsuit. 

The recently filed lawsuit includes allegations from a female masseuse that Watson "went too far" during a massage. The Houston QB pushed back on social media. “As a result of a social-media post by a publicity-seeking plaintiff’s lawyer, I recently became aware of a lawsuit that has apparently been filed against me,” Watson posted to Twitter. “I have not yet seen the complaint, but I know this: I have never treated any woman with anything other than the utmost respect. The plaintiff’s lawyer claims that this isn’t about money, but before filing suit he made a baseless six-figure settlement demand, which I quickly rejected. Unlike him, this isn’t about money for me — it’s about clearing my name, and I look forward to doing that.” The NFL is likely to look into the allegations regardless of what unfolds with the legal proceedings. It remains to be seen whether the lawsuit will affect Watson's trade market. 

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Mar 17, 2021, 8:05 AM ET

Seems like a bs ploy for $ or fame or whatever else

I could be wrong of course but the timing and tone of it stinks
I have been super soft in the last couple years in wanting to believe the woman and acknowledging that there is a men's locker room mentality that permeates a lot of business and companies across the United States and the World...HOWEVER in this particular case it smells rotten and I am inclined to give Watson the absolute full dignity of defending and presenting his side of whatever this misunderstanding is. Watson has been an upstanding leader almost his entire football career going back to college and high school, it does not fit his character and I don't care for the way the lawyer sent a tweet or whatever that social media post I clicked on and was able to read, the tone is so amateur and money grab it almost looks transparent. 

I hope if the allegations are false that this lawyer and the woman who filed can be sued for defamation by DeShaun Watson and receive the full extent of the law for trying to damage his reputation.

The Athletic's Joseph Person reports the Panthers "are locked" on acquiring Deshaun Watson. 

Person quoted an executive with an NFL team that has closely monitored the quarterback market who said Carolina remains focused on trading for Watson, 25, who desperately wants out of Houston. Person said "Watson looks to be Plan A, B and C" for the Panthers and the team's owner, David Tepper. Person expected Tepper and the Carolina front office to be as aggressive as any team interested in landing Watson, with "three first-round picks the likely starting point" in trade talks. Carolina has $29.8 million in cap room after a series of roster cuts and the restructuring of Christian McCaffrey's and Shaq Thompson's contracts. The Texans remain dug in on keeping Watson, but it would seem the Panthers are among the favorites to acquire the QB if Houston relents. 

RELATED: 

Carolina Panthers

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Mar 17, 2021, 9:17 AM ET

I've heard about this lawyer before this case, he's the kind of guy who would sue his mother but at the same time he's not some unsuccessful attorney either, at least not if that success is measured by money. So in that sense he's not some low rent attorney just willing to take on any case, or so it would seem.

But something that really smells fishy is this lawyer lives on the same street-literally almost next door neighbors, as were Bob McNair used to live and were Cal's mother, Janice, still lives.

Also the timing is odd in that it's the very day the Texans sign Tyrod to be a potential stop gap QB, and for sure giving Tyrod $5m-12M to be purely Watson's backup on a team with holes everywhere and not contending is hard to make football sense, unless of course they were planning for Watson to not be available(which I don't think he will be but due to his own choice).

This alleged incident occurred in March of 2020. Again, timing of it coming out now is just fishy though of course it would make no sense for Texans to damage Watson's trade value or reputation if they refuse to deal him. Flip side of that is some people care more about winning PR war then winning football games.

As for Watson and this case in particular. He does a lot of good things, I've heard nothing but great things about him and my gut says he did nothing wrong here  but we are talking sex and that makes people act a different way sometimes then they normally do. If the details of the filing are accurate, that Watson found the massage therapist out of the blue on her IG post were she advertised and stated she worked out of her home I can't rule out he went to her house on expectation it might be a massage plus. I just can't rule that out entirely right now but I don't know any of that for sure and even if he did go there hoping to get more then a massage that's still a long way from crossing a line the masseuse did not want crossed.

I'm going to say that even if Miami had the most to offer the Texans that they will not trade again with Miami, they already appear as if they got hosed over Tunsil and the draft picks they sent to Miami. There is no way they trade Watson to Miami and recoup those picks, that just does not seem logical and they probably feel burned already. 

That would turn the focus more to the Jets and whoever else thinks they can make an offer. Why does Carolina think they can pull this off? I dislike that owner Tepper and how he operates and just assumes he can have whatever he says he wants. 

Houston needs a real QB or a top 2-3 pick in order to feel like they could move forward from Watson who they invested $150+Million with just a few months back so they obviously think they can win big with him. But at the very least they need a Top 3-5 pick so they can draft a QB and they are going to need a bunch of picks on top, multiple 1st round selections and I don't think the NFL allows you go very far into the future, maybe 2-3 seasons. I could see Tepper going 5 years of 1st Round picks if they would allow him to do so but what does the Number 8 pick offer the Texans, the QBs are going to be gone by then that they would be interested in so I go back to New York and Miami. 

But the clickbait will have you believing Watson is going to so many different teams in so many different scenarios, they're really isn't that many teams who can make a run at him. 

Very strange timing....definitely gives Houston an out clause reason to trade him....at this point Watson or Wilson have gone scorched earth to be dealt....they are trying to keep their reputations/brands intact but that risks them not being traded....if they really want to get traded they need to pull some pages from the Harden/Jamal Adams playbook

Jets would definitely match up but Im not convinced its in JD's DNA to trade away so many draft picks....if they do want him though I dont see any other team being able to match their offer if they open their wallet/picks

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain said he expects the Texans to trade Deshaun Watson. 

McClain, who has covered Houston NFL teams since the dawn of man, said the team hasn't said they aren't trading Watson since January. Over the past couple months, team officials have deployed vagueries about Watson being the team's quarterback, trying to create leverage in a possible deal. McClain anticipating a Watson trade carries serious weight. Of course, the unhinged Houston front office could dig in and defy McClain's expectations after signing Tyrod Taylor this week. 

RELATED: 

Tyrod Taylor

SOURCE: John McClain on Twitter 

Mar 17, 2021, 11:57 AM ET

McClain is not one to trust and often the last to know nowadays, frankly. I agree with Carolina more and more looking like the destination, but any team can only trade up to 3 drafts (or maybe 4 during the 2021 draft) so Carolina can still only give so much.

As a Texans fan, if they give the farm, that'd be great, but the #8 pick has me worried about who we'd be able to draft at that point (Lance? Fields? Mac Jones?). If we must trade Watson, I'd be interested if the Texans can find a way to work a deal with Miami and Carolina if Carolina MUST be in the picture like they seem to intend to be.

It'd be interesting if the Texans could get a player or players from Carolina and find a way to flip some of the picks returned to the Jets for a top 3 pick. Giving up Watson would still suck, but getting CMC + BYU rookie Wilson + picks would be ok with me as I've come to terms with Watson being gone.

McClain is not one to trust and often the last to know nowadays, frankly. I agree with Carolina more and more looking like the destination, but any team can only trade up to 3 drafts (or maybe 4 during the 2021 draft) so Carolina can still only give so much.

As a Texans fan, if they give the farm, that'd be great, but the #8 pick has me worried about who we'd be able to draft at that point (Lance? Fields? Mac Jones?). If we must trade Watson, I'd be interested if the Texans can find a way to work a deal with Miami and Carolina if Carolina MUST be in the picture like they seem to intend to be.

It'd be interesting if the Texans could get a player or players from Carolina and find a way to flip some of the picks returned to the Jets for a top 3 pick. Giving up Watson would still suck, but getting CMC + BYU rookie Wilson + picks would be ok with me as I've come to terms with Watson being gone.
Would Houston really need to worry about getting a QB in this draft? They could play Tyrod Taylor and take a QB with the No. 1 overall pick next year.

Is this Watson news an attempt to dissuade other teams from trading for him given it could blow up like Antonio Brown’s scenario. If so, what sleeve. It has been a full year since incident happened and now the news comes out from a neighbor “better call Sal”??? No wonder he wants to leave that team. Seems very difficult to believe this is a legit lawsuit. 

I think there is a less than 1% chance these accusations are true. Watson has been a strong man of faith WAY before his NFL days. And he walks the walk too. I know you have a lot of hot headed idiots in the league but he's not one of them. 

The attorney has now filed a second lawsuit on Watson from a different plaintiff and is saying this is second of 4 known cases.

This might change now where they did everything to hide it. Now, they won’t silence it. Four women now. This seems like an Antonio Brown situation. 

This might change now where they did everything to hide it. Now, they won’t silence it. Four women now. This seems like an Antonio Brown situation. 
I just can't believe this is true. You think IF he groped or assaulted women habitually (I consider 4 women habitual) you would have heard/seen this way before now. Why now, when he's worth millions? Just doesn't make sense to me. With AB, maybe it was brain injuries changing his personality, but again, none of that applies here...very odd. 

I just can't believe this is true. You think IF he groped or assaulted women habitually (I consider 4 women habitual) you would have heard/seen this way before now. Why now, when he's worth millions? Just doesn't make sense to me. With AB, maybe it was brain injuries changing his personality, but again, none of that applies here...very odd. 
When mr football isn’t mr football anymore? Or mr sleeve lawyer is making his stand. Either way it is a situation where Houston won’t recover. There is something down there that is not right. 

. This seems like an Antonio Brown situation. 

. With AB, maybe it was brain injuries changing his personality, but again, none of that applies here...very odd. 
I will not detract from the Watson threat but please leave my boy AB out of this, lol. Seriously last night I went on twitter to check for AB FA updates and all anyone had to tweet about was comping his situation to Waton's

For the record, AB had one case by one plaintiff filed against him. One.

Luckily for Watson this is March and not middle of September like when it hit AB so they got plenty of time for NFL to investigate without putting him on exempt list.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will not detract from the Watson threat but please leave my boy AB out of this, lol. Seriously last night I went on twitter to check for AB FA updates and all anyone had to tweet about was comping his situation to Waton's

For the record, AB had one case by one plaintiff filed against him. One.

Luckily for Watson this is March and not middle of September like when it hit AB so they got plenty of time for NFL to investigate without putting him on exempt list.
What about the settlement when he threw couch into the pool when small child was involved? 🤔

Third official sexual assault lawsuit filed, all following a particular pattern but this last one got a little more sordid.

What a fiasco and the timing man. This is the kind of time Watson could use the support of the franchise but he's kind of cut himself off and if it was hard to see trading him before it sure seems impossible to see until these situations are resolved.

Why wasn't there a criminal investigation?
Based on the 3 lawsuits I've read, and I'm no lawyer, but it sure does not seem like the kind of stuff that would ever lead to a conviction if even a charge if it was reported. But it's more the kind of thing that could stick in a civil court but I'm always dubious of this type of thing myself.

Basically if true , I so stress IF, but if true Watson likes to roll around finding female massage therapist and trying to lean into a happy ending.

Last edited by a moderator:
It certainly "seems" out of character for him, but as to "why now" I try to not think about it like that.  Sometimes people are scared of what might happen if they say something, and then someone else comes out and it makes it easier for them so you then get this momentum that wasn't there previously.

I hope it isn't true, because, he's a young, fun, dynamic star that is active in the community.  But getting 4 women with actual ties to Watson to lie about something like that seems unlikely as well.

This is crazy....it basically torches any trade value he has....and the lawyer connection to ownership could drive a further wedge between Watson and the Texans...

win or lose the lawsuit his brand takes a hit so he may not be able to rely on endorsement money to take a year off.....what a mess.  He could have settled this for a mere six figures...now it could cost him millions, his reputation and even his career.  

I just dont see how this can sort out at this point.....

Albright says there are 9 lawsuits filed now with 4 in the works; there could be 13 women at least filing against Deshaun and now the NFL has opened up an investigation working with Buzzby to see what's up. It's not looking good

Just catching up on NFL news so maybe this has been discussed...is Denver a possible landing spot for Deshaun?   I know it makes sense on the Denver side but not clear if it does for the Texans.  

Just catching up on NFL news so maybe this has been discussed...is Denver a possible landing spot for Deshaun?   I know it makes sense on the Denver side but not clear if it does for the Texans.  
1.9, 2.9, 22 1, 23 1 Tim Patrick and Okwuegbunam. who says no?

It's hard to discuss what makes sense for anyone on Watson until his lawsuits get some type of resolution but for now I'll answer as if that was not a factor.

Denver has been mentioned as a possible landing spot for Watson, a place he would like to go, but no I don't think they have enough to offer. They would be like the Bears pursuit of Wilson, literally can't offer enough.

The Texans I feel pretty strongly only have interest in dealing Watson if part of the return is a high draft pick to take his replacement, again this is putting all the legal stuff aside.

So probably puts the kibosh on him being traded prior to the draft? Seems unlikely NFL can finish their investigation into these allegations in less than 6 weeks.

I think there is a less than 1% chance these accusations are true. Watson has been a strong man of faith WAY before his NFL days. And he walks the walk too. I know you have a lot of hot headed idiots in the league but he's not one of them. 
Being a person of "faith" doesn't exclude you from the possibility of being a terrible person.  Fame and fortune gives people the mindset that they are above the law.  

This is crazy....it basically torches any trade value he has....and the lawyer connection to ownership could drive a further wedge between Watson and the Texans...

win or lose the lawsuit his brand takes a hit so he may not be able to rely on endorsement money to take a year off.....what a mess.  He could have settled this for a mere six figures...now it could cost him millions, his reputation and even his career.  

I just dont see how this can sort out at this point.....
Unless he actually didn't do this and refuses to be manipulated or a target. I mean, I don't know this doesn't look good but remember how bad things looked for Tyreek Hill and that girlfriend?? We don't know nearly enough yet...

Users who are viewing this thread