What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (7 Viewers)

If the Texans were not entirely incompetent they would have taken one of the offers before this started coming out. 
That's where I am...on one hand you might think the Texans are behind this but if that were true or could be proven, it would almost send the franchise into a deep dark place we've not seen publicly to this point...I wouldn't play for them if I were a professional football player and I knew they smeared Watson to make him almost untradeable...

But then why would Houston do that? it would be better in a trade if he was squeaky clean so it doesn't really make a lot of sense but then again, a last hail mary to try and keep him with the team...I think the owner wants to keep him no matter what and the front office is having a hard time keeping his wishes.  

The NFL is investigating the sexual assault lawsuits filed against Deshaun Watson. 

“The matter is under review of the personal conduct policy," the league said. The lawsuits allege that Watson committed the assaults while being massaged. All three women work in different states. Watson has strongly denied the allegations. The lawyer filing the claims came out of the gates with a bizarre, guns-blazing statement, but the matter is clearly being taken seriously by the league. Watson has not offered further comment since posting on Twitter Tuesday evening. 

SOURCE: Associated Press 

Mar 18, 2021, 7:04 PM ET

I think there is a less than 1% chance these accusations are true. Watson has been a strong man of faith WAY before his NFL days. And he walks the walk too. I know you have a lot of hot headed idiots in the league but he's not one of them. 
People thought the same thing about Ravi Zacharias and it turns out that the leader of one of the largest evangelical groups in the world was most definitely doing almost the exact same thing for decades that Watson is being accused of.

He said/she said is always tough, but the more smoke there is, the more likely there is fire. 

I just can't believe this is true. You think IF he groped or assaulted women habitually (I consider 4 women habitual) you would have heard/seen this way before now. Why now, when he's worth millions? Just doesn't make sense to me. With AB, maybe it was brain injuries changing his personality, but again, none of that applies here...very odd. 
lol wut?

Ministry of Pain said:
That's where I am...on one hand you might think the Texans are behind this but if that were true or could be proven, it would almost send the franchise into a deep dark place we've not seen publicly to this point...I wouldn't play for them if I were a professional football player and I knew they smeared Watson to make him almost untradeable...

But then why would Houston do that? it would be better in a trade if he was squeaky clean so it doesn't really make a lot of sense but then again, a last hail mary to try and keep him with the team...I think the owner wants to keep him no matter what and the front office is having a hard time keeping his wishes.  
Your ideas make logical sense of it isn't. But the counter argument is that some idiot billionaire doesn't think the rules apply to him, he thinks can do anything he wants, and he's in a pissing match with Watson so has to win the fight. I have a bit of a hard time believing this whole thing is a ploy by the texans, but anything is possible. The whole thing is pretty weird. It also always stinks when people go the lawsuit route instead of going to the police. 

Evidently it is up to 7 lawsuits filed. The lawyer representing the women in holding a press conference today... https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/18/lawyer-handling-lawsuits-against-deshaun-watson-calls-friday-press-conference/

TMZ has a text message where Watson apologized for making a message therapist uncomfortable. This is not looking as fake as originally thought. 
Its over as far as a trade goes for this year....I cant see any team trading for him unless there is a complete vindication and quick....neither seems possible

Zeke was banned for 6 games for one accusation.....9?  He couild be on the commish exempt list then banned once its resolved.  He is in seriously jeopardy of not playing this year regardless of his posturing - Cosby and Weinstein wound up in prison after a slew of civil suits....its possible he ends up in the same situation....what an awful situation all around.  

As for the Texans - based on Watson's statement, he knew a least 1 of these lawsuits were coming - there were negotiations before that didnt result in settlement.  You would have to think Houston knew about it...or maybe with the strained relationship they were out of the loop.  Either way as a franchise they went from possibly losing their franchise QB but at least getting a haul back to nothing.......I think its safe to say they are on the clock for the 1st pick in 2022 draft

It seems like an odd move by Watson to not take the reported settlement opportunity if the accusations are completely true or even have enough truth to them to tarnish his image.  The reported amount of settlement request (6 figures?) also seems like a fairly low amount for the kind of money Watson has and what he is accused of.  Maybe that settlement part isn't accurately reported even though it came from Watson's response?  These things don't always follow the logical path of course, but this seems a little odd on multiple levels.

It also seems highly unlikely the Texans would do anything like this as some have suggested, however we also know they don't like it when these "inmates" try to "run the prison" (Quotes from the owner's late father) and Watson is deep into the process of forcing his way out of town...  I've also seen this lawyers connection to the Texans ownership mentioned in several places including - not sure if that is true either.

Obviously they would have had a little notice so it doesn’t necessarily mean anything but does add to any kind of conspiracy theory put there.
If they had any clue ahead of this before it broke, wouldn't they have just traded Watson to one of the teams begging them to take their picks?  How could they NOT have had any clue as well?  

Logic doesn't seem to have a seat at the table in Houston though so...

Last edited by a moderator:
All of it seems nuts...and again, even if he did do it (and NOTHING about his character and past would indicate this is who he is) IF he did do it, why wouldn't he have quickly and quietly paid them to hush? He's not stupid. Something just seems wrong here.... 

kittenmittens said:
If the Texans were not entirely incompetent they would have taken one of the offers before this started coming out. 
The Texans never heard about this and neither did the public; these were incidents from last year I believe, way before Deshaun asked out

If they had any clue ahead of this before it broke, wouldn't they have just traded Watson to one of the teams begging them to take their picks?  How could they NOT have had any clue as well?  

Logic doesn't seem to have a seat at the table in Houston though so...
If they had knowledge this was going to happen and traded him to another NFL team for a killing, the McNairs would be blackballed. I mean these teams are competing against each other but the NFL is a partnership between the 32 teams.

It seems like an odd move by Watson to not take the reported settlement opportunity if the accusations are completely true or even have enough truth to them to tarnish his image.  The reported amount of settlement request (6 figures?) also seems like a fairly low amount for the kind of money Watson has and what he is accused of.  Maybe that settlement part isn't accurately reported even though it came from Watson's response?  These things don't always follow the logical path of course, but this seems a little odd on multiple levels.

It also seems highly unlikely the Texans would do anything like this as some have suggested, however we also know they don't like it when these "inmates" try to "run the prison" (Quotes from the owner's late father) and Watson is deep into the process of forcing his way out of town...  I've also seen this lawyers connection to the Texans ownership mentioned in several places including - not sure if that is true either.
So maybe 6 figures doesn’t sound like a lot of money to us, but if he’s guilty and knows 12 more are going to follow, then 13 x 6 figures equal a whole garden full of cabbage.😬

So maybe 6 figures doesn’t sound like a lot of money to us, but if he’s guilty and knows 12 more are going to follow, then 13 x 6 figures equal a whole garden full of cabbage.😬
Not nearly as much as 13 judgements against him plus the legal fees?  I'm no lawyer, but it seems like a settlement request amount would be calculated by some form of (estimated amount a judge would reward) x (estimated probability of judgement for plaintiff).

Probably doesn't make any sense trying to guess what we think people would do in certain situations but I guess speculation is what we're doing here.

If they had knowledge this was going to happen and traded him to another NFL team for a killing, the McNairs would be blackballed. I mean these teams are competing against each other but the NFL is a partnership between the 32 teams.
Good point.  "We didn't know" seems pretty believable for them though.

Maybe he doesn't think he did anything wrong.  Like maybe he's under the crazy assumption that massage therapists are always up to give a happy ending.  Yeah maybe there are a few that are going to get touchy (hence the apology text) but by and large they're usually down with it.  So he feels like this is no big deal and an accusation by one or two people will get blown over, but now the ones that were uncomfortable are all coming out of the woodwork.

Just smacks of a guy that doesn't think what he did was wrong.

NBC Sports Edge take:

Four new lawsuits alleging sexual misconduct have been filed against Deshaun Watson.

The Houston Chronicle reported the new batch of suits filed by women who claim Watson engaged in misconduct during massage sessions. One of the new lawsuits alleges that Watson assaulted the same massage therapist twice in fall 2020. Six of the lawsuits accuse Watson of inappropriately touching women with his penis. He allegedly resisted wearing towels to cover his naked body during the massage sessions. The NFL has said it is investigating the allegations made against Watson, who is seeking a trade out of Houston. The league has not punished players based on civil lawsuits. 

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Mar 19, 2021, 12:08 PM ET

Maybe he doesn't think he did anything wrong.  Like maybe he's under the crazy assumption that massage therapists are always up to give a happy ending.  Yeah maybe there are a few that are going to get touchy (hence the apology text) but by and large they're usually down with it.  So he feels like this is no big deal and an accusation by one or two people will get blown over, but now the ones that were uncomfortable are all coming out of the woodwork.

It’s sexual assault. He’s in big trouble. 

And there are literally MILLIONS of horrible people who would actually lie and ruin a man's reputation for financial gain. Color me not shocked that 7 or 9 or even 79 women would sign up for this kind of payday. Sad world we live in.  :(

Fast moving story which is still developing but - so far - these are only civil lawsuits, correct?

Don't misconstrue the question to indicate my skepticism. I’m more of a “believe all women” kind of guy by default. Robert Kraft, Ravi Zacharius, et al. I’m not a criminal attorney but I imagine physical evidence / burden of proof might make criminal prosecution more difficult so maybe that’s why.

Have to wait to see how things play out. There’s a nonzero chance Deshaun Watson never plays another down on the NFL. There is also the possibility (which becomes slimmer with every new accusation) he did nothing wrong.

Crazy situation but not completely shocking either. Series of monumentally bad decisions by Watson if true. Wait and see...

This all happened really fast.  How did the lawyer get all these women together in just a few days?
The attorney posted about the initial lawsuit on IG and asked for additional information and from that he has been contacted by several women. Allegedly.

And there are literally MILLIONS of horrible people who would actually lie and ruin a man's reputation for financial gain. Color me not shocked that 7 or 9 or even 79 women would sign up for this kind of payday. Sad world we live in.  :(
Are there many examples of 7+ women lying about a single person?

This is certainly possible as well but it almost implies that Watson had no legal counsel of his own. 

The Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson reports there are "several" NFL teams that remain "extremely interested" in trading for Deshaun Watson. 

Wilson cited a league source who said teams "are actively monitoring the sexual assault civil lawsuit allegations filed against" Watson in recent days. Watson now faces seven lawsuits from women alleging sexual misconduct during massage sessions. Apparently that hasn't changed teams' calculus in pursuing a trade for Watson, who wants out of Houston. 

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter 

Mar 19, 2021, 12:44 PM ET

Don't the texts change this a lot though?

The texts seem to make it impossible that this would just be some random women who don't even know Watson coming out to pile in to a lawsuit.  They seem to verify that not only were at least some of these women involved with Watson, but also verify Watson admitting to the circumstances that the women said the assault took place in (namely a massage where Watson acted inappropriately). 

We now know that at least 1 of the women, and soon to be more if the lawyer does have more similar texts as he claims he does, was hired to massage Watson where Watson did something that made the woman feel uncomfortable.  That seems different than if there were 9 women claiming that happened and we didn't even know if any of those women had ever even massaged him.

The texts seem to make it impossible that this would just be some random women who don't even know Watson coming out to pile in to a lawsuit.  They seem to verify that not only were at least some of these women involved with Watson, but also verify Watson admitting to the circumstances that the women said the assault took place in (namely a massage where Watson acted inappropriately). 

We now know that at least 1 of the women, and soon to be more if the lawyer does have more similar texts as he claims he does, was hired to massage Watson where Watson did something that made the woman feel uncomfortable.  That seems different than if there were 9 women claiming that happened and we didn't even know if any of those women had ever even massaged him.
I’d be inclined to think it’s pretty damning in the past, but after hearing doctored audio released to TMZ where Tyreek supposedly admitted to beating his son I’m not really taking anything at face value anymore and will wait to let the courts/investigation figure it out.

I'm with @Buckna and will remain in the camp that prefers to let the courts play this out. I got thoughts, but I'm not rushing to any judgements one way or the other.

Now I will speculate on football matters. Watson won't ever play for Houston again. You don't pay Tyrod $5M+ to backup Watson when your team is not a contender and you don't see a lot of teams with a QB1 like Watson and $5m+ committed to a backup  trade for Finley to be your #3QB.

I don't know - the texts we have seen are very circumstantial but I think your point is that they tie Watson directly to the victims.  

It seems like the best case scenario is Watson asks for "weird" stuff in his massages (glutes and groin) that makes masseuses feel uncomfortable and a lawyer with an agenda in addition to the normal motivation found this an excellent angle to pursue a payout while helping Houston win the PR battle.  

Obviously it's best to just let this play out before commenting, but trying to read the situation to make the proper gambles in fantasy seems prudent at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread