What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (2 Viewers)

The crappy part about Cosby was that it was just known, a Hollywood secret many people had heard.  One comedian goes viral mention it in his act, and THAT'S what made people demand justice.  
Yes - that was more akin to Louis CK. One of those open secrets that he did that kinda crap & everyone sorta shrugged it off. It never should have gone as far as it did. 

This is neither here nor there regarding the Deshaun case, but this situation of a high priced athlete getting a massage from a female in private opens both parties up to a he said/she said situation. I am surprised that neither party takes any measures to protect themselves like video recording the session. If Deshaun records the session and a massage therapist makes a claim against him, he has the recording of the session to prove nothing happened. The MT should really have no problem if Deshaun says "I record all my sessions to protect myself from fictitious claims"  If the Massage therapist records, then she has evidence to back up her claim if anything unwanted happens. If nothing happens she can delete the recording. Many of the massages occurred in the therapists home, so it would be very easy to set up a nanny cam to do the recording.

Now if Deshaun is doing the things that the MT's allege, than I can understand why he wouldn't want a tape of the session.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is neither here nor there regarding the Deshaun case, but this situation of a high priced athlete getting a massage from a female in private opens both parties up to a he said/she said situation. I am surprised that neither party takes any measures to protect themselves like video recording the session. If Deshaun records the session and a massage therapist makes a claim against him, he has the recording of the session to prove nothing happened. The MT should really have no problem if Deshaun says "I record all my sessions to protect myself from fictitious claims"  If the Massage therapist records, then she has evidence to back up her claim if anything unwanted happens. If nothing happens she can delete the recording. Many of the massages occurred in the therapists home, so it would be very easy to set up a nanny cam to do the recording.

Now if Deshaun is doing the things that the MT's allege, than I can understand why he wouldn't want a tape of the session.
Pretty sure we know why Deshaun doesn’t want these sessions recorded

If you think having a masseuse come to  your house is shady, you need to get out more.  

Even if every nasty thing turns out to be true regarding Watson, athletes having a massage at their home is totally common, as it is for regular people who want a massage.  

Also, if you think just the act of getting a massage from a woman is shady, you really need to get out more.  

Kind of reminds me of the Friends episode where Phoebe was a massage therapist and the creepy client was inappropriate. 

If you think having a masseuse come to  your house is shady, you need to get out more.  

Even if every nasty thing turns out to be true regarding Watson, athletes having a massage at their home is totally common, as it is for regular people who want a massage.  

Also, if you think just the act of getting a massage from a woman is shady, you really need to get out more.  
There is a big difference between joe average FBG getting a massage and a multi-million dollar athlete who's future earning potential outside of football is tied significantly to his reputation as a fine upstanding citizen.

My only point is there is an easy way for the multi-million dollar athlete to protect themselves, especially when they are getting a new MT every two weeks. Unless of course, the multi-million dollar athlete is not the one who needs protecting.

There is a big difference between joe average FBG getting a massage and a multi-million dollar athlete who's future earning potential outside of football is tied significantly to his reputation as a fine upstanding citizen.

My only point is there is an easy way for the multi-million dollar athlete to protect themselves, especially when they are getting a new MT every two weeks. Unless of course, the multi-million dollar athlete is not the one who needs protecting.
True true, I think would have security cams in there to protect me.

My only point was that, in defense of Watson, a pro athlete getting a massage delivery probably happens every day.  

True true, I think would have security cams in there to protect me.

My only point was that, in defense of Watson, a pro athlete getting a massage delivery probably happens every day.  
Agreed. That's why Watson going to all these different MT's houses without security's cams leaves him vulnerable to false claims.

Whether he settles or not, or loses a civil case or not, if there is no actual "proof" of wrong doing, what can the league even do to him?  6 game suspension at most?

Barring a criminal trial of course.

I think 4 games.

You don't remember him groping a woman who clearly didn't want that.  WOW
I thought it was 6 games after he fought it in court and his suspension started in week 10 or 11.

No proof anyone saw, no criminal case, no civil trail and it even came out his girlfriend was trying to blackmail him with sex tapes and they still slapped 6 games on him.

And that groping incident was at a St. Paddy's parade in Dallas and the lady said he had no issue with it.

I thought it was 6 games after he fought it in court and his suspension started in week 10 or 11.

No proof anyone saw, no criminal case, no civil trail and it even came out his girlfriend was trying to blackmail him with sex tapes and they still slapped 6 games on him.

And that groping incident was at a St. Paddy's parade in Dallas and the lady said he had no issue with it.
I saw the video.  It's out there.

So the groping wasnt part of a suspension? I am confused.
According to a copy of the suspension letter that was obtained by a league source, the NFL believes that the credible evidence establishes that Elliott used physical force against the alleged victim several times during the week of July 16, 2016. The league stated that a review of photographs and other evidence conducted by medical experts appeared consistent with the alleged victim's description of how events occurred.

Elliott was also told that the parade incident where Elliott pulled down a woman's shirt in March 2017 will not be considered separately for additional discipline, but that he should be advised that his behavior was inappropriate, disturbing and reflected a lack of respect for women.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowboys-ezekiel-elliott-suspended-six-games-reportedly-will-appeal/

Ok so elliott was suspended because there was proof.  Not just allegations.

Still a long way to go with watson.  More will come out every day that goes by where he doest settle

NFL is so dumb.  Been saying this for years now to let the legal system take care of whether or not players are available to play
I totally agree, should be a legal and team decision for the most part.  I think Goodell has done an outstanding job as commissioner but this has been his biggest fail IMO. When he came into the league he was determined to clean up player behavior but what he really ended up doing was shining a spotlight on it when players fall out of line.  Just makes talking fodder for if/when player will get suspended, appeal, etc,etc. Tends to dominate off-season news cycle far to often, can't imagine that was his goal.

Ok so elliott was suspended because there was proof.
There was proof his girl had some bruising, there was no proof he did it. Also I think he said she liked it rough sexually and if had bruised her it was during that time. I think on that last part, might need a fact checker.

Then you got Brady getting 4 games and that seemed a little light on proof as well.

Roger/NFL is kind of like civil court. They don't need to know beyond a shadow of a doubt, they apparently just need to think it's a greater then 50/50 chance to be true.

So as a massage therapist, you would secretly record your clients undressing and getting on the table?  Yeah good luck with that.

So as a massage therapist, you would secretly record your clients undressing and getting on the table?  Yeah good luck with that.
I am sure you could start recording when the massage starts. And you could delete the recording afterwards if it occurred without incident which 99.9% would. If you think that is too invasive, even an audio recording of the session, while less proof than video, could back up a therapists story if the client did something inappropriate.

When he came into the league he was determined to clean up player behavior but what he really ended up doing was shining a spotlight on it when players fall out of line. 
This is exactly right.  How often do we hear about NBA and MLB players doing stuff compared to the NFL?  Barely at all.   Every time someone in the NFL gets a parking ticket there is a rotoworld blurb, a mention on sports center, and 100 posts here to figure out if its suspension worthy.   He drew attention to it, and the media took it to an unexpectedly high level of even more attention.  

Did he even clean up the behavior?  

Anyone else wondering if that packet of evidence ever made it to the Houston PD or County Sheriff? 

It's been pretty quiet on that front. 

This is exactly right.  How often do we hear about NBA and MLB players doing stuff compared to the NFL?  Barely at all.   Every time someone in the NFL gets a parking ticket there is a rotoworld blurb, a mention on sports center, and 100 posts here to figure out if its suspension worthy.   He drew attention to it, and the media took it to an unexpectedly high level of even more attention.  

Did he even clean up the behavior?  
This, for sure.  

Hey Goodell - if you don't test for Marijuana and announce failed tests then players won't give the league a "bad name."  The only reason everyone knows many NFL players smoke is because they fail drugs tests. 

It's amazing that they can't think with that much nuance. 

But you'd have to have consent from the client to record a session, and I'm pretty sure you'd get felony charges if you recorded it without their knowledge or consent. 
Depends on the state. Texas is a 1 party consent state. 

Edit:  one party consent.... FOR RECORDING. 

You can never trust anything ESPN runs across the screen but I thought I saw briefly where they had big words on the screen indicating that the Houston Texans wanted to trade Watson but now are feeling like they need to hold on until they get thru these lawsuits. 

-It also would be a wonderful time for a team that was going to make a strong pitch anyways for Watson to follow thru immediately...it sounded like Houston was sour grapes because of the lawsuits perhaps impacting his trade value but I believe they are also encouraging teams to come right at them for Watson. "If you want to give us that outlandish trade offer still we will read any and all offers" 

The tune a few weeks ago was they weren't even answering the phones for Watson inquiries. That has changed drastically in the last week or two. 

Soulfly3 said:
In general...

Civil v Criminal

One is a payday. One sees the individual potentially face just freedom-restricting consequences for law breaking activity. 

If this guy is an actual sexual menace, how and why would this not be criminal and why would anyone not want him behind bars for it?

I don't get it. How is this ONLY civil?
:blackdot:

You can never trust anything ESPN runs across the screen but I thought I saw briefly where they had big words on the screen indicating that the Houston Texans wanted to trade Watson but now are feeling like they need to hold on until they get thru these lawsuits. 

-It also would be a wonderful time for a team that was going to make a strong pitch anyways for Watson to follow thru immediately...it sounded like Houston was sour grapes because of the lawsuits perhaps impacting his trade value but I believe they are also encouraging teams to come right at them for Watson. "If you want to give us that outlandish trade offer still we will read any and all offers" 

The tune a few weeks ago was they weren't even answering the phones for Watson inquiries. That has changed drastically in the last week or two. 
Evidently at least one victim is now pursuing criminal charges. So I will stand on side of waiting. 

You’re skipping the week-ish before this poop-show all exploded where team sources & said they “expected” to trade Watson. 

Do we really think that any team at this point is going to actually trade for this dude.....the answer is no IMO.  Especially for the capital it would require. 

Seriously would you if you were your favorite teams GM?

No way you roll the dice with so many logs on the fire. He is good but he isn’t worth the risk. PR nightmare even if this by some miracle works out “in his favor”.... I get the innocent until proven guilty thing but IMO the damage has been done. 

And I get the “if he can help us win there will always be a job” thing but this feels different.

IMO the only way he sees another snap is if everything by all the women was completely fabricated and it was all a master plan....and it just doesn’t feel like that with so many involved...

Do we really think that any team at this point is going to actually trade for this dude.....the answer is no IMO.  Especially for the capital it would require. 

Seriously would you if you were your favorite teams GM?

No way you roll the dice with so many logs on the fire. He is good but he isn’t worth the risk. PR nightmare even if this by some miracle works out “in his favor”.... I get the innocent until proven guilty thing but IMO the damage has been done. 

And I get the “if he can help us win there will always be a job” thing but this feels different.

IMO the only way he sees another snap is if everything by all the women was completely fabricated and it was all a master plan....and it just doesn’t feel like that with so many involved...
Good take. 

Users who are viewing this thread