Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

O. J Howard TE Alabama


Recommended Posts

On 11/13/2018 at 2:42 PM, TwinTurbo said:

This is the type of change that would have been extremely valuable to know before kickoff, so I would avoid Fitz and OJ in DFS. Koetter was awful last season calling plays and somehow managed to pull off a historic loss gaining 500 yds and only 3 pts. Meanwhile the Saints had 500 yds and scored 51 pts. Please hand it back to Monken.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but some of you guys are majorly overthinking and over-coaching your teams.

OJ Howard had one super low volume game. They happen sometimes, especially to TEs. I know we all want to point to a villain when our players under-perform but this isn’t about Koetter, it’s more about randomness. Howard is a very good player. Start him regardless of who is calling the plays, don’t overthink it.

Also while I agree that Monken is the better playcaller, to suggest that Koetter is at fault for last week’s redzone struggles is pretty laughable. The offense moved the ball well all game. And there were several wide open receivers in the end zone, Fitzpatrick and the rest of the offense just had an off day executing.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a terribly wrong myth I wish people would keep repeating. He was the OC for 5 years in Pittsburgh. One year he used him. The other 4 years he did not. This is not using your TE, this is a

This doesn't happen very often.  Good on you for owning up to it and apologizing.  We need more of this and less defending/arguing when we are wrong.  

Considering that Ebron sucks,  I'd take Howard. 

Previous 4 games prior to his clunker last week:

* 4-62-1

* 5-67-0

* 4-68-1

* 4-53-2

Let's hope we revert back to this trend vs. start a new (crappy) trend.

For the love of god, I just need a non 0 to 3 point outing out of my TE this week. Give me 4-50-0 and I'll be jumping for joy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, electric Ape said:

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but some of you guys are majorly overthinking and over-coaching your teams.

OJ Howard had one super low volume game. They happen sometimes, especially to TEs. I know we all want to point to a villain when our players under-perform but this isn’t about Koetter, it’s more about randomness. Howard is a very good player. Start him regardless of who is calling the plays, don’t overthink it.

Also while I agree that Monken is the better playcaller, to suggest that Koetter is at fault for last week’s redzone struggles is pretty laughable. The offense moved the ball well all game. And there were several wide open receivers in the end zone, Fitzpatrick and the rest of the offense just had an off day executing.

My comments were related to DFS, not season long. There's no overthinking it. Had I known beforehand that Koetter was calling plays, I would have insta-dumped every single Fitz/OJ lineup last week. His predictable, vanilla play calling is the opposite of what you need to cash in tournaments. Redskins D is good so they deserve some credit, but the Bucs were like 0 for 8 in the redzone. That's almost entirely on Koetter since the Skins knew what was coming. If he calls plays again, the Giants D is the DFS play of the week. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TwinTurbo said:

My comments were related to DFS, not season long. There's no overthinking it. Had I known beforehand that Koetter was calling plays, I would have insta-dumped every single Fitz/OJ lineup last week. His predictable, vanilla play calling is the opposite of what you need to cash in tournaments. Redskins D is good so they deserve some credit, but the Bucs were like 0 for 8 in the redzone. That's almost entirely on Koetter since the Skins knew what was coming. If he calls plays again, the Giants D is the DFS play of the week. 

Gotcha. I misunderstood and agree that DFS is different. I'm not sure that I put quite as much fault in Koetter for last week but I take your point. In DFS there is zero reason to start a player when you have doubts / concerns 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, electric Ape said:

Gotcha. I misunderstood and agree that DFS is different. I'm not sure that I put quite as much fault in Koetter for last week but I take your point. In DFS there is zero reason to start a player when you have doubts / concerns 

Yeah in season long, I have one Fitz/OJ team and will keep starting them and hope for the best. In DFS, I am fading every Bucs player except for D.Jackson. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rotoworld doesn't seem to think it's serious: http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/12161/oj-howard

Quote

O.J. Howard caught 5-of-6 targets for 78 yards in the Bucs' Week 11 loss to the Giants.

The Giants have struggled against tight end of the year, so it wasn't shocking to see Howard get back on track. He was being checked on the sideline by trainers for a brief period during the team's final drive, so there was actually room for an even bigger day had he stayed on the field. He'll be a TE1 again next week against the Niners. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, TheBottomLine said:

A ton of speculation is all I see.  Hopefully it's not as bad as it looks and/or he recovers quickly.  

I can't afford to lose this guy over a couple weeks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/12161/oj-howard

Quote

O.J. Howard is getting a second opinion on his ankle.

Initial testing revealed "good news," but the Bucs have ordered up more just to be sure. Howard was injured on the Bucs' final drive against the Giants. We should have a good idea of his status by the time the Bucs release their first Week 12 injury report on Wednesday. Nov 19 - 2:53 PM

Source: Greg Auman on Twitter

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gottabesweet said:

Good news but second opinion. 1-2 weeks instead of 3-4?

Sounds like we won't know anything else until Wednesday. I would make waiver moves assuming you won't have him this week, but don't do anything rash like drop him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zftcg said:

Sounds like we won't know anything else until Wednesday. I would make waiver moves assuming you won't have him this week, but don't do anything rash like drop him.

I have Gronk and Howard in a short bench. Hopefully one will play. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2018 at 3:20 PM, zftcg said:

Sounds like we won't know anything else until Wednesday. I would make waiver moves assuming you won't have him this week, but don't do anything rash like drop him.

OK, time to panic.

Also, that was quite the second opinion:

"You're fine!"

"Are you sure?"

"Actually, you're going on IR."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Should us owners be concerned?  We all know how little he used the TE in Arizona.

 

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports "all signs point" toward Bruce Arians being the next head coach of the Bucs.

Rapsheet has been beating this drum for over 24 hours now. He reports the sides have yet to begin talking contract, but it seems things will wrap up in relatively short order. 66-year-old Arians' latest retirement lasted one season.

Edited by Boone22
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Boone22 said:

Should us owners be concerned?  We all know how little he used the TE in Arizona.

 

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports "all signs point" toward Bruce Arians being the next head coach of the Bucs.

Rapsheet has been beating this drum for over 24 hours now. He reports the sides have yet to begin talking contract, but it seems things will wrap up in relatively short order. 66-year-old Arians' latest retirement lasted one season.

Who were his TE's during his time in Zona?  I don't remember but pretty sure they mostly sucked.  Not much point using scrub players in an offense.

Todd Heap at end of his career was there, but he was broken down and barely played.  

Edited by ILUVBEER99
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Boone22 said:

Should us owners be concerned?  We all know how little he used the TE in Arizona.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports "all signs point" toward Bruce Arians being the next head coach of the Bucs.

Rapsheet has been beating this drum for over 24 hours now. He reports the sides have yet to begin talking contract, but it seems things will wrap up in relatively short order. 66-year-old Arians' latest retirement lasted one season.

I wouldn't panic, but I think some concern is warranted. 

I know we can point and say his TEs sucked, but let's not pretend that was completely out of his control. It's very possible he only had blocking TEs by design. The guy likes to run 3WR sets and throw the ball deep - he needs a blocking TE for that. Some OCs adapt their offense to their players, while other OCs are set in their ways and prefer to force square pegs into round holes until they have time to re-tool their roster into exactly what they want. I like Arians, but at 66 I fear he's more likely to fall into the latter category. 

I would be excited about this potential signing if I owned Evans or Godwin, but not so much for Howard. I would not be surprised to see Brate cut, as he's not a very good blocker and I could be wrong, but I think his contract was weird in that it had no dead cap if he were cut in the 2nd year. Just looked it up: https://overthecap.com/player/cameron-brate/3770/

Off topic, but as a football fan I was hoping to see Arians go to Cleveland. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:

I wouldn't panic, but I think some concern is warranted. 

I know we can point and say his TEs sucked, but let's not pretend that was completely out of his control. It's very possible he only had blocking TEs by design. The guy likes to run 3WR sets and throw the ball deep - he needs a blocking TE for that. Some OCs adapt their offense to their players, while other OCs are set in their ways and prefer to force square pegs into round holes until they have time to re-tool their roster into exactly what they want. I like Arians, but at 66 I fear he's more likely to fall into the latter category. 

I would be excited about this potential signing if I owned Evans or Godwin, but not so much for Howard. I would not be surprised to see Brate cut, as he's not a very good blocker and I could be wrong, but I think his contract was weird in that it had no dead cap if he were cut in the 2nd year. Just looked it up: https://overthecap.com/player/cameron-brate/3770/

Off topic, but as a football fan I was hoping to see Arians go to Cleveland. 

I think Arians will love Howard but I agree that we can probably knock his stock down a little. 

Although I have him in 5 leagues and won't be selling.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FF Ninja said:

I wouldn't panic, but I think some concern is warranted. 

I know we can point and say his TEs sucked, but let's not pretend that was completely out of his control. It's very possible he only had blocking TEs by design. The guy likes to run 3WR sets and throw the ball deep - he needs a blocking TE for that. Some OCs adapt their offense to their players, while other OCs are set in their ways and prefer to force square pegs into round holes until they have time to re-tool their roster into exactly what they want. I like Arians, but at 66 I fear he's more likely to fall into the latter category. 

I would be excited about this potential signing if I owned Evans or Godwin, but not so much for Howard. I would not be surprised to see Brate cut, as he's not a very good blocker and I could be wrong, but I think his contract was weird in that it had no dead cap if he were cut in the 2nd year. Just looked it up: https://overthecap.com/player/cameron-brate/3770/

Off topic, but as a football fan I was hoping to see Arians go to Cleveland. 

Isn't there a famous quote by him along the lines of "TEs are made for blocking and WRs and out there to catch the ball?" - of course he's a smart guy and will likely reassess if he has a guy like Howard that can give him a huge advantage - but it should be a bit concerning at least.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not damning but here is the quote I was thinking of:

 

Quote

 

So how does Cardinals coach Bruce Arians view a tight end’s job responsibilities?

The subject came up at the NFL Scouting Combine on Friday, and Arians made his stance clear.

“The tight end for me, I’m old school. You’ve got to block first and catch passes,” Arians said.

“That’s why I loved (Steelers TE) Heath Miller. I still think Heath Miller’s the best tight end in the National Football League, not because he catches 90 passes, (but) because he blocks big defensive ends, and he catches about 60-70 passes.

“The guys that line up as wide receivers might get tagged as wide receivers. But, you know, tight ends for me block first, catch second.”

Rob Housler was the Cardinals’ leading pass catcher among tight ends in 2013, hauling in 39 receptions for 454 yards and one TD in 13 games. He was targeted 57 times — about four times per contest.

The Cardinals’ three most-targeted players in 2013 were all wide receivers: Larry Fitzgerald (134 targets), Michael Floyd (112), Andre Roberts (76).

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

I think Arians will love Howard but I agree that we can probably knock his stock down a little. 

Although I have him in 5 leagues and won't be selling.

I couldn't imagine selling. He could be the next Gronk, IMO. I'll be wary in redraft, but will happily acquire in dynasty if anyone wants to sell on this news... well, if this becomes news. Right now just speculation. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Howard is 6'6" 250 lbs with 4.51 speed... 

He's a better vertical threat than a lot of WRs in the league based on his speed/agility/catch radius. 

It remains to be seen what Arians will do with Howard but I have to believe his old school stance on TEs is based on old school style TEs, and not unicorns like O.J. Howard. Did he ever coach a guy with Howard's measurables? If they're not going to use him, surely they would do well to trade him and get a big return. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do think Arians prefers a good blocking tight end on the field. That’s not to say they don’t get some play in the passing game. When he was with Indy, Dwayne Allen was on the field more than Fleener. Howard is a good blocker so guessing he’ll be on the field a lot and with snaps comes production. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to assume Bruce has never had a TE like O.J., and I'm also going to assume Bruce is a smart man.  The other factor is O.J. is a fantastic blocker, so he'll still be on the field regardless.  I guess I'm also assuming Bruce is the next HC of the Bucs.  :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fruity pebbles said:

Do think Arians prefers a good blocking tight end on the field. That’s not to say they don’t get some play in the passing game. When he was with Indy, Dwayne Allen was on the field more than Fleener. Howard is a good blocker so guessing he’ll be on the field a lot and with snaps comes production. 

That's the thing, Howard can do everything.

I don't know if he's quite Gonzo but his utilization in KC was heavily dependent on the o line. Most of the time it was good, but there were times Gonzo was much more involved as a blocker.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...