What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE O.J. Howard, Raiders (4 Viewers)

Ghost Rider said:
I knew I shouldn't have bought the hype on this guy, knowing how much Arians hates throwing to tight ends. 
Agreed.  Did so much research on the situation and convinced myself that Arians/Leftwich will use him as he is a special athlete.  Did he even get a target tonight?

He was one of my heavy targetted players.  I'm about to flip my desk over because this is some bs  :hot: .  I hate myself and all my competitive teams that I'm stuck with only OJ Howard (most of which are TE premium).  

He was one of my heavy targetted players.  I'm about to flip my desk over because this is some bs  :hot: .  I hate myself and all my competitive teams that I'm stuck with only OJ Howard (most of which are TE premium).  
Lot of draft capital for a goose egg

I could have taken Olsen as a 15th round streamer / free

0-0

6-110

I read the offseason threads warning me about this. Then I remembered Arians in Pittsburgh. 

I drafted Waller, Hockenson, and Herndon in my leegs. No draft capital whatsoever.

And I'm an amateur player at best.

I hate investing in TEs.

:lmao:

O.J. Howard was not targeted in the Bucs' Week 2 win over the Panthers.

We saw Howard lined up as a fullback more often than he was targeted. Brutal. Just brutal. The supposed breakout candidate now has just four catches for 32 yards through two games, drawing only five of Jameis Winston's 51 targets. Bruce Arians never featured tight ends in Arizona, but it was assumed to be a lack of talent. Perhaps that was wishful thinking. Howard is still too good of a player to drop off the TE1 map. The Giants will offer an excellent get-right spot for Week 3.

Sep 13, 2019, 12:14 AM ET

I was targeting him to but missed. Arians runs a pretty complicated offense. It may take a few games for them to really get going. It's bizarre the lack of targets but he is too talented for this not to change at some point. I know their offensive line has been an issue so I'm wondering if they are keeping him in to block more.

Not only does Arians not use TE's properly, to make matters worse, Winston seems to prefer throwing to Brate anyway. 

He's basically going to be TD reliant because the yards and receptions will be very low. It's got to be incredible frustrating for those that are stuck with him. But I think he'll be a nice buy low in dynasty after this year. 

Yeah, the Brate thing is concerning. Last week Brate actually had two TD's called back due to holding on the same drive

He blocked really well.  They are using his talents to shore up the O Line.  Brate is getting paid a ton of money because he is a really good receiver.  

I picked this bum because time was running out in my pick. Guy swiped Engram right before my turn. Was a coin flip between Henry and Howard as I planned on going TE that round. Guess it didn’t matter. Good news is folks he plays my Giants next week, who haven’t been able to stop TE’s for a several years. One last shot I guess, but time to consider adding a backup for emergency depth.

I honestly feel this was the most obvious "miss" by all the experts out there. Yes the guy has uber talent, but he has a coach who doesn't make TE's good fantasy options.

I honestly feel this was the most obvious "miss" by all the experts out there. Yes the guy has uber talent, but he has a coach who doesn't make TE's good fantasy options.
I hate that FBG had this guy ranked so high.  In rankings and cheat sheets they actually had him ranked above Engram which is just silly.  Lucky I didn’t take him before Engram in any league, but that was a bad call by fbg staff.  

Wow. Goose egg. Not only in points but targets.

Didn't see this coming. Thought I was in set it and forget it mode with OJ and now have to scramble.

No way in hell I'm dropping. Have a feeling they'll figure this out, but it may take a bit.

Slim pickins on the wire. I see the likes of Goedert, Fant, Eifert, Witten. Couple weeks away from B. Watson getting off suspension.

Probably could swing a trade. Lot of teams early in the season still have the backup TE they drafted, but those TEs aren't much better than what's on the wire.

What would really solve all our problems is this: TB trades OJ Howard to the New England Patriots for a 4th round pick. 

The counterargument is that Arians never had a TE with the talent that Howard does. But it seems like it is a system thing with Bruce, and he likes his TEs to spend most of their time on the line blocking to help get the ball to the WRs. Perhaps if they didn't have as good of a second receiver as Godwin is, then maybe Howard would be running more routes. But obviously that isn't the case - at least not yet.

Probably could swing a trade. Lot of teams early in the season still have the backup TE they drafted, but those TEs aren't much better than what's on the wire.

What would really solve all our problems is this: TB trades OJ Howard to the New England Patriots for a 4th round pick. 
O.J. is a real first rounder just a few years ago. I know you're kidding, but no way. That can't happen here, can it? :scared:

Smart enough to burn the #1 priority on Hockenson, and dumb enough to leave OJ Howard in the starting lineup because "don't wanna overreact to week 1".

Didn't see this coming. Thought I was in set it and forget it mode with OJ and now have to scramble.

No way in hell I'm dropping. Have a feeling they'll figure this out, but it may take a bit.

Slim pickins on the wire. I see the likes of Goedert, Fant, Eifert, Witten. Couple weeks away from B. Watson getting off suspension.

I’m thinking of grabbing Chris Herndon after week 3 as he’s back in week 5 or 6 from suspension. Thing is, who do I drop? I got OJ in the 7th so technically if he’s stinking it up after 5 weeks still, not a big deal to drop him. I don’t really like carrying two TE’s.

Howard is no bum, he wasn't targeted and he blocked extremely well helping the Bucs not commit turnovers. That said I get the frustration and it might be a long year but it's how the coaches are using him, it's not like Howard dropped an easy TD grab, that isn't happening. 

Picked up Waller as an FA before week 1.  Had a bad feeling about Howard’s week 1 and arians usage of TEs.  Needed a qb2 badly.  Traded OJ and justice hill 2 days ago to the Henry owner as soon as the Henry news broke.  Got baker mayfield.  Picked up jimmy graham as an FA to back up Waller.  Feeling pretty damn good About it after last night! 

Its a long season and Howard will have his games.  But I think it’s safe to say he is NOT the potentially  elite plug n play TE we all hoped he would be this year. 

I was really hoping for a decent week so as to sell him to the H Henry owner in my TE premium league...guess that won’t happen now

Howard is no bum, he wasn't targeted and he blocked extremely well helping the Bucs not commit turnovers. That said I get the frustration and it might be a long year but it's how the coaches are using him, it's not like Howard dropped an easy TD grab, that isn't happening. 
He's had several penalties, fumbled inside the 10, and also dropped a ball last week that resulted in a turnover.  I'm not sure what's up with him, but he hasn't looked like the same player.

I hate that FBG had this guy ranked so high.  In rankings and cheat sheets they actually had him ranked above Engram which is just silly.  Lucky I didn’t take him before Engram in any league, but that was a bad call by fbg staff.  
It wasn't just FBG. Consensus was that he'd be a safe TE1. Apparently, consensus made a huge mistake.

Winston did throw it to him once. But he ended up pushing off and getting called for pass interference. So his only "target" ended up losing yards.  :lmao:

I wouldn't panic just yet. The fact they barely threw the ball to him is relevant, but we must remember, especially in Dynasty, top tight ends usually take a few years to develop. Dude is a threat, especially if in the right system. Godwin becoming a stud this year definitely didn't help as far as targets go. HOLD.

Well I am the resident OJH fanboy and have a lot of shares of him in dynasty so obviously not what I was hoping for to start the year.

I'm surprised people are raving over his blocking last night.  While he is a good blocker in general and was asked to do it a lot last night, I actually thought he had an off night from a blocking perspective.  Several of the sacks/pressures and RBs hit in the backfield were by guys OJH was blocking.  Though to be fair he is asked to block defensive linement without help more often than most TEs.

He did run a decent amount of routes, Jameis just wasn't looking his way often.  It looked like the TD pass to Godwin was a play designed to hit OJH in the seam but the defense rolled to Howard which left Godwin open and Jameis correctly moved to his second read.

As much as Arians not using TEs, I worry that Godwin's emergence really hurts Howard going forward.  Jameis really seems to lock onto him.

I am holding the course because I believe in the talent and everywhere I own him is dynasty, but with Arians, Godwin, and Jameis' love for Brate it may an up and down year.  Now we just need to get some of those ups.

Winston did throw it to him once. But he ended up pushing off and getting called for pass interference. So his only "target" ended up losing yards.  :lmao:
FWIW that was a really weak OPI call.  If that was OPI than Jimmy Graham needs to have just about every reception for his entire career called back.

Keep an eye on CJ Uzomah. He split touches with Eifert but Eifert didn't look that good to me and has a history of injuries. If he went out I think CJ could be very solid in what looks like a more explosive offense under the new coach. Don't drop OJ for him just maybe pick him up for depth/speculation if you can.

I picked this bum because time was running out in my pick. Guy swiped Engram right before my turn. Was a coin flip between Henry and Howard as I planned on going TE that round. Guess it didn’t matter. Good news is folks he plays my Giants next week, who haven’t been able to stop TE’s for a several years. One last shot I guess, but time to consider adding a backup for emergency depth.
So what you're saying is that Henry/Howard owners should start Brate next week?

O.J. not only drew a false start and had an OPI, as others have pointed out, his last game was no barnburner off the sheet either. He knocked a pass up in the air -- right off of his hands -- that went for a drive-killing INT against SF last week.

Not a good first two weeks for fantasy rosterers. 

Users who are viewing this thread