What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE O.J. Howard, Raiders (1 Viewer)

Thinking of offering Theilen for him in dynasty (TE Prem) where I'm retooling...a trade to another team now would be awesome for him obviously, but he seems like a safe investment longterm even if he's stuck on the Bucs this season. Tough call though

Last edited by a moderator:
If TB isn’t going to use him as a receiver it’s dumb to keep him.

great blocking only te’s can be had cheaply.

using a guy drafted top half of first round to only block is a huge waste of resources.
If they retain him, it's just due to regret avoidance. It's pretty clear that they will continue to use Howard as an easy replaceable in-line blocking TE, whereas Brate will be used in the more premium receiving role (albeit limited with Arians). However, the prospect of "losing" a trade (and seeing Howard thrive in a different system) churns their stomachs. 

Thinking of offering Theilen for him in dynasty (TE Prem) where I'm retooling...a trade to another team now would be awesome for him obviously, but he seems like a safe investment longterm even if he's stuck on the Bucs this season. Tough call though
Curious about your thinking on his long term value if he remains with TB. I’m asking bc I’m invested in 2 TE premium leagues. I also think he remains a long term value based on talent but I wonder how he recovers that value in TB. Maybe he plays better and justifies more touches? Or Arians is pressured to include him more?

Curious about your thinking on his long term value if he remains with TB. I’m asking bc I’m invested in 2 TE premium leagues. I also think he remains a long term value based on talent but I wonder how he recovers that value in TB. Maybe he plays better and justifies more touches? Or Arians is pressured to include him more?
It's a tough topic, I'm really not sure how I'd feel if we hit this offseason and he hasn't been traded. Seems like such an inefficient use of resources to not either use him to his strengths, or trade him for assets that you can actually use. I'd be disappointed if he stays in TB longterm, but I have no idea how I'd rank him or value him if the potential to get traded was removed from his potential outcomes. 

For the record, I ended up trading for Marquise Brown instead, just couldn't get myself to make the offer for OJ Howard.

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
Rotoworld take:

O.J. Howard (hamstring) is out for Week 8 against the Titans.

Howard began the week as a limited participant but was absent for both Thursday and Friday's sessions, suggesting he suffered an injury at Wednesday's practice. With Howard out of commission, the Bucs will turn to veteran Cameron Brate at tight end. A proven red-zone presence (22 touchdowns since the start of 2016), Brate is very much in play as a streamer at a sparse fantasy position. He'll also carry DFS appeal as a cheap tight end flyer.

RELATED: 

Cameron Brate

SOURCE: Pewter Report on Twitter

Oct 25, 2019, 12:30 PM ET

ConnSKINS26 said:
Man, even in a TE-premium league I'd much rather have Thielen.  

That's what I ended up deciding as well. Was gonna offer Theilen for Howard and Curtis Samuel but didn't.
Probably best.  I was a Howard owner in multiple leagues and it stung a bit.  Still have him in one, but also have Henry there so feel OK.

More speculation that Howard sitting this week might have to do with trade possibilities (though this writer also guesses at Brate being showcased for a trade which seems random). Why do these writers keep rekindling my false hopes?

[Laine] Rumors continue to swirl around OJ Howard as a trade candidate. Two weeks ago I was told he wasn't available. I'm now told that the only way the Bucs consider trading him right now is for a substantial offer. Multiple teams have inquired.

https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41082857-4

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Jenna Laine reports the Buccaneers would only consider trading O.J. Howard for a "substantial" offer.

Howard wasn't available before the team's Week 7 bye but it sounds like they've budged on the concept of dealing him prior to Tuesday's deadline. The old regime's first-round pick in 2017, any change of scenery would only help Howard since he's been miscast in Bruce Arians' offense and paced for a miserable 33/439.5/0 in six games played. The Patriots reportedly called about Howard last week, so it makes sense that they would simply revisit that deal. He turns 25 in November.

SOURCE: Jenna Laine on Twitter

Oct 28, 2019, 2:05 PM ET

Doesn't make sense that the price is really high since TB barely uses him and/or hate his work ethic. If that's the case he's heading for a roster cut next year. Seems like posturing. 

Might have all the talent in world, but can't rely just on talent in the NFL.  I think his work ethic is poor.  Ariens doesn't just call out players for fun.
Maybe Arians is just a tool and continues to not use the TE.

At Bama OJ was the consummate professional and a hard worker. He was starting to break out last year and got hurt.

Doesn't make sense that the price is really high since TB barely uses him and/or hate his work ethic. If that's the case he's heading for a roster cut next year. Seems like posturing. 
Yep I think it's posturing.  Arians basically said he would get unloaded if the offer made sense, but they aren't giving him away. 

Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians said O.J. Howard is "ready to roll" for Week 10 against the Cardinals.

Cameron Brate (ribs) and Antony Auclair (toe) are currently dealing with significant injuries, making Howard's probable return to the lineup more meaningful. The soon-to-be 25-year-old has only paced for 31 catches and 410 yards on three targets per game this season but would be in a much better position to thrive if he's the only tight end available ahead of Tanner Hudson. It doesn't hurt that the Cardinals have allowed league-highs in catches (64), receiving yards (810) and touchdowns (9) to opposing tight ends. Howard will be a blind faith TE2 if active for Week 10.

SOURCE: Carmen Vitali on Twitter

Nov 4, 2019, 1:38 PM ET

If he plays and Brate doesn't he will be a good bet Week 10 as Arizona has given up a lot of points to opposing TEs. If Brate plays then I wouldn't chance it even with the good matchup.

If he plays and Brate doesn't he will be a good bet Week 10 as Arizona has given up a lot of points to opposing TEs. If Brate plays then I wouldn't chance it even with the good matchup.
Starting with confidence this week.   

Just kidding.  

I'm rolling with Howard as a bye week fill in. If Arians/ Leftwich are ever going to scheme him into a game plan, you'd think that this would be the week. Sample of TE performance against Arizona: Hockenson 6-131-1, Andrews 8-112-1, Olsen 6-75-2, Dissly 7-57-1, Hooper 8-117-1, and Kittle 6-79-1.

I'm rolling with Howard as a bye week fill in. If Arians/ Leftwich are ever going to scheme him into a game plan, you'd think that this would be the week. Sample of TE performance against Arizona: Hockenson 6-131-1, Andrews 8-112-1, Olsen 6-75-2, Dissly 7-57-1, Hooper 8-117-1, and Kittle 6-79-1.
Brate will go off.  :(

Couldn't start him; of course he scores. Hopefully this means he is finally going to be involved more going forward.

He made one of the weakest attempts at catching a pass that I have ever seen in the end zone during the 2 minute drill to win the game.  I don't know if he was trying to flop for a flag or what, but it was pathetic. 

He made one of the weakest attempts at catching a pass that I have ever seen in the end zone during the 2 minute drill to win the game.  I don't know if he was trying to flop for a flag or what, but it was pathetic. 
He was getting pulled in the opposite direction and the ball was almost a full 2 yards away.  The first angle was misleading and made it look like the ball was close to him.

He was getting pulled in the opposite direction and the ball was almost a full 2 yards away.  The first angle was misleading and made it look like the ball was close to him.
I saw the second angle too.  It didn't look like he got pulled that hard.  I thought it was a really bad play. 

O.J. Howard caught 4-of-7 targets for 47 yards and a touchdown in the Bucs' Week 10 win over the Cardinals.

With his best matchup of the year, Howard had his best game of the year, finding the end zone for the first time under coach Bruce Arians. One play after making an excellent 26-yard grab, Howard was left all alone on a coverage bust on his 10-yard score. With six teams on bye, Howard was a no-brainer streamer vs. this defense, but he will go back to the uncertain TE2 bin for Week 11 against the Saints.

Users who are viewing this thread