What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE O.J. Howard, Raiders (2 Viewers)

do we like him better with fitz at the helm?
IMO yes. Winston may have liked his tight ends more but at the end of the day, Fitzpatrick can keep the offense more afloat and I think the guys on that team prefer him at QB anyways. So in the end I think that favors OJ.

Man, I know the Bucs as a team are bad, esp their defense, but if they even had a semblance of a run game...

I wonder if Brate is even in the equation anymore.  OJ looks good and with his limited targets (5ish) capitalizes on them.

yeah, that contract is baffling to me. 
Possible insurance policy.  TE's normally don't excel for a few years in the NFL.  Howard seems to have picked it up quicker then most.  Although I will say i believe its mostly due to the blocking and Brate was not signed for his blocking

Possible insurance policy.  TE's normally don't excel for a few years in the NFL.  Howard seems to have picked it up quicker then most.  Although I will say i believe its mostly due to the blocking and Brate was not signed for his blocking
Plus can effectively they run 2 TE sets.

i don’t see why tbere’s so much controversy over TB having both Brate & OJ. They’re both talented TEs. 

Look at Baltimore - they’ve got like 11 TEs. No one says a word.

most of the concern about Brate seems to be from Howard owners - and it gets louder whenever Brate scores. lol

OJ is #1 in DYAR on Football Outsiders by a WIDE margin. No TE does more per play than Howard.
His efficiency metrics were off the charts last year, and they're even MORE off the charts this year.

Say what you will about TEs taking time to develop but the elite ones have typically had elite efficiency right off the bat and Howard is crushing that.

i don’t see why tbere’s so much controversy over TB having both Brate & OJ. They’re both talented TEs. 

most of the concern about Brate seems to be from Howard owners - and it gets louder whenever Brate scores. lol
No one was surprised Tampa would prefer to keep Brate.  People were surprised by the massive contract he got.  He makes 3x what all of those Baltimore TEs make COMBINED.  His contract has the same total value as Ertz and Kelce.  Granted, with less guarantees, which is good for Howard because it means it's very unlikely that Brate sees that contract out.

the difference here is that Brate is playing something like 40% of the snaps, snaps similar to tight ends such as Maxx Williams, Logan Paulsen, Dion Sims, Demetrius Harris, Dwayne Allen, etc. That is WITH the Howard injury. You are also paying him big money and half the Ravens TEs are rookies or still on their rookie contract. I feel like the Bucs should get some type of trade for Brate this or next year, they have much bigger needs.

the difference here is that Brate is playing something like 40% of the snaps, snaps similar to tight ends such as Maxx Williams, Logan Paulsen, Dion Sims, Demetrius Harris, Dwayne Allen, etc. That is WITH the Howard injury. You are also paying him big money and half the Ravens TEs are rookies or still on their rookie contract. I feel like the Bucs should get some type of trade for Brate this or next year, they have much bigger needs.
His snap percentage is on the decline 29% week 8. The last game he had a target was 2 or 3 games ago.  As an OJ owner nice to see

Was able to land him in a redraft trade this week - Goff/Marvin Jones/  Rodgers/Howard.  It was originally to cover Gronk's bye in a short bench.  Now I may be rolling with OJ ROS and shopping Gronk.

Why would you play Graham over Howard?  It shouldn't be tempting, it should be an easy call to play OJ.
You're probably right. Howard is outscoring him. I guess it's name recognition and the guy throwing to him. All,three experts on myfootballguys has Graham higher too. But they are just as guilty I think as I am of "name recognition bias."

Was able to land him in a redraft trade this week - Goff/Marvin Jones/  Rodgers/Howard.  It was originally to cover Gronk's bye in a short bench.  Now I may be rolling with OJ ROS and shopping Gronk.
I got him 2 weeks ago for Edelman straight up (my WRs are Tyreek, Diggs, Golladay and Godwin). It hurts losing a safe floor guy like Julian, but Reed was killing me at TE.

In dynasty, there are only 2 TE's (Kelce and Ertz) who I would definitely take over him right now.

Gronk seems to be aging and that becomes a factor quickly. A case could be made for Engram or Njoku or Kittle, but based on how efficient Howard's been with his targets and how much of an athletic freak he is, if his role grows (which I think it inevitably will) he could be a real beast.

He's only 23 and a first year starter, and aside from the Bears game when he hurt his knee, he's on a 64 catch, 1,100 yard pace in his 6 full games played despite having only 2 games with more than 4 targets. He's been ridiculous and figures to get better.

Both TDs were goal line plays specifically designed for him as the first option.  He was in the backfield and used his speed into the flats on both.

He looked good 1 on 1 lined up wide.  Great body control to adjust to a jump ball.  He has the tools to be the #1 TE if ever used correctly.

This guy is probably the most underrated player in fantasy right now.  Do we really think Cameron Brate is going to keep the ball out of OJ's hands.  Brate is just a guy, OJ is the next new hotness.  I predict a bit of a slow start while Winston is suspended but a massive back half of the season for OJ.  TEs take longer to adjust to the NFL, but he progressed throughout last season and given his physical tools, I see no reason that will stop.  Top 4 TE by the time the playoffs roll around IMO
Top 4 TE yet? Getting close at minimum.

Anyone see the game yesterday?  What was the story?

I saw some plays on RedZone, but Fitz was continually targetting Brate.

Anyone see the game yesterday?  What was the story?

I saw some plays on RedZone, but Fitz was continually targetting Brate.
Neither TE was targeted much.  I believe Brate had 3 targets and OJ had 1.

No idea how you only give this guy 1 target, but maybe a zero TD performance as a result will clue them in a little.

It did look like Fitz was winding up to throw to an open OJ in the endzone on the last drive of the game where he was strip sacked before he could get it out.

I didn't see the game, so Bucs' homers feel  free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it does seem like the downside of this offense having so many weapons is that you never know who's going to eat. I have Howard and Godwin and have started the wrong one each of the past two weeks.

This guy reminds me of Kenyon Drake so much hope and star power and teams don't know how to utilize them ..how can u have a black Travis kelce and not use him 

kyoun1e said:
Why exactly did Koetter decide to start calling plays? It's the defense that needs more of the fixin vs. the offense.
Because he's an idiot.  No surprise, as soon as he takes over the TDs disappear.  Monken had dialed up some great plays for Howard and others in the Red Zone.  Koetter?  OJ wasn't even on the field.  Dope.

was ready to plug him in the starting lineup for good but Sunday makes it hard now. Have Hooper as well and he doesn’t have the upside of Howard but much better floor since it’s a 1.5 PPR for TEs league. 

Because he's an idiot.  No surprise, as soon as he takes over the TDs disappear.  Monken had dialed up some great plays for Howard and others in the Red Zone.  Koetter?  OJ wasn't even on the field.  Dope.
This is the type of change that would have been extremely valuable to know before kickoff, so I would avoid Fitz and OJ in DFS. Koetter was awful last season calling plays and somehow managed to pull off a historic loss gaining 500 yds and only 3 pts. Meanwhile the Saints had 500 yds and scored 51 pts. Please hand it back to Monken.

This is the type of change that would have been extremely valuable to know before kickoff, so I would avoid Fitz and OJ in DFS. Koetter was awful last season calling plays and somehow managed to pull off a historic loss gaining 500 yds and only 3 pts. Meanwhile the Saints had 500 yds and scored 51 pts. Please hand it back to Monken.
I imagine he'll be asked at some point this week leading up to the game.  No idea if he'll reveal who will actually call the plays Sunday though.  His red zone play calling and run game is extremely vanilla/predictable.  Monken was dialing up designed plays for Howard, which of course we saw against Carolina.  It's all Koetter's offense, but he gets into these tendencies that are maddening. 

He said he wanted to take over the play calling because of the type of game he was expecting.  Wanted to run the ball more.  Can't he just relay that to his coordinator?  It has been pretty difficult for Bucs' fans to understand all week.  The offense was punching it in at will on a weekly basis.  smh

Regardless of who is calling the plays, I hope this braintrust watched the NYG/SF game. SF peppered Kittle with targets. You knew it was going to him like every other pass and they still left him wide open.

They are complete idiots if they don't seriously game plan OJ Howard in this week.

I think it's pretty simple.  I have Howard and Ebron.  If it's disclosed that Koetter is calling the plays I'm plugging in Ebron as at least I know Ebron is Luck's first or second read in the endzone.  If they come out and say it is Monken calling plays again then I roll with Howard.

Users who are viewing this thread