What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nephew needs math tutoring....going to try do it online...suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Short Corner

Footballguy
So my sister messages me that my nephew needs a math tutor. I majored in and taught/tutored math a while back. We are going to try and do this over Skype or some other client. Anyone know if I can use a stylus on a tablet and send my scribblings over the innerwebs via chat?

TIA

What grade level?

Khan Academy is as good as anything if not better, totally free. I would start there but I have lots of websites and youtube teachers who make life easy. Teachers Pay Teachers is a fantastic site and a lot of parents don't seem to realize they can go there.

What grade level?

Khan Academy is as good as anything if not better, totally free. I would start there but I have lots of websites and youtube teachers who make life easy. Teachers Pay Teachers is a fantastic site and a lot of parents don't seem to realize they can go there.
7th grade...she uses KA...she wants me to go thru his HW and tests with him so I can see his thought process and give him some guidance. Was hoping there was something out there that allows me to see what he is writing and vice versa.

7th? Right in my wheelhouse, I see 100 of them every other day.

1. Ratios and Proportions: Fractions and being able to convert decimals to % to fractions and mix n match.

-Compound Fractions, love them and embrace them, big component of this section.

-Equivalent ratios

-Tables, graphs, equations

-Tax, Markups/Markdowns, Commissions, Fees, % increase

2. The Number System:Horizontal and Vertical Number lines, Mult/Div Fractions

3. Expressions and Equations: Add/Subtract linear equations, heavy word problems in this section involving fractions and decimals

4. Geometry: Angles, Circles, Volume, Scale Drawings, Triangles, Rectangular prisms, interesting section IMO.

5. Stats and Probability: Pretty straight forward.

The codes are 7.RP, 7.NS, 7.EE, 7.G, and 7.SP if you are looking for specifics at say teachers pay teachers which is actually loaded with freebies if you look around.

Good luck!

What grade level?

7th grade...she uses KA...she wants me to go thru his HW and tests with him so I can see his thought process and give him some guidance. Was hoping there was something out there that allows me to see what he is writing and vice versa.
Would a Google hangout work? That way, you could share Docs via Google Docs, make corrections in real time, all while video chatting via the Hangout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Short Corner said:
So my sister messages me that my nephew needs a math tutor. I majored in and taught/tutored math a while back. We are going to try and do this over Skype or some other client. Anyone know if I can use a stylus on a tablet and send my scribblings over the innerwebs via chat?

TIA
IDroo is a pretty good whiteboard app that works well with Skype. Easy to insert equations and images.

Ministry of Pain said:

1. Ratios and Proportions: Fractions and being able to convert decimals to % to fractions and mix n match.

-Equivalent ratios

3. Expressions and Equations: Add/Subtract linear equations, heavy word problems in this section involving fractions and decimals

4. Geometry: Angles, Circles, Volume, Scale Drawings, Triangles, Rectangular prisms, interesting section IMO.

The codes are 7.RP, 7.NS, 7.EE, 7.G, and 7.SP if you are looking for specifics at say teachers pay teachers which is actually loaded with freebies if you look around.

Good luck!
You do realize this has nothing to do with the question he asked, right?

Ministry of Pain said:

-Equivalent ratios

Good luck!
He is asking about a 7th grade math tutor and feels he can do the job so I am simply enabling him based on the widely accepted and practiced common core. The OP also seemed to like the initial ideas as well as others. What did I miss braniac?

Ministry of Pain said:

-Equivalent ratios

Good luck!
He is asking about a 7th grade math tutor and feels he can do the job so I am simply enabling him based on the widely accepted and practiced common core. The OP also seemed to like the initial ideas as well as others. What did I miss braniac?
Might want to read his post again

Does it say "hey guys any good math tutor programs available?"

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I am really trying to tutor him myself over Skype or something of the like. I live 9 timezones away from him and see them for a week a year so I hope it will be a good opportunity to connect with him as well.

Being a math major, I'm guessing he could handle whatever math 7th graders are being taught. MoP on the other hand...

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I am really trying to tutor him myself over Skype or something of the like. I live 9 timezones away from him and see them for a week a year so I hope it will be a good opportunity to connect with him as well.
Going back to my earlier comment, Google Hangouts with Google Docs would work well for this. Give it a shot.

Going back to my earlier comment, Google Hangouts with Google Docs would work well for this. Give it a shot.
Second G hangouts.

Khan Academy is definitely good. Another good resource is this one which has some very useful math worksheets, segregated grade-wise. Surface area, scale drawings, rational numbers, algebraic expressions, it has it all.

Users who are viewing this thread