What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Alex Collins, SEA (2 Viewers)

Think I might be starting him in my standard league. Anderson  and Kamara on bye and choosing between Martin, Collins, Henry, Rodgers, Rawls 

Yuck. 

In a PPR starting Collins, Cohen, Smallwood, and Duke. Ingram and Kamara on my bench with the bye. Just lost Carson (and DJ at the beginning of the year). The Seattle backs all sit there available on the wire.

I would only do that in standard. If it's PPR it's Cohen six days a week and twice on Sunday.
Normally i'd agree, but bears situation breaking in rookie qb, probably leads to more of a howard style clock grinding game.

Normally i'd agree, but bears situation breaking in rookie qb, probably leads to more of a howard style clock grinding game.
Agree. And Fox wouldn't use Cohen even with Howard having shoulder issues that clearly bothered him during the game. AND put Bennie Cunningham in there ahead of Cohen. Not much trust on my end for Cohen moving forward.

You'd have to be insane to not start the checkdown RB of a rookie QB in his first game, imo. I'm sure they know they underutilized Cohen last week. 

Hurting for depth in one league, I'm starting Collins over McGuire this week

You'd have to be insane to not start the checkdown RB of a rookie QB in his first game, imo. I'm sure they know they underutilized Cohen last week. 

:shrug: i would rather start Collins over Cohen in standard.

Most of us know. But does Fox know? He may see things differently. And with your rookie QB going in against a top defense, chances are he's going to pound the ball with Howard all day.

Lost DJ in week 1, and Carson last week. in standard league and also have both Cohen & Collins...leaning Cohen personally. 

Lost DJ in week 1, and Carson last week. in standard league and also have both Cohen & Collins...leaning Cohen personally. 
It's difficult. I lost Carson (and Cook) too this past week. Picked up Collins who was sitting there for free this morning, forgot about last night's waiver run. I think for this week, Collins might be the better start. Cohen has a tough match-up and a role that is a bit up in the air plus a coach who doesn't seem to know how to use him. Collins at least seems to be getting the bulk of the work, plus with Oakland losing Carr, this game should be closer, leading to potentially more touches for Collins. Dry reply but you get the gist.

Tommy Collins said:
Agree. And Fox wouldn't use Cohen even with Howard having shoulder issues that clearly bothered him during the game. AND put Bennie Cunningham in there ahead of Cohen. Not much trust on my end for Cohen moving forward.
Howard played 35 snaps  against the Packers, Cohen played 18 and Cunningham played 16.. I have cohen/howard and i'm still leaning towards collins in flex.

With Ty Montgomery likely being on a very small pitch count if playing at all, need to make decisions with the RB spot.

Do you think Collins is dependable starting material at this point, and if so, makes for a safer play than a guy like Rawls?

Both backs will split time, both backs have offenses that struggle, but I feel Collins still has a step or two to really cement his role while Rawls does not (will likely get first crack and just has to stay more consistent/effective than Lacy).

With Ty Montgomery likely being on a very small pitch count if playing at all, need to make decisions with the RB spot.

Do you think Collins is dependable starting material at this point, and if so, makes for a safer play than a guy like Rawls?

Both backs will split time, both backs have offenses that struggle, but I feel Collins still has a step or two to really cement his role while Rawls does not (will likely get first crack and just has to stay more consistent/effective than Lacy).
Well, if your options are Ty, Rawls, or Collins then I would say Collins would be a good bet. The Raiders defense has been pretty good against the run, but Collins has been a spark. It seems like the fumbling thing hasn't sidelined him yet. I imagine if he puts the ball on the ground again this week he's in deep trouble.

With Ty, I do not believe he will play. I see him as more Doubtful than Questionable. If he does play, I see Jones getting more of the passing down work, just because it is going to be so painful and potentially dangerous for him to be out in the open fielding passes. Plus, Dallas knows his ribs hurt too, so I think we can expect them to hit him a little more into the ribcage to try and force him out a bit. 

Given you have two beat up RBs and one healthy with a case of fumblitis, I'd go with the most healthy. Collins has back to back games over 8 points in PPR... with no TDs. That's pretty good. I expect him to have about 75 yards and a score this week. 

I don't see Rawls putting up 10+ points. Ty could if he was fully healthy but I can just see Ty putting up 40 yards and nothing else if he does play. GB has a multitude of backs to use, so no need to rush Ty back. 

With the news of Perkins being out I am probably now starting Gallman over Collins at RB2 but I can still flex Collins over Funchess. Hmmm. Could be a nerve wracking Sunday

With the news of Perkins being out I am probably now starting Gallman over Collins at RB2 but I can still flex Collins over Funchess. Hmmm. Could be a nerve wracking Sunday
I'm in the same situation kinda. Have to start 2/3 Lynch, Collins, Gallman.

Starting 3 of: Ajayi, Cohen, Collins, Abdullah, TY Hilton. I benched Hilton when he had his big game, played him last week, likely benching him so he will go off. PPR league... likely going with Ajayi, Cohen, Abdullah, but considering Collins over Cohen

Collins looks like an above average runner--good speed and elusiveness.  He doesn't look like a great short yardage guy.  But if he can hold onto the ball, he looks like more than a JAG.

Same..Gallman now in at RB2 for me.

Collins in at flex for now (over Crowell, Rawls, A. Jones)

I've got to think a huge part of not fumbling is hand size & strength. Part of ball security is keeping it tucked with your foreman against the side of your chest, but the main force applied to the ball is your hand. 

I'm not sure what Collins' hand size is, but if I were his RB coach, I'd have him get with the S&C Coach & do a bunch of hand strengthening exercises.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got to think a huge part of not fumbling is hand size & strength. Part of ball security is keeping it tucked with your foreman against the side of your chest, but the main force applied to the ball is your hand. 

I'm not sure what Collins' hand size is, but if I were his RB coach, I'd have him get with the S&C Coach & do a bunch of hand strengthening exercises.
Not really. Most fumbles are caused by guys just having one hand on the ball and valuing an attempt for extra yardage over ball security. Guys like Collins like to show off and flash their elusiveness which is difficult to do with two hands on the ball. 

In reality, Collins should have the ball against his chest with one hand under and one hand on top of the ball. In that scenario, there's literally no way for the ball to come out except for a freak ball-rip which rarely happens when you have it tucked in that fashion. 

Collins will have to choose to forego his flashy elusiveness for ball security if he wants to hang onto the ball and hang onto his job. 

Not really. Most fumbles are caused by guys just having one hand on the ball and valuing an attempt for extra yardage over ball security. Guys like Collins like to show off and flash their elusiveness which is difficult to do with two hands on the ball. 

In reality, Collins should have the ball against his chest with one hand under and one hand on top of the ball. In that scenario, there's literally no way for the ball to come out except for a freak ball-rip which rarely happens when you have it tucked in that fashion. 

Collins will have to choose to forego his flashy elusiveness for ball security if he wants to hang onto the ball and hang onto his job. 
I disagree. I'm assuming you're saying to run with two hands on the ball at all times? That's fine in dense traffic & in certain game-specific situations, but you would lose WAY too much elusiveness & speed if you kept two hands on the ball at all times. 

I disagree. I'm assuming you're saying to run with two hands on the ball at all times? That's fine in dense traffic & in certain game-specific situations, but you would lose WAY too much elusiveness & speed if you kept two hands on the ball at all times. 
Not at all times, no. At specific times. In high-traffic, yes. When being tackled, yes. But guys like Collins tend to forget to do this. 

Not at all times, no. At specific times. In high-traffic, yes. When being tackled, yes. But guys like Collins tend to forget to do this. 
I don't have a problem with it in dense traffic, but a RB has to use that technique sparingly because you're essentially limiting yourself to reduced elusiveness at a reduced speed.

I checked Collins' hand size & it's 9.25". Not big, but not small, either.

His hand size shouldn't be a problem, but I'd definitely take a look at increasing hand strength if I was the Ravens. It couldn't hurt.

With better awareness, technique, & stronger hands, I see no reason why Collins can't fix this problem. It's one of the more fixable issues a player can have, but one that can certainly relegate them to the bench.

I checked Collins' hand size & it's 9.25". Not big, but not small, either.

His hand size shouldn't be a problem, but I'd definitely take a look at increasing hand strength if I was the Ravens. It couldn't hurt.

With better awareness, technique, & stronger hands, I see no reason why Collins can't fix this problem. It's one of the more fixable issues a player can have, but one that can certainly relegate them to the bench.
Tiki changed...so there's hope. 

yeah. watch mccoy. he dangles the ball out there all the time but the moment he feels someone's within reach he puts it away.

For those who brought up TIki Barber's fumbles regarding Alex Collins, it reminded me of a game I watched way back in the day and I found it on YouTube. I remember it because Giants were fighting for a playoff spot then, this was 2002. I know it's a long video, but just watch it to end and see the absolute pit of despair Tiki reached at one point (see 5:54). 

December 28th, 2002 - It was arguably one of his best games and also one of his worst...

When Giants hired Tom Couglin in 2004, he drilled the "high and tight" mentality into Tiki. When they mention holding it that way and random people coming at Tiki to slap it away, that was real. Tiki had to carry a ball at times even during film study, and in the article I linked Tiki HATED Coughlin for how relentless he was, but credits him for making him the player he became.

One thing that I found interesting in regards to fumbling was Dalvin Cook talking about his ball security (which was a knock on him from college) is that he learned how to cross grip the ball with the Vikings which is something he didn't learn how to do with Florida State. I am not sure specifically what cross gripping the football means however. It could mean the technique of using your other hand to hold your wrist that is carrying the ball to lock that into place? Or it may mean having your fingers in the right position while holding the ball at the point of it. I am not entirely sure about that.

From the article Weebs210 linked above

“We’re working on the way he carries the ball, technique-wise,” Harbaugh says. “I do think, in his case, that he can be corrected. I think he is very conscientious of it. I feel the same way about all of our guys; I don’t think we have any ‘fumblers.’ Once you feel a guy is a fumbler, you’re pretty much done with him.”

One thing that I found interesting in regards to fumbling was Dalvin Cook talking about his ball security (which was a knock on him from college) is that he learned how to cross grip the ball with the Vikings which is something he didn't learn how to do with Florida State. I am not sure specifically what cross gripping the football means however. It could mean the technique of using your other hand to hold your wrist that is carrying the ball to lock that into place? Or it may mean having your fingers in the right position while holding the ball at the point of it. I am not entirely sure about that.

From the article Weebs210 linked above
I've never heard of the cross-gripping technique, but I believe it means instead of having your fingers on a mostly north-south axis, you wrap your fingers around the ball in a more east-west fashion (or across the ball).

It kinda makes sense when you think about it.

I've never heard of the cross-gripping technique, but I believe it means instead of having your fingers on a mostly north-south axis, you wrap your fingers around the ball in a more east-west fashion (or across the ball).

It kinda makes sense when you think about it.
Yeah that was my thought as well.

Just not entirely sure cross grip is specifically about that technique or something else.

Something I would like to learn more about if anyone knows. I did a quick google on cross grip but didn't find a clear answer.

Kinda like the Giants backfield in my eyes.. I'm passing on the lot of it.
Yeah. I dropped Allen for Gallman but idk, it didn't feel right. Their line blows.

I ultimately felt it was worth the risk for my team because I'm searching for a rb2. I have a bench full of guys I don't really want to start yet tho ugh

Users who are viewing this thread