What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Alex Collins, SEA (3 Viewers)

Tries to shake defenders too much.

So does Shady...

Did you just compare Collins to Shady?
I don't think that's what he did, necessarily - but I also don't really agree with your assessment in the first place. He looked pretty decisive and showed great vision in the games I watched. I thought he attacked defenders as much, if not more often, than he tried to make moves on them.

Been watching a few of Collins old games. He's really exciting to watch maybe it's the hair but he feels like a mix of Lynch and Charles. He's smart with the clock, falls forward, and has pretty good balance. He's not afraid to run through someone.He's not as fast as Charles in 2nd level but has the juice to break off big chunks of yards. Seemed to be alright in pass protect too. Collins is my favorite RB so far.

He's definitely my #2. But that comment caught me off guard. Favorite over Zeke even?

I just meant that he's my favorite RB that I've watched. Ezekiel has so much tape I haven't gotten around to watching much yet. I will check out more tape this week/weekend and check back.

Dr. Octopus said:
I don't think that's what he did, necessarily - but I also don't really agree with your assessment in the first place. He looked pretty decisive and showed great vision in the games I watched. I thought he attacked defenders as much, if not more often, than he tried to make moves on them.

I think we can all agree Shady is more laterally explosive and can try to shake defenders all he wants.  Collins just isn't on par with Shady, so I'm simply saying he does it too often for the type of RB he is.  When he does try to do it, it seems to cost him a few yards because his stop/start isn't elite.

I think he's a solid RB2 type. But I think his teammate Jonathan Williams is really close in talent.

Tries to shake defenders too much.

So does Shady...

Did you just compare Collins to Shady?
I, in no way compared him to Shady.  But the same thing could be said about Shady.  

Collins has a great first step but isn't quite as quick or sudden as Mr. McCoy.  I don't like judging a guy too quickly by labeling him as "he does x too much or too little" because we don't know how he'll respond to NFL type of coaching and the pressure of just being a pro in general.  Lots of RB's get caught in the backfield by trying to create and I see that as a positive (you seem to see it as a negative) that when he gets pressured he tries to create a play from what is usually already a loss.  He has pretty good vision in my book so I'm not too worried about "dancing" or anything in the backfield. 

I think we can all agree Shady is more laterally explosive and can try to shake defenders all he wants.  Collins just isn't on par with Shady, so I'm simply saying he does it too often for the type of RB he is.  When he does try to do it, it seems to cost him a few yards because his stop/start isn't elite.

I think he's a solid RB2 type. But I think his teammate Jonathan Williams is really close in talent.
If (big if I know) Williams can return from the injury, he was the lead back of the two.  Both got plenty of work and I really like Collins and think he will have a good, not great, NFL career.  That said, I believe Williams can be the better back if he comes back 100%.  

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Mike Mayock indicated that he believes that Arkansas RB Alex Collins "looks like a [third-round] back."
In a Twitter question-and-answer session, Mayock described Collins' pass protection prowess against Alabama as his favorite game tape for the 5-foot-11, 206-pound Arkansas product. "[He] knocked [a] 310-pound DT on his back," Mayock observed. Apart from his blocking ability, he also offers a tough-nosed approach to the game, having carried the ball 665 times in his three seasons with the Razorbacks--including a 271-carry campaign in 2015. He ended the year having rushed for 1,577 yards and 13 touchdowns. Perhaps the most surprising statistical aspect of Collins given his dependability, he scored a relatively modest 27 touchdowns across those three seasons of work.

Source: Mike Mayock on Twitter

kinda thought Collins would be in the 4.40 range and more reps .... Henry/Elliot and a couple of others might have leaped over Collins today

kinda thought Collins would be in the 4.40 range and more reps .... Henry/Elliot and a couple of others might have leaped over Collins today
Plus a horrendous vertical, quite possibly the biggest loser of the day, and I say that as someone who has been a big fan for years now. 

Glad I took a look at Jonathan Williams, he looks fantastic.  Collins probably took one of the biggest hits today and I was not very impressed at all.  Thought he'd be much better and now I have to question my RB3 in this draft.  Prosise looked pretty good and easily jumps Collins in my mind and he might not be the only one.  

Kansas plays pretty good defense for the most part. 

I count 3 missed tackles by number 21. Two of those missed tackles resulted in TD by Collins, both runs up the middle. Collins does a nice job of picking his way through traffic and finding daylight in the chaos. The spread formation is a lot more effective than when they tried to run out of formations with more blockers.

Alex Collins declined the speed and agility drills and also the bench press. Collins was content - as were NFL personnel, he said - with his times in the 40-yard dash and change-of-direction drills from the combine. He two simple things he wanted to improve Wednesday.

“I feel like I really improved on the things I wanted to improve on,” Collins said. “I wanted to come out here do good, run some good routes, catch the ball and improve my vertical. I did that. Improved my vertical four inches and I didn’t drop the ball so I feel like I impressed with the way I performed.”

http://arkansasnews.com/sports/arkansas-pro-day-success-all-involved

If his vertical improved to 32.5", which is what this suggests, its at least a decent jump.  Of the 23 RBs that jumped at the combine, 13 of them were at 34" or less.  

NFL Draft Scout's Frank Cooney wrote that Arkansas RB Alex Collins "is not as big as some runners or as fast as others, but he is as tough and determined as any of them."
"[Collins] is a no-nonsense, north-south runner who reaches top speed faster than some defenders can adjust," Cooney noted. He went on to call him a "decent receiver and adequate blocker," but believes both of those skills need to be honed in order for the 5-foot-10, 217-pounder to reach his ceiling. NFL Media's Lance Zierlein has deemed Collins as a "repetitive runner lacking dynamic talent," but sees him as potential immediate contributor in terms of red zone carries. Regardless of what analysts are saying about his overall athletic prowess, the Arkansas rock has a high enough opinion of his own abilities. Said Collins, "I honestly feel like I'm the best running back in the draft." Duly noted, Mr. Collins, duly noted.

Source: CBS Sports 
Apr 9 - 8:31 PM

He was pretty much the median #3 RB before the combine. It will interesting to see how he performs in the NFL. 

Seahawks selected Arkansas RB Alex Collins with the No. 171 overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft.
Collins (5'10/217) rotated with Jonathan Williams until Williams suffered a year-ending injury ahead of the 2015 season, turning in a 271-1,577-20 (5.82 YPC) rushing line as the Razorbacks' feature runner last year. Although Collins was productive in college, his tape shows limited short-area burst, an inability to beat defenders to the edge, and the skill set of a workmanlike, replacement-level runner. Collins' athletic deficiencies were confirmed in Indy, running 4.59 with sluggish broad (9'5") and vertical (28 1/2") jumps. He'll be a dime-a-dozen back in the NFL.

Apr 30 - 3:32 PM

John Boyle of the Seahawks' website expects fifth-round RB Alex Collins to "compete for carries" right away.
With Thomas Rawls (ankle) sitting out the offseason program and questionable for the start of training camp and maybe even Week 1, carries are up for grabs this summer. Christine Michael has been running with the ones in OTAs, but by no means is he secured atop the depth chart. Collins doesn't bring anything special to the table athletically, but was productive in college.

Source: seahawks.com 
Jun 7 - 8:25 PM

Based on the games I watched of Alex Collins and CJ Prosise Collins is a better RB. Prosise is likely a better receiver than Collins is, but as far as running the football, not fumbling the football, and blocking Alex Collins is a better player than Prosise is. Prosise is more athletic than Collins is and has more upside if he develops, but its a projection. 

Seattle doesn't make a lot of sense to me. They say they draft based off of sparq scores except for when they don't.

When it comes down to who they play, they don't care about sparq, draft position or anything besides who is the best player. Whoever is the best player is who will play. Their draft strategy is not aligned with their strategy about who will start.

If Rawls has issues and Prosise isn't ready yet,  I could see Collins taking over this backfield this year.

I don't know anything about Brooks.

The Seattle Times' Bob Condotta believes fifth-round RB Alex Collins will compete for "immediate playing time."
Collins' path to playing time would be easier if Thomas Rawls (ankle) was forced to miss time, but it sounds like he will be ready for Week 1 at the latest. That leaves Collins to compete with C.J. Prosise and Christine Michael for a role. Collins' draft slot should earn him the benefit of the doubt, but his college tape left a lot to be desired. He could struggle even if given an opportunity this season.

Source: Seattle Times 
Jul 19 - 12:21 PM

Ran a bit hesitant IMO.  Got stuffed in the first quarter on consecutive 3rd/4th down carries needing just a yard.  Also dropped a quick hitting pass while split out wide.  Guessing he just blew a legit chance to put his name in the conversation for regular season snaps, especially with Prosise returning.

I live out here.  This next preseason game will be interesting.  I think he's gonna make the team, and I believe in his talent, but the Seahawks O-line is suspect and teams know Seattle wants to run the ball.  I just see that whole offense as starting slow again and picking up after they lose a few and start opening up their offense.

As for the talking heads, everyone has definitely cooled on him after last game.  

Seahawks waived RB Alex Collins.

The 2016 fifth-rounder could not carve out a role in a wide-open backfield, getting passed by seventh-rounder Chris Carson. Collins generated just 89 yards on 22 preseason carries (4.00 YPC). He graded out as a poor athlete by NFL running back standards, and his Seahawks tape ended up matching his measurables.

Related: Seahawks

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Sep 2 - 1:14 PM

It definitely could be, but it isn't like Seattle had a "murderer's row" of RB's in front of him.
He has a row in front of him, but Lacy, Rawls and Prosise are hardly murderers.  All talented but all with warts as well.

My concern with Carson is that it seems every year Seattle has a standout RB, Pete C loves to talk about RB's that hit the hole hard and I just think it leads to a lot of glowing coach speak.  Last year it was Collins, released this year.  The year before it was Rawls,a good six game stretch and then fighting for his job.  Christine Michael 3yrs ago.  Carson...we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread