What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Alex Collins, SEA (1 Viewer)

Jets signed RB Alex Collins to their practice squad.

Collins cleared waivers after being let go by the Seahawks on Saturday. Even if he's promoted to the active roster, Collins won't be more than a change-of-pace option behind Bilal Powell and Matt Forte.

Related: Seahawks

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Although it doesn't save them any money I wouldn't be shocked to see the Jets release Forte now and let Collins and McGuire run behind Powell and see if they have any future with the team.

Updating a previous item, ex-Seahawks RB Alex Collins has signed with the Ravens' practice squad.

Collins looked all set to join the Jets' practice squad, but NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Collins' camp saw Baltimore as a "better fit with more opportunity." The Ravens are presently carrying only Terrance West, Danny Woodhead, and Buck Allen at tailback. Collins could receive a call-up at some point.

Related: Jets

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Sep 3 - 3:18 PM

give him 4-5 weeks and I believe he can overtake West & Allen for the 2 down RB gig with Ravens
I think it is possible.  For all the Jonathan Williams hype, Collins was arguably the better back in college.  West had a disappointing preseason, gaining only 38 yards on 16 carries (2.4 ypc) and has a career 3.9 ypc average.  Collins was obviously buried at RB in Seattle, but it doesn't bode well for him that he was passed by both Chris Carson and Mike Davis.  A fresh start with much less competition could help Collins, but he will have to distinguish himself from the practice squad for now.  A West injury or continued disappointing play could motivate the Ravens to promote Collins and give him a shot.

Ravens signed RB Alex Collins to the 53-man roster.

Collins will provide depth to the Ravens' running back situation with Danny Woodhead out. Terrence West and Buck Allen figure to receive the majority of the work, but Collins may receive a few carries in a backup role in Week 2.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Sep 16 - 12:07 PM

Alex Collins rushed seven times for 42 yards in the Ravens' Week 2 win over the Browns.

He was the third back in the game behind Buck Allen and Terrance West, and was used mostly to salt clock against a tired Browns defense. Still, the Ravens appear committed to an RBBC, and so if Allen or West misses any time in the future, Collins could step into a role handling double-digit touches per game.

He also lost a fumble with those 7 carries.
He lost a fumble fighting for extra yards, but he had an impressive 7 carries before that. Harbaugh said after the game he earned more playing time. He's definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why people are so interested in him.  Clearly this is the West/Allen show until Woodhead returns.  He seems like an injury spec player and I think there are more interesting guys out there who are also injury spec players.

Not sure why people are so interested in him.  Clearly this is the West/Allen show until Woodhead returns.  He seems like an injury spec player and I think there are more interesting guys out there who are also injury spec players.
Well, a couple things:

1) West is already hurt ... to what extent, we don't know exactly, but it's a soft tissue injury.
2) West hasn't exactly looked good -- from preseason through 2 weeks.  He's averaging 3.8 YPC right now.

Is it that crazy to think West could be passed by a potentially better runner?  The Collins path to the Ravens doesn't look that different than the West path to the Ravens.

You are probably right but it's not like he's behind McCoy and Bell - it's possible he shows enough to overtake West.

West hasn't shown much. I can see Collins taking over for him in a game or two but Allen's touches appear safe.

Well, a couple things:

1) West is already hurt ... to what extent, we don't know exactly, but it's a soft tissue injury.
2) West hasn't exactly looked good -- from preseason through 2 weeks.  He's averaging 3.8 YPC right now.

Is it that crazy to think West could be passed by a potentially better runner?  The Collins path to the Ravens doesn't look that different than the West path to the Ravens.

You are probably right but it's not like he's behind McCoy and Bell - it's possible he shows enough to overtake West.
I absolutely agree that West is nothing special as a runner, I made the same argument in one of the WW threads encouraging people to target Buck Allen.

However to me it seems obvious that Harbaugh likes West. My guess is he views him as a safe and reliable option who won't screw things up. There are a lot of coaches who strongly prefer the safe and reliable choice over the riskier, higher upside guys.  I think Harbaugh is one of those guys.

The soft tissue injury should definitely be monitored but I think the bigger injury that people should pay attention to regarding the Ravens run game is the one that knocked Yanda out for the season.  He's, arguably, their best offensive lineman so it's going to hurt no matter what. Plus they don't get the play the Bengals and Browns every week, then again their schedule isn't exactly filled with a murderer's row of stout defenses either.

Well for me personally, I'm watching on game rewind West and Allen getting a crap ton of carries and targets, but I'm saying, "meh,  :whistle: " while they're getting touchdowns and yards. Then all of the sudden a new guy with dread locks carries the ball, and I'm like, "wow!  :thumbup: "  He just impressed me. Not to the point where I'll bust my entire FAAB, but enough for me to keep my eye on him. And like Dr. Octopus said, not much stands in his way for opportunity. 

However to me it seems obvious that Harbaugh likes West. My guess is he views him as a safe and reliable option who won't screw things up. There are a lot of coaches who strongly prefer the safe and reliable choice over the riskier, higher upside guys.  I think Harbaugh is one of those guys.
It doesn't seem obvious to me - what choice has he had so far?

West has been his only option thus far. Maybe Collins is actually safer and more reliable than West, plus provides upside. The point is that Collins is interesting to people because he just may get a chance, in what is a good situation and most people don't see West as a tremendous obstacle in the way.

How do you know?  How do you know what players are available in what leagues? 

I agree that he needs an injury to be relevant in most leagues, but there are reports of some nebulous soft-tissue injury for West already.  In one of my leagues, Collins is on the WW & will likely stay there until one of West/Allen are DEFINITELY out.  In another, I picked him up after he made the 53 last week.  In that second league, E McGuire and A Blue are the "best" RBs available on the WW.  Which one of them do you think is the better injury spec play?

It doesn't seem obvious to me - what choice has he had so far?

West has been his only option thus far. Maybe Collins is actually safer and more reliable than West, plus provides upside. The point is that Collins is interesting to people because he just may get a chance, in what is a good situation and most people don't see West as a tremendous obstacle in the way.
He might be, but I'd think that the fumble on Sunday didn't strengthen that argument.

How do you know?  How do you know what players are available in what leagues? 

I agree that he needs an injury to be relevant in most leagues, but there are reports of some nebulous soft-tissue injury for West already.  In one of my leagues, Collins is on the WW & will likely stay there until one of West/Allen are DEFINITELY out.  In another, I picked him up after he made the 53 last week.  In that second league, E McGuire and A Blue are the "best" RBs available on the WW.  Which one of them do you think is the better injury spec play?
Come on Bay, don't ask me to take all 20,000 shark pool members league parameters into account before suggesting that there are more interesting injury spec options available out there.  If there are literally no other options and Collins is available then, by all means, I fully encourage you to go grab him. Sincerely I do. But try not to think about why he is the last available option either.

Come on Bay, don't ask me to take all 20,000 shark pool members league parameters into account before suggesting that there are more interesting injury spec options available out there.  If there are literally no other options and Collins is available then, by all means, I fully encourage you to go grab him. Sincerely I do. But try not to think about why he is the last available option either.
Fair enough, but the point I was getting at is the reason that people are talking about him is because in some leagues, there aren't better options available.  Obviously, if Derrick Henry is on your WW, grab him over Collins, but what other options that presented themselves since the last WW run are out there at RB?  Cohen?  Chad Johnson (maybe, although the ARI running game looks bad).  Perine (looked bad on Sunday)?  Chris Thompson?  Carson (I doubt he'd be available).  That was my point.

With regards to the fumble, Harbaugh didn't sound concerned enough to dog-house Collins.

running back alex collins earns more himself more snaps

“I think he earned [more snaps],” Harbaugh said. “When you play well you earn more playing time.”

“He’ll have to hold onto that football, but I feel like it was over-exuberance trying to break that tackle,” Harbaugh said. “He has to understand the situation. We’re a north-south, high-and-tight type of an operation anyway. But he’s capable of making guys miss. He showed that.”

Fair enough, but the point I was getting at is the reason that people are talking about him is because in some leagues, there aren't better options available.  Obviously, if Derrick Henry is on your WW, grab him over Collins, but what other options that presented themselves since the last WW run are out there at RB?  Cohen?  Chad Johnson (maybe, although the ARI running game looks bad).  Perine (looked bad on Sunday)?  Chris Thompson?  Carson (I doubt he'd be available).  That was my point.
Well I wouldn't expect Henry to be available in many (most) leagues. But I do consider Chris Johnson and Perine more interesting than Collins because they already have injuries in front of them opening the door to opportunities.  After all this hobby is all about your players getting opportunities. Now West has a soft tissue injury of some sort which may open the door for Collins and makes him more interesting than other guys who may be available.  And Kelley's injury may not be as bad as originally feared so Perine may not be as interesting on Sunday as he is today. 

Two on my wire who I am monitoring closely are James Conner and Matt Breida (Hyde gets killed in the SP for lack of durability but Bell is just as injury prone and both Tomlin and Shanahan seem to prefer riding a primary back regardless of who that back is).  I am also watching the Oakland running game very closely. Sure it will be a full timeshare if Marshawn goes down but behind that offensive line and that offense in general I'll gladly take that time share over the one Collins will be in.

But, to be fair, Collins is now in that conversation.

Well I wouldn't expect Henry to be available in many (most) leagues. But I do consider Chris Johnson and Perine more interesting than Collins because they already have injuries in front of them opening the door to opportunities.  After all this hobby is all about your players getting opportunities. Now West has a soft tissue injury of some sort which may open the door for Collins and makes him more interesting than other guys who may be available.  And Kelley's injury may not be as bad as originally feared so Perine may not be as interesting on Sunday as he is today. 

Two on my wire who I am monitoring closely are James Conner and Matt Breida (Hyde gets killed in the SP for lack of durability but Bell is just as injury prone and both Tomlin and Shanahan seem to prefer riding a primary back regardless of who that back is).  I am also watching the Oakland running game very closely. Sure it will be a full timeshare if Marshawn goes down but behind that offensive line and that offense in general I'll gladly take that time share over the one Collins will be in.

Collins, Breida, and Conner are my favorite lottery tickets that are probably available.

Conner and Breida are on the WW?  Like you said, both RBs in front of them have a tendency to get hurt/dinged up.  It's surprising that they are on a WW. 

I like how this guy runs. Jumped off the screen during the condensed game replay I watched today. I was like, who the heck is that dude? Ohhh that razerback. If given opps he will take over.
Harbaugh seems to like this kid despite the fumble. 

How do you figure Harbaugh out?

West is still there. Allen is not a big grind-it runner though, maybe that is an area that Harbaugh wants to see better results.

How do you figure Harbaugh out?

West is still there. Allen is not a big grind-it runner though, maybe that is an area that Harbaugh wants to see better results.
I don't know the first question. West and Allen look so predestrian to me. I honestly would not be surprised if Collins continued to get an increased piece of the pie until eventually taking over. Worth a speculative grab to see how this shakes out while he is free. I agree with @mnmplayer dude looks good.

Edit: his nickname at Arkansas was beast mode Jr

Yes he was drafted by SEA. Fire up the bandwagon for next week?

How Terrance West's absence from practice could affect Ravens

Its an ultra early 6:30am PST game so we should know early if he has a coming out party. Might be the last week he's cheap, although JAG D could be tough (or they might be down by 30 at halftime and we witness a Collins feeding frenzy in the 2nd half).

ahartig said:
Im buying. Wasn't he drafted by the Seahawks? They seem to have a good eye for RB talent (cmike!!!! LOL)
Seattle has hit (to varying degrees) recently on the likes of Rawls, Carson, and Spencer Ware, so I think it is fair to say they have a shown a pretty good eye for talent at the RB position.  In limited, clock-killing action, Collins showed a lot of pop last week.

It was limited action for sure but this is the type of pickup to me that can win you a season.  Balt is going to be in so many low scoring games where are just grinding it out

Seattle has hit (to varying degrees) recently on the likes of Rawls, Carson, and Spencer Ware, so I think it is fair to say they have a shown a pretty good eye for talent at the RB position.  In limited, clock-killing action, Collins showed a lot of pop last week.
He popped right onto my roster.   :)   

I'm tempted to grab him I have to say. I already obtained Allen last week, and have a couple of players like Kamara and Rawls that I could drop him for. This Ravens team feels like a good team to invest in RB shares,if you can pick the correct pieces and having both Allen and Collins feels like having a good chance of it landing some paydirt 

I'm tempted to grab him I have to say. I already obtained Allen last week, and have a couple of players like Kamara and Rawls that I could drop him for. This Ravens team feels like a good team to invest in RB shares,if you can pick the correct pieces and having both Allen and Collins feels like having a good chance of it landing some paydirt 
IMO Kamara >>>>>>>>>>> Collins

Rawls healthy >>>>> Both of them. The key is healthy... 

IMO Kamara >>>>>>>>>>> Collins

Rawls healthy >>>>> Both of them. The key is healthy... 
Completely disagree. Not much upside to Kamara in standard (real leagues). To much talented competition. West and Buck Allen are very pedestrian running backs. Collins has a chance to carve out the 2 down/goal line role.

Users who are viewing this thread