What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Alex Collins, SEA (1 Viewer)

Thought they were counter plays.
See the play at the 1:30 mark of the clips.

The play is clearly a run to the right side and they are all blocking that way. It looks like an outside zone to the right. The LB 56 is unblocked on this play and meets Collins in the backfield just a tick after he gets the ball. 56 tries to tackle Collins high, but he does a spin move and gets out of the tackle then runs to the left away from his blocking.

I doubt any coach would have a problem with this play because of the early penetration by 56 and more space on the left side for Collins to run even though he doesn't have any blocking support there. The QB does get out in front to block one defender, and in some ways it seems like that is by design, or at least the QB does not hesitate at all getting out in front of him on the play.

The other one is at the 3:40 mark. The defense is stacked to the left on this play. The right guard and tackle both block to the left but 92 gets into the backfield untouched meeting Collins just after he gets the hand off. Collins runs this play to the right away from the penetrating defender and this does look a bit like a counter play but I think the blocking was meant for this run to go to the left side, the right tackle is the only blocker sealing off the back side. Collins makes the right decision to take this to the right for a pretty good run because the DE 91 rushes the QB and Collins is able to get in front of him. That was his job to stop the cut back which could have resulted in a tackle for loss but he messed it up and Collins takes advantage of that. I think the play was designed to run inside to the left though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think all the people in here trying to say that Collins is terrible and "look, the Seahawks cut him" don't get it and are simply saying it because they are all West owners.  The same goes for everyone saying that Collins got all his yards in garbage time.  (I don't hear anybody saying Devante Parker is terrible because all his yards were in garbage time...)

If somebody can't see that Collins is running better than West, than it's time to go to the eye doctor and get those eyes checked. 

The Cmike thread, good lord, I followed that thread for a bit.  I got my two buddies that are into FF to buy into Cmike also.  We would send each other text messages of how bad ### and utterly ripped Cmike was.  This was the most common pic sent:

http://rosterwatch.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Screen-Shot-2013-05-24-at-5.39.57-PM.png

Followed up by this one:

https://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/christine-michael-cop.jpg

Oh lord, too bad he never panned out.... :loco:

This thread is now "HOT"!!! CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

In the epic Christine Michael thread people would commonly argue that the reason he didn't get a fair shot was that he frequently went off script.
Yeah he would do that a lot. He has so much speed that he can get away with this perhaps more than other RB.

Just reviewing these plays for Collins again (upthread) I doubt any coach would have a problem with what Collins did on those two plays. He was being met in the backfield by defenders and was able to make something out of nothing on those plays.

More fuel to the fire..... I like the way this kid thinks.  Praise form HC & OC

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-ravens-running-back-alex-collins-surging-20170928-story.html

Alex Collins leads the Ravens in average yards per carry at 7.8 on just 16 attempts in one fewer game than starter Terrance West and backup Buck Allen. But the second-year running back isn’t surprised by his production.

Asked after Thursday afternoon’s practice if he anticipated playing as well as he has since being promoted from the practice squad on Sept. 16, Collins replied, “Anyone in my position would. That would be our intent coming in, and that just how I took it. Every practice is like a game day for me, the way that I prepare. So if I am going into the fire, I know what I’m doing and I’m capable and ready. So that’s just how I looked at it. And then the chips fell, and I got the opportunity, and I was ready for it.”

Collins, a 2016 fifth-round draft pick of the Seattle Seahawks who was signed by the Ravens to their practice squad on Sept. 5, has rushed for 124 yards and trails Allen and West by just 28 yards and four yards, respectively. West has two touchdowns on the ground while Allen and Collins are still searching for their first. That that has not stopped Collins from aiming to be the featured tailback.

Recap every game ever played in the bitter rivalry between the Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers.

“I feel like every person in every position should as well because you never know,” he said. “Anything could happen, and you always have to be ready. I prepare as if the next day, I could be the starter and it’s just a mindset thing. If I’m always prepared and I’m always ready, then I won’t miss a beat if the time actually comes forward.”

Coach John Harbaugh said what he appreciates most about Collins is, “the fact that he gets yards. He makes tacklers miss, he breaks tackles. I like guys that get yards on their own.”

Collins credited his powerful, physical running style to growing up with older brothers.

“That’s just how I’ve been taught,” he said. “Growing up, my older brothers were very aggressive and played the same position. So they really had a hand on it as well, just teaching me to be violent and relentless when I run because it helps breaking tackles and just finishing strong and always falling forward. Those are the things I’m always thinking about when I’m running the ball.”

For now, Collins is still third on the depth chart, but offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg praised Collins for working diligently under running backs coach Thomas Hammock.

“He’s got a little speed, he’s got a little quickness,” Mornhinweg said. “He’s a good football player, he’s got instincts, all those things. He’s a sharp kid. He puts the hard work in. He prepares well. With hard work and preparation, he can get this thing done pretty well.”

ldizzle said:
I can't believe people are recommending dropping Mack. This is a dynasty league people, not redraft. Mack doesn't need a Gore injury to be relevant next year. Plus Luck will be back next year making the offense decent.
Kind of funny that Marlon Mack is brought up here as I can see some similarities between him and Alex Collins. Mack may be a bit faster than Collins is I think.

One of the main things that troubles me about Mack is how often he goes off script of how the plays are being blocked and designed.

Just for context, I wen to the Chris Carson thread. Look at how all the Seattle RBs are talked about.... "AMAZING DEPTH" "STACKED AT RB!" Interesting how Collins is mentioned also, considering Chris Carson is the main reason Alex Collins isn't with Seattle.

I have West and am not impressed. I was thinking of dropping him for Collins but I just couldn't. Dropped Kelvin for him cuz Cam looks horrible. Completely speculative grab.  :loco:

Biabreakable said:
A. Collins Week 3 vs. JAC

Thanks to SSND for putting this together.
Thank you SSND!  Honestly he looked GREAT.  Really good agility, ability to make defenders miss, saw some decent power, ability to break tackles, nice spin move, keeps his feet churning, good vision.  

He looks far better than Terrance west has ever looked in his career.  I think we are on to something here. 

Another perspective on the whole garbage time / tired  / second stringer defense argument is that he's doing exactly what he's supposed to against these types of looks.

I guess it's pretty obvious to say it's not going to happen if he was struggling against them, but instead he's doing really well.

There's no way the coaches don't see what we see. I hope he gets a proper chance and shows out against Pitt.

I will try to say this as concisely as possible. I am regarded amongst my friends as having an encyclopaedic knowledge of a vast and wide range of sports. Having said that, despite having been a Lions fan since 1989, it's really only the last five years that I have tried to delve deeper into NFL and understand it at a greater level. I doubt I will ever know as much as the large amount of people on here that have been around football and played it since high school. You can't replicate the innate knowledge that gives someone. Likewise, and as a comparison,  I guarantee my understanding over 'soccer' will no doubt dwarf that of most people on here. 

Having said all that, sometimes I look at a few of the conversations that take place in this forum and just scratch my head. Last week in the Elliot thread, people endlessly arguing over the difference between 'bad character' and 'bad person'. I paraphrase slightly, but it was an utterly absurd conversation that held no value at all. 

I would suggest the same is true in this thread. Sometimes people seemed to get far too bogged down in semantics and pointless back and forth. It really doesn't matter what you estimate the quality of the Seahawks backfield as being at this point. Or how it was perceived by the Seahawks coaches at the time they released Collins. 

We all try to make educated and informed decisions based on whatever pertinent information is infront of us. In this case, it's whatever tape he has put to film for the Ravens, what qualities he has and how that meshes with their schemes, the performance of the other backs in their stable, and whatever tidbits we glean from their coaches. Nothing else matters or is relevant. 

Sometimes I think it takes a slightly less educated person to stand back and see the forrest for the trees, to be honest. 

Peoplw should be making their estimation on Collins over what he has done as a Raven, and nothing else, imo.

West and Allen have combined for 3.6 yards per carry this season. Collins is nearly producing that same amount after first contact (3.1 yards), which ranks third in the league.
Collins, 23, has done plenty of his damage late in games when the outcome had been determined. Still, it's difficult to overlook his big-play ability. He has broken five runs for 10 yards or longer, which trails only Kareem Hunt, Melvin Gordon, Jordan Howard, Dalvin Cook, Carlos Hyde and Todd Gurley.
For the love of god BAL give this dude 20+ touches a game you stupid bastards.

Edit: Why isn't bastards censored? Don't ban me.

I will try to say this as concisely as possible. I am regarded amongst my friends as having an encyclopaedic knowledge of a vast and wide range of sports. Having said that, despite having been a Lions fan since 1989, it's really only the last five years that I have tried to delve deeper into NFL and understand it at a greater level. I doubt I will ever know as much as the large amount of people on here that have been around football and played it since high school. You can't replicate the innate knowledge that gives someone. Likewise, and as a comparison,  I guarantee my understanding over 'soccer' will no doubt dwarf that of most people on here. 

Having said all that, sometimes I look at a few of the conversations that take place in this forum and just scratch my head. Last week in the Elliot thread, people endlessly arguing over the difference between 'bad character' and 'bad person'. I paraphrase slightly, but it was an utterly absurd conversation that held no value at all. 

I would suggest the same is true in this thread. Sometimes people seemed to get far too bogged down in semantics and pointless back and forth. It really doesn't matter what you estimate the quality of the Seahawks backfield as being at this point. Or how it was perceived by the Seahawks coaches at the time they released Collins. 

We all try to make educated and informed decisions based on whatever pertinent information is infront of us. In this case, it's whatever tape he has put to film for the Ravens, what qualities he has and how that meshes with their schemes, the performance of the other backs in their stable, and whatever tidbits we glean from their coaches. Nothing else matters or is relevant. 

Sometimes I think it takes a slightly less educated person to stand back and see the forrest for the trees, to be honest. 

Peoplw should be making their estimation on Collins over what he has done as a Raven, and nothing else, imo.
Well said.  Antonio brown I believe was a 6th rd pick in the draft.  That means that 32 teams passed at least FIVE times on one of the best wide receivers to ever play the game at the draft.  

Arian foster went undrafted.  

Danny woodhead didn't make the jets and ended up beating their asses for a few years as a patriot.

Wes welker was not valued by the dolphins and went on to be an amazing wr on the pats and the broncos.  

I can go on and on.  Many teams misjudge talent.  That's what I think when someone says "well so and so team didn't think much of him and released him so he can't be that good."  

This kid was fantastic in college.  He's only 23.  And he's getting an opportunity now and making the most of it.  Where it goes from here who knows.  But I'm intrigued enough that I bought in in redraft and my dyno league.  

I disagree with everything you said except for your knowledge about soccer.

There is only so much information available about Alex Collins, so the discussion of who he is as a college prospect and how he compares to other RB on the Seahawks is relevant as far as trying to determine his level of talent and how he might fair in competition with other RB on the Ravens roster.

It is only natural to ask why the Seahawks did not keep him. To kick the tires and look for reasons for that.

Comparing this to people talking about Elliot is apples to tricycles.

I think all the people in here trying to say that Collins is terrible and "look, the Seahawks cut him" don't get it and are simply saying it because they are all West owners.  The same goes for everyone saying that Collins got all his yards in garbage time.  (I don't hear anybody saying Devante Parker is terrible because all his yards were in garbage time...)

If somebody can't see that Collins is running better than West, than it's time to go to the eye doctor and get those eyes checked. 
i haven't read every post but AFAICT no people are saying that.

Soon. Very soon.
It's crazy how he's owned in essentially 0% of redraft leagues but is the most talented back on his respective team with a very clear path to opportunity. I remember when I added him in one of my leagues two weeks ago that I was hoping my add would nudge him up for 0% to 1%. I thought he might have been on the fringe, at like .9% or something.

At the end of the day, as much as I do like Collins, the biggest thing he has going for him is how weak his competition is. The only backfields who I think contain less talent than BAL at the moment are NYG, NYJ, ARI and IND (while Mack is hurt).

There is only so much information available about Alex Collins, so the discussion of who he is as a college prospect and how he compares to other RB on the Seahawks is relevant as far as trying to determine his level of talent and how he might fair in competition with other RB on the Ravens roster.

It is only natural to ask why the Seahawks did not keep him. To kick the tires and look for reasons for that.

To be perfectly honest I was blind drunk when I wrote this last night. Woke up on the couch at 5am UK time with the game just ending and a massive headache. 

I would maintain there are strands of what I was saying that I would still fully agree with, but the post seems like a bit of an embarrassing tirade of some description 

To be perfectly honest I was blind drunk when I wrote this last night. Woke up on the couch at 5am UK time with the game just ending and a massive headache. 

I would maintain there are strands of what I was saying that I would still fully agree with, but the post seems like a bit of an embarrassing tirade of some description 
No worries, we've all been there.

I like a person that fesses up.  good post.  everything is good.

It's crazy how he's owned in essentially 0% of redraft leagues but is the most talented back on his respective team with a very clear path to opportunity. I remember when I added him in one of my leagues two weeks ago that I was hoping my add would nudge him up for 0% to 1%. I thought he might have been on the fringe, at like .9% or something.

At the end of the day, as much as I do like Collins, the biggest thing he has going for him is how weak his competition is. The only backfields who I think contain less talent than BAL at the moment are NYG, NYJ, ARI and IND (while Mack is hurt).
:goodposting:  

I like Collins, so this comment is not about him... but

Garbage time production by an RB on a losing team is significantly different than garbage time production by a WR.  Unlike regular game situations, the RB on a losing team in garbage time faces a soft defense whereas WR do not.  If there are only minutes left and you have a big lead, Defenses are keying on the pass/deep play.  They are fine trading a 5-10 yard gain on the ground in exchange for the time off the clock. 

Garbage time production by an RB on a losing team is significantly different than garbage time production by a WR.  Unlike regular game situations, the RB on a losing team in garbage time faces a soft defense whereas WR do not.  If there are only minutes left and you have a big lead, Defenses are keying on the pass/deep play.  They are fine trading a 5-10 yard gain on the ground in exchange for the time off the clock. 
In week 2 Collins was getting run in a 10 point game in the bottom of the third. Not all of his touches have been garbage time.

In week 2 Collins was getting run in a 10 point game in the bottom of the third. Not all of his touches have been garbage time.
Please note the first line of my post.  I was NOT talking about Collins... just making a comment that garbage time production for RBs on a losing team is less indicative of capability than garbage time for WR.  The person I was responding to was complaining that folks were downgrading some of Collins' performance because it occurred during garbage time but they were not downgrading Davante parker's.

SameSongNDance said:
I saw the same thing as you ... felt like he was well under the radar and as much as I like Collins got too cute in my main keeper league I been in since 2003 and a rival scooped him up. I felt like I could play one more def matchup last week and pick him up for free this week and he got scooped on me. I can't trust those percentages for my league anymore. I still got him in my other leagues but don't care as much.

Morale of the story, I should have grabbed him as nothing else on the wire comes close to his potential imo.

Please note the first line of my post.  I was NOT talking about Collins... just making a comment that garbage time production for RBs on a losing team is less indicative of capability than garbage time for WR.  The person I was responding to was complaining that folks were downgrading some of Collins' performance because it occurred during garbage time but they were not downgrading Davante parker's.
I saw it. But you are in a Collins thread talking about garbage time rushing.

Garbage time is just as easy on WRs.  Defenses play prevent.  They play soft.   The definition of garbage time is when the game is so out of hand and there isn't enough time left for the losing team to even have a remote chance of winning.  

That's why in garbage time qbs and WRs that weren't able to do much all game all of the sudden are able to pad their stats.  

More good vibes going Collins way, this from the Balt main webpage.  Jesus, do I dare start him over Maclin at flex?

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Once-a-Beastly-Lacrosse-Player-Alex-Collins-Is-Emerging-in-Ravens-Backfield/a8e68a00-69b3-4d05-af59-866c7538aef7
You beat me to it by a few seconds!  Lol 

im actually wondering if he is flex worthy this week too.  I have a hodgepodge of middling talent to choose from until Doug martin comes back. 

Its bw collins, Marvin jones (Xavier Rhodes?), jamaal charles, kamara, foreman, Paul Richardson, and doctson 

Classic overthinking it.

Simply watch how he has played with the Ravens.....easy decision to add this kid to your roster and take a chance. He could have been cut for a number of reasons, numbers game, was not having an impact with their system, was not picking up their system, maybe he was simply caught in the numbers game and politcs of football that can cause guys to get cut....but catch on with another team and have a decent career.

There are hundreds of players that are cut and catch on with other teams and make a career of it. It happens every year. 

We are amateur GM's here playing fantasy football. I have been playing this game since 1988.

You know what I use as My number 1,2,3,4 and 5 in analyzing a player?

Simply watching him play.

His playing time/results thus far on the Ravens, screams.....talented enough to play in the NFL and talented enough to become the Ravens #1 back in a few more weeks. The situation for him in Baltimore is far better than it was in Seattle. Regardless of what anyone may think about Seattle's backfield.....they have a guy who had an outstanding camp in Carson, a guy who did some real damage for them in the past in Rawls, a former front line RB in Eddie Lacy (he did have two excellent years with the Packers) and a 3rd down athletic freak in Prosise who showed last season he can ball.

IMO it was a numbers game. Collins was cut. Ravens snagged him. Lost Woodhead to a hammy, have West who flat out stinks and Allen who is a 3rd down back at best IMO. 

This will be Collins show soon if he keeps doing this. No doubt in my mind about it. The film does not lie.

You beat me to it by a few seconds!  Lol 

im actually wondering if he is flex worthy this week too.  I have a hodgepodge of middling talent to choose from until Doug martin comes back. 

Its bw collins, Marvin jones (Xavier Rhodes?), jamaal charles, kamara, foreman, Paul Richardson, and doctson 
Ugh, major dart throw there.  I'm starting Kamara as my RB2! and waiting anxiously for doug martin to come back as well

This is not totally correct.  While defenses may be defending the deep play, they ARE NOT guarding against underneath passes.

Parker caught 7 passes last week.  All 7 came with his team down by 20 points & less than 8 minutes left in the game.  Only 1 of those passes was more than 14 yards, & over half of them were less than 10 yard gains.  He was getting short receptions because the defense was letting him have them.

How is that garbage time production any different than a RB getting 5-10 yard rushes because the defense is playing deep?  Answer-it isn't.

This is not totally correct.  While defenses may be defending the deep play, they ARE NOT guarding against underneath passes.

Parker caught 7 passes last week.  All 7 came with his team down by 20 points & less than 8 minutes left in the game.  Only 1 of those passes was more than 14 yards, & over half of them were less than 10 yard gains.  He was getting short receptions because the defense was letting him have them.

How is that garbage time production any different than a RB getting 5-10 yard rushes because the defense is playing deep?  Answer-it isn't.
They also weren't playing deep when he had his TD run.

They also weren't playing deep when he had his TD run.
The Packers weren't playing deep when Jordan Howard had a 3-yard TD run to bring the Bears to within 3 TDs at the end of the 4th quarter yesterday, either.  Garbage time is garbage time.  WRs benefit from it just as much as RBs (probably more, b/c it's rare for an NFL team to decide "we are going to lose, but we aren't even going to try to win-let's just go run the ball and eat clock).

The Packers weren't playing deep when Jordan Howard had a 3-yard TD run to bring the Bears to within 3 TDs at the end of the 4th quarter yesterday, either.  Garbage time is garbage time.  WRs benefit from it just as much as RBs (probably more, b/c it's rare for an NFL team to decide "we are going to lose, but we aren't even going to try to win-let's just go run the ball and eat clock).
The 'garbage time rushing yards' for the loser stat is pretty rare.

I just like how Collins runs. It may have been posted but I also like stat that he is one of 3 SEC backs to get 1000 yards each of his first 3 season, alongside Herschel Walker & Darren McFadden. He killed the Tigers from what I remember. - It's also funny how there is this kind of Carson/Collins split or race to emerge. Carson is obviously in the superior position, but IMO Collins has looked better as a runner. Of course it's harder being 'the guy' in a close game and where the D is just waiting. I hope Collins gets there he's a fun back to watch.

Classic overthinking it.

Simply watch how he has played with the Ravens.....easy decision to add this kid to your roster and take a chance. He could have been cut for a number of reasons, numbers game, was not having an impact with their system, was not picking up their system, maybe he was simply caught in the numbers game and politcs of football that can cause guys to get cut....but catch on with another team and have a decent career.

There are hundreds of players that are cut and catch on with other teams and make a career of it. It happens every year. 

We are amateur GM's here playing fantasy football. I have been playing this game since 1988.

His playing time/results thus far on the Ravens, screams.....talented enough to play in the NFL and talented enough to become the Ravens #1 back in a few more weeks. The situation for him in Baltimore is far better than it was in Seattle. Regardless of what anyone may think about Seattle's backfield.....they have a guy who had an outstanding camp in Carson, a guy who did some real damage for them in the past in Rawls, a former front line RB in Eddie Lacy (he did have two excellent years with the Packers) and a 3rd down athletic freak in Prosise who showed last season he can ball.

IMO it was a numbers game. Collins was cut. Ravens snagged him. Lost Woodhead to a hammy, have West who flat out stinks and Allen who is a 3rd down back at best IMO. 

This will be Collins show soon if he keeps doing this. No doubt in my mind about it. The film does not lie.
I disagree with this too.

While watching the player is certainly an important part of evaluating a player, it is 12 plays at the NFL level we are talking about here and hardly enough to draw any strong conclusions about. I have watched him at the college level as well and those observations are being considered still here because 12 plays is not enough.

I would describe what you are saying as oversimplification of player evaluation when there is other information to consider in ones attempt to fill those gaps, Its necessary until the player has at least a few different games at the pro level to evaluate. Collins does not have that yet, so I lean heavily on the evaluation of him at the college level until he does.

For that purpose here are the cut ups from DB

Looks like they added 2 more games of him since I watched him almost two years ago..

:thumbup:

Agree.   I refer to this as the Andre Johnson evaluation.     If the guy looks like he'll be a beast, and has even an inkling of an opportunity,  he's worth a stash.    Eventually he'll shine. 

Collins fits this to a tee.  Current stats say he's a zero.  Watching him on film he looks like an early version of Ricky Williams or Marshawn.

Users who are viewing this thread