What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jordan Howard , NO (1 Viewer)

I never really bought into the whole narrative about Howard being a liability in the passing game.

He's good enough and he is, by far, the best back on the team this year.
His catch percentage was pretty good IIRC but for whatever reason it sure seemed like he dropped key balls, including easy ones while watching him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this too however I dont think Jordan Howard fits that scheme. Since they tried to trade him I'm not sure they disagree with me
I wouldn't know why, though. He's closer to Hunt than is Cohen, and has way better vision in the ZBS. Cohen makes a better 2016 Tyreek Hill than a regular running back.

I wouldn't know why, though. He's closer to Hunt than is Cohen, and has way better vision in the ZBS. Cohen makes a better 2016 Tyreek Hill than a regular running back.
I agree. I dont think Cohen was their plan. I'm guessing they wanted to draft someone. 

Howard just seems like a square peg in a round hole this year. but maybe they will go Apollo 13 and make it work. 

I agree. I dont think Cohen was their plan. I'm guessing they wanted to draft someone. 

Howard just seems like a square peg in a round hole this year. but maybe they will go Apollo 13 and make it work. 
He is going to eat this year out of the shotgun. This article explains it better than I could. I've never been a Jordan Howard fan but this year he's a nice value IMO. 

For those that don't want to read: The Bears are going to a lot of shotgun spread formation and Jordan Howard has been most successful when running out the shotgun in his NFL career.

He is going to eat this year out of the shotgun. This article explains it better than I could. I've never been a Jordan Howard fan but this year he's a nice value IMO. 

For those that don't want to read: The Bears are going to a lot of shotgun spread formation and Jordan Howard has been most successful when running out the shotgun in his NFL career.
yes hes been exceptional out of the shotgun. the downside is the sample size is so much less than non shotgun. but I agree, I think hes one of those guys who comes at a good value. I find it hard to believe a young runner with his resume is going so cheap. I sold, probably for cheap, but it was the highest I could 

Howard is a good RB in an improving O.  He should be a really nice value this year. 

Howard is a good RB in an improving O.  He should be a really nice value this year. 
I agree and especially in standard. PPR and 1/2 PPR has gotten so much more common that I think it is infuencing a lot of rankers and talking heads' views for standard. I have occasionally seen Howard getting into the 3rd round in standard which is outstanding imo. 

I think Howard is a borderline RB1, both for the year and dynasty.

If it's a start-1 QB league and you have ~12 owners, Stafford is basically worthless.  You're getting the fat end of this offer by quite a lot.
complete no-brainer (and I'm much higher on Stafford than most).

I think this too however I dont think Jordan Howard fits that scheme. Since they tried to trade him I'm not sure they disagree with me
I'd like to know where you heard they tried to trade him. I've not read that article aside from rumors. Howard will be a beast this year, just like he has been the last two seasons.  PPR he's not going to be top tier but in standard leagues he's low RB1 without a doubt.  

I'd like to know where you heard they tried to trade him. I've not read that article aside from rumors. Howard will be a beast this year, just like he has been the last two seasons.  PPR he's not going to be top tier but in standard leagues he's low RB1 without a doubt.  
He is a RB1 in both PPR and standard.  He has been the last two years in the league and if Nagy coming to town is supposed to help the offense he will only get more TDs and yards.

He is a RB1 in both PPR and standard.  He has been the last two years in the league and if Nagy coming to town is supposed to help the offense he will only get more TDs and yards.
I'm definitely high on Howard and the Bears in general this year, so I hope you're right.  I'm a little out of touch with PPR since I don't have any PPR leagues. Nagy will improve the entire offense. I'm picking up Trubisky, too, hoping he's all upside moving forward.

I'd like to know where you heard they tried to trade him. I've not read that article aside from rumors. 
I don't believe it's common place to find an article about a team trying to trade a player and failing to do so. That's bad PR, which is why it doesn't happen. It's a lot like the stock market... if you're reading about it in an article it's likely too late to make a move. FF is all about rumors. I made several trades this preseason in my dynasty league on rumors, specifically before training camp started and those rumors became fact. 

If you don't want to believe it was happening, that's fine, but it was specific to the Bears were in talks with Miami about Howard prior to the draft. 

Also Jordan Howard deleted all of his Bears pictures on instagram (which he now has pictures back on- the only thing that changed between him deleting his pictures and putting pictures back up was that he was not traded and the trade rumors were done). So read into that all you want, or put your owner blinders on and keep looking forward. 

At the end of the day Howard should be a pretty good low end RB1 this year in any format. I'm just not sure what his future holds. He's under contract one more year and if he truly doesn't fit the scheme this year he could be traded this offseason considering his cheap contract. 

I'm definitely high on Howard and the Bears in general this year, so I hope you're right.  I'm a little out of touch with PPR since I don't have any PPR leagues. Nagy will improve the entire offense. I'm picking up Trubisky, too, hoping he's all upside moving forward.
howard finished number 10 in 2016 in PPR and number 11 in 2017.

Bears coach Matt Nagy said Jordan Howard will stay on the field for third down.

"We’ll do different things with [Howard] and we’ll keep him on the field on third down — I’ve told you that before," Nagy emphasized. Nagy stated last month that he believes Howard "can play all three downs" and this statement reaffirms that belief wasn't just coach speak. Though he's disappointed in the passing game with 14 drops over the last two seasons, Howard appears to have the full confidence of his coaching staff heading into the season. Nagy will find ways to involve second-year pro Tarik Cohen, but Howard should be considered a safe RB2 with an RB1 ceiling moving forward.

Source: Chicago Tribune 

Aug 24 - 9:40 AM

This guy is the reason I'm still ok taking an elite WR like Hopkins or OBJ toward the back half of the first.  Even if the likes of Fournette and Gordon don't make it back to round 2, Howard is a hell of  consolation prize.

To me that one is not close...Howard all day.

Granted, I'm not the biggest believe in CMC.
They are like the opposite side of 2 coins: CMc is the great pass catcher but needs to improve as a runner, Howard is a great runner but needs to improve as a pass catcher. At it's face, Howard is better because he's more likely to get TDs. However, CMc is more gamescript proof. If the Bears get down, Howard might not see the field much. 

They are like the opposite side of 2 coins: CMc is the great pass catcher but needs to improve as a runner, Howard is a great runner but needs to improve as a pass catcher. At it's face, Howard is better because he's more likely to get TDs. However, CMc is more gamescript proof. If the Bears get down, Howard might not see the field much. 
Point taken but I would remind you of two facts

1.  The Carolina O-line is in shambles

2. Cam is going to steal at least a few goal line carries, maybe more than a few.  CJ Anderson is also still alive and breathing.

To each their own but I'm passing on CMC this year, especially in light of the public recently bumping him even higher.  I saw him go in the first round in a mock last night which to me....is just ludicrous.  

I like Howard a lot. I'm concerned though that the Bears may get off to a slow start with the new coaching staff, players etc. I think they will eventually get it going for sure. 

Point taken but I would remind you of two facts

1.  The Carolina O-line is in shambles

2. Cam is going to steal at least a few goal line carries, maybe more than a few.

To each their own but I'm passing on CMC this year, especially in light of the public recently bumping him even higher.  I saw him go in the first round in a mock last night which to me....is just ludicrous.  
Yep, those are big issues. Like I said Howard is going to probably get double the rushing TDs as CMc. Carolina line is looking bad but because CMc catches passes, he can over come that. I am looking at one of the guys around mid-late 2nd. I think I still have Howard higher. 

Yep, those are big issues. Like I said Howard is going to probably get double the rushing TDs as CMc. Carolina line is looking bad but because CMc catches passes, he can over come that. I am looking at one of the guys around mid-late 2nd. I think I still have Howard higher. 
I get the logic but if we're honest the only reason CMC's value has risen in the last week or two is because of that 40+ yard scamper he had against the Dolphins last week.  That then led to an extrapolation by the public that CMC's rushing was automatically going to be a lot better than last year.  

I've been doing this long enough to spot the banana in the tailpipe.  It's true he has the reception to fall back on but at that point what are you drafting?  An RB who catches passes but isn't guaranteed goal line work and has a crappy O-line.  That theme can be found with other RB's taken later.

Follow your gut but I'm fading CMC....hard.

I get the logic but if we're honest the only reason CMC's value has risen in the last week or two is because of that 40+ yard scamper he had against the Dolphins last week.  That then led to an extrapolation by the public that CMC's rushing was automatically going to be a lot better than last year.  

I've been doing this long enough to spot the banana in the tailpipe.  It's true he has the reception to fall back on but at that point what are you drafting?  An RB who catches passes but isn't guaranteed goal line work and has a crappy O-line.  That theme can be found with other RB's taken later.

I think the run wasn't the only reason. It was also his snap share in that game and the fact that CJ appears to be nowhere near getting reps with the starters. Wasn't he playing in the 4th quarter? 

I think the run wasn't the only reason. It was also his snap share in that game and the fact that CJ appears to be nowhere near getting reps with the starters. Wasn't he playing in the 4th quarter? 
You're right.  However you also have been playing this long enough to know those long runs in the preseason are an automatic bump to the public.  

I have no doubt he'll be on the field a ton.  I also have no doubt Cam will be on the field just as much.  Lastly I have no doubt that O-line can't be magically fixed at this point.

If you tell me he was going back of the 2nd or early 3rd....then I'd listen.  However I just can't make an argument to take him over someone like Howard or even the receivers going in the early 2nd round.

I don't think that's the only reason at all.  The other reason is the HEAVY coachspeak that they are going to give CMC lots and lots of touches.  This wasn't just your basic "we want him to have the ball" but non-stop daily mentions of getting him heavily involved. 

Apparently the work that Jordan Howard did in the preseason on his pass catching skills has paid off:

Jordan Howard - RB -  Bears

Jordan Howard had 15 carries for 82 yards and cauught five passes for 25 yards in Week 1 against the Packers.

Howard was the focal point on offense, out touching Tarik Cohen (five carries, three catches) by a wide margin. He put Chicago in position to win late, but their defense couldn't hold on. Howard had a larger third-down role than last year, but still ceded pass game snaps to Cohen. He'll remain a high-floor RB2 for Week 2 against Seattle.

Sep 9 - 11:56 P

Bears coach Matt Nagy said Jordan Howard needs "probably a few more carries."

When speaking about Howard's limited fourth quarter workload -- he received just two carries and one target in Monday's fourth quarter -- Nagy said, "I think probably a few more carries is probably the answer to that." The coach also mentioned that the Bears need to be playing with a lead for Howard to get the "typical 8-10 fourth quarter carries." Howard is already averaging 19 touches per game, but a few more carries would certainly help his fantasy value.

Source: Chicago Sun Times 

Sep 18 - 6:19 PM

Jordan Howard rushed 11 times for 25 yards in the Bears' Week 4 victory over the Bucs.

Chicago led 38-3 at the half, which would usually make for terrific game script for Howard to go out and ice the rest of the game. But it was Tarik Cohen who stayed involved from kick-off to the final whistle, leading the Bears in both targets and carries. Howard failed to haul in his only target Sunday, too. The argument to start Howard has been strictly usage-based to this point as he has yet to eclipse the 100-yard mark despite averaging 16 carries per game. If Cohen continues cutting into his playing time, it will be time for owners to rethink their position on him. This timeshare will be worth monitoring when the Bears return from their bye in Week 6.

Sep 30 - 6:32 PM

This was Nagy’s dream of what he’d like the offense to look like. But it will never look like this again and whether he likes it or not he’s going to have to figure out how to use Howard effectively. 

Users who are viewing this thread