What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Josh Gordon - August 1, 2016 (1 Viewer)

Soulfly3

Footballguy
Out with the old, in with the new.

Tired of the negativity in that there 2015 thread... We're welcoming back a new an improved Josh Gordon to the NFL.

Reinstatement a mere formality at this point... All documents are in with the league, and we are ready to roll.

Many uncertainties with his situation:

Still with the Browns?

Who is the QB (Goff)?

Who does he get traded to?

Would like to see some early prognostication in here, regardless of external circumstance... As Ive stated many times, Gordon has proven to be QB proof, so his numbers shouldn't fluctuate too greatly from his explosion year. Full offseason coming up as well, which he didnt have in his partial season... He was stuck frozen out for 10 weeks.

So let's have some fun, boys.

Last edited by a moderator:
11-1200 yds, 7-8 TDs. Solid fantasy WR2, but somewhat streaky, a la Watkins or Bryant.

Plays in Cleveland. QB carousel. Stays clean all year.

There's one completely off-the-cuff guess. Curious to see what the spread will be on people's guesses here.

I would imagine the most likely scenario is he is reinstated and stays with the Browns. Whether they draft a QB or not, they will not have a very good QB for 2016. If Mccown were to start again that would probably be the best case scenario, though he will inevitably he injured and likely not even play half the year.

I also predict early season struggles drops and consistency. Missing almost two full years, new offense, rusty...................

65 grabs, 1,000 yards, 6 TDs

Also tremendous upside for much better numbers, also tremendous downside for crappy numbers and/or suspension.

I know in the one FFPC dynasty league I own him he has barely any trade value right now. Maybe very late 1st/early 2nd.

Josh Gordon is going to come in and blow the lid off the damn thing. I dont care about the layoff. He wasnt sitting in prison like a certain dog fighter we all know. He is not a rookie either. Focused, in shape, and guided by a solid offensive mind, Gordon will finish with 85+ receptions, 1400+ yards, and 7+ tds. Take it to the bank. The only ones talking about suspensions will be the haters and they will be talking about it til he is out of the league. Maybe even after.

Josh Gordon is going to come in and blow the lid off the damn thing. I dont care about the layoff. He wasnt sitting in prison like a certain dog fighter we all know. He is not a rookie either. Focused, in shape, and guided by a solid offensive mind, Gordon will finish with 85+ receptions, 1400+ yards, and 7+ tds. Take it to the bank. The only ones talking about suspensions will be the haters and they will be talking about it til he is out of the league. Maybe even after.
I can see that as his upside, sure, but it's hard not to think the layoff, new offense, and playing with a QB he has never played with before might have SOME negative impact on his numbers.

Any fans of the early MFL10s have a feel for when you will be targeting him? I plan on doing a couple once they open up next month and see the early fourth as about where I would feel comfortable at this time. I would imagine people will be diving in around the 2/3 turn by August if he stays out of trouble and he has a solid preseason.

Even if they draft Goff or another quarterback in the first 2 rounds, I can see McCown starting under center until he gets hurt or loses the job. With the emergence of Barnidge and Benjamin it should open things up for Gordon in a new better offensive system. And with 2 backs that can both run and catch the quarterback should do better this season regardless of who it is.

Gordon will come in with a huge CHIP on his shoulder. He will blow up no matter who the QB is. All you haters can take that to the bank. You can BOLIEVE that!?

I think "QB proof" is hyperbole. I think Arodin's assessment from post #2 is right on: "Solid fantasy WR2, but somewhat streaky, a la Watkins or Bryant." I think depending on the league he might be either severely underdrafted or overdrafted in redraft leagues, more likely over He'll likely be a huge value in DFS leagues for the first few weeks, perhaps criminally so.

Posting pics of him playing w the Browns, hanging w ODBJr and shirtless, showing off his physical shape.

He's coming back.

Any fans of the early MFL10s have a feel for when you will be targeting him? I plan on doing a couple once they open up next month and see the early fourth as about where I would feel comfortable at this time. I would imagine people will be diving in around the 2/3 turn by August if he stays out of trouble and he has a solid preseason.
This is what I've been pondering! I love the kid! Helped me win big a few years ago (and then sunk me two years but whatever...).

Early MFLs will be interesting with him, Nelson, Benjamin and Charles. Land a few of those a little later and if they return to form--$$$!

This is what I've been pondering! I love the kid! Helped me win big a few years ago (and then sunk me two years but whatever...).

Early MFLs will be interesting with him, Nelson, Benjamin and Charles. Land a few of those a little later and if they return to form--$$$!
I really don't know what to think of Charles. Such a huge range of potential outcomes, from not returning to form, being KC going to a committee, or a return to top 3 status.

I think I will be owning a lot of early Jordy shares. Green Bay missed him and he should return to being Rodger's top target. I'd guess he will be an early 3rd guy until he is back on the field, which seems like a steal.

My guess is Gordan will be all over the place in early drafts...some 2nd round selections and some as late as the 5th?

Are these true statements?

• Has been suspended 28 games out of a possible 64 games in his career.
  • Has average 0, 50 and 60 yards in three of his four seasons.
  • There are legitimate reasons to temper expectations.

Deamon said:
He's going to Philly.
Care to elaborate on that thought? In curious what about the situation makes you think that.
Was a pipe dream.

I do think it's a POSSIBILITY though. Think Cleve may just look to move on from him and could see Pederson taking a shot at a guy that can bring some excitement to his non exciting offense. Never know.

I honestly can't shake the feeling he ends up in NE.

Brady is Brady... But the guy needs and deserves a real weapon outside, and Gordon will be a STEAL for his talent.. They'll be able to give him some incentive laden contract....

Plus, they need to plan for Garops... He isnt Brady and will need legit WRs to throw at...

Deamon said:
He's going to Philly.
Care to elaborate on that thought? In curious what about the situation makes you think that.
Was a pipe dream.

I do think it's a POSSIBILITY though. Think Cleve may just look to move on from him and could see Pederson taking a shot at a guy that can bring some excitement to his non exciting offense. Never know.
All new coaches and player personnel people. Pretty sure they give him a shot (barring a very nice trade of course, but thats very unlikely).

I honestly can't shake the feeling he ends up in NE.

Brady is Brady... But the guy needs and deserves a real weapon outside, and Gordon will be a STEAL for his talent.. They'll be able to give him some incentive laden contract....

Plus, they need to plan for Garops... He isnt Brady and will need legit WRs to throw at...
Think Garops is a few years out though, no? If Gordon goes there and blows up, I see him as the kind of guy who will chase the money as a FA and sign elsewhere. Don't think the Pats would become the highest bidder for him and sign him long term when Garops takes over.

It makes sense to pick NE as landing spots for these big named WR's but I think Moss was the exception with them

jumper said:
I think "QB proof" is hyperbole. I think Arodin's assessment from post #2 is right on: "Solid fantasy WR2, but somewhat streaky, a la Watkins or Bryant." I think depending on the league he might be either severely underdrafted or overdrafted in redraft leagues, more likely over He'll likely be a huge value in DFS leagues for the first few weeks, perhaps criminally so.
Dez Bryant and Calvin Johnson and Antonio brown all showed this past season that they were not "quarterback proof" so my question would be "what skill does josh Gordon have that none of these three do?"

jumper said:
Dez Bryant and Calvin Johnson and Antonio brown all showed this past season that they were not "quarterback proof" so my question would be "what skill does josh Gordon have that none of these three do?"
His skill is the proven ability to put up huge numbers with Campbell, Hoyer, and Weeden throwing to him.

jumper said:
I agree with Brown, but was Dez even fully healthy all year? I am not sure Calvin is even part of this equation, his decline was more his age. Stafford actually got better as the season went on,

jumper said:
His skill is the proven ability to put up huge numbers with Campbell, Hoyer, and Weeden throwing to him.
Lots of guys look amazing and leave noting they are the greatest thing since sliced bread but often don't sustain. Looking at a guy like Robinson from Jax or Beckham the previous year, we see guys do what Gordon did...and he did impress. But we have to acknowledge that guys like brown and Dez and Calvin are remarkable talents in and of themselves and even they can't just will a poor qb to make them consistently fantasy viable.

What we saw with Gordon when he was on that hot streak looked more like that one year when Dwayne Bowe seemed unstoppable...and then was normal again.

Guess I'm just saying that there are some pretty dangled good wide receivers out there that have shown that the qb is very important for them to be world beaters. I'd place my bet more on the side of him being better than most but not elite regardless of who is qb or what the Browns do as a team.

Calvin plus Caldwell makes Calvin not QB proof anymore. Calvin was QB proof as they come. Jon Kitna, J.T. O'Sullivan, Culpepper, Orlovsky, Stanton. Roddy White was another one. Vick, Schaub, Harrington, Redman, Leftwich, Ryan.

Gordon definitely has the skillset to be QB proof but I don't like long layoffs, especially in young players. I would be leaning 1100 and 7 coming back healthy.

I think a lot of people who are down on Gordon never really saw much game tape from his break-out season. This guy isn't a "top ten" type of talent. He's like a top 1 or 2 type of talent.

If he's healthy, in shape (which it looks like he is), and most importantly if he stays clean and plays for 16 games, he could end up as the top WR statistically when the season ends. Does the pick come with risk? Of course. But he's an extraordinary talent.

Lots of guys look amazing and leave noting they are the greatest thing since sliced bread but often don't sustain. Looking at a guy like Robinson from Jax or Beckham the previous year, we see guys do what Gordon did...and he did impress. But we have to acknowledge that guys like brown and Dez and Calvin are remarkable talents in and of themselves and even they can't just will a poor qb to make them consistently fantasy viable.

What we saw with Gordon when he was on that hot streak looked more like that one year when Dwayne Bowe seemed unstoppable...and then was normal again.

Guess I'm just saying that there are some pretty dangled good wide receivers out there that have shown that the qb is very important for them to be world beaters. I'd place my bet more on the side of him being better than most but not elite regardless of who is qb or what the Browns do as a team.
:no:

I agree that one season doesn't make a career, but that's a horrible comparison.

Dwayne Bowe never really had a GREAT season. He just caught 15 touchdowns one year. 72 receptions for 1162 yards is not exceptional stuff.

Josh Gordon had 87 receptions for 1,646 yards....in 14 games.

I'll edit my post as it's a big ambiguous. I'm not implying he should be chosen first at the position, I'm saying he will be in contention for the top spot in end-of-season stats. Obviously I don't think anyone would pick him as first WR overall.

I like him with Hue in charge, great re-draft pick next year. Slotting somewhere around 15-20 for WR
If I have a fantasy draft in the last week of pre-season and Gordon is healthy and 100%, I'd be ecstatic to get him at the 15-20 spot. I suspect his value will be much higher than that, however.

If his head is right, he's in the lower level of top level WRs. I imagine that Brown, ODB, Hopkins, Green and Jones are the top dogs.......but he slides right in there with Bryant, Alshon, Demaryious and Megatron (if not retired) with him trending upwards....while they're trending down.

I'll be pushing for our league to draft earlier this year.....as I'd want to get him before the pre-season starts.

The guy sits out for the better part of 2 years and anyone that even suggests to temper expectations is a hater? Typical Gordon fans back at it again. I guess that should be expected, you guys have had to hold it in for a long time...

He obviously has elite #1 overall WR upside, but just because someone doesn't cream their pants over a WR that's played 5 games in 2 seasons and hasn't been on an NFL field in over a year, it doesn't make them a hater.

Users who are viewing this thread