What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Josh Gordon - August 1, 2016 (1 Viewer)

Incoming......

giphy.gif

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi expects the Browns to keep Josh Gordon once he's reinstated from his yearlong suspension.
Gordon's reinstatement announcement could come at any moment after he applied for it last month. By all accounts, Gordon has kept himself out of trouble in his time away. Gordon tweeted Sunday, "A fresh start," and bored fans went to see his "likes" on Twitter and flipped out after Gordon liked a number of tweets from people suggesting he join the Giants. The Browns own Gordon's contractual rights, and it's been suggested new coach Hue Jackson may be the man just to get the most out of the soon-to-be 25-year-old receiver.

How is Soulfly not making more use of the images/video shtick right now?  I thought we'd be hammered with sick Gordon highlights.

:popcorn:

I've read a couple times this morning that Gordon is done in Cleveland. Apparently they are fielding offers and there is a lot of interest from NYG, NYJ, NE and BAL.

Entirely speculation? Partly speculation?

While I think Cleveland would be slightly silly to sell him... If the team KNOWS he's going to leave anyways, and want to wipe the entire slate clean from guys like him and Manziel, than so be it.

I'll be sad as hell, as a Gordon and Browns fan... But it is what it is.. I can;t fully fault the Browns for trying to get a heavy draft pick for him, if they can.

While I think Cleveland would be slightly silly to sell him... If the team KNOWS he's going to leave anyways, and want to wipe the entire slate clean from guys like him and Manziel, than so be it.

I'll be sad as hell, as a Gordon and Browns fan... But it is what it is.. I can;t fully fault the Browns for trying to get a heavy draft pick for him, if they can.
But what's a heavy draft pick?

I don't see anyone giving up a 1st rounder for him, not with his "baggage" (we don't need to re-hash whether he actually has baggage or not-in the eyes of NFL GMs, he does, and whether you think he should have pissed positive, or should have been suspended for having 1 beer after the season, or has been "clean" for several years, the fact remains he is in the NFL's substance abuse program, and he has multiple failed tests for weed and/or alcohol that put him in danger of another suspension).  Plus, you have the fact that a 1st round WR will command a 4 year contract worth $20+ million or so (depending on how high of a pick) & Gordon will be a RFA either after 2016 (or 2017-does his contract for the suspended 2015 roll over?) & will likely demand much more money.  

So, maybe a 2nd-is 1 (or 2 years, hopefully) of Gordon worth more to them than a 2nd round pick?  Will anyone trade a 2nd round pick for him?

But what's a heavy draft pick?

I don't see anyone giving up a 1st rounder for him, not with his "baggage" (we don't need to re-hash whether he actually has baggage or not-in the eyes of NFL GMs, he does, and whether you think he should have pissed positive, or should have been suspended for having 1 beer after the season, or has been "clean" for several years, the fact remains he is in the NFL's substance abuse program, and he has multiple failed tests for weed and/or alcohol that put him in danger of another suspension).  Plus, you have the fact that a 1st round WR will command a 4 year contract worth $20+ million or so (depending on how high of a pick) & Gordon will be a RFA either after 2016 (or 2017-does his contract for the suspended 2015 roll over?) & will likely demand much more money.  

So, maybe a 2nd-is 1 (or 2 years, hopefully) of Gordon worth more to them than a 2nd round pick?  Will anyone trade a 2nd round pick for him?
He's an RFA in 2017.  His 2015 contract tolled but not 2014 - he just didn't get an Accrued Season for that year.

He's probably worth a 2nd with the leverage an RFA tag brings.  That's 2 guaranteed years of him, with strong likelihood to get him long-term at a discount.

Been saying it for a while now, but I can really see him in NE

You cant tell me Brady hasnt at least raised the issue of having NO big, dominant WR.

Just put it this way - if NE gives up a late 2nd for him, they get a guy who likely wouldve had them in the SB this season. Brady has 2-3 prime years left, and getting a guy like Gordon for "proverbial peanuts" would be a classic BB move. 

I want him in CLE. I wish he'd stay there forever... Team up w Goff and blow up. But I gotta be real too... And I do think they'll try and ship him off to start fresh (which is a mistake, imo)

Supposing he can go two full seasons without being kicked out of the league.
COuldnt be less worried about this.

As has been mentioned over and over... He's pissed clean for 2+yrs for weed. He got busted for having a damn beer. He's got his #### straight, and he's ready to beast

Joe Haden responded to someone on twitter who asked how Gordon is doing.

They've been practicing together, and Haden says he looks "Really Good".... Great to hear

Joe Haden responded to someone on twitter who asked how Gordon is doing.

They've been practicing together, and Haden says he looks "Really Good".... Great to hear
That is good news, but let's be honest....he could be rolling a fattie in one hand, pounding a 40 in the other, and Haden would say he looks good.

This is the time of the year when every one looks great, is in the greatest shape of their life (except Eddie Lacy), and have goals to gain 2000 yards.

Im so worried about Gordon. I worry for 4 reasons.

He is probably still smoking. I believe this because of his past. It is hard to stop smoking. I should know. He is addicted to marijuana.

He is probably going to drink a beer. Being in Clevand is depressing. That would make me drink a beer. Because he is an alcoholic, I put the odds of a beerlapse at 99.87 percent. 

He is not in shape. Lifting a paintbrush is not the same as lifting defenders off you. I worry that he may have forgotten how to play football. Plus who will throw him the ball? All this worries me. Plus he may smoke or drink or get fat.

Finally, I worry about the marijuana. I cant stress enough that you would be dumb to trust this guy anywhere near a smoke shop. He cant put the pipe down. Plus, this narrative never gets old. 

Those four reasons are why I would pass on Gordon and go with a safer option like Brian Quick, Steve Smith, Anquan Boldin, or Justin Blackmon.

He is probably still smoking. I believe this because of his past. It is hard to stop smoking. I should know. He is addicted to marijuana.

He is probably going to drink a beer. Being in Clevand is depressing. That would make me drink a beer. Because he is an alcoholic, I put the odds of a beerlapse at 99.87 percent. 

He is not in shape. Lifting a paintbrush is not the same as lifting defenders off you. I worry that he may have forgotten how to play football. Plus who will throw him the ball? All this worries me. Plus he may smoke or drink or get fat.

Finally, I worry about the marijuana. I cant stress enough that you would be dumb to trust this guy anywhere near a smoke shop. He cant put the pipe down. Plus, this narrative never gets old. 

Those four reasons are why I would pass on Gordon and go with a safer option like Brian Quick, Steve Smith, Anquan Boldin, or Justin Blackmon.
Lunacy, pure lunacy.

What has Brian Quick ever done?  How old are Steve Smith and Anquan Boldin?  How many good seasons can they have?  How many great seasons?  Blackmon?  Is there even hope Justin can revive his career?

You want safe?  Draft a full back.

Gordon probably is in the best shape of his life.

You should check his vids
You're missing my point.

Gordon has proved he is capable of being a stud in the NFL, I'm not doubting or contesting that.  Gordon could very well put up studly numbers in 2016; I'm not arguing against that.

The point is that the Haden quote is fluff; Gordon could be 40 lbs overweight, have Elephantitis in his left testicle that prevents him from being able to cut on his left leg, & have developed female breast tissue.  Haden would still say that he "looks good."  

Acting like we've got the 2016 FF MVP because Gordon applied for reinstatement, or because he posts some videos of him working out, or because a friend says he "looks good" is extremely premature. 

I've got him in a contract dynasty (3-years) and have been offered 1.12 and some change for him.

Don't want to be the guy who gave him away.

Bro, not even of that was picks 1 thru 12
I keep getting trade offers for the guy.  He was a machine.  He'll have an entire offseason to get back in shape.

I think money and a correct and stable environment can help a player.  Maybe it's the lack of structure in Cleveland, lol.

I keep getting offers left and right for the guy.  Tells me I shouldn't trade.

Do you do drugs Danny?

Every day.

So what's the problem?

Question - with his current status in the substance abuse program (assuming reinstatement), would he get suspended again for having a beer? Or was that a special case based on his status at the time of the incident? i.e., does he have more strict rules than everybody else in the league? 

I grabbed him for the minimum in an auction dynasty league last year, and no way am I selling at this point; just wondering how short his leash will be. 

Fantasy wise, what would be the better option?  With the Browns with new QB and lesser of an offence, but getting lots of looks and opportunities or the Pats with a better QB and offence, but will be competing for looks and touches (Gronk / Edelman / Amendola / Lewis).

As a Browns fan, I would not be happy if they traded him for less than a 1st round pick, and wouldn't even want a late 1st round pick. 

I don't know exactly how high the pick would have to be for me to be ok with it, but pick 31 wouldn't make me too happy. 

Rather have the upside with talent and hope for the best than to draft a decent talent who is a complete crapshoot at 31 to ever be anything in the NFL. 

I wouldn't be able to call it "bad", but I wouldn't like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
McKown is at least as good as what Gordon had in Hoyer/Campbell/Weeden.

Pats don't have a first round pick.

ghostguy123 said:
As a Browns fan, I would not be happy if they traded him for less than a 1st round pick, and wouldn't even want a late 1st round pick. 

I don't know exactly how high the pick would have to be for me to be ok with it, but pick 31 wouldn't make me too happy. 

Rather have the upside with talent and hope for the best than to draft a decent talent who is a complete crapshoot at 31 to ever be anything in the NFL. 

I wouldn't be able to call it "bad", but I wouldn't like it.
No way would he command anything close to a 1st round pick - we're talking real life NFL not fantasy football. Consider that Brandon Marshall went for a 5th last year to the Jets, and despite coming off an injury, being 30 years old, and not a very good reputation in the locker room, he still had a lot less baggage than Gordon has right now.

No way would he command anything close to a 1st round pick - we're talking real life NFL not fantasy football. Consider that Brandon Marshall went for a 5th last year to the Jets, and despite coming off an injury, being 30 years old, and not a very good reputation in the locker room, he still had a lot less baggage than Gordon has right now.
That's what I meant earlier when I asked what a "heavy draft pick" was.  If Cleveland expects a 1st round pick, I don't see any way that happens.  I'd be surprised if he were traded for a 2nd, to be honest.

RFA after this year, and coming off a year long suspension.  Not getting traded.  

If he stays clean, and leaves after his restricted free agency year, that's two seasons as a top flight WR (we assume).

They cannot get anything in return that matches that.  And maybe he signs an extension.  Maybe Goff/Wentz and the Moneyball team change the outlook.  Maybe he wasted a year of accrued time, and needs some real money.  Browns could probably lock him up for less than market value after this season.  

If he plays well and stays out of trouble nobody knows what the Browns will do. If they re-sign him, fine. If they don't, he will likely bring them a 3rd round Comp. pick because some team will give him big bucks.

I know.  WHich is why I see about a 0.00001% chance he is traded.

think the Browns told him he's back this season, based off his latest post...

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Troll all you want man.  I suspect he will be, but he certainly hasn't yet.  The internet will explode once it's decided, whichever way it goes, there won't be any need to infer from a twit that sounds more like an inspirational desktop calendar.

Troll all you want man.  I suspect he will be, but he certainly hasn't yet.  The internet will explode once it's decided, whichever way it goes, there won't be any need to infer from a twit that sounds more like an inspirational desktop calendar.
troll?

what else could "a fresh start" with praying hands means?

followed by photos of him rolling out as a Brown?

Users who are viewing this thread