What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Carson Wentz, LAR (1 Viewer)

N. Dakota St. QB Carson Wentz the buzz of Senior Bowl

MOBILE – Carson Wentz might be the best future NFL quarterback.

And least known.

That’s quickly changing.

The towering North Dakota native, who continued North Dakota State’s five-year dynasty of Football Championship Series (FCS, formerly NCAA Division I-AA) national championships, is the wow factor at the 67th Reese’s Senior Bowl.

“I think he is going to be the most-watched player here this week,” said Phil Savage, the game’s executive director who has spent two decades working in the NFL, including general manager and player personnel director.

Well, Wentz was certainly the most-watched player Tuesday as the North squad worked out at Ladd-Peebles Stadium. Whenever he went on the field during a 90-minute practice, the NFL followed.

Scouts, coaches, camera folks, anyone recording or taking notes. It was the buzz factor. And it just so happens the Dallas Cowboys are coaching the North team.

With Tony Romo an uncertainty, the Cowboys are in the market for a first-round quarterback. They have company, of course. A lot of teams are looking at Wentz.

“I don’t know any quarterback that does not want to be the top guy in the class,” Wentz said. “If you don’t think of it that way, if you don’t think you have the ability to be... then you are probably in the wrong sport.

“There is a long process from the end of the season to the draft. And this is really just the first step for a lot of guys. For seniors especially, this is the debut, the coming-out party... Hopefully the first impression is a good one.”

It was. He showed the zip and the command during Tuesday drills. And you could tell he was thrilled to be competing the way he interacted with coaches and teammates.

Off the field, Wentz makes a good impression. He’s handled media interviews with polished aplomb.

“I think obviously there are a lot of doubts coming from the FCS level and I want to address that right away,” said Wentz, who overcame a broken wrist that caused him to miss eight games this year, then came back to lead the Bison to another title. “Prove that I can play at a high level.... play at a fast level....compete with these guys. And really excel.

“I feel I have the mental and physical abilities to play at this level and I am really excited to prove them.”

Savage said he saw players on 40 different college teams during the season. Combined with his Senior Bowl staff, it totaled more than 70 teams. But getting to Fargo, N.D., which is 73 miles south of Manitoba and the Canadian border, was too difficult.

“We ultimately covered about 250 players in person,” Savage said. “I did not get to Fargo and I didn’t get to Southern Utah (to see touted safety Miles Killebrew, who is on North squad) and those are the two players I am most anxious to see on the field and in person.

“But from everything I saw in Wentz on video and then talking to people in the league....he’s big, he’s got a strong arm, he’s very athletic. He’s in an offense that is more conventional to the NFL rather than all the spread type of stuff.

“Even though he’s coming from the FCS, he’s got a lot of traits that people think will carry over to the NFL.”

There is rooting interest for the Senior Bowl, too. Highly touted quarterbacks have often bypassed this game, because they didn’t want a bad practice or missed throws in a certain drill to cause negative views and drop their perceived value.

It’s not easy for quarterbacks to look good with new receivers and surrounded by players you’ve never seen.

“We are keeping our fingers crossed he becomes the face of the franchise for us, as the Reese’s Senior Bowl,” Savage said. “Because the reality of it is, if Carson Wentz goes in the top 10, what a feather in his cap it’s going to be, but also for us, in terms of trying to convince quarterbacks that, hey you should come here and play.”

Playing and competing has never been an issue with Wentz. He played three sports all the way through high school.

But what’s remarkable is he started ninth grade as a 5-foot-8, 125 pound freshman. Four years later, he was 6-5, 200 pounds.

“I just kind of blossomed,” he said. “I didn’t play quarterback as a junior so I missed a lot of the big recruiting (push). Obviously in North Dakota, it’s hard to kinda get found in general... let alone (happen after) missing a junior year.

“I kind of came out of nowhere. I always knew I had the physical and mental abilities to play this position. I wouldn’t trade the route I took. I am so thankful.”

His boyhood quarterback hero? Brett Favre. Fits his own personality.

“I just like his grittiness, his competitiveness, his gunslinger mentality,” Wentz said. “I love the way the he just had fun out there.. He brought the energy out there.”

His first night in Mobile, Wentz and teammate Joe Haeg, an offensive lineman who joins him on the North squad, were talking about their career path. This is not a road well-traveled for NFL prospects.

“I still haven’t had a lot of time to reflect on it,” he said. “We just talked about it...saying.. hey has it really set in yet.? It really hasn’t. It is going to take some time to see what we accomplished and the whirlwind we’ve been on.

“It’s more than I could ever imagine... As a kid, you want to play in a Division I football program. You want to play in the NFL. You want to win Super Bowls..

“Right now.. the stars are aligning to take that step by step.”

Bust if he goes somewhere he can't sit for a year. Which never happens nowadays. He's got all the tools you could want in a vacuum (not saying his tools are elite but far far above any minimum threshold and his size is elite) but there's no way to know how he'll respond to a higher level of competition. I know that you can say that about any prospect entering the NFL but it's crazy not to be concerned that he didn't put up insane numbers in college, if he was a top-5 type prospect playing that talent pool.

Stats aren't going to tell you much. This year he broke his wrist in game six.

The year previous he had 31 total TDs (25/6) and 10 picks.

He didn't start his first two years because the Bison were busy winning National Championships #2 & #3 of their 5 game streak with upperclassmen Brock Jensen, who also spent some time in NFL camp (Dolphins).

It would, of course, be best for him to learn a while but guys like Romo and Flacco were small school too.

As for why he didn't go to a bigger program...Do scouts even know where Bismarck, ND is? And he was a bit of a late bloomer, growing from 5'8" as a HS freshman to 6'5" as a senior.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bust if he goes somewhere he can't sit for a year. Which never happens nowadays. He's got all the tools you could want in a vacuum (not saying his tools are elite but far far above any minimum threshold and his size is elite) but there's no way to know how he'll respond to a higher level of competition. I know that you can say that about any prospect entering the NFL but it's crazy not to be concerned that he didn't put up insane numbers in college, if he was a top-5 type prospect playing that talent pool.
Say he's there at 21, Skins take him?

If he's there at 13, Eagles will take him.

If he's there at 13, Eagles will take him.
If he performs well at the Sr bowl, he doesn't last to the 5th pick. Either Dallas takes him to sit behind ROMO for the 5 games he'll last or someone trades up to get him. Personally, I would love for Houston to somehow give up the world to get him. They will instantly contend with their D and a weapon like Hopkins. Plus he would play in a candyass division full of no D.

Skins are sold on Cousins.

Not after the contract we'll give Cousins. Plus I doubt he makes it that far...If he checks out enough to be a 1st rounder, he'll be a high one in this class I think

This has Bortles meteoric rise written all over it.
I think this is a classic example of draft media getting some chatter from actual scouts, and catching up. There was buzz about him well before the Senior Bowl. Goff vs. Wentz seems like the next big talking point.

I thought on a national Lynch was the latest rising darling.

The movement of predraft QB value is fascinating to me. Teddy and Johnny, Bortles lately have all had wild swings in projected draft slot leading up to the draft. Rodgers falling. Just interesting how wrong pundits are at the most crucial position.

I thought on a national Lynch was the latest rising darling.

The movement of predraft QB value is fascinating to me. Teddy and Johnny, Bortles lately have all had wild swings in projected draft slot leading up to the draft. Rodgers falling. Just interesting how wrong pundits are at the most crucial position.
Lynch totally laid an egg vs Auburn. Looked awful. That dropped him like a stone to now a distant #3 although I still think he goes in the top 15 because teams need starting QBs.

Will be curious to see Goff's true size next month. Don't like 6'4", 210 at all -- even guys on the smaller side like Alex Smith, Tannehill and Mariota were 7-12 pounds heavier than that.

You never know for sure how a young guy will do. But I can tell you he won't fail because of character. Great head on his shoulders and hard worker.

I've seen him play a handful of times. He can make any pass and is able to gain yards when the play breaks down. As long as the speed of the NFL isn't to much for him he will succeed.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Todd McShay says "it's hard to imagine this week going much better" for North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz.

Wentz is currently living up to the hype and then some at the Senior Bowl. "Wentz's physical tools are obvious," McShay wrote. "He's a big, strong kid with an awesome arm and good mobility. He passed the test, showing he could make all the necessary throws." McShay went on to say that he loves the way Wentz carries himself, listening to the calls in the huddle even when he wasn't in it for mental reps. "You can tell Wentz just loves football. Within a QB class that doesn't really have a clear-cut top guy right now, Wentz made a strong case to be the No. 1 passer off the board," McShay wrote. The analyst reminded readers that Wentz is being coached by the staff of the Cowboys, who pick No. 4 overall. Dallas owner Jerry Jones approached Wentz after Wednesday's Senior Bowl practice.

Source: ESPN Insider

Rotoworld:

North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz completed 6-of-10 passes for 50 yards in Saturday's Reese's Senior Bowl.

Nothing particularly spectacular in Wentz's numbers, but he did make some nice throws, including one in the first quarter in which he looked a linebacker off to the left before firing back to an open target on his right. The 6-foot-6, 231-pounder's Senior Bowl week as a whole should be considered nothing short of a success--scouts and analysts were universally high on him, with NFL Media's Bucky Brooks writing that he "proved to evaluators that he has the moxie and leadership skills to flourish as a franchise quarterback." He was widely viewed as the most impressive quarterbacking prospect in practices and might well be on his way to a Top-10 selection in this spring's draft. A pity for teams with more middling picks, as the giant wave of hype for the former Bison gunslinger might have more/less priced them out of the picture unless they trade up.

Source: Charles Robinson on Twitter

I may be nuts, but a 5.0 ypa against other college kids doesn't sound particularly impressive. I haven't seen him play, so I'm certain I could be very wrong.

I may be nuts, but a 5.0 ypa against other college kids doesn't sound particularly impressive. I haven't seen him play, so I'm certain I could be very wrong.
Wouldn't pay much attention to the game itself, almost no chemistry between all these players and extremely simplistic playcalling, etc. And lots of unnatural rotating of players so they all get some shine...

The practices are much more important. I think a ton of NFL personnel people don't even bother sticking around for the game, because they see what they need in the practices, like how they respond to NFL coaching, etc.

There were a couple times Wentz could have waited a beat longer and found someone for a bigger play I felt, but he looked good in the pocket and was under some pressure. Not much he could really do in this game, what he accomplished in practice all week under NFL coaching, specifically his footwork, is much more important. Especially since playing where he did, he's almost a total projection to the NFL right now and needs to sit for a year. He's just a bag of tools right now. Very good tools, but he needs some serious seasoning.

I know that during the broadcast of the game that Mayock described one of his passes as being a "stick throw into a tight window", the type of pass that will translate well to the NFL level.

If someone wants to submit that his hype this week was a bit overboard, I think that's fair and probably correct.

Weigh-in day, when nothing was going on, and they buzz was heavy, and seemed a little forced. All the other QBs were garbage, there were no other offensive skill positions that were exciting (Braxton Miller buzz didn't start till the practices).

The practice reports on Wentz were positive, but most along the lines of, 'well, he sure looks like the real deal compared to the rest of these QBs'. There were definitely some tweets along the lines of, 'Didn't look as good as Derek Carr'.

Rotoworld:

Carson Wentz - QB - Bison

In addition to his tremendous work at the Senior Bowl, North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz was "even more impressive in closed-door meetings with coaches and general managers," reports TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.

"Im told he knocked it out of the park during interviews as personnel people around the league who interviewed Wentz were awed by his knowledge of Xs and Os," Pauline wrote. "The belief is the North Dakota State product, who was a 4.0 student in college, should have no problem running a multiple formation offense on Sundays and coaches love his upside." Wentz is easily the hottest prospect in the draft right now. Between his work on the field and mental acuity, scouts are salivating while projecting the upside of this tool shed of a prospect.

Source: Philadelphia Eagles Website

Feb 1 - 1:58 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Todd McShay believes North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz "checked off every box" at the Senior Bowl.

"He has the frame (6-foot-5¼, 233 pounds)," McShay wrote. "He has the arm. He can make all the throws -- even in cold, windy weather. He displayed a good demeanor with his coaches and teammates. Wentz played his way into the conversation as the first QB off the board." The analyst ranked Wentz as the No. 1 player participating in the Mobile, Alabama event. NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah previously called the 6-foot-6, 231-pounder's week an "outstanding performance."

Users who are viewing this thread