Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dynasty & Redraft: QB Carson Wentz, Colts

A week or so ago I heard a commentator during an Eagles game say something to the effect of

...someone needs to talk to Carson Wentz and just tell him that he doesn't have to win the superbowl with every throw and every play they run.

As I watched last night, this statement resonated with me during a play where Wentz dropped back, maybe 10+ yards to avoid pressure, rolled out left a little, turned his body to throw and was sacked and I think he fumbled.  Sometimes I wonder if he is trying too hard.  The whole thing where Foles came in as a backup and won the SB, I wonder if that sticks in his head and he really does just try too hard to win... on every play.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are you new here?

I think he instantly becomes a top 32 QB.

I'm not sure they would draft a QB, but I also think that if drafting Hurts ruined Wentz's confidence, that doesn't say much for Wentz's mental strength.  I also think Hurts looked good and it wouldn'

Eagles QB Carson Wentz said he hasn't been "good enough" after committing four turnovers against Dallas in Week 8. 

Wentz threw two picks and lost two fumbles. He repeatedly refused to throw the ball away to avoid sacks and interceptions against one of the league's worst defenses. Wentz said he's "going to have to watch the tape and I’m a little frustrated with how I played and how we’ve left some plays out there, left some points out there, and missed some big opportunities." No one this season has thrown more interceptions than Wentz, who has bailed out fantasy managers with rushing production time and again. Eagles head coach Doug Pederson said there "was never any of that conversation to pull him" Sunday night despite the poor play. Jalen Hurts should be rostered in all superflex leagues in case Pederson tires of Wentz's disastrous decision making and rolls with the rookie in the season's second half. 

RELATED: 

Jalen Hurts

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Nov 2, 2020, 11:20 AM ET

16 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Wentz plays like he is permanently concussed. I’m serious. Just looks dazed. Terrible decisions. 

I will never understand how he was a top ten FF QB.   Feels like this week was closer to reality.  The favorable results were unsustainable due to the weak o line and lack of weapons. Wentz has the ability to be great but needs to play smarter.  

3 hours ago, Team Smokin' said:

Anyone sense a tad uptick in Wenz for the second half?

Looking for a bye week fill and a second QB just in case.

He has the ability but lack of team is concerning.   He should have some better weapons now.   Not sure about the o line. I’m still holding him and may even start him this week.  Obviously, I don’t have good options if he’s in consideration.  

Edited by DocHolliday
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Team Smokin' said:

Anyone sense a tad uptick in Wenz for the second half?

Looking for a bye week fill and a second QB just in case.

I’ve been playing musical QB’s since losing Dak, but I’m probably hitching my wagon to Wentz the rest of the way. He’s getting weapons back, and his schedule is cake from here on out.  You probably won’t do much better than him for your QB 2 the rest of the way.

Edited by kutta
  • Like 1

riding Wentz here on out as well. had to pick up and start Luton last week, that tells you all you need to know about my QB situation. i think this bye week comes at a good time with Reagor back in the mix. the practice week was probably the best thing having had barely any preseason as a group.

looking like Lane Johnson will be back in the lineup having had two weeks off, looking for the first practice report today to see how the offensive line will be setup for this week.

• Like 1

Jeremy Fowler @JFowlerESPN

Eagles believe bye week helped Carson Wentz. Philly and Wentz self-scouted, believe interceptions aren’t coming from bad reads or being fooled, but Wentz being ultra-aggressive trying to make a play. Team expects a better, more proficient Wentz, quieting noise about his job

https://twitter.com/jfowlerespn/status/1328025074818027520?s=21

Carson Wentz completed 21-of-37 passes for 208 yards in the Eagles' Week 10 loss to the Giants.

Wentz had a good on-paper matchup, a healthier offensive line, Dallas Goedert, Jalen Reagor, and Miles Sanders, but busted in fantasy and in real life. The Eagles are painfully boring to watch with Wentz plummeting to career-low levels. Wentz continues to look for big plays that aren't there and misses easy gains with below-average accuracy. Hopefully things gel with more live reps with a healthy offense but that could be wishful thinking. Wentz will be a QB2 against the Browns in Week 11.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

Man, Wentz needs to get off his stubbornness and tendency for big plays.  Just take what defense gives him and simply allow his playmakers to do the rest.  Wentz got to stop being Superman on the field.  I kept seeing him missing easy passes (aka layups) and went for big chunk / plays (3pter or fadeway shot).  

I know he doesn’t have a lot around him in terms of protection, playmakers and coaching but it’s hard to think of a QB who has regressed as much as him in just a few years.  He was an MVP candidate a few years ago and one of the next, young elite QBs in the league.  

5 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

He just looks ....off.  His throws are often a tick late.  

A "tick" late?  The guy holds on to the ball forever.  Today he was in his own end zone, had a couple guys in the flat wide open and held onto the ball to take a safety.  Just brutal to see how much he's regressed.  I really wonder if he's just messed up in the head due to all the hits he's taken over the years.  Maybe he needs to see a sports psychologist

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

A "tick" late?  The guy holds on to the ball forever.  Today he was in his own end zone, had a couple guys in the flat wide open and held onto the ball to take a safety.  Just brutal to see how much he's regressed.  I really wonder if he's just messed up in the head due to all the hits he's taken over the years.  Maybe he needs to see a sports psychologist

There’s that but I’m talking about delivering the ball on simple routes.   The pass is there but he’s a fraction late and then coverage shows up with the ball.  He has regressed.   

• Like 2

I do think Carson still has talent. But it's obvious now that Doug is not the coach to get that out of him. He needs a real OC that understands how to use him. Whether that's in Philly or somewhere else I think he has better years ahead of him. This is just a lost season even with 6 games left.

• Like 1

From PFT...

Wentz leads the NFL in interceptions, fumbles and sacks this year, an ugly indication of how badly he has played.

Wentz has thrown 14 interceptions, while no one else in the NFL has thrown more than 11 (Kirk Cousins and Drew Lock are tied for second). His 14 interceptions equal a career high, which he set in 16 games as a rookie, and since his rookie year Wentz had never thrown more than seven interceptions in any season until this year.

Wentz has taken 40 sacks, while no one else has taken more than 33 (Russell Wilson is second). Wentz’s 40 sacks are already a career high, even with six more games to play this season, and his lack of awareness in the pocket and inability to get rid of the ball when he’s being pressured has been stunning to see this year.

Wentz has fumbled 10 times this year, one more than the second-worst, Joe Burrow. Fumbles have always been a problem for Wentz, who now has 58 career fumbles, by far the most of any player in the NFL since he entered the league in 2016.

• Like 1

I think it's a combo of several things. But it seems like the lack of pre-season has affected the Eagles more than anyone else, for some reason.

I don't know which is the chicken and which is the egg but a "ghost seeing" Wentz throwing to a bunch of nobodies behind a line ruined by injury adds up to a lost season. 

2017:

HC- Doug Pederson

OC- Frank Reich

QB Coach- John DeFilippo

RB Coach- Duce Staley

WR Coach- Mike Groh

2020:

HC- Doug Pederson

Assistant HC/ RB’s- Duce Staley

OC- None

Pass game coordinator/ QB coach- Press Taylor

Assistant run game coordinator/assistant running backs – T. J. Paganetti

Wide receivers – Aaron Moorehead

Assistant wide receivers – Matthew Harper

On 11/24/2020 at 12:30 PM, Bigboy10182000 said:

2017:

HC- Doug Pederson

OC- Frank Reich

QB Coach- John DeFilippo

RB Coach- Duce Staley

WR Coach- Mike Groh

2020:

HC- Doug Pederson

OC- None

Something about this structure doesn't work.

On 11/24/2020 at 12:30 PM, Bigboy10182000 said:

2017:

HC- Doug Pederson

OC- Frank Reich

QB Coach- John DeFilippo

RB Coach- Duce Staley

WR Coach- Mike Groh

2020:

HC- Doug Pederson

OC- None

This. I know Carson has sucked but I really believe this is a system issue more than the QB, time will tell.

Carson Wentz completed just 25-of-45 passes for 215 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception in the Eagles' 23-17, Week 12 loss to the Seahawks Monday night.

At halftime, Wentz had more rushing yards (33) than passing yards (30) and mustered nine net passing yards at the break after finishing the first quarter with negative-five against the league's worst pass defense in terms of pass yards allowed. Wentz was sacked six more times, giving him 46 takedowns on the year, which is 11 more than the next-closest quarterback. He also tossed his league-worst 15th interception, a fourth-down pass thrown right to Quandre Diggs in the end zone on a miscommunication with Dallas Goedert. This game wasn't nearly as close as the score would suggest, and Wentz padded his stats big time on the final drive that ended with a 33-yard Hail Mary touchdown to Richard Rodgers. Wentz is totally broken, but coach Doug Pederson doesn't seem ready to pull the plug. He gave Jalen Hurts just two snaps in this one. Wentz and the Eagles go to Green Bay in Week 13.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

Carson Wentz this season has had one of the biggest passer rating drop-offs in NFL history. 

Wentz in 2020 is the sixth quarterback in league history whose passer rating has dropped more than 24 points below his combined rate over the past three seasons. He's the only QB on that list younger than 30. Other signal callers on the ignominious list: Mark Rypien in 1993, Joe Theismann in 1985, Peyton Manning in his statistically disastrous 2015 season, and Brett Favre in 2010. The main difference, of course, is that Manning and Favre were on the tail ends of their Hall of Fame careers, having fallen off the proverbial cliff. Wentz is 28 years old. He's completed 58.1 percent of his passes this year while throwing an NFL-leading 15 interceptions. His mega contract almost guarantees the Eagles are stuck with the declining QB for the next season or two.

- Rotoworld

10th offensive line combination in 11 games

absolutely no rhythm for any of their skill position players last night other than Goedert

Wide receiver

• 48 snaps: Greg Ward

• 43 snaps: Jalen Reagor

• 37 snaps: Travis Fulgham

• 35 snaps: Alshon Jeffery

• 19 snaps: John Hightower

Analysis: A long since cooked Jeffery was getting snaps while Fulgham was standing on the sidelines. I can't possibly imagine what anyone associated with the team could think Jeffery still has to offer. The fact that he's even dressing on gameday is bad enough. That he's holding back one of the true bright spots on the roster from getting playing time is insanity.

Oh, and by the way, Fulgham led this group in receiving with a stat line of 2 catches for 16 yards. Ja'Marr Chase anyone?

Carson has been terrible, but is Hurts the answer? He’s not gonna have any time to get the ball out either.

7 minutes ago, BoerumHill said:

Dropped back 47 times last night 

Hit 26 times

and thats just getting hit...he had to rush it or someone was in his face almost every pass.  He's been bad but terrible OL and play calling is a big factor.  

I think they go with Wentz until/unless they are eliminated which may not happen in this awful division.  

He’s looking to be as overrated as Dak Prescott at this point. Yes, there have been many injuries, but Wentz’s struggles are well beyond this year. Is on the trajectory to be a slightly above average QB. 

1 hour ago, Ack88 said:

He’s looking to be as overrated as Dak Prescott at this point. Yes, there have been many injuries, but Wentz’s struggles are well beyond this year. Is on the trajectory to be a slightly above average QB. 

Go in the corner and just rewrite that entire paragraph until it's close to how the real world is.

• Like 2
  • Faust changed the title to Dynasty & Redraft: QB Carson Wentz, Colts