What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Carson Wentz, KC (2 Viewers)

The Buffalo News' Bills beat writer Tyler Dunne reports that Buffalo visited the North Dakota State campus last year more than any other NFL team to scout QB Carson Wentz.
You can imagine the Bills' brass being rather disconcerted with the way things have shaken out over the past three months. It's hard to remember now, but only in December was Jared Goff clearly the class' No. 1 QB, followed by Paxton Lynch. It was only after Wentz returned from injury to lead the Bison to another championship and then proceed to dominate the draft process that he become a lock to go in the top-8. Barring a stunning move up the board, the Bills have no chance at him.

Source: Tyler Dunne on Twitter 
Apr 7 - 6:43 PM

NFL.com's Lance Zierlein reports that the Eagles are trying to figure out a way to land North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz.
Philadelphia HC Doug Pederson, personnel executive Howie Roseman and OC Frank Reich met with Wentz at the Senior Bowl in January and apparently have been smitten since. "Make no mistake about it, I still think the Eagles first and foremost are trying to find a way to get Carson Wentz," Zierlein said. "I know Doug Pederson loves him. I know that from people behind the scenes, in the know. That's who he wants and that's who he likes. It's just going to be tough." The Eagles pick at No. 8 overall, which means they're probably going to have to trade up to secure Wentz's services. It's unclear if they could stomach that considering the resources already devoted in QB Sam Bradford and backup Chase Daniel.

Source: MMQB 
Apr 7 - 5:49 PM

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline hears that the Cowboys have North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz ranked as a top-3 player on their draft board.
Per Pauline, the Cowboys have FSU DB Jalen Ramsey graded as their top overall player. Wentz checks in at No. 3 on their board and if they select a quarterback at No. 4, don't expect to hear Cal QB Jared Goff's name called in the slot. This could ultimately be a moot point, though. The Browns could well select the 6-foot-5, 237-pound gunslinger at No. 2. Even if they don't, the Cowboys are an expectant playoff team and drafting a project quarterback -- even one that they love -- might be viewed as a bit of a luxury, rather than a necessity.

Source: TFY Draft Insider 
Apr 10 - 12:56 PM

Sam Monson@PFF_Sam

Carson Wentz completion % last season when not under pressure: 70.1 When pressured: 42.6
Jerod Brown ‏@jerodbrown62  2h2 hours ago
Jerod Brown Retweeted Sam Monson
I love Wentz as much as the next guy but that's a major issue. If I knock Cook for it, I gotta knock Wentz.
Meh, he was throwing to guys that on their best day will become the water boy for an NFL team. Of course, the Rams WR are just a step above that.

Per the Philadelphia Daily News' Les Bowen, Eagles HC Doug Pederson spent more time talking about North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz than any other prospect during a recent pre-draft media scrum.
Gushed Pederson, "You dive into him as a person, his work ethic, his off-the-field attitude … how he handles his teammates, puts him in kind of an elite status when it comes to quarterbacks." The coach also said that Wentz is "everything you want in a quarterback at this level." Pederson indicated -- perhaps understanding that Wentz could be off the board by No 8 -- that he can't wait to follow the 6-foot-5, 237-pounder's professional development and career. Wentz will be in Los Angeles on Monday and is in play to be selected No. 1 overall, though Cal QB Jared Goff might have something to say about that.

Source: philly.com 
Apr 18 - 5:03 PM

Doug Pederson made it "very clear" that he thinks North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz is "the real deal", reports the Newark Star-Ledger's Eliot Shorr-Parks.
Shorr-Parks added that Philly has spent more time with Wentz than any other draft-eligible player. If you believe reports, the Rams and Browns (sitting Nos. 1-2) both prefer Jared Goff to Wentz. The Eagles have made it clear they prefer Wentz. If Cleveland likes Connor Cook or Paxton Lynch, they could trade down with the Eagles to No. 8. Cleveland could probably trade down once more into the early teens and still get Lynch. Cook could be had in the late first.

Source: Eliot Shorr-Parks on Twitter

An NFL scout called North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz a "genius", alluding to his 40 on the Wonderlic, in a conversation with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
"He could be really good," the scout continued. "He's the best runner, he's the best athlete. He is off the charts." The 6-foot-5, 237-pound Wentz ran a 4.77 forty at the Combine, tied with (probable WR) Trevone Boykin for tops in the QB field. "Prototypical," another scout said. "I see everything. Arm strength. Accuracy. Toughness. Athletic ability. Smart. Great kid." A third scout, who actually spoke with pessimism, compared Wentz to Blake Bortles and Ben Roethlisberger. "He gets away with things in that league (Missouri Valley) that he wouldn't get away with in the SEC," he said. "He tries to throw in tight windows. Even in the (FCS) title game he threw two picks. ... At this point I just don't see where he's that accurate of a passer." A fourth scout said: "I'd sit him for a year and a half, two years. Then I got a real starter. He'll be shoved into the fire too quickly and it may crush him."

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 
Apr 20 - 7:12 PM

I couldn't think of a worse town for a nice kid from ND who hunts and likes to be left alone. He's going to hate it. 

I can provide him with some awesome local places to hunt. Horse farms, sprawling 100 acre estates, etc. 
Yep.....plenty of places close by (in the suburbs) where he could hunt all day to his hearts content and be left in relative solitude.....

Meh, he was throwing to guys that on their best day will become the water boy for an NFL team. Of course, the Rams WR are just a step above that.

Wait.  So your position is that his receivers were catching the ball when he wasn't pressured but dropping it when the pocket started collapsing on him?

Now that makes about as much sense as most of your positions. 

I'm talking more about the media and fans and culturally there's a big difference between the upper Midwest and east coast. Not that there's no hunting in Pennsylvania. 

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20160421_Eagles__trade_smacks_of_arrogance.html

..."Wentz is a very good player, but I saw him make a lot of throws that would've been intercepted if he wasn't playing against I-AA competition," NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger said. "Playing against Northern Iowa and playing against Alabama are two different things. It's like playing two different sports.

"Goff, I think he does a lot of things really well. He's good in the pocket. He goes through his progressions. He has a good arm and can take a hit. But I don't think he comes anywhere close to Jameis Winston. Same with Wentz."

I think a big part of the Eagles' decision to trade up for a quarterback is spurred by money. Cap money.

Bradford's cap number is just $12.5 million this year but jumps to $22.5 million next year in the final year of his two-year deal.

Even if they signed him to a contract extension next year that lowered his 2017 cap number, you're still looking at a contract that probably would be around $20 million-a-year, probably more if Bradford has a big year.

Now, compare that with the four-year, $24.2 million deal Mariota signed last year after he was selected by Tennessee with the second pick. His cap numbers: $4.4 million last year, $5.5 million this year, $6.6 million in 2017 and $7.7 million in 2018. An affordable quarterback contract like that makes it a lot easier to give a quarterback-like contract to your All-Pro defensive tackle.

"That goes to not only the quarterback position but all of the positions that are high-cost positions," Roseman said the other day when I asked him about the benefit of hitting on a young quarterback in the draft. "You pick the position - quarterback, offensive line, wide receiver - all of those positions are more cost-effective in the draft.

"If you get a guy like that in the top 10 who you have for four years plus the option (year), it gives you some flexibility elsewhere, because those are high-money positions."

While there certainly are teams out there who will have interest in Bradford when the Eagles make him available, it would be unconscionable for them to trade him right after he re-signed with them. To his credit, Roseman said that the Eagles aren't interested in trading Bradford right now, and that he will be the team's starting quarterback in 2016. Whomever they select with the second pick will spend his rookie season watching and learning. After that, all bets are off.

Roseman insisted Wednesday that Bradford "still could" be the Eagles' starting quarterback for the long term. But that's nonsense. The 2016 season almost certainly will be his last with the Eagles.

CBS Sports draft analyst Dane Brugler wrote that North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz "has all the physical and mental tools needed to be a long-term starter in the NFL."
One scout who spoke with the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel earlier this week called Wentz "off the charts" and a "genius," though another was slightly more scared off by perceived accuracy issues. The 6-foot-5, 237-pounder is the probable No. 2 selection in the draft and would be best suited to sit for a year or two before he is thrust into the fire. Eagles executive VP of football operations Howie Roseman is perhaps already thinking about this, as he tabbed Sam Bradford as the team's starting quarterback for 2016 following the team's trade with the Browns.

Source: CBS Sports 
Apr 23 - 5:12 PM

Out of curiosity how did Wentz's stats compare to past Dakota QBs?
Here are the past 6 QB seasons from North Dakota State, sorted by ay/a which equals:

passing yards + 1.3 (rushing yards) + 2 (completions) + 15 (passing TDs) + 15 (rushing TDs) - 25 (interceptions) / (pass att + rush att)

A: 15 gs, 218/329, 2793 yd, 34 td, 7 int, 99/479/10 rushing, 10.13 ay/a
B: 7 gs, 130/208, 1651 yd, 17 td, 4 int, 63/294/6 rushing, 9.37 ay/a
C: 16 gs, 228/358, 3111 yd, 25 td, 10 int, 138/642/6 rushing, 9.31 ay/a
D: 8 gs, 90/147, 1144 yd, 13 td, 4 int, 85/498/5 rushing, 9.23 ay/a
E: 15 gs, 219/326, 2524 yd, 14 td, 4 int, 73/173/9 rushing, 8.60 ay/a
F: 15 gs, 207/338, 2331 yd, 17 td, 8 int, 111/357/12 rushing, 7.67 ay/a

The identities of these 6 QBs are:

A: Brock Jensen 2013
B: Carson Wentz 2015
C: Carson Wentz 2014
D: Easton Stick 2015
E: Brock Jensen 2011
F: Brock Jensen 2012

Last edited by a moderator:

Eagles selected North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2016 draft.
Despite their protestations, the Eagles knew they were taking the Bison quarterback all along. Wentz (6'5/237) made just 23 FCS starts, missing eight games as a senior due to a fractured wrist. He compiled a 20-3 record, 64.1 completion percentage, 8.36 YPA and 45:14 TD-to-INT ratio. A top-shelf athlete for the position, Wentz has an 81st-percentile SPARQ score and aced the Wonderlic with a 40. Wentz flashed NFL-level arm strength, ball location and deep-ball accuracy versus FCS competition, but needs a lot of work on his pocket mechanics and wasn't a dominant player in the Missouri Valley Conference. He also turns 24 late in his rookie season, whereas Jared Goff is still only 21. Wentz is flush with franchise-quarterback traits, but he may need a year on the bench before he's pro ready.

Apr 28 - 8:29 PM

Coach Doug Pederson reiterated 2016 will be a developmental year for first-rounder Carson Wentz.

It's widely assumed Wentz will push Sam Bradford sooner than later, but Pederson cautioned to not forget about Chase Daniel, who is quietly making $7 million a year. If Bradford falters, Pederson says Daniel is the next man up. "Carson has a lot to learn," Pederson said. "Not only from the playbook, but just how to be a professional quarterback, how to handle the media, how to handle Philadelphia, his teammates." Publicly, at least, the Eagles' plan is to keep Wentz on the bench for most, if not all of 2016.

Source: Philly Mag: Birds 24/7 
May 18 - 9:15 AM

NJ Advance Media's Matt Lombardo reports No. 2 overall pick Carson Wentz "seems to" have a better handle of the playbook than Sam Bradford.
Both players are attempting to master new coach Doug Pederson's offense, and Bradford appears to be behind after pouting for two weeks following the draft. The veteran should catch up, but it looks like Wentz is having no trouble adjusting to an NFL offense. Pederson has said all along he would like to let his rookie develop behind a veteran before thrusting him into the limelight, but it remains extremely likely Wentz makes starts this season.

Related: Sam Bradford

Source: NJ Advance Media 
May 30 - 10:17 AM

Eagles OC Frank Reich said No. 2 overall pick Carson Wentz's "aptitude is off the charts."
"I’m not sure I’ve been around a guy that has as high an aptitude as him at this age," Reich continued. "It’s really, really good and he has the work ethic to go along with it." That "aptitude" has allowed Wentz to pick up the offense "very fast." Coach Doug Pederson seems committed to making Wentz sit behind Sam Bradford, but his resolve will be tested if Wentz shows good command of the offense in camp. No matter who is under center to start the season, it is likely Wentz makes starts as a rookie.

Source: SiriusXM NFL Radio 
Jun 7 - 10:51 AM

http://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-2016-rookie-projections/

JUNE 26, 2016

Eagles 2016 rookie projections

Y JIMMY KEMPSKI 
PhillyVoice Staff

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

In the 2016 NFL Draft, the Eagles made eight selections, headlined of course by the No. 2 overall pick, quarterback Carson Wentz. However, it is unlikely that many of the Eagles' picks will see substantial action as rookies.

Carson Wentz, QB, 1st round

In a best case scenario, the Eagles would love to be competitive in 2016 with Sam Bradford having his best season as a starter (not a high bar). That will make it easier for Howie Roseman to flip Bradford for a decent draft pick during the 2017 offseason.

It's very clear the Eagles want to be extremely patient with Wentz, a player they view as the long term centerpiece of the franchise, but not in any way some kind of short term fix. 

Even if Bradford gets hurt, count on pricey backup Chase Daniel to take over the reins as the starter. There's a very good chance Wentz won't even dress on game day, as teams typically only keep two quarterbacks active.

Wentz wasn't a target of mine, but he keep falling so far that I own him in half a dozen leagues.  Projects very similarly to Blake Bortles for me.

Eagles coach Doug Pederson said if the season started today, Carson Wentz would be a healthy inactive.
Most teams dress only two quarterbacks on game day and Wentz appears to be a distant third behind Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel. Jimmy Kempski of Philly Voice believes the best-case scenario would be for Bradford to have a strong season so the Eagles could flip him for an early-round pick in 2017. That would pave the way for Wentz to see the field. We are certainly still not ruling out Wentz making starts late this season, specifically if/when the Eagles fall out of the playoff hunt.

Source: Philly Voice 
Jul 17 - 8:51 AM

Very bizarre. I can't remember a player picked so high being healthy and inactive to start the season. 

I don't mind the Eagles sitting him this year. What do Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and Aaron Rodgers have in common (outside of being the NFL's best QB's?).

I don't mind the Eagles sitting him this year. What do Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and Aaron Rodgers have in common (outside of being the NFL's best QB's?).
They were all white guys from high school football hotbeds that played at high end D1 conferences and fell in drafts. 

Very bizarre. I can't remember a player picked so high being healthy and inactive to start the season. 
There is something odd about how the entire Philly QB situation has been handled this off season.  Starting with the money they threw at Bradford and then at Chase Daniel leading up to the big trade-up for Wentz.

The shock took the fans by surprise so we heard early reports from the QB coach stating that he was 'pleasantly surprised' by Wentz only a month ago but at the same time we heard that Wentz 'could be' a healthy scratch from beat reporters and those rumors have recently been confirmed by the new HC Penderson where he has stated that Carson would likely be a healthy scratch if the season began today.

Most here have been around the block a few times so we know this could be coach speak to motivate the rookie or it could be semantics telling the truth of where Wentz is at right now. 

If he is a healthy scratch at the start of the season then heads should roll because if, after literally spending all of that loot on Bradford and Chase Daniel and all of those draft picks to acquire their prized rookie and if they can't get him ready and if he isn't capable of being active at the start of the year then they'd better win every game at the start of the year or Howie Roseman is a dead man walking because the Philly fanbase isn't the most patient and kind from what we've seen over the years.  

I don't think it's motivation. It's a face saving move for the front office for paying Bradford/Daniel so much. They clearly didn't have a plan to get a top pick until after FA started. They were able to trade up to 8 with Miami to make it more practical. If they could go back and not sign Bradford, they would, but they have Bradford, so they have to use him.

If you compare it to JAX when they drafted Bortles, they signed Henne that year and they very much wanted people to think he would start and Bortles would learn. However, Henne was signed to backup money (2 for 8) and was easy to admit he was just a backup when Bortles showed something. If Bradford gets hurt, it turns into the same scenario and we'll see Wentz sooner than later over Daniel.

Howie's future is now tied to Wentz. He bought himself 2 years by acquiring Wentz. Stuff can turn for him this year, like if the guys they trimmed (Murray, Maxwell, Alonso) turn into Pro Bowl players. But it will still be wait and see on Wentz.

Users who are viewing this thread