What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Carson Wentz, KC (3 Viewers)

Yeah I think I’m rolling with him as well. Latest forecasts are for rain but wind isn’t terrible. 

I own Wentz in all three of my dynasty leagues, so full disclosure on that subject.  I think he's the top dynasty QB right now.  There is no QB I would trade him straight up for.  I know some Rodgers' owners will disagree, but the possible longevity with Wentz at QB for the next 10-15 years puts him over the top IMO.  Another season-ending injury to Rodgers, who will be 34 in December, also solidifies Wentz as the #1 dynasty QB.  
I'd probably agree right now.  Watson should be in the discussion as well.  In the young QB category I also think Mahomes will soon be in that discussion, but obviously he isn't there yet.  

I'd probably agree right now.  Watson should be in the discussion as well.  In the young QB category I also think Mahomes will soon be in that discussion, but obviously he isn't there yet.  
Watson is not playing as good as you might think. Wentz is playing better than him 10x over and if I had Watson I would be selling high.

Tex

Watson is not playing as good as you might think. Wentz is playing better than him 10x over and if I had Watson I would be selling high.

Tex
Different type of QBs. Watson has been lucky on several of his deep throws, but he has Wilson-like pocket presence. After a slow start, the Texans have averaged 39 points per game.

Different type of QBs. Watson has been lucky on several of his deep throws, but he has Wilson-like pocket presence. After a slow start, the Texans have averaged 39 points per game.
Watson has been lucky a lot, great WR play and at least three dropped interceptions that I know of but sooner or later if he doesn’t correct his decision making it’s going to catch-up. Sell HIGH now!

Tex

Watson has been lucky a lot, great WR play and at least three dropped interceptions that I know of but sooner or later if he doesn’t correct his decision making it’s going to catch-up. Sell HIGH now!

Tex
I guess he got lucky again today.

Watson is playing well but I would not place him in the top 5 just yet.  I need to see a full season at least to put him in front of Rodgers, Wilson, Luck and Mariota.  I would place him anywhere in the 6-10 range.

Watson is playing well but I would not place him in the top 5 just yet.  I need to see a full season at least to put him in front of Rodgers, Wilson, Luck and Mariota.  I would place him anywhere in the 6-10 range.
Rodgers and Wilson I can see.  Luck may never return to the form he had before.  Mariota is living off a 6 game stretch last season but outside of that has been average.  I think the top 3 is clearly Rodgers, Wentz and Watson in some order.  

Is anyone trading him away or for him? I'd like to take a shot at getting him. Not sure what to offer with Rodgers, though.

My concern from a fantasy standpoint with the Ajayi trade is that they will ask Wentz to throw less. The Peters injury is another factor to air it out less unless game script calls for it.

My concern from a fantasy standpoint with the Ajayi trade is that they will ask Wentz to throw less. The Peters injury is another factor to air it out less unless game script calls for it.
I think he will throw a bit less, but I dont think that is going to change things TOO much from a fantasy perspective.  Still think he's a mid range QB1.

There is another reason in acquiring Ajayi, which is to give another pass-catching back for Wentz especially vs. blitz.  Blount can't catch and doesn't run behind shotgun offense.  Ajayi can do this, providing his knees remain healthy. 

They throw 52% of the time which isnt a lot.

Ajayi isn’t good enough to change things drastically. The Peters injury is bad though.

Yes I have. Maybe your tv shows a different camera angle then like, say.... Everybody else's?

jk, but you really might give in on this one. The guy is a STUD.
I didn’t say he was a bum but he is not as good as his numbers suggests. I didn’t see this last game but I did see the long run and TD by Hopkins. The commentary was all on Watson on that play and he was given the credit for the TD which is comical that TD was all Hopkins.

Here are the facts:

Watson’s 69.2 overall grade is 28th in the league.

Fourth-highest percentage of negatively graded throws

Ninth-highest percentage of turnover-worthy plays

Lowest drop rate in the league by receivers, only two drops

Charged with four sacks, tied for seventh among quarterbacks

Week 4 vs. Titans: Watson throws an errant pass nowhere near his intended receiver in the end zone for an interception at the end of the first half, but the Texans win the game 57-14 in an otherwise-brilliant outing for Watson.

Week 2 vs. Bengals: Early in the first quarter, Watson misreads the coverage and fires a pass that hits Bengals’ cornerback Darqueze Dennard in the hands who drops the clean pick-six opportunity.

Week 6 vs. Browns: Watson fires a pass directly to CB Jason McCourty along the sideline while trying to throw the ball away under pressure. Potential interception is broken up by WR Deandre Hopkins

Week 3 vs. Patriots: Watson doesn’t feel pressure and fumbles in the pocket with OT Chris Clark falling on the ball for the recovery.

Week 1 vs. Jaguars: Watson misreads the coverage in the red zone and throws an interception right to linebacker Myles Jack, but the play is negated by an illegal hands to the face penalty by the Jaguars.

He’s also had interception luck, sure-handed receivers, and questionable work in the pocket that has either padded or gone unnoticed on the stat sheet.

He plays good at times but he’s been extremely lucky and I still say he is a sell high right now.

Tex

I thought Watson was a sell high last week.  Now I think he will just ride out all of the negative narratives to a forty TD season and then people will spend the entire offseason trying to figure out what happened.

I didn’t say he was a bum but he is not as good as his numbers suggests. I didn’t see this last game but I did see the long run and TD by Hopkins. The commentary was all on Watson on that play and he was given the credit for the TD which is comical that TD was all Hopkins.

Here are the facts:

Watson’s 69.2 overall grade is 28th in the league.

Fourth-highest percentage of negatively graded throws

Ninth-highest percentage of turnover-worthy plays

Lowest drop rate in the league by receivers, only two drops

Charged with four sacks, tied for seventh among quarterbacks

Week 4 vs. Titans: Watson throws an errant pass nowhere near his intended receiver in the end zone for an interception at the end of the first half, but the Texans win the game 57-14 in an otherwise-brilliant outing for Watson.

Week 2 vs. Bengals: Early in the first quarter, Watson misreads the coverage and fires a pass that hits Bengals’ cornerback Darqueze Dennard in the hands who drops the clean pick-six opportunity.

Week 6 vs. Browns: Watson fires a pass directly to CB Jason McCourty along the sideline while trying to throw the ball away under pressure. Potential interception is broken up by WR Deandre Hopkins

Week 3 vs. Patriots: Watson doesn’t feel pressure and fumbles in the pocket with OT Chris Clark falling on the ball for the recovery.

Week 1 vs. Jaguars: Watson misreads the coverage in the red zone and throws an interception right to linebacker Myles Jack, but the play is negated by an illegal hands to the face penalty by the Jaguars.

He’s also had interception luck, sure-handed receivers, and questionable work in the pocket that has either padded or gone unnoticed on the stat sheet.

He plays good at times but he’s been extremely lucky and I still say he is a sell high right now.

Tex
Lol. You're a strange bird. You think these things never happened to other quarterbacks? Sometimes you make a great throw and your receiver drops it. Sometimes you make a terrible throw, and you get away with it because the defender drops it. That's just the game buddy.  Watson just threw for over 400 yards, with four touchdown passes, and over 50 yards rushing against a tremendous Seattle defense on the road. Richard Sherman said it was the best performance by an opposing quarterback in Seattle that he has ever witnessed. It's one thing to be late to the party, but it's another thing to be ignorant enough to pretend there is no party at all. 

Lol. You're a strange bird. You think these things never happened to other quarterbacks? Sometimes you make a great throw and your receiver drops it. Sometimes you make a terrible throw, and you get away with it because the defender drops it. That's just the game buddy.  Watson just threw for over 400 yards, with four touchdown passes, and over 50 yards rushing against a tremendous Seattle defense on the road. Richard Sherman said it was the best performance by an opposing quarterback in Seattle that he has ever witnessed. It's one thing to be late to the party, but it's another thing to be ignorant enough to pretend there is no party at all. 
I'm not sure GK is denigrating Watson as much as others seem to assume he is. When I've watched Watson, I've had similar reservations. Kids a fantasy gold mine right now, and will be around a good long time, but (IMHO) he's not as good as his numbers to date. He's electric and fun, but more turnovers are coming, as well as some bad games. Top 10 for fantasy? Right now, yes. If I had to pick 5 guys to bet they'd be top 10 five years from now, I'm not so sure he makes my list. He'd be a sell high for me too (probably in the off-season: I'd have my fingers crossed it continued this year so I could ride him to a playoff berth! ;) ), but that's not such a big deal in the end. If we all thought the same thing there'd be no point in playing this silly fantasy game!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not ignorant nor am I a strange bird. He’s very athletic I mean he won a college championship and Hell Im a big fan of Clemson as I have Hopkins and M. Williams on my team but I stand by what I said, he’s not as good as his numbers indicate. He could be figuring it out and could improve but no one is giving those receivers enough credit. They have MUCH to do with his success it’s not all Watson like everyone is saying.

Tex

Probably by a fairly large margin at this point.  Alex Smith was probably in the conversation a few weeks ago, but not anymore.  Brady is having another Brady-year. He's in contention. Watson may have been if he kept it up and Houston made the playoffs. 

Ok I’m very nervous right now. Playoffs next week and I’ve been envisioning this guy carrying me over the threshold. 

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 11m11 minutes ago

Eagles are concerned QB Carson Wentz tore his left ACL, per source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 11m11 minutes ago

Eagles are concerned QB Carson Wentz tore his left ACL, per source.
Hate to be Debbie Downer but "concerned he tore ACL" generally means "we know he did but won't officially announce it until after the MRI tomorrow".

Almost hate to bring this up so soon after the injury, but what do people think of Foles as a fantasy replacement? He still has all those weapons plus two good matchups (@NYG, OAK).

In a 16-teamer so not much out there. Jimmy G is OK for next week but finishes with Jax. Actually, most of the WW QBs have bad matchups.

Crushing blow for keeper leagues too if it’s a torn ACL. Means he’s likely going to miss  a good chunk of next year.

Almost hate to bring this up so soon after the injury, but what do people think of Foles as a fantasy replacement? He still has all those weapons plus two good matchups (@NYG, OAK).

In a 16-teamer so not much out there. Jimmy G is OK for next week but finishes with Jax. Actually, most of the WW QBs have bad matchups.
Should do fine except I see them running it more than usual.

Crushing blow for keeper leagues too if it’s a torn ACL. Means he’s likely going to miss  a good chunk of next year.
I thought the bounce back time was alot quicker, what are we reasonably looking at? If you got him at good value you probably still keep don't you think?

I thought the bounce back time was alot quicker, what are we reasonably looking at? If you got him at good value you probably still keep don't you think?
I guess it depends on one’s league/team and the opportunity cost of forgoing other keepers. And for all we know, he may be scrambling less when he comes back.

Users who are viewing this thread