What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Braxton Miller, WR Thread (1 Viewer)

Bojang0301

Omar4Heisman
QB convert to WR/H-Back this year. Taking care of business at the Senior Bowl practices, discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Notes: Braxton Miller turned in another tremendous performance on Tuesday. It's not just that Braxton is fast or catches the ball well, it's the fact he's easily picked up the nuances of the receiver position in such a short period of time. Miller, who entered the draft with a third round grade, has moved into the early part of round two."

http://m.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Paulines-Senior-Bowl-Recap-Wednesday/f88aa023-3629-4fdb-9aa3-cd17d7ff0ad8
Interesting. What's his fantasy upside?

The words these articles use to describe are different than what you see with a lot of these QB converts...very little about him being "raw" and not as much of a focus on the athleticism. They are talking about his hands, and how his route running is good. That is the stuff I like to hear.

I say this in all seriousness...the best thing you can hear about WRs looking to enter the league is that they can catch the ball.

How many guys learned to catch AFTER they're drafted? Every time I can remember hearing about a guy having all the tools (routes, speed, release, agility) BUT hands the guy has been a flame out.

I'm buying. Feel like he is going to be underrated in dynasty drafts going behind a lot of guys that are flyers at best. Just go watch a couple videos of his route running at the senior bowl practices, the dude is scary athletic and VERY sudden/smooth in his breaks and double moves. Can't wait to see him in the NFL.

I could see him as a Randall Cobb/Percy Harvin like player to start out. That's not a bad thing, despite their injury history, both have had great PPG over the course of their career. If his route running is as good as the pundits are saying, maybe he will do better than I anticipate. I did think the OSU offense did not always use their players to the strengths they had.

Especially with the way the game is played now. Players that can get the ball quickly, in more than one way, just seems to have more value these days. Tavon Austin, Cobb.

Seems like he's pushing towards a 2nd round pick.

massraider said:
Seems like he's pushing towards a 2nd round pick.
I was waiting for someone to start a thread about this guy because I was reading weeks ago by various ex-scouts who either had him in their top 50 overall players or said comments like he goes top 60. All this before the Senior Bowl where he's done nothing but draw positive raves.

I think the last time we saw a college QB switch to WR and have a chance to go this high it was Matt Jones but Jones played no WR in college and they are totally different players. Either way I'm intrigued and I think he's going to end up being drafted a lot higher than people think, top 40 is what I see and that does not even feel at all like a going out on a limb prediction.

I watched the two 2015 videos of him on Draft Breakdown, and he plays fast and came down with a couple tough catches. Got open deep a few times but the QB was already scrambling. Biggest negative was he didn't want to block at all. Seems like more of a deep threat than a Percy Harvin type. Didn't see him get open on quick routes much in any of the clips but maybe that's more how Meyer used him. Will be interested if his explosion combine numbers like shuttles and 10 yd are elite or just 40.

Rotoworld:

At Wednesday's Senior Bowl session, Ohio State WR Braxton Miller "did a great job of creating separation during one-on-one drills — the only plays during which he wasn’t open, he was being held — and looked very quick when running routes," according to Pro Football Focus.

"Miller is going to be an interesting prospect for us to evaluate, because he posted only a slightly above-average grade, but did so on a relatively low number of targets (38, of which he caught 26)," the site noted. "He stood out for his elusiveness, however, forcing 16 missed tackles on 68 touches as a runner and receiver this season — which is an excellent rate. He also only dropped one pass all season long, alleviating any concerns some might have about the converted QB’s hands." The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Miller continues to draw rave reviews at the event for his athleticism. Rotoworld's Josh Norris says Miller's "movement is special at a position that can benefit from an athletic advantage."

Source: Pro Football Focus

Jan 28 - 1:15 PM
Rotoworld's Josh Norris says Ohio State WR Braxton Miller's "movement is special at a position that can benefit from an athletic advantage."

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Miller has drawn positively rave reviews for his athleticism, though evaluators are still trying to get a grasp on how much growth he has left in terms of technical refinement. "Braxton Miller was obviously a hot topic," Norris reported from the Senior Bowl. "From the first game of the season you could see natural receiving skills, namely catching the ball away from his body after adjusting to make the catch. Sadly, the step back in quarterback play for Ohio State limited Miller’s effectiveness, and I think it made Urban Meyer resort to more manufactured touches. Miller is not a finished product, but his movement is special at a position that can benefit from an athletic advantage."

Source: Rotoworld

Jan 28 - 10:17 AM

IF he went to Atlanta how long before he became the clear number 2 WR? Depth chart or production.

Rotoworld:

Per CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang, "no player drew more wows from the crowd this week" than Ohio State WR Braxton Miller.

"Miller is simply a different level of athlete than the other receivers attending this year's Senior Bowl," Rang wrote, "showing great quickness, balance and reaction time to generate separation and make eye-popping receptions appear routine." The analyst had two real points of critique: First, the 6-foot-2, 215-pound converted-quarterback remains raw in the finer points of receiving. Second, he's shown durability issues at times with the Buckeyes. Both of these things are true, but Miller's Senior Bowl practice week has been widely viewed as a smashing success.

Source: CBS Sports

Jan 29 - 8:41 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah noted that it was "impossible to ignore [Ohio State WR Braxton Miller's] suddenness in his release as well as his ability to find another gear when the ball is in the air."

Jeremiah wrote that Miller "doesn't have any physical limitations" and highlighted one practice play in particular. "He made one ridiculous catch on the sideline where he completely spun around and plucked the ball away from his frame," wrote Jeremiah of the 6-foot-2, 215-pound prospect. "That was all I needed to see. He's going to figure it all out at the next level and he's going to be a stud." Miller will need to continue to work on his route-running (no surprise that that's his weakest area given his newness to the position), but scouts have loved what they've seen of the quarterback-turned-wideout in the early going.

Source: NFL.com

Jan 29 - 2:47 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw that Pittsburgh, KC and NE were attached somehow to Miller.

If Pittsburgh is interested than KC and NE should be too - in terms of scouting gotta give Pittsburgh some credit.

I think we have our first huge riser. I will say that OSU's QB play was subpar and there were times Braxton was open that they either didn't see him or wildly overthrew him. I'm excited by his potential. Hopefully he goes somewhere where he can have time to grow and a great QB.

Hoping he goes to a good team so he doesn't have to be thrust into the #1 option right away but we shall see where he lands. Excited for his continued development, even though I'm super excited about him as an athlete/prospect I don't think we can ignore some of the flaws still in his game. Should be interesting

I say this in all seriousness...the best thing you can hear about WRs looking to enter the league is that they can catch the ball.

How many guys learned to catch AFTER they're drafted? Every time I can remember hearing about a guy having all the tools (routes, speed, release, agility) BUT hands the guy has been a flame out.
Jon Ledyard ‏@LedyardNFLDraft
Nobody talks about it, but Braxton dropped his share of passes this week in practice. Still getting used to catching the ball

-----------------------

Ravens #6th pick
‏@lukepizzy23
@TDavenport_NFL @WelfareWaster but can you trust campanaro always injured I would rather have Braxton Miller better upside
URRON DAVENPORT@TDavenport_NFL 1h1 hour ago
TURRON DAVENPORT Retweeted ravens #6th pick

Braxton Miller has way more to work on than you may think. When healthy, Campanaro is a matchup nightmare.

Rotoworld:

Ohio State WR Braxton Miller "spent the better part of [senior Bowl] week turning defensive backs around with incredible route-running, while also dazzling in individual agility drills," writes ESPN's Todd McShay.

"He was the best pure athlete on the field all week -- and he looked natural catching the ball, considering he's just a year removed from playing quarterback," McShay wrote. He graded Miller as the No. 11 prospect he evaluated at the Senior Bowl. A panel of NFL scouts named Miller the Senior Bowl Practice Player of the Week. Miller recently went No. 24 to the Bengals in Chad Reuter's four-round mock draft, an indication of how quickly his stock is rising.

Source: ESPN Insider

Feb 1 - 6:15 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Matt Bowen heard Ohio State WR Braxton Miller being compared to Percy Harvin at the Senior Bowl.

"We are talking about a dynamic player," Bowen wrote. "But Miller has a much bigger pro frame and plays with a noticeable toughness on the field. This isn't a 'gadget' guy in the playbook. Nah, he's a true football player." The analyst also believes Miller brings with him inherent roster flexibility options. "Given his experience playing quarterback in college, smart organizations will use Miller as a No. 3 quarterback on the gameday roster, design specific schemes for him on two-point opportunities (QB-designed runs) and get him the ball in a variety of ways," he wrote. If Miller tests well at the combine, Bowen thinks he'll get a second-round grade.

Source: ESPN Insider
Feb 2 - 5:02 PM

Rotoworld:

In Monday's mock draft, CBS Sports draft analyst Dane Brugler slotted Ohio State WR Braxton Miller to the Bengals with the 24th pick in the first round.

"With Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu set to hit free agency, the Bengals could have a need at receiver this off-season," Brugler wrote, adding that "Miller, who grew up about an hour outside of Cincinnati, is still very raw as a wideout but his special athleticism was on display during the Senior Bowl" While most draft analysts have shied away from projecting Miller into the first round, Brugler's not completely alone here. Indeed, NFL Media's Chad Reuter plotted him identically to the Bengals in a late January mock. Meanwhile, ESPN's Matt Bowen has indicated that he believes that a strong combine showing would boost Miller to the second round.

My main concern is his hands. During the senior bowl and the week leading up he had few drops on easy passes. It's a higher stress situation than normal since it's one of the first big chances for scouts/nfl coaches to view the kids close up, but he didn't look like a 1st round WR to me. The NFL doesn't take the time to teach players technique as much as they should, could hamper him at the next level.

I could see him being a 2nd rounder, and successful, but I could also see him having drop issues in the NFL.

Rotoworld:

In Monday's mock draft, CBS Sports draft analyst Dane Brugler slotted Ohio State WR Braxton Miller to the Bengals with the 24th pick in the first round.

"With Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu set to hit free agency, the Bengals could have a need at receiver this off-season," Brugler wrote, adding that "Miller, who grew up about an hour outside of Cincinnati, is still very raw as a wideout but his special athleticism was on display during the Senior Bowl" While most draft analysts have shied away from projecting Miller into the first round, Brugler's not completely alone here. Indeed, NFL Media's Chad Reuter plotted him identically to the Bengals in a late January mock. Meanwhile, ESPN's Matt Bowen has indicated that he believes that a strong combine showing would boost Miller to the second round.
Over-compensating, perhaps.

Had a drop in the actual game too didn't he?
A few drops last season too. He needs to calm down and take what the game is giving him. He to do to much at times and it hurts him.
Agreed, it looks like most of his drops are because he's already turning his head to see where he's going before he catches the ball.

Apparently there was word at the senior bowl that the Steelers are interested in Miller in the 2nd round. The Chiefs and NE were reported to show 2nd round interest, but if things remain as is the Steelers would have the first crack at him.

Can you imagine him learning from AB for several years? He'd start out as the WR4 or 5 which would probably be best for him for his development. The WR factory (aka the Steelers) would pump out another top 15 fantasy WR in a couple years. Either he'd stay with the team while other talent departs, or he'd move on to be a #1 guy somewhere else.

College Football 24/7 writer Chase Goodbread noted that "[w]ith more than 300 prospects in Indianapolis, there might not be anyone whose combine performance will be more heavily anticipated than that of [Ohio State WR Braxton Miller]."
"[Miller] was dynamic at 215 pounds at OSU," Goodbread writes, "but trimmed down to 204 for the Reese's Senior Bowl to help facilitate even more explosiveness." The analyst also notes that "[h]is minimum expectation in the 40-yard dash is in the low 4.3s." This is all well and good, but we're not sure how much the combine will truly affect the 6-foot-2, 204-pound athletic dynamo's draft stock. He's already considered one of the most athletic players in this pool and some mock drafts now have him scratching the first round. Regardless, he could put up some spicy testing results.

Source: NFL.com 
Feb 14 - 7:24 PM

Rotoworld:

Braxton Miller - QB -  Buckeyes

Ohio State WR Braxton Miller has "a chance to solidify himself as a top-50 selection" at this week's Combine, believes ESPN's Kevin Weidl.
"He put together quality tape this fall, but he really caught scouts' eyes at the Senior Bowl, where he exceeded expectations as a route runner with his ball skills," Weidl wrote. "Miller is one of the more explosive athletes in this class and is expected to test well during the workout portion. He has a chance to solidify himself as a top-50 selection, which is significantly higher than the Day 3 projection he would have held if he had remained a quarterback." Miller recently stated his goal of running a 4.28 40-yard dash in Indy. We know he's put up a 4.36 before. Anything in the 4.3s would be just dandy, but getting into the 4.2s would certainly steam his sleeper Rd. 1 hype.

Source: ESPN.com 
Feb 23 - 7:44 PM

Users who are viewing this thread