What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 WSL2 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Mr. Irrelevant

IBL Representative
Pretty dramatic drop-off after the first 6 (top 4 WR, Bell, and Gronk) this year IMO ... I'd have rather been closer to the turn.

I'd probably be gun-shy about grabbing Gurley in the top half of the 1st in a regular league, but if I'm ever gonna win one of these things I might as well put my chips behind the high-ceiling guy.

Just mentioning I will be a backup if someone bails on this draft.

My assumption is your good, especially if you get at least one pick from everyone, unless I hear otherwise.

Have a good draft.

Sweet Love said:
Gents,

So sorry for missing my pick. I had one of those weekends. It won't happen again

-SL
Me too. I don't think I've ever timed out in these leagues. Just turned out to be a really bad weekend to check in. Add to that my work email now apparently has a max limit and I didn't get any emails over the weekend. Spent all morning clearing up space. So now ready to go.

I kind of think peoples clocks get a pass until they know the draft has started. After that fair game.
You posted in the signup thread on the same day WSL1 started.....you had to know (after all these years) that WSL2 would be starting very soon afterward. Fair game.

Pick made, shadowfax PM'ed.

NOTE: I have an interview today in the afternoon, so if this happens to move super fast, I may be out of the loop. Obviously skip me if my timer runs out, but I will pick (I will not disappear).

1.07 - Todd Gurley, RB LA
2.10 - Brandin Cooks, WR NO

1st - Being in WSL2 we all got a sneak preview courtesy of WSL1 of what to expect, i.e. WR's coming off the board fast and furious ... so if it were any RB other than Gurley I probably would opt to go WR here. But I couldn't pass up 1,106/10 in 12 starts despite playing on the worst offense this Eagles fan has witnessed since the Bobby Hoying / Koy Detmer tag-team of the late '90s. Some risk but virtually unlimited ceiling.

2nd - I feel like WRs in PPR formats these days are like SPs in fantasy baseball ... you can do just fine without a super-stud, but you better make sure you get at least one top-20 guy. Among the bottom half of this group I think Cooks has the highest floor. Saints are in serious cap trouble so bringing in a big-name FA WR is out of the question, meaning Cooks ought to be their de facto #1 again in '16.

Wow, I signed up for this and COMPLETELY forgot about it. Paid no attention to private messages and everything, so for that, I apologize!

Guys,

Is there a way in the system that I can have an email sent to my hotmail account when I get PM'ed? If so, how?

@SL - I set it up like 3 years ago so don't quote me here, but AFAIK you just go into "My Settings" -> "Notification Options" and check the "E-mail" boxes for the line items under the "Personal Messages" section.

BusMan said:
I always seem to draft an excellent previous season team in the WSLs.
So does Ref ... and he certainly seems to do well in these things ...

In fact I bet that if someone chose ahead of time which position they wanted to fill in each round, and then at their pick just took last year's highest scorer remaining at that position (except for guys like Megatron, etc.), they would win these leagues more than 1/16th of the time.

It can be pretty humbling to look back at my prior year's WSLs and PDSLs and how I was reaching for "sure-fire breakouts" like Charles Johnson, Jerick McKinnon, Terrance West, Josh Hill, etc., while passing over guys like Gore, Decker, Woodhead, Sanders, who do nothing but put up consistent numbers year after year after ....

QB: Newton (3)

RB: Gurley (1), Lacy (4)

WR: Cooks (2)

TE: J. Thomas (5)

Well above-average backfield starters, well below-average pass catchers at the 1/4 pole.

Having the two extra rounds in these early drafts might be my salvation here because I'm gonna need to substitute quantity for quality at WR.

Pick Pos Name WSL 1 DP01.15 WR Alshon Jeffrey 01.1402.02 WR Brandon Marshall 02.0103.15 WR Larry Fitzgerald 04.0304.02 RB Danny Woodhead 06.1205.15 TE Jimmy Graham 04.04Starting with three WRs might be an overreaction to the extreme volatility at the RB position in 2015, but the reliability of this core pass catching trio is like a fresh-from-the-dryer blanket on a cold winter's day.

Woodhead was a reach but I strongly desired the PPR stud RB.

Graham I might've snagged at his ceiling, especially given the possible floor when you consider his overall situation: strong, valid concerns surrounding a recovery from a patellar tendon tear, plus a team that doesn't quite seem to know to do with him just yet. That said, I wanted to make sure I got him in from of Stinkin Ref, who has yet to pick a TE.

Meh...not a big deal really unless I took somebody you wanted at the turn... not touching Graham ....his injury ala Cruz and situation is not something I want to mess with (in a draft this early)...draft spot dictated I pass somewhere and (TE) was it...I get the theory that you have to gamble to win sometimes (especially in leagues like this this early)...but sometimes you really don't.....right now I'll be happy to let others take Graham and let something else fall to me....

Last edited by a moderator:
1.08 (08) - D. Johnson, ARI | RB3

2.09 (25) - K. Benjamin, CAR | WR17

3.09 (40) - J. Gordon, CLE | WR23

4.09 (57) - G. Barnidge, CLE | TE8

5.08 (72) - J. Langford, CHI | RB19

6.09 (89) - E. Manning, NYG | QB13

After 6 rounds

QB:

RB: Yelden(3), Gordon(6)

WR: Green(1), Matthews(4), Calvin(5)

TE: Olsen(2)

No QB yet but not worried about that with QBBC out there still available

RB: I really wanted Forte but took the known position in Yelden. Just think Matt has something left and would have loved him in 5th but came up one pick short

WR: Calvin either really gets me far or I most take some extra WR's. Green and Jordan Matthews are a nice 1-2 punch. Compared to WSL1, Calvin could be great value. I really think he plays this year

TE: I wanted a stud in this format and I got one. Glad I went early with Olsen considering what came back for WR but not for TE.

For taking a big risk, I still dont mind what I got going on

Pick Pos Name WSL 1 DP01.15 WR Alshon Jeffrey 01.1402.02 WR Brandon Marshall 02.0103.15 WR Larry Fitzgerald 04.0304.02 RB Danny Woodhead 06.1205.15 TE Jimmy Graham 04.0406.02 QB Tony Romo 05.0707.15 TE Jason Witten 07.1008.02 RB Theo Riddick 07.14Starting with three WRs might be an overreaction to the extreme volatility at the RB position in 2015, but the reliability of this core pass catching trio is like a fresh-from-the-dryer blanket on a cold winter's day.

Woodhead was a reach but I strongly desired the PPR stud RB.

Graham I might've snagged at his ceiling, especially given the possible floor when you consider his overall situation: strong, valid concerns surrounding a recovery from a patellar tendon tear, plus a team that doesn't quite seem to know to do with him just yet. That said, I wanted to make sure I got him in from of Stinkin Ref, who has yet to pick a TE.
Clear at this point that I'm in bed with RBs who are only viable this early in a PPR league.

I'm likely over committed to the ageing/fragile QB/TE combo in Dallas.

QB: Newton (3), Taylor (8)

RB: Gurley (1), Lacy (4)

WR: Cooks (2), D. Jackson (6), Diggs (7)

TE: J. Thomas (5)

Well above-average backfield starters, well below-average pass catchers at the 1/4 pole.

Having the two extra rounds in these early drafts might be my salvation here because I'm gonna need to substitute quantity for quality at WR.
Feeling a lot better about my WR corps than I did three rounds ago. D-Jax is a prototypical best-ball guy whose big weeks can win immunities, while Diggs flashed lots of promise in what I hope will be a flashier Viking offense next year.

No point in getting a consistently mediocre QB with Cam atop my depth chart so I rolled the dice on T-Mobile, who's got more 35+ point potential than all but a handful of other QBs.

qb matt ryan, winston

rb charles, l miller, dixon,

wr dez, moncrief, kev white, benjamin, doctson

te maxx williams

pk seattle, green bay

dt new england

so unlike me at wr, i usually swarm to the old proven guys. Glad I waited at te. 

A little concerned at rb with Charles but love in the middle of the 2nd here and hopefully Miller winds up somewhere where they will use his skillz.

QB: Newton (3), Taylor (8)
RB: Gurley (1), Lacy (4), J. Allen (9)
WR: Cooks (2), D. Jackson (6), Diggs (7), Wheaton (10), Kearse (12)
TE: J. Thomas (5), Cameron (11)

K: Santos (13)
I could have (and probably should have) punted RB3 for another round or two once Ruds sniped Vereen from me.  Still think Buck has a chance to deliver some real value - with Forsett carrying a $4M cap hit, there's a chance the Ravens may move on. Even if they don't, Allen will get a healthy share of touches and is the clear next man up in case of (yet another) Forsett injury. 

Experience in these leagues has taught me that it's usually better to have the #3 WR on a really good offense than the #1 on a really bad one. Bonus if that #3 is a big play waiting to happen, as with Wheaton.  I don't expect Kearse to be back in Seattle next year, and there are plenty of other destinations that will overpay him to be their #2 and throw the ball more than 400-odd times next season.

With Cameron, I now have two TEs with A-grade talent and D-grade injury and offensive histories. If they can combine for 20 games this year they should put up top-3 numbers at a fraction of the price of a top-3 TE.

As for Santos, he's got a job, and it'll be a cold day in hell before Andy Reid starts going for it on 4th-and-2 from the 15.

So far a solidly middle-of-the-pack team, with seven rounds of assorted sleepers and dart throws still to come.

QB - Big Ben, Cutler

RB - Elliot, McFadden, West, Thompson, White

WR -  OBJ, Cobb, Lockett, Perriman, Dorsett, Coleman, Fuller, Hardy

TE - Walker, Davis

D - Denver

K - Bailey

5.16 Drew Brees QB10 NOS

16.01 Robert Griffin III QB31 WAS

Knew when I passed on QB at the 3-4 turn that I was gambling a little, but seeing guys like Brees, etc. that were still available made me glad I waited. Had DeMarco not been available I probably would have gone QB/QB here at 5-6 as I wasn’t excited about the TE’s left. Feel good about Brees keeping me in the mix most weeks. I feel RG3 is playing and starting elsewhere next year so while he does not seem like a solid QB2 right now, I think that changes.

3.16 Latavius Murray RB12 OAK

4.01 CJ Anderson RB13 DEN

6.01 DeMarco Murray RB24 PHI

7.16 Karlos Williams RB31 BUF

At the 3-4 turn, as expected RB value was available. Feel last year (RB10) was LM’s floor and things may get better as that offense improves.  Having been burned by the DEN RB’s for the last couple of years, my gut still says CJ will be the man in Kubiak’s offense.  Hillman (FA) may move on and I see CJ being the workhorse. While the images of Forte in NE or DAL were tempting, his future uncertain at this point, so went with two guys who should be locked in.  Felt Forte was great value for Norse in 5th round though. Not sold on Hyde yet, and who knows about Lacy. Seeing Demarco sitting there at the 5-6 turn was too hard to pass up.  Made that pick on talent alone, hoping he finds a scheme that lets him do his thing. Think you can do worse at RB24, and hope to write last year off as a blip on the radar. Karlos will be on many of my teams this year.  When he played he averaged over 11 points a game, more than guys like Gio, CJ Anderson, Lacy, Gordon, etc.  While Shady is definitely good enough to keep it a committee type situation, I think Karlos gets his each week. I think I get 2 above average RB scores here each week and felt very little need to add a 5th.

1.16 Demaryius Thomas WR10 DEN

2.01 Jordy Nelson WR GB11

8.01 Tavon Austin WR48 LAR

9.16 Kendall Wright WR58 TEN

13.16 Chris Conley WR KC71

14.01 Brandon Coleman WR72 NOS

19.16 J.J. Nelson WR101 ARZ

At the first turn I was pretty committed to going WR/WR as I felt based on WSL1, RB value could be had later in the draft. My top two here were pretty easy.  While DT has regressed some (and may continue) and Jordy is coming back from injury I think they are pretty solid at the top of this group. DT will still get his and Jordy should be Jordy. Only other consideration here was Charles, but as a life long KC fan I have lived through every one of his runs and found myself saying “please get up” after every play.  While I have missed out on many fantasy points passing on him in drafts for this reason, it is the path I chose to take with him.  He is tough but his body type takes a beating.  I also felt coming off his injury and the position he plays, handcuffing him would be a must and take some investment later that I didn’t want to commit to and really don’t know who it will be. Knile Davis owners from last year know what I am talking about. Austin is a nice play in best ball, not crazy about him in weekly starting lineup leagues, but he did average over 12 points a week in this format and finished as WR28.  If he improves even a little, I have a steal, if not, as shown last year, he is still likely to outplay WR48 where he was drafted here. Big play ability makes him a best ball stud. RG3 to the Rams would be nice for him. Had Witten locked and loaded at this turn, but Busman took him one pick before me, so Austin would not have been on this team as I would have gone Witten/Karlos. Last year seemed like a down year for Wright averaging just under 10 points a week.  Not much value in this pick, but he was dinged a little last year.  I expect him and MM to get on the same page.  13-14 turn felt like a good time to snag a couple guys I really like.  Wanted both of these guys in WSL1 but missed.  Colston should be gone soon and Coleman has the goods to step in.  I think in drafts that take place just before the season starts, his ADP will be much higher. I expect Conley to take that next step and be what KC drafted him for.  I like what KC has going with Maclin/Conley. Think this turn got me a couple guys who will drastically outplay their draft position. Didn’t know how others valued them heading into WSL1, so with that in mind now, decided I better not wait and snagged them here. Plan was to then go Allen/Gilmore at TE in 15-16. J.J. Nelson at the last turn seemed like an ideal pick in this format.  His big play ability is perfect in this format.  He came on towards the end of last year. 

10.01 Heath Miller TE20 PIT

15.16 Dwayne Allen TE30 FA

17.16 Jacob Tamme TE31 ATL

20.01 Luke Wilson TE38 SEA

Ouch.  Miller retiring after my pick hurt.  Guess I should have done some more research, but I had no idea that was even a possibility. Maybe he changes his mind, but if not maybe they sign Allen.  I could deal with that.  Allen wants to go somewhere where he can be the man, and I think some teams will give him that opportunity.  Why not PIT? Is Jesse James that special? Anyway once I realized I was screwed here I knew I needed to make a plan for some damage control, even though the pickins were going to be slim.  I wasn’t however going to make a knee jerk reaction and panic and just pick TE’s with my next few picks.  WSL1 showed me I could wait as there may not be much difference between what was left in the 12-15 part of the draft and the 18-20 part of the draft.  So I still wanted to make sure I didn’t go off track.  Had to snag a DST at 11-12 turn and then also implement part of my damage control plan, by selecting the best PK in the league.  The thought was I am going to go ahead and commit to one PK, freeing up spot for a TE by committee approach, maybe drafting as many as 3 TE’s to cover Miller retiring. Rudnicki did throw a wrench in Plan A by taking my boy Gilmore in the 14th ####### round. He lasted till the 16th and was my pick there in WSL1.  Probably shouldn’t have pimped him in WSL1 write up.  Tamme finished as TE13 in this format last year, so a decent part of damage control added. In the 20th round, it came down to Chandler or Wilson, and I decided to roll with Luke as Graham may not come back and even if he does they will be careful with him.  IIRC Graham has the same injury that Victor Cruz suffered, and that injury takes more time to come back from. Wilson could be Tamme like, and has shown that Russell will look to him when he plays. Even without the retirement, I probably should have addressed TE earlier. Need the ham and egg special here.

12.01 Stephen Gostkowski PK1 NE

If you’re gonna go solo………

11.16 Kansas City Chief DST3

16.01 Jacksonville Jaguars DST24

Meh…KC kinda of a homer pick, but a solid DST with some big play potential. Gut call on JAC getting better.

Overall: I like this team a lot better than my WSL1 team, but it has some holes and is dependent on things playing out like Brees having another solid year, being right about RG3, and my TE’s ham and egging it. Conley and Coleman coming through could help cover up some of the warts, as could Allen landing in a good spot.  20 rounds made the Miller retirement easier to recover from than 18. Wasn’t snipped too much outside of Witten and Gilmore.

Good luck.  :banned:

3.07 - Cam Newton, QB CAR | QB1
8.10 - Tyrod Taylor, QB BUF | QB23

Here are Cam's fantasy ranks at QB in his four full seasons: 3, 4, 3, 1 (that "1" coming with a sorry-### WR corps that Benjamin's return will instantly upgrade). Just as Mike Trout adjusted to lots of high heat by trading contact for power, I think DC's will try to keep Cam contained in the pocket and he'll respond by setting career highs through the air. Had my eye on T-Mobile all along as my backup, as he's got the tools and weapons to drop the occasional 35-40 point bomb in a format where his more common 15-pointers won't hurt me. If the Bills snap back to reality and extend Taylor before this summer - seriously, why wouldn't they? - I think his ADP works its way up into the mid-teens. A

1.07 - Todd Gurley, RB LA | RB2
4.10 - Eddie Lacy, RB GB | RB15
9.07 - Javorious Allen, RB BAL | RB40
14.10 - David Cobb, RB TEN | RB53

The case for Gurley is easy ... 1,106/10, in 12 starts, playing on the worst offense this Eagle fan has witnessed since the Bobby Hoying / Koy Detmer tag-team #### show of the late '90s. I've been burned by 1st-round RBs coming off one good season before, but Gurley is too special to pass up at 7th overall. After that pick I thought I'd go full-scale RB2BC, but couldn't pass up Lacy falling to me this late; he'll be healed up, has committed to drop 30 pounds, and is in a contract year. Buck Allen was a consolation prize for me as I was really hoping for Vereen here ... Forsett isn't getting any younger and carries a $4M cap hit, but even if the Ravens don't ax him I can see something like a 60/40 split in that backfield. I have no idea if Cobb has the talent to hold a starting gig, but the Titans won't be drafting an RB in the 1st, might grab an OT to shore up their run support - and in the 14th round, beggars can't be choosers when a guy has a halfway decent chance to be a Week 1 starter. B

2.10 - Brandin Cooks, WR NO | WR18
6.10 - DeSean Jackson, WR WAS | WR40
7.07 - Stefon Diggs, WR MIN | WR47
10.10 - Markus Wheaton, WR PIT | WR60
12.10 - Jermaine Kearse, WR SEA | WR69
16.10 - Seth Roberts, WR OAK | WR81
20.10 - Leonte Carroo, WR ROOK | WR104

These days, the WR position is like the SP position in fantasy baseball - you don't need to reach for OBJ or Kershaw, but you better make sure you get at least one top-20 guy. Among the guys left at 2.10 I think Cooks represents the safest bet in PPR, especially since the Saints don't have cap space to bring in a big-name FA WR (not that there are a whole lot of those out there this year). I intended to take another WR at 3.07, but the likes of Maclin, Baldwin, Fitz didn't excite me ... I mulled Josh Gordon over for a while, but ultimately decided there was still too much time 'til Week 1 to risk a season-long zero out of my 3rd-rounder. Pretty sure I've owned a share of D-Jax every year in these leagues even though I rarely own him in standard formats. Give me a guy who puts up 20+ 5-6 times a year and I'll draft the depth to work around his 3-4 point weeks and the occasional DNP. Love Diggs here for the same reasons, especially if (as I expect) Minny starts to take Bridgewater's kid gloves off in 2016. Rest of the guys are young and talented but in uncertain situations; individually none of them are on my "must draft" list, but collectively, I should end up pretty well off even if I get two hits and two misses out of the 4. B-

5.07 - Julius Thomas, TE JAX | TE9
11.07 - Jordan Cameron, TE MIA | TE25
19.07 - Jace Amaro, TE NYJ | TE35

I didn't plan it this way but I think I scored the gold and silver medalists in the "White Elephant TE Contract" award. The Jags and Fins are paying these guys a combined $17M this year; hopefully between them they can stay on the field and cobble together something resembling top-half output. The Jets won't have a ton of cap space once Fitz is resigned and they're probably going to cut Cumberland, so Amaro might wind up being a nice little sleeper as the likely #1 TE in a short-passing offense. B-

13.07 - Cairo Santos, PK KC | PK11
17.07 - Roberto Aguayo, PK ROOK | PK25

Santos wasn't good enough for me to roll solo, but good enough that I felt able to roll the dice on Aguayo, who as the highest-drafted PK in years is going to get every benefit of the doubt, whatever camp he ends up in. Average pairing with limited downside. C+

15.07 - Colts, DST IND | DS17
18.10 - Falcons, DST ATL | DS30

Defenses are never a priority for me in these ... too volatile and not predictable enough to waste much draft capital on IMO. Even so, in the Colts and Falcons I landed two squads with adequate talent playing in soft divisions.  D+

Overall: Given the nature of these drafts and the skill level of the participants, I'm always relieved when I feel like I came away with no glaring holes. Good depth everywhere but RB, though I think after this season we might be putting Gurley into that "counts as 1.5 all by himself" bucket. My biggest risk is the same as it usually is for my teams ... lots of youth and not much in the way of solid, unsexy vets. I could bust out all over the place and finally take a Survivor League title down or get bounced before the leaves change color ... neither would surprise me.

Best of luck to all.

QB: Stafford(7), Flacco(9)

RB: Yelden(3), Gordon(6), Henry(8), Carey(17), Perkins(20)

WR: Green(1), Matthews(4), Calvin(5), Torrey Smith(11), J Strong(12), M. Sanu(15), A. Johnson(19)

TE: Olsen(2), Rudolph(10)

PK: Zuerlien(13), Franks(18)

D: Bengals(14)Bucs(16)

QB: I am very happy with this duo with waiting on them. I think Stafford can blow up anytime and think Flacco is always underrated and makes excellent #2 QB. I almost took Gabbert in last round because I think he does very well under Chip Kelly and he will get drafted in the future drafts. I did this with McCown last year in one draft and it helped the cause usually more than the other guys you draft. I personally like Gabbert over Griffin. Overall B

RB: It is a young group and hope it comes through. I see Yelden improving and think Gordon can also if SD stays healthy this year. Henry is going to get touches Mostly TD's but that is pretty good for this format. I think Langford is average and splits time with Carey who will get TD's also. Perkins is a shot in the dark but he could get carries for sure. Overall B-

WR: Okay this group all hinges on Calvin. If he plays I love the group. If he does not than i got some issues. I thought Torrey is a complete steal  I was liking Strong but that hurt with the marijuana charge hurting his cause. Sanu sounds like he might start and provide help. I know Andre is old but I think he really prepares this off-season and comes back and has a little bit of a rejuvanation. Overall. With Calvin and Strong A-. Without C+

TE: I got a stud in Olsen and a nice backup in Rudolph. I love the combo. Grade A

PK;  I am hoping the Rams improve some. It was Ram PK or Ram D and got the Pk instead. He has the leg still but can he put it together. He will have a job. Maybe i should have gone PK in round 12 like I almost did but waited. Was going Aguayo also but he went a couple picks ahead so no one was getting in round 20. Franks is young and Miami should do better on O also with Gase. I think Franks keeps his job as a young guy. Grade B-

D; I like both teams to do well. I know Bengals might have some new personal but hopefully they keep most. Their coach helps. I think Bucs do a nice uptick on D this year after the draft. Grade B-

Overall I like this team but Calvin is the key. He was a risk but one that can it all for you since if he does not retire, he is a late 1st or early 2nd round pick and 5th round sounded good. Now I would have taken Forte instead and come back with Calvin in round 6 still if he was there. Would have preferred that over Gordon but again one pick short. Not too many times did I get sniped from what I had in mind. So maybe my thinking was way outside the box. But I wrote down plan on paper and almost got each player based on WSL1 draft.

Always enjoy doing these

QB:
6.09 (89) E. Manning NYG QB13
11.08 (168) J. Goff ®? QB30
20.09 (313) P. Lynch ®? QB34
Average QB1, two high risk rookies. Huge gamble unlikely to pay off.
C-/D+

RB:
1.08 (08) D. Johnson ARI RB3
5.08 (72) J. Langford CHI RB19
7.08 (104) J. Ajayi MIA RB28
16.09 (249) S. Ware KC RB59
19.08 (296) C. Michael SEA RB71
One RB1, two questionable starters, two shots in the dark. This unit needs some luck to be average.
C-/D+

WR:
2.09 (25) K. Benjamin CAR WR17
3.08 (40) J. Gordon CLE WR23
8.09 (121) R. Matthews MIA? WR50
9.08 (136) D. Amendola NE WR54
17.08 (264) C. Latimer DEN WR87
18.09 (281) P. Richardson SEA WR93
One coming off injury, one coming off suspension, one underperforming free agent, one underutilized, one benchwarmer and lastly one with exactly one 40-yard catch on his NFL resume. Uninspiring at best and likely one of the worst WR units in this draft.
C-/D+

TE:
4.09 (57) G. Barnidge CLE TE8
10.09 (153) C. Walford OAK TE24
Meh, huge doubts whether Barnidge can repeat last years performance. Walford has some upside, but not much.
C-

K:
13.08 (200) C. Boswell PIT PK12
14.09 (217) S. Janikowski OAK PK21
C

D:
12.09 (185) Eagles PHI D7
15.08 (232) Browns CLE D18
C

Overall this team is average -to- below average across all positions and unlikely to make any noise this season. Other than the 1st round I struggled the entire draft to find value and almost always felt I was reaching. I am disappointed with this team. Drafting in the survivors is always a challenge and a pleasure. Good luck to all this year.
Rody

QB:
6.09 (89) E. Manning NYG QB13
11.08 (168) J. Goff ®? QB30
20.09 (313) P. Lynch ®? QB34
Average QB1, two high risk rookies. Huge gamble unlikely to pay off.
C-/D+

RB:
1.08 (08) D. Johnson ARI RB3
5.08 (72) J. Langford CHI RB19
7.08 (104) J. Ajayi MIA RB28
16.09 (249) S. Ware KC RB59
19.08 (296) C. Michael SEA RB71
One RB1, two questionable starters, two shots in the dark. This unit needs some luck to be average.
C-/D+

WR:
2.09 (25) K. Benjamin CAR WR17
3.08 (40) J. Gordon CLE WR23
8.09 (121) R. Matthews MIA? WR50
9.08 (136) D. Amendola NE WR54
17.08 (264) C. Latimer DEN WR87
18.09 (281) P. Richardson SEA WR93
One coming off injury, one coming off suspension, one underperforming free agent, one underutilized, one benchwarmer and lastly one with exactly one 40-yard catch on his NFL resume. Uninspiring at best and likely one of the worst WR units in this draft.
C-/D+

TE:
4.09 (57) G. Barnidge CLE TE8
10.09 (153) C. Walford OAK TE24
Meh, huge doubts whether Barnidge can repeat last years performance. Walford has some upside, but not much.
C-

K:
13.08 (200) C. Boswell PIT PK12
14.09 (217) S. Janikowski OAK PK21
C

D:
12.09 (185) Eagles PHI D7
15.08 (232) Browns CLE D18
C

Overall this team is average -to- below average across all positions and unlikely to make any noise this season. Other than the 1st round I struggled the entire draft to find value and almost always felt I was reaching. I am disappointed with this team. Drafting in the survivors is always a challenge and a pleasure. Good luck to all this year.
Rody

QB - I'd grade it out as a D/D- but I always under rate Eli

RB - You way under graded yourself here.  Johnson is an "A" RB1.  Langford an above average RB2.  Ajayi could be better than most teams RB2s.  You're depth should see some touches.  Feels like one of the top 3 RB corps.  Grade A

WR - I'll give you a C+ here assuming Gordon plays 16.  He's a mid WR1 at worst.  Benjamin will be great in this format.  I like Matthews to do well.  Could see him in NE.  Don't like your depth.  

TE - C+ IMO.  Barnridge slightly above average TE1, ditto Clive as a WR2.

I think your team out performs your expectations.

QB - Big Ben, Cutler: Very good QB1 and better than average QB2.  Gotta be good for a B/B+

RB - Elliot, McFadden, West, Thompson, White, Robinson:  Riding Elliot hard this year which could blow up in my face.  5 weekly darts for a RB2 score from a deep bench.  Going to give myself a C+ based on the depth.

WR -  OBJ, Cobb, Lockett, Perriman, Dorsett, Coleman, Fuller, Hardy:  Feels like one of the top WR stables in the league.  OBJ a top WR1, Cobb an above average WR2.  Surely Lockett/Perriman/Dorsett will post great WR3 numbers.  Hardy looks to be a late round steal.  Coleman and Fuller should be gone by the second round.  Easily the strength of my team and a grade A

TE - Walker, Davis:  Top TE in this format last year and a weak TE2.  If Walker goes down I'm toast.  Grade B

D - Denver:  Only one but they should be good enough.  Grade B-

K - Bailey:  Rolling the dice with one.  Grade F

Will be sweating the byes.  Could easily getting tripped up going with basically one Te and one D/K.  Parlayed these risks into a top WR group, above average QBs, and lots of RB depth.  I really like the way this team turned out.  Should be a contender with a few breaks.  In theory, no real holes.

QB14 Phillip Rivers

QB16 Ryan Tannehill

The last time Rivers was united with Whisenhunt, I think he had a top 5 season. Adam Gase should be very good for Tannehill. I really like this relatively cheap QB tandem. B

RB1 Le'Veon Bell

RB7 Doug Martin

RB43 Alfred Morris

RB60 LeGarrette Blount

If I'd had my wits about me, I'd have drafted a RB5 in the 20th (Khiry was on my list which I couldn't remember at the time), but such is life. I think Morris and Blount are going to be very, very good depth behind two of the top FF RBs. Both of them are power backs, about 27/28 years old, and are free agents. A+

WR32 Michael Crabtree

WR35 John Brown

WR53 Stevie Johnson

WR65 Mike Wallace

WR85 Kenny Britt

WR94 Kenny Stills

WR98 Brian Quick

WR107 Braxton Miller

Always have to take shotgun approach at one position in a 16 team league... I really like this squad for that. Lots of talent, but outside of Crabtree and Brown (actually wanted Decker and Floyd), none of them did much in 2015 due to injury or situation. I suspect that will turn around in 2016 with some of the key guys getting a change of scenery. Would love to see Wallace in Carolina. Quick is a forgotten man, but someone is going to sign him and he'll earn a starting spot. C+

TE7 Zack Ertz

TE15 Ladarius Green

Wanted Eifert, but like Decker and Floyd, he went earlier in WSL2 than WSL1. Hopefully Philly has big plans for Ertz after paying him big money. I've always liked Green and hope he gets his shot somewhere this year. B-

Kickers: Gano, Walsh

Two guys with good legs on good teams who won't lose their jobs. A-

Defense: Bills, Jets

Two above average defenses. B

Overall, I think this is a very solid team from a talent perspective. Free agency will really shed light on it, though. If Doug takes a big payday somewhere crappy like Tennessee and Blount and Morris sign as pure backups then my RB squad could take a dive. Need Stevie to stay healthy OR a Wallace resurgence OR for Brian Quick to remember what he did in 2014 before injury for my WR squad to hold its own. Philly's new offense and Green's FA destination will make or break my TE squad.

3.07 - Cam Newton, QB CAR | QB1
8.10 - Tyrod Taylor, QB BUF | QB23

Taylor can have those big weeks, good combo here.

1.07 - Todd Gurley, RB LA | RB2
4.10 - Eddie Lacy, RB GB | RB15
9.07 - Javorious Allen, RB BAL | RB40
14.10 - David Cobb, RB TEN | RB53

Feels like this group is missing something, like a Danny Woodhead or something.  If Lacy doesn't get back on track you may struggle for an RB2 score here many, many weeks. Maybe could have used a 5th here. 

2.10 - Brandin Cooks, WR NO | WR18
6.10 - DeSean Jackson, WR WAS | WR40
7.07 - Stefon Diggs, WR MIN | WR47
10.10 - Markus Wheaton, WR PIT | WR60
12.10 - Jermaine Kearse, WR SEA | WR69
16.10 - Seth Roberts, WR OAK | WR81
20.10 - Leonte Carroo, WR ROOK | WR104

Not buyin the fantasy baseball stuff you are selling. Many of these guys can disappear week to week, including Dsux. Guess I like to take a different approach at WR in a survivor format.  I want my WR1-3 to be fairly consistent and my 4-7 to be the guys who put up the occasional 20+ point weeks. I usually pass on MIN WR's so probably part of reason not high on this group. Know nothing about Carroo. Feels like you made very limited investment here early and then hoped to throw some stuff at the wall later and hope it sticks. With Cooks as your WR1, I actually do think a Maclin type would have been a good add, but maybe not at the expense of Cam, I don't know, it might work out, who knows. 

5.07 - Julius Thomas, TE JAX | TE9
11.07 - Jordan Cameron, TE MIA | TE25
19.07 - Jace Amaro, TE NYJ | TE35

I could see a bounce back for Cameron, and do think Thomas could be a value play this year, so I probably like this group more than others. Well done.

13.07 - Cairo Santos, PK KC | PK11
17.07 - Roberto Aguayo, PK ROOK | PK25

15.07 - Colts, DST IND | DS17
18.10 - Falcons, DST ATL | DS30

Should be ok with both groups here.

Like QB's, TE's, and Gurley...need Lacy to bounce back....others may like your WR's more than I do and may see it as a strength and that may make you a solid contender. Good luck.

QB- Carr, Kaepernick

I like Carr as my QB1, and IF Kap stays in SF I think he will have a good year.

Big questions.. C

RB- McCoy, Foster, Crowell, Coleman, Drake

i liked this group a lot more before Foster got let go. I think I have a good blend of talent, but will now need some luck.

C+

WR- Brown, Hurns, Treadwell, Snead, Thomas, Brown

I am very high on my WRs, as I think that they have a great mix of upside and consistency.

A-

TE- Eifert, Rogers, Hoomanawanui

Very solid group, but not sure I needed a 3rd..

B+

K- Brown, Coons
D- Steelers, 49ers

Ive got 2 of each, and should perform well enough.

Overall I am going to wait and see for free agency and the draft, as they will both have a big affect on me. But if I do not get a little lucky, I will not have any depth.

C+ .. for now

RB1 Le'Veon Bell

RB7 Doug Martin

RB43 Alfred Morris

RB60 LeGarrette Blount

If I'd had my wits about me, I'd have drafted a RB5 in the 20th (Khiry was on my list which I couldn't remember at the time), but such is life. I think Morris and Blount are going to be very, very good depth behind two of the top FF RBs. Both of them are power backs, about 27/28 years old, and are free agents. A+
An injury and a bye and you have no backups at all. I like the group, but a group of only four in a best ball where two HAVE to count weekly isn't an A+ unless all four are top 15 RBs

An injury and a bye and you have no backups at all. I like the group, but a group of only four in a best ball where two HAVE to count weekly isn't an A+ unless all four are top 15 RBs
It all depends on the league. With 16 teams, it is impossible to get four top 15 RBs. Grading should be a sliding scale, which takes into account league size and roster composition. I think it is the best RB group in the league, thus the A+. If this were a 12 team league, I don't think it would be an A+. If anybody has an injury and a bye then they are screwed, even if they drafted a 5th guy in the 18th round...

It all depends on the league. With 16 teams, it is impossible to get four top 15 RBs. Grading should be a sliding scale, which takes into account league size and roster composition. I think it is the best RB group in the league, thus the A+. If this were a 12 team league, I don't think it would be an A+. If anybody has an injury and a bye then they are screwed, even if they drafted a 5th guy in the 18th round...
I'd give ya go....

REF:

RB12 Latavius Murray OAK

RB13 CJ Anderson  DEN

RB24 DeMarco Murray PHI

RB31 Karlos Williams BUF

Ninja:

RB1 Le'Veon Bell

RB7 Doug Martin

RB43 Alfred Morris

RB60 LeGarrette Blount

I'd give ya go....

REF:

RB12 Latavius Murray OAK

RB13 CJ Anderson  DEN

RB24 DeMarco Murray PHI

RB31 Karlos Williams BUF

Ninja:

RB1 Le'Veon Bell

RB7 Doug Martin

RB43 Alfred Morris

RB60 LeGarrette Blount
Yeah, that's a nice group. I think I'm one of the few who still really likes CJA. If I didn't get Doug, I was going after him a little later. However, I think you must forget just how good a healthy Bell is in this format. He put up crazy PPR points in 2014 (more than Latavius and CJ combined in 2015) and I think Martin was RB4 last year. Blount and Morris aren't PPR guys, but their TDs make them valuable as RB3/4 in best ball leagues.

In the end, I've got two top 5 RBs commanding my starting spots most weeks with two former 1000 yard guys, likely in the "thunder" role of an RBBC somewhere filling in periodically. L.Murray is a fringe top 10 guy and CJA could be up there if his line improves, but there's a lot of change coming in Denver next year so really hard to bank on him being anything more than a top 15 RB. The other Murray doesn't look nearly as good as his backfield mate (Mathews) and will have to prove his worth to a new coaching staff. Very risky pick just due to that. Factor in that he may be in the midst of a Larry Johnson-esque decline after a 2006 Larry Johnson-esque workload in 2014 and he might be an outright bust no matter what kind of role the coaching staff gives him to start the season. Williams, who looked talented in spurts, is still just a backup to McCoy unless I've missed something. Still, a very strong group for a 16 team league. Just not quite A+ ;)

Yeah, that's a nice group. I think I'm one of the few who still really likes CJA. If I didn't get Doug, I was going after him a little later. However, I think you must forget just how good a healthy Bell is in this format. He put up crazy PPR points in 2014 (more than Latavius and CJ combined in 2015) and I think Martin was RB4 last year. Blount and Morris aren't PPR guys, but their TDs make them valuable as RB3/4 in best ball leagues.

In the end, I've got two top 5 RBs commanding my starting spots most weeks with two former 1000 yard guys, likely in the "thunder" role of an RBBC somewhere filling in periodically. L.Murray is a fringe top 10 guy and CJA could be up there if his line improves, but there's a lot of change coming in Denver next year so really hard to bank on him being anything more than a top 15 RB. The other Murray doesn't look nearly as good as his backfield mate (Mathews) and will have to prove his worth to a new coaching staff. Very risky pick just due to that. Factor in that he may be in the midst of a Larry Johnson-esque decline after a 2006 Larry Johnson-esque workload in 2014 and he might be an outright bust no matter what kind of role the coaching staff gives him to start the season. Williams, who looked talented in spurts, is still just a backup to McCoy unless I've missed something. Still, a very strong group for a 16 team league. Just not quite A+ ;)
fair enough.....

Bell off a serious injury is certainly no lock to return to pre injury form.......if Bell comes back to pre injury form and stays healthy then he can carry a fantasy team at RB.....

don't know where Martin's new home/role will be....or Morris.....or Blount....pretty fair to say dice rolls with those 3

while Martin's rebirth last year was a nice story, I am not willing to forget he disappeared after his rookie year....with what he will demand in FA I doubt a team will bring him in and make him part of a RBBC.... but you never know ....ala Philly last year and other teams who seem to be taking more of an RBBC approach.....does he stay the man, or become Ryan Matthews?....there are plenty of FA backs available, landing spots will be interesting and crucial to fantasy value...I kind of have Martin and Freeman in the "buyer beware" department heading into next year.....even though I invested in Freeman in WSL1....I think some of us owners of those two guys may be a little disappointed on our ROI.....I'm skeptical that they live up to the price paid this year based on their performance last year...but that may be just me...

never been a big Morris fan, even his last team was wanting someone else to take over (Jones).....Morris could easily be a non factor next year.....I think his landing spot will have to be perfect for him to have fantasy impact....today's NFL almost demands you have the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield....I'm not sure what the demand will be for him...he played 16 games last year and had all of 1 rushing TD....so not real sure his TD's make him valuable as a RB3/4 in this league....I am assuming you are assuming he becomes somebody's goal line back, even though he did not even do that last year....or at least wasn't successful in that "role" last year....

best case I guess is Blount resigns in NE, if not, an aging RB coming off a hip injury may not be in high demand either....Blount had 6 rushing TD's last year and half of them came in one game....not exactly the perfect scenario for "TD's make them valuable as RB3/4 in best ball" either.....these two guys (Morris/Blount) were kind of in that "thunder" role already last year...to the tune of 7 rushing TD's combined....

injury to the stud and your RB4.... and 3 guys without teams as of right now......makes it hard to really give this group an A+ right now.....an A+ at this point is assuming an awful lot.....could that change...sure....but let's call it what it is at this point....

L. Murray....on an offense on the rise with what some might call a pretty good passing game....posted 40 receptions last year....like your use of the word "fringe" when describing his top 10 finish...I'll take fringe again next year....

you and I are on the same page with CJ....with Kubs in town they are going to run the rock and Anderson showed down the stretch (including SB) he can handle a lot of touches...

if people keep writing off DeMarco as RB24....he will be on many of my teams....I don't think people are giving enough credit to the coaching change and Pederson coming in from KC and what that could mean for a talented back like Murray.....the contract situations actually make Mathews more in danger of being cut than Murray...I hope his ADP stays where it is at....

Karlos...passed the eye ball test for me....and will get plenty of work behind shady.....avg over 5.5 yards per carry....has a nose for end zone (9 total)....more than your 3-4 combined....think his workload increases significantly....

my 3-4 had 16 TD's combined....twice as many as yours

I'm not big on giving grades in a survivor format.....but I'd take my group right now every day of the week and twice on Sunday....as things shake out I could see the gap closing a little and liking your group more if things fall right for your guys.....but I still think my 3-4 bring way more to the table than your 3-4....and solely based on Bell's injury and my skepticism about Martin repeating his performance heading into next year....and not knowing where he ends up....if I had to chose, right now I'd take my 1-2 over yours as well....

good luck.... :banned:

good luck.... :banned:
Ha. I love this kind of in depth analysis in March! I'll bite...

Bell tore his MCL and PCL, which IMO, is better than ACL which is no longer the death knell it once was. So yeah, I feel good about Bell returning to form. The recovery time is the same as ACL, though, so he should be fine for week 1.

Martin is poised to be the top paid RB by far this offseason, so somebody is going to be giving him the ball a lot next year. Staying in Tampa is most likely, and a pretty decent outcome, but I like his chances of catching more passes if he changes teams. Either way, Martin is in no way more of a dice roll than almost anyone else. I'm no big Martin fan, though. I'm not overly impressed with him as a runner, but volume is a big part of fantasy. Also, he admitted in interviews that he wasn't dedicated his first three years in the league. He pulled his act together last year. I'm betting that was a maturity thing and that he'll be fine next year.

As for Morris, I guess I'm the opposite. I've always been a fan, although, I've rarely found him on a team of mine (largely because I pretty much expected the redskins to implode at any moment during his heyday). The guy obviously has running talent. I agree the team tried to move on to Matt Jones last year, but that was a disaster (3.3 ypc?). In fact, the whole running game was a disaster, but ol' Morris still showed better than Jones. His first 3 years were quite impressive (yet you are only focusing on last year), so I'll give him a pass for last year considering how bad everyone else looked behind that line. Don't be the guy who misses out on quality players due to "what have you done for me lately". It's funny how you assert that more teams are taking a RBBC approach AND that catching the ball is essential. Only one of those two can be true. I'm thinking of Ivory/Powell or Blount/Lewis type of RBBC for Morris, if indeed he can't actually catch. But... look at Ingram. Everyone thought because he didn't catch balls that he couldn't. Then suddenly he went from catching no passes to catching a ton. I always knew Ingram had passing game skills, though. I don't know that about Morris.

Blount is a talented guy. He'll be 29 this season but with less than 1000 career rushes. I think the highest probability is re-signing with NE, but if not, I think he'll find a role elsewhere as a bruiser. I'd be happy with 6 TDs from my RB4.

As for the grade, like I said before, it is a relative thing. Given Bell's talent and situation and just the other guys' talent, I still think it is the best squad in the league.

L.Murray... I described him as fringe because he literally finished on the fringe of the top 10 in PPR scoring, just a point or two ahead of Ivory and Ingram who played less games. It wasn't meant as a slight. I thought the word "fringe" quite fitting in this case, don't you agree? Just a couple more snaps from a few guys and he's in the teens. He had over 300 touches, so I don't see his role increasing next year. I find the Raiders' offense interesting. One could easily argue that they overperformed last year and could struggle to maintain that. I honestly don't know what to expect, but I wouldn't bank on them doing much better than they did in 2015.

My worries with CJA are the offensive line and QB. I'm not positive Brock is the answer or even that he'll be there next year. They also need to break the bank to bring Von Miller back, so I'm not sure how much they can/will invest in the OL. As a player, I really like CJA. As a FF player in 2016, I'm wary. Also, I anticipate Hillman being gone so who will they bring in to compete for touches? What if Kubes brings in his boy Foster? Things could get murky, although let it be known, I think CJA is better than Foster at this point in their careers.

I agree that DeMarco isn't going to get cut due to the cap hit they'd have to eat, but if you think he's the best back on the roster then you're in denial. If you don't think he's the best back on the roster then why'd you spend such an early pick on him? It's kind of a catch-22 for anyone who drafts him this year. Mathews' salary isn't very significant and he was by far the best back on the team last year, so I don't expect him to get cut, leaving an interesting situation for the new staff. I think Mathews in the RB45 range is a better value pick than Murray at RB24.

Karlos is kind of like the Ryan Mathews of Buffalo, except McCoy still looked good (4.4 ypc) whereas Murray (3.6 ypc) looked like crap. Karlos should get more snaps, but I don't know that he will. I really like Karlos for 2017. This coming season, due to likely light workload, he's probably a run of the mill RB4 unless McCoy gets hurt.

Like you, I'm not big on grading these teams, but I'm just following the format others have set. Unlike you, I don't think L.Murray and CJA hold a candle to Bell and Martin. But that's why they play the games, right? Good luck to you!

good stuff....

I actually thought I saw something about PCL injuries possibly being a little more troublesome than an ACL tear....not sure as I am no expert....

I think Lamar Miller may be coveted a little more than Martin, but that's splitting hairs....Martin has some issues in pass protection.... thus guys like Sims get PT...he had a nice year but his somewhat high overall finish had some to do with the carnage that was the RB position last year in the NFL....part of him pulling his act together may have been that he was in a contract year....let's see what happens after he gets a new deal....I'm not sold the maturity thing is no longer an issue....don't know, guess I am just choosing to let somebody else draft him at his price this year....sooooo much also depends on where he ends up....

Morris is gonzo in WAS....they must not have been impressed even prior to last year.....I am actually not a last year stat type of guy... it honestly means very little to me other than to support an occasional opinion....I am mostly a talent/opportunity/eye ball test guy.....Morris is trending in the wrong direction since his first year....carries/yards/avg....all going in wrong direction.....guess if that is the oline's fault I will swing and miss on Morris going forward.....but I think he is as much part of the problem as the line is....

in survivor....getting 6 TD's but 3 of them coming in one week from your RB4 isn't much help.....don't get me wrong I took Blount as an RB5 in wsl1, so I am hoping for some of that love too, but just wish it was a little more spread out....and a bad hip for a bruiser doesn't sound great, but hopefully healthy.....think he needs a high octane offense to increase his value/scoring/pounding opportunities....hopefully stays in NE....

the fringe thing was just more about getting a top 10 guy or not....didn't take it as a slight....I agree a few things here or there changes the rankings and the lingo, plus, like with Martin, there is an elevated finish when guys like Bell, Charles, Lynch, etc. miss time....in these leagues, even though we (even me) often rattle off where guys end up finishing overall...many times that is overrated....I remember Decker a few years ago finished with a monster week 17 I think that accounted for a pretty large percentage of his catches, yards, and TD's...helping him finish somewhat respectable in the end of the year overall rankings....yet in this format, where someone is eliminated every week....his year was really crap....I think the Raiders will continue to be pretty good on offense and even if Murray gets less touches...there should be ample scoring opportunities and he shouldn't be facing stacked boxes...

I think CJ is top 10 next year.....just gut call...oline will receive a pretty big makeover one way or the other....Clady may be back at a reduced rate etc, as he wants to stay in DEN....opportunity there for CJ to become what Foster was for Kubs in HOU.....

DMurray is going to be paid a ton next year, so I think the new coach (pederson) plays to his strength and tries to get his monies worth...the talent is there, but that line could use some help as well.....combined with a new scheme, I'll take a shot that all that adds up to it having to get better instead of worse.....Mathews played through a groin injury last year and was pretty effective, but durability is a concern.....I think Murray gets first crack at majority of carries...

Karlos looks like a stud when he plays and scored in 8 of the 11 weeks he played....they like him at the goal line....I think his arrow is pointing up and I am going to be on this side of it this year, instead of the wrong side of it when he takes over for Shady at some point and is drafted much higher....

good stuff....I'll stand behind my four all day as collectively as a group in this format I think it's pretty strong....love the upside of Murray/Williams wayyyy more than Morris/Blount and I think it's much closer with the top two as well....we'll see....good luck...

The breaking news obviously helps team ref......even better is I get the double dip owning Mathews in wsl1....

The breaking news obviously helps team ref......even better is I get the double dip owning Mathews in wsl1....
Man, now I really wish I'd reached for Mathews! I almost took him instead of Morris. I'm thinking you did get a steal there in the other league. I've always felt Mathews was underrated. I hope he gets one more shot at being a workhorse this year. But man, I am on record as thinking TEN is the worst landing spot for a RB out of all the teams potentially looking for a starter (I think I posted this in the Doug Martin thread). I'm not saying it is certain, but that team has one of the highest risks for "dumpster fire" for 2016. They were 3-13 last year and pretty much stuck with the same staff. As a team, the RBs totaled 7 rushing TDs on 320 carries.

You are not the first person to mention the idea that Miller is possibly more coveted than Martin. I guess we'll see how their contracts play out, but I'll be shocked if Miller gets paid more than Martin. But generally, I agree with you about Martin's FF price tag. I will let someone else pay for Martin in auction leagues (my preferred drafting method). But in a 16 team league, I needed a RB2 I could count on since I was planning to go shotgun at WR.

I'm not writing CJA off as a top 10 candidate. I think he could get in there, but I really need to see what happens with the OL, QB, and who else they sign at RB. Kubes is loyal to a fault. If he brings in Foster, all bets are off. Kubes has stuck by some AWFUL coaches and mediocre players. It was painful to watch in Houston. The only reason Wade came to Houston was because the owner forced a real DC on Kubiak. He'd have kept promoting inept DCs from within otherwise.

Looking at football outsiders, 2012 was the last time Washington ranked in the top half in run blocking, so it does kind of correspond with Morris' downward trend. The fact that he still ran better than the overhyped Jones last year should at least indicate he's got something left in the tank (also it has only been 4 seasons plus his career avg is a very healthy 4.4 ypc). 

Genuinely not trying to be snarky, but for argument's sake, I gotta point out a couple double standards you've employed:

-Morris' 3.7 ypc was better than Murray's last year... so if you're worried about someone's arrow pointing down, I'd worry about the guy that tanked after a 498 touch season (incl. playoffs). Morris outplayed his backfield mate while Murray was significantly behind his, hinting that blocking was the problem for Morris whereas eroding talent/wear+tear might be the problem for Murray.

-McCoy (like DeMarco) is going to get paid a ton this year, so the coaches who paid him are probably going to play to their strength and get their money's worth. Williams (like Mathews) missed time last year (5 games) despite only 93 carries.

no worries.....I don't take banter/discussions in here ever as being snarky, etc.....especially this time of year.....I participate in the discussions because I have often found myself too enamored with guys that may pass my personal eye ball test and sometimes need to be rationally talked out of ####.....I'll throw some stuff out, hoping it generates discussion on something I am unsure of...one of the weaker points of my "fantasy game" is that I often disregard previous stats and trends, often thinking talent will overcome...etc...I have often left the MDF having completely changed my perspective beacuse of what I learned in here...even if I use the words "you say" it is often not really meant directly at you or anybody else, but maybe just the fantasy folks in general who support that particular point....nothing here is ever personal for me....I have mad respect for what I consider some top shelf fantasy insight in here....so much so that I have found myself rarely even checking in in the Shark Pool anymore, because at some point or another as a group in here we will probably touch on most players/situations etc.....easier to come in here then to try and filter through the SP threads for opinions I value....I truly value the points of view in here

just summing up DeMarco at this point from now an owners perspective.....TEN may be a wasteland but it is a change of scenery (something I think he really needed as the vibe just never was really good in PHI and it didn't seem to be improving even with the coaching change)....pretty clear Chip's system was not a good fit for him and had he stayed, while the system/coaching may have been better, the vibe was still there as was some decent competition for carries.....all those factors have changed.....I did truly feel that with Chip gone and a new system coming in, that in some ways DeMarco's arrow would be pointing up......feeling was.... it had to get better.....now Murray is in a situation where he should have a clearer path to more carries and opportunities which from a fantasy perspective is all we really worry about....while it seems great for Mathews as well, I think I saw that PHI is open to shopping him too....which is a little surprising.....individually in this league, I now have what look to be 3 pretty solid RB1's who if nothing else should be in line for the bulk of the opportunities as of right now.....we'll see how their ADP's change....I'm not sold Murray is heading down the Larry Johnson path and am really leaning toward he was behind a terrible offensive line trying to run in a system that did not fit his running style....will that get better in TEN....I have no idea....but it can't be worse than last year....I think he still oozes talent....none of us expect what happened in DAL, but could he maybe creep into the top 20 discussion now....maybe

I may swing and miss on Morris....but he is undraftable to me right now.....I see very little upside in his game and am not willing to roll the dice in drafts right now thinking he will land in the perfect spot or carve out the perfect "thunder" roll stealing goal line carries all year or something.....Morris needs more of a zone blocking scheme as he is not a tough inside power it down your throat type of back....not sure where the "thunder" concept comes from is discussing him...if that means he doesn't play on 3rd down and can't catch....then yeah he is "thunder"....but plowing people over inside is not really his game...I'm not a real not sure he will be signed by a team thinking he is going to be their work horse first and second down back....and if he is not, he doesn't bring much to the table and may just be a spell back...

Williams seems like one of those guys that can still be fantasy relevant in this format even though he is the  number 2....his numbers kind of support that....almost closer to more of a 1A instead of a clear cut #2 that only comes in if the starter goes down....I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it harder and harder for them to keep him off the field....

on another note....Allen resigns in Indy and indications are Fleener may not be back.....hmmmmm....that would help the Miller retirement mess....stays with one of the top QB in the league and loses competition....should see Allen's ADP rise significantly....

:banned:

Yeah, I see people talking mess about Allen in the SP, but I've always been a fan. If he can stay healthy (big IF) he could be huge...but that also requires they give him TE1 status. Injuries and a timeshare really kept his production down, but I like him an an all round talent. Hopefully for you they don't bring someone else in to share targets with again. FWIW, I really liked the Heath Miller pick before retirement. I always target him in these leagues because he seems perennially underrated for some reason.

As for Morris, I don't know where you get the impression he's not a good power back. He's converted 18 TDs on 43 carries (41%) inside the 5. After looking at goal line stats for years, I've determined that a 40% conversion rate is elite, so he looks pretty good from that angle. On 3rd/4th and short (2 or less yards), he's had 33 carries and converted 23 first downs (70%) which is on pace with guys like Lynch, Foster, Hill, and Ivory. A little behind Peterson (75%) and ahead of guys like Lacy (58%) and Charles (59%). By those two metrics, I think he's a good fit as a pounder for some team and will do quite well at scoring TDs if he lands on a team that finds itself in the red zone with any frequency. I'm glad you made me look that up, though. I had always just assumed from his build that he was a good power back. Hadn't actually run the numbers until now. Always good to double check those gut feelings.

Pick Pos Name WSL 1 DP
01.15 WR Alshon Jeffery 01.14
02.02 WR Brandon Marshall 02.01
03.15 WR Larry Fitzgerald 04.03
04.02 RB Danny Woodhead 06.12
05.15 TE Jimmy Graham 04.04
06.02 QB Tony Romo 05.07
07.15 TE Jason Witten 07.10
08.02 RB Theo Riddick 07.14
09.15 WR Rueben Randle 07.09
10.02 QB Teddy Bridgewater 09.05
11.15 RB Bilal Powell 12.08
12.02 DEF Carolina Panthers 12.09
13.15 PK Matt Prater 13.15
14.02 RB Darren Sproles 16.09
15.15 DEF New York Giants 16.11
16.02 WR Sammie Coates 12.03
17.15 RB Jerrick McKinnon 15.13
18.02 WR Victor Cruz 12.15
19.15 QB Chase Daniel N/A
20.02 WR Nate Washington N/A

Guess it's finally time to post my team thoughts now that free agency has solidified a few things.

QB Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys

QB Teddy Bridgewater, Minnesota Vikings

QB Chase Daniels, Philadelphia Eagles

A weak trio, no doubt. Romo has 99 problems and they're all his left collarbone, Bridgewater possesses both a low ceiling and a low floor, and Daniels was a hopeful flier. Everyone pegged him to head to Philly to reunite with Doug Pederson. Which he did, but only after Bradford reupped with a mega deal. I can't possibly see this being a genuinely open summer competition between Sam and Chase due to the salary difference. Although I guess there is a better than even chance Daniels plays a bit since Bradford isn't durable.

Grade: D

RB Danny Woodhead, San Diego Chargers

RB Theo Riddick, Detroit Lions

RB Bilal Powell, New York Jets

RB Darren Sproles, Philadelphia Eagles

RB Jerick McKinnon, Minnesota Vikings

Obviously my strategy was to wait on running back and take the PPR all-stars from 2015. This quintuplet combined for 284 receptions last season. I like their low cost and high floor, which allowed me to invest heavily in the WR position. First time I've done something like this in the SLs, and since I've never won one of these in the decade or so I've been playing, I figure a change up can't hurt anything. Will be interesting to monitor.

Grade: B+

WR Alshon Jeffrey, Chicago Bears

WR Brandon Marshall, New York Jets

WR Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona Cardinals

WR Rueben Randle, Philadelphia Eagles

WR Sammie Coates, Pittsburgh Steelers

WR Victor Cruz, New York Giants

WR Nate Washington, New England Patriots

The strength of my team. I was on tilt at the beginning of the draft and might've slightly reached on Jeffrey, but I'm pleased to round out the initial trio of wide receivers with Marshall and Fitzgerald. I suppose there is some risk here, as Jeffrey missed a bunch of time with injuries last season, Marshall could regress in his second year with the Jets, particularly if Fitzmagic bolts for, uh, maybe the Broncos, and Fitzgerald finally shows his age and is surpassed by Brown and Floyd.

I don't love Randle but he's young and likely to land at least a third wide receiver role somewhere in the league. Coates is very boom/bust, but I really wanted a taste of the sure-to-be-amazing Steelers passing offense. Cruz is a lottery pick, although resigning in New York has to be at least a little bit inspiring. Nate Washington is perennially underrated in best ball drafts, where he usually posts two or three scoring weeks thanks to his deep threat speed.

Grade: A-

TE Jimmy Graham, Seattle Seahawks

TE Jason Witten, Dallas Cowboys

Graham is very risky, while Witten has to fall off at some point, right?

Grade: C

DEF Carolina Panthers

DEF New York Giants

PK Matt Prater

Decent enough, with a top tier option in Carolina, a bounce back candidate in the Giants, and a dome kicker with a big leg in Prater.

Grade: B

Overall Team Grade: B-/C+

5.16 Drew Brees QB10 NOS

16.01 Robert Griffin III QB31 FA

after further review: need RG3 to sign and start....when that happens this duo gets a bump....Fleener addition for Brees is nice as well...

3.16 Latavius Murray RB12 OAK

4.01 CJ Anderson RB13 DEN

6.01 DeMarco Murray RB24 TEN

7.16 Karlos Williams RB31 BUF

after further review: all things considered, DeMarco becoming the bell cow in TEN should be a slight upgrade to this group....MIA letting DEN know what they think about CJ should help as well.....either team should be all in on him carrying the load...

1.16 Demaryius Thomas WR10 DEN

2.01 Jordy Nelson WR GB11

8.01 Tavon Austin WR48 LAR

9.16 Kendall Wright WR58 TEN

13.16 Chris Conley WR KC71

14.01 Brandon Coleman WR72 NOS

19.16 J.J. Nelson WR101 ARZ

after further review: slight downgrade for DT with QB situation....liked the Rishard Matthews signing for TEN, think he is a pretty good football player, TEN added a couple nice pieces on offense with Murray and Matthews.....not sure how that affects Wright....Streater to KC might be slight downgrade for Conley, but we'll see if he even makes the team...group maybe takes a slight hit overall...

10.01 Heath Miller TE20 PIT

15.16 Dwayne Allen TE30 IND

17.16 Jacob Tamme TE31 ATL

20.01 Luke Wilson TE38 SEA

after further review: Allen resigning in IND and Fleener in NOS will most likely have both of their ADP's skyrocketing moving forward....making Allen a steal as TE30 in this draft....this group needed a break like that....if Tamme puts up another top 13 TE season and Allen jumps into the top 15 group....what was once lost becomes serviceable here....was a little surprised by the way the Allen/Fleener thing shook out, kind of thought it would be the other way around.....says a little about what INDY and Chud's the OC/TE guru think of Allen....pretty significant bump here...

12.01 Stephen Gostkowski PK1 NE

11.16 Kansas City Chief DST3

16.01 Jacksonville Jaguars DST24

after further review: KC tagging and resigning some is nice....Smith leaving hurts a little...Malik to JAC should help the D...small bump here.....

Overall: after further review: anticipating a small bump at QB...fairly significant bump at RB IMO....slight if any downgrade at WR....fairly large bump at TE...and DST small bump/holding steady....I'll take it.....

Good luck.  :banned:

QB - Big Ben 8, Cutler 9: Very good QB1 and better than average QB2.  Gotta be good for a B/B+

RB - Elliot 7, McFadden 7, West 13, Thompson 9, White 9, Robinson 5:  Riding Elliot hard this year which could blow up in my face.  5 weekly darts for a RB2 score from a deep bench.  Going to give myself a C+ based on the depth.

WR -  OBJ 11, Cobb 4, Lockett 5, Permian 8, Dorsett 10, Coleman 13, Fuller 9, Hardy 11:  Feels like one of the top WR stables in the league.  OBJ a top WR1, Cobb an above average WR2.  Surely Lockett/Perriman/Dorsett will post great WR3 numbers.  Hardy looks to be a late round steal.  Coleman and Fuller should be gone by the second round.  Easily the strength of my team and a grade A

TE - Walker 13, Davis 9:  Top TE in this format last year and a weak TE2.  If Walker goes down I'm toast.  Grade B

D - Denver 11:  Only one but they should be good enough.  Grade B-

K - Bailey 7:  Rolling the dice with one.  Grade F

Will be sweating the byes.  Could easily getting tripped up going with basically one Te and one D/K.  Parlayed these risks into a top WR group, above average QBs, and lots of RB depth.  I really like the way this team turned out.  Should be a contender with a few breaks.  In theory, no real holes.
Filled in the rest of the byes tonight.  Elliot going 4 to Dallas is a huge bump for this team.  The WR corps got even better with Coleman and Fuller going one/two in the draft tonight and going to teams where they should start.  I've got 8 WRs that should be scoring weekly.  The only hit I took was McFadden, but now he's a decent handcuff.  Davis and Hardy are looking better after free agency.

Users who are viewing this thread