What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dalvin Cook, BAL (2 Viewers)

Top 10 returning players in college football

Excerpt:

Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State

Cook didn’t receive quite the same level of hype as fellow running backs McCaffrey, Fournette and Henry, but there’s no questioning the fact that he was one of the best runners in the nation last season. He finished seventh in rushing grade, and stood out even more so in a couple of our PFF Signature Stats. He ranked No. 2 in yards after contact per attempt and No. 1 in elusive rating – two measures of how effective a running back is independent of his blocking.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Steve Muench calls FSU sophomore RB Dalvin Cook "quick ... smooth changing directions and [able to] turn on the jets when he gets a seam."

"Plus, he breaks would-be tackles and produces after contact," Muench wrote. "Furthermore, his instincts play a big role in his production, as he has an above-average feel for when to get downhill, cut back and bounce runs outside. Finally, he's also an effective receiver who can help out in the passing game." The 5-foot-11, 202-pound Cook rushed for 1,658 yards and 18 touchdowns and averaged better than 7.8 yards per carry despite suffering from lingering leg injuries this year. Rotoworld draft analyst Josh Norris thought he should have been at the Heisman ceremony.

Thu, Dec 17, 2015 08:50:00 PM

Source: ESPN Insider
NFL Media draft analyst Chad Reuter noted that "approaching 2,000 rushing yards in an injury-filled season could portend a huge junior season in 2016 [for FSU sophomore RB Dalvin Cook]."

In an early ranking of 2016 Heisman contenders, Cook landed at No. 4 on Reuter's list. Despite being hampered by leg injuries early in the season, he rushed for 1,658 yards and 18 touchdowns. His "vision, strong cuts and feet in constant motion" could lead him to surpass those numbers in 2016. Rotoworld draft analyst Josh Norris contends that the 6-foot, 200-pound sophomore should have received an invite to this year's Heisman proceedings, if not won the award outright.

Mon, Dec 14, 2015 08:23:00 PM

Source: NFL.com
Rotoworld's Josh Norris believes FSU sophomore Dalvin Cook is having the best season of any RB.

It should be noted that this statement comes with the tag of "right now," as there are plenty of games remaining. Other backs might have better raw numbers, but Cook owns a 75 percent market share of the school's season rushing yards despite missing a game and a half of action due to injury. On top of that, Cook breaks off a big play (20-plus yard gain) on one out of every 10 carries, an outstanding rate.

Source: Rotoworld

Wed, Nov 18, 2015 10:47:00 AM
FSU head coach Jimbo Fisher called sophomore Dalvin Cook a "complete RB" and raved about his work ethic.

"He's a great teammate," Fisher began. "He can catch it, block, run inside, run outside, makes big-time plays, does it in the red zone. It doesn't matter. He does it all." We agree, and the production backs it up. Cook makes up 72 percent of the school's rushing yards this season, despite missing an entire game and another half due to injury.

Source: Campus Rush

Thu, Nov 5, 2015 10:46:00 AM

Sports Illustrated's Zac Ellis believes that FSU junior RB Dalvin Cook "might have been the most underappreciated player in the country in 2015."
You'll find no arguments from us on that front. Rotoworld's CFB coverage crew love Cook, with draft analyst Josh Norris writing several times throughout the season that he deserved Heisman love in 2015. Instead, the 6-foot, 200-pound human lightning bolt didn't even receive an invite to the bloated ceremony. For shame. "His best shot at reaching New York this year relies on the ’Noles contending for a playoff spot," Ellis speculated, but--while probably true--it's not fair to Cook, at all. The Heisman isn't a team award.

Source: Sports Illustrated 
Mar 8 - 8:25 PM

CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang called FSU junior RB Dalvin Cook "a future franchise back in an era missing them."

Rang ranks Cook as the No. 4 underclassman prospect in the 2017 class and specifically cited his elusive nature as a reason why he should find success at the next level. The 6-foot, 200-pounder has our stamp of approval, as Rotoworld's Josh Norris has been pounding the pavement for the Florida State star for months. Health might be the only real concern here. Cook was haunted by a hamstring injury at times last season and sat out the spring after undergoing a surgical procedure on his right shoulder.

Source: CBS Sports

I've lost out on Chubb and Fournette as they were taken last year but there's no way I'm missing out on Cook.

Per Pro Football Focus' 2015 grades, FSU junior RB Dalvin Cook ranked sixth overall among returning backs, fifth in elusive rating and third in yards after contact per attempt.
"[He] stands out the most for his ability to break off huge runs," Jeff Dooley wrote. "He led the nation in breakaway yards (yards that come on rushes of 15 yards or longer) with 1,066 of his 1,696 total. ... [Cook is] one of the nation’s top big-play threats." Rotoworld's Josh Norris ranks the 6-foot, 200-pound Cook as the No. 1 RB in the 2017 class. CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang has called Cook "a future franchise back in an era missing them."

Source: Pro Football Focus
Jun 8 - 6:18 PM

First game of the year and Dalvin just made the seasonal blooper reel.  

Tough sledding rushing, but looks much involved in the receiving game.

He's not busting off the big runs he's known for, and had the oops play. But damn does he look good turning plays where his OL is blown backwards into 3-4 yard gains entirely through his own vision and footwork. NFL teams are going to love that. 

30 touches for the quietest 192 yards ever. You would think that he didn't even play in the game at all...

junior RB Dalvin Cook rushed for 91 yards on 23 carries in Monday's win over Ole Miss.
Cook averaged a scant 4.0 YPC in Monday's win, a far cry from the 7.4 YPC he managed last season. The 6-foot, 200-pounder's most memorable play came midway through the second quarter, when he hauled in a pass about 10 yards out from the end zone and looked ready to jaunt to glory until he inexplicably decided to switch the ball from his left to right hand. He fumbled it out of bounds. So that happened. While his long run went for just 18 yards on Monday, Cook remains an elite fantasy prospect capable of scoring from anywhere on the field due to his mind-warping speed.

Sep 6 - 12:36 AM

Cook to it to the house with his first touch!

This is going to be a high scoring game.

Tex

Florida St. has a horrible team. Cook need to get through this season healthy and declare for the draft.

Tex

Cook just scored again!

5 minutes into this game he has 3 carries for 97yds and 2TDs.

Tex

Last edited by a moderator:
197yds on 9 carries could easily have 2 more TDs. They are giving the #2 back a lot of carries today.

Tex

Put up another 250 and 3 TDs, he was my favorite RB headed into the year, still woulda picked Chubb over him in fantasy, but with Chubb struggling before his injury and fournette not lighting it up I'm worried that cook will gain to much value and it will more depend on landing spot between them as far as who gets picked first in rookie drafts. I traded last offseason for a most likely top 3 pick and felt is surely get cook but know I'm not so sure.

Also my prediction would be steelers take cook to replace bell

Put up another 250 and 3 TDs, he was my favorite RB headed into the year, still woulda picked Chubb over him in fantasy, but with Chubb struggling before his injury and fournette not lighting it up I'm worried that cook will gain to much value and it will more depend on landing spot between them as far as who gets picked first in rookie drafts. I traded last offseason for a most likely top 3 pick and felt is surely get cook but know I'm not so sure.

Also my prediction would be steelers take cook to replace bell
As a Steeler fan I half agree.  I think it's very likely we take a RB and really hope we do because I don't see us paying Bell for his knucklehead'ness, but I'm not a big Cook fan as of this moment.  He strikes me as a poor version of Derrick Henry and I didn't really like Henry coming out either.  But I haven't watched nearly enough of him yet to form a concrete opinion.

As a Steeler fan I half agree.  I think it's very likely we take a RB and really hope we do because I don't see us paying Bell for his knucklehead'ness, but I'm not a big Cook fan as of this moment.  He strikes me as a poor version of Derrick Henry and I didn't really like Henry coming out either.  But I haven't watched nearly enough of him yet to form a concrete opinion.
Cook and Henry are nothing alike. A more apt comparison would be to Charles. Also, there is no chance the Steelers use a first rounder on a RB next year.

Cook and Henry are nothing alike. A more apt comparison would be to Charles. Also, there is no chance the Steelers use a first rounder on a RB next year.
Yeah, I cant really think of a poorer comparison for Cook than a "poor version of Derrick Henry."

Nothing alike.

Yeah, I cant really think of a poorer comparison for Cook than a "poor version of Derrick Henry."

Nothing alike.
So glad this forum is just dumping on others opinions... They are both very stiff from what I've seen and are slow to gain speed.  That's what I see from both.

So glad this forum is just dumping on others opinions... They are both very stiff from what I've seen and are slow to gain speed.  That's what I see from both.
Henry isn't stiff and neither is Cook.  Fournette is what stiff looks like.  That is, if you understand how the human body works.

Just because Cook doesn't do a lot of dancing and juking like a LeSean McCoy doesn't mean he doesn't move laterally well.  He just chooses to be a downhill type of runner instead of a scatback.  A better comparison would be the NFL version of Lamar Miller.

Henry isn't stiff and neither is Cook.  Fournette is what stiff looks like.  That is, if you understand how the human body works.

Just because Cook doesn't do a lot of dancing and juking like a LeSean McCoy doesn't mean he doesn't move laterally well.  He just chooses to be a downhill type of runner instead of a scatback.  A better comparison would be the NFL version of Lamar Miller.
Fournette is definitely "stiffer" than Cook I'll concede to that.  But I see very little Lamar Miller, or Jamaal Charles as others have pointed out.  

You all seem to think when I say "stiff" I mean he sucks, but that's not the case.  Tevin Coleman is stiff (or are you going to tell me he isn't?) but he's doing good things right now.  That's the most recent example I can think of.  

He's a more compact Henry from what I see, with a little more suddenness to his game.  Being smaller will do that to a guy if you don't know how the human body works Xue.  It seems as though Cook does the little things better though so who knows.  Like I said in my first post, I haven't really watched enough to form a concrete opinion, until I re-watched a lot of him today.  Starting to see what others see about his talent.  

Anyone think he ran angrier in 2015 than 2016 so far?  I know we haven't seen all of him yet this year, but I kind of get that sense after watching a bunch of his games. 

Fournette is definitely "stiffer" than Cook I'll concede to that.  But I see very little Lamar Miller, or Jamaal Charles as others have pointed out.  

You all seem to think when I say "stiff" I mean he sucks, but that's not the case.  Tevin Coleman is stiff (or are you going to tell me he isn't?) but he's doing good things right now.  That's the most recent example I can think of.  

He's a more compact Henry from what I see, with a little more suddenness to his game.  Being smaller will do that to a guy if you don't know how the human body works Xue.  It seems as though Cook does the little things better though so who knows.  Like I said in my first post, I haven't really watched enough to form a concrete opinion, until I re-watched a lot of him today.  Starting to see what others see about his talent.  

Anyone think he ran angrier in 2015 than 2016 so far?  I know we haven't seen all of him yet this year, but I kind of get that sense after watching a bunch of his games. 

Charles shows much more flex and does more side to side running, so I don't like that comp either.  Miller ran like a scatback in college, but became more of downhill runner in the NFL.  The Charles comparison stems from both their speed and acceleration, especially after contact, not really running style.

I don't think being stiff means a RB sucks, it just means they have limitations and might need to be in a certain scheme.

Coleman isn't stiff either.  You're going to have to define what stiff means because if you're describing how they actually move, you're not using the correct word.  Just because RBs like to run in a straight line instead of doing a lot of juking doesn't make them "stiff".  If you want to say "this RB does a lot of straight line running" that's fine.  That's not "stiff".

You compared Cook to Henry but now say one guy is better in a certain area because his body is a different size.  If you know that a different body size does things in a different way they why did you make the comparison in the first place?  You're basically admitting it was a bad comparison without having to admit it.

I think Cook doesn't look as explosive this year as last, but it could just be not having as good of blocking resulting in not having as many long run opportunities.

It's great to see that he's being used more as a receiver and is actually doing a lot better in that department than a player who was thought of as an excellent receiving threat, Christian McCaffrey.

Stiff- Not easily bent or changed in shape; rigid

When I see both Cook and Henry they are more downhill which might be the cause of what I'm seeing, but when they run it seems to very rounded and not smooth in their transition from one move they do to the next.  And before you twist my words into saying he's not a "scatback" with his cutting that's not what I am saying.  He can make cuts, but again his transition from that cut into more drive from his legs for example is not a smooth transtition.  That's what I mean when I'm using that word.  Perhaps there's a better one to use than "stiff" that I am unaware of.  They don't fit easily into holes with contorting, or are decisive when it comes to their movement or combining a couple of movements together in a smooth fashion, but their decisions seem to be good.  Now you might think I'm describing their instincts, which I am but their reaction to that instinct is my definition of "stiff".  

My partial reason for posting in the first place was to watch more of him and maybe see what others are seeing.  I usually don't do a whole lot of my evaluations until February but figured I'd get a jump start.  I've watched a good bit so far and I do like him.  It usually takes one hell of a lot for me to love a RB prospect and so far I'm not loving any of the RB's from 2017.  His receiving is a plus this year for sure, that and he blocks relatively well.  Anyone know anything about his character?

FSU junior RB Dalvin Cook rushed for 150 yards on 27 carries while catching a 59-yard touchdown pass in Saturday's 20-19 win over Miami.
Cook didn't score via any of his fine ground work, but he did break free downfield for the 59-yard receiving score in the third quarter. After failing to crack 100 yards rushing in any of the first three games of the season, the 6-foot, 200-pound junior has passed the century mark in each of his past three games. In that space, he has sliced his way to 557 yards and five touchdowns.

FSU junior RB Dalvin Cook's "ability to pick up big yardage from the line of scrimmage and break long runs is incredibly impressive" for his size, writes TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.
"Though he doesn’t have a lot of receptions on the stats sheet his pass catching skills are NFL worthy," Pauline wrote. "I’m not sold Cook will be the first back selected in the draft, and word is he will leave for the NFL after the season, but he will compete for the top spot at the position." The 6-foot, 200-pound Cook has logged 557 yards and five touchdowns thus far. Last week against Miami, he had 150 yards on 27 carries.

Source: TFY Draft Insider 
Oct 13 - 9:20 PM

159 yards on 16 carries!

Making his case to be the 1st back taken in the draft.

He'll be breaking a few records soon.

Tex

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread