What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dalvin Cook, Free Agent (2 Viewers)

Boone and Roc Thomas have been playing well behind this offensive line.

I think that bodes well for what Cook will be able to do.
You seem well plugged in to the Vikings...I’ve liked what I see of both these guys in preseason.

In a very deep dynasty, which of these two would you say is the better stash?

You seem well plugged in to the Vikings...I’ve liked what I see of both these guys in preseason.

In a very deep dynasty, which of these two would you say is the better stash?
That is a tough call. Before the last game I would say Roc Thomas who has great speed and some good footwork and moves to go with it.

Boone is a more powerful RB who somewhat reminds me of Leroy Hoard.

If you have enough roster space I would say both are worthy of a churn spot. Boone seems like more of a workhorse type RB while Thomas more of a COP of speciality back, but I have only seen two games of each guy so far. Possible Thomas could be a starter as well I suppose. Thomas isn't as poweful as Boone. The two RB have pretty different running styles.

Boone is more like Murray. Thomas is more like McKinnon.

I am not sure if the Vikings will be able to keep both, so one of them might be changing teams soon.

No this isn't true. Everything you said to support this idea is also just in your head. It isn't how the coaches feel about it at all.

You are talking about a RB who averaged 25 touches per game at the college level and 24 touches per game at the NFL level. He has shown he can be productive with a high workload and that he has the talent to deserve a big workload.

His injury was non contact variety could have happened at any time. I don't see any relationship between the injury and Cooks workload.
You're a little late to the party Bia.

Yeah my bad.

Cook seems fine though. He may play a bit in the 3rd preseason game.
I like Cook, I honestly can't argue against his RB10 ADP between Hunt (9) and McCaffrey (11). I also have them ranked in that order even if I can see me drinking the McCaffrey Kool-Aid on draft day.

But because of the injury, the loss of Shurmer, death of Sparano, my belief that the offensive line will decline (negatively impacting Cook's efficiency) and my belief that he will be spelled more (I see 350 touches as his absolute max ceiling and think he will end up much closer to 300)  I can't see me drafting him over any of the guys currently ranked ahead of him and I might bump him below both McCaffrey and Devonta. 

So I think it is unlikely I will have him on my team unless he falls a few spots.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Cook, I honestly can't argue against his RB10 ADP between Hunt (9) and McCaffrey (11). I also have them ranked in that order even if I can see me drinking the McCaffrey Kool-Aid on draft day.

But because of the injury, the loss of Shurmer, death of Sparano, my belief that the offensive line will decline (negatively impacting Cook's efficiency) and my belief that he will be spelled more (I see 350 touches as his absolute max ceiling and think he will end up much closer to 300)  I can't see me drafting him over any of the guys currently ranked ahead of him and I might bump him below both McCaffrey and Devonta. 

So I think it is unlikely I will have him on my team unless he falls a few spots.
I don't really see Shurmur as a loss because DeFlippo has done some good things with QBs recently as well. He isn't as experienced as a coordinator as Shurmur is, but he has also done that job before as well. It is a very similar offensive system to what Shurmur was running last season. Shurmur was on the Eagles offensive staff not that long ago as well you know?

As far as the ofensive line, one of the possibilities is that as a whole they are worse than the group in 2017. Or they could play at a similar level with some different players, or they could be improved with some of the new players doing a good job.

We don't know which it is going to be or maybe it will be a mixture of things as players are injured during the season. Maybe the Vikings offensive line starts out slow but improves as the season goes on. Maybe they start well then regress as injuries mount like last season.

From what I have seen of the new players who did play a little bit last season, such as Isidora and Collins, as well as new center Edison who was acquired but didn't play last year, they are capable players.

Collins in particular is very interesting as he has been playing right tackle (Started for Hill who is dinged right now) then left tackle with the second team, then left guard with the 3rd team. He played some 3rd tackle on inbalanced line or as a TE last year as well and the Vikings blocked very well on plays he was in (obligatory Kyle Rudolph sucks at blocking comment) that role. Collins has played the most snaps of any offensive player in the first two preseason games. 79% then 85% of the offensive snaps. I have been watching him with great interest and I think he is doing a good job more often than not. He is physical and can move defenders off their spot.

Edison at center has had many good blocks in the running game as well. Isidora is doing a good job. You see some very good blocking for Murray and the other Vikings RB at times. I think the offensive line is going to have more issues with pass blocking than run blocking.

All of those players you mention are very good and in similar tier as Cook. 

Coach Mike Zimmer confirmed Dalvin Cook (knee) is "ready to roll" for Week 1 against the 49ers.

There wasn't any doubt about Cook's availability for the opener, but just how big of a workload he'll see against San Francisco remains a legitimate question. Cook rushed just two times for one yard this preseason. If he wasn't coming off an injury, that wouldn't be much of a concern, but it signals the Vikings could hold him back some in the early stages of the season. Latavius Murray could play a larger role in September and should be added in standard, TD-heavy leagues.

Source: Matt Barrows on Twitter 

Sep 5 - 11:03 AM

Vikings OC John DeFilippo said he's "not sure" if Dalvin Cook (knee) will be on a pitch count against the 49ers in Week 1.

"There’s nothing that hasn’t told us that he can’t carry the load," said DeFilippo. "If that does arise where he needs a break, we’re confident in all the guys that we’re able to put in the football game." There seems to be some #CompetitiveAdvantage going on here as the Vikings don't want to reveal too much of their game plan ahead of time, though it does sound like the coaching staff is fairly confident in Cook's ability to handle a full workload or something close to it. Even with Latavius Murray a threat to poach goal-line carries, Cook still belongs on the RB1 borderline this week and going forward.

Source: Courtney Cronin on Twitter 

Sep 6 - 1:13 PM

Cook has been in there for the first two drives. The Vikings started off with a pass to Cook, then a run for the first down, then a check down to Cook.

Tom Compton having a lot of trouble blocking Buckner and Cousins facing pressure.

Cook avoiding tackles with good footwork. Two strong runs on the last drive but he fumbles the ball being tackled from behind by 48 of the 49ers.

Cook has the ball out away from his body on the fumble. Likely using his arms to try to pick up speed after stepping through the trash.

Cook avoiding tackles with good footwork. Two strong runs on the last drive but he fumbles the ball being tackled from behind by 48 of the 49ers.

Cook has the ball out away from his body on the fumble. Likely using his arms to try to pick up speed after stepping through the trash.

In his defense, trying to keep that many guys from stripping him of the ball is asking a lot.

Plus, I'm sure they're confident they can sit him against the Bills. Game script probably not in his favor even if he was 100%. He'll be sitting on my bench too.

Anyone who took Cook without handcuffing him is learning a valuable lesson right now. Dude went into the season questionable, and with a capable backup reportedly in a time-share. 

I happily grabbed Murray with my 3rd to last pick & held onto him for a couple weeks as a “lottery ticket”

i feel like I just hit triple 7’s on a slot machine. Rest well Mr Cook - take your time.   :pickle:

Anyone who took Cook without handcuffing him is learning a valuable lesson right now. Dude went into the season questionable, and with a capable backup reportedly in a time-share. 

I happily grabbed Murray with my 3rd to last pick & held onto him for a couple weeks as a “lottery ticket”

i feel like I just hit triple 7’s on a slot machine. Rest well Mr Cook - take your time.   :pickle:
I snagged him off the WW Tuesday night, may have overpaid, but it was worth it as I am playing against the Cook owner this week. His team his loaded, but at least this will help me get an edge somewhere. Just wish I kept Hyde in my RB2 spot so i could flex in Murray and have them both going.

I snagged him off the WW Tuesday night, may have overpaid, but it was worth it as I am playing against the Cook owner this week. His team his loaded, but at least this will help me get an edge somewhere. Just wish I kept Hyde in my RB2 spot so i could flex in Murray and have them both going.
Me & my big mouth - a good friend who’s pretty new to FFB (2nd season) dropped Murray after spending a late pick on him in my IDP league. 

He cleared waivers and I was about to add him, when a bout of empathy hit - I texted him & told him, “you should probably pick Murray back up - they’re in a time-share, Cook is coming off injury & you’ve got a hurt DB who’s far more droppable.” 

He added him back & thanked me profusely for the mentoring. 

Naturally he’s in my division, and naturally I face him this week. 

No good deed goes unpunished, as they say. I need to be more cutthroat. :doh:  

But for us Cook owners this is perfect.  Now we don't have to worry about how much time might Cook get before he is rested against the sorry Bills.  

Me & my big mouth - a good friend who’s pretty new to FFB (2nd season) dropped Murray after spending a late pick on him in my IDP league. 

He cleared waivers and I was about to add him, when a bout of empathy hit - I texted him & told him, “you should probably pick Murray back up - they’re in a time-share, Cook is coming off injury & you’ve got a hurt DB who’s far more droppable.” 

He added him back & thanked me profusely for the mentoring. 

Naturally he’s in my division, and naturally I face him this week. 

No good deed goes unpunished, as they say. I need to be more cutthroat. :doh:  
Naw you did the right thing if he only has two years of FF experience and is already taking on IDP leagues.

Naw you did the right thing if he only has two years of FF experience and is already taking on IDP leagues.
 This is the only league he’s ever had, last year in this. And there’s 11 sharks in there, so I feel a little bad for the guppy already. Last year I believe he went three and 11. 

Hard to watch a team thin at RB drop a viable player. 

This is the only league he’s ever had, last year in this. And there’s 11 sharks in there, so I feel a little bad for the guppy already. Last year I believe he went three and 11. 

Hard to watch a team thin at RB drop a viable player. 
Tell him to pick up Roc Thomas or Mike Boone.

My cousin and I are debating who will play more with Cook out.

Boones running style is more similar to Murray, while Roc Thomas is more of a COP speed RB who is good in space.

Boone is more powerful, could be a feature RB and he can catch the ball. I am not sure which is the better receiving option between the two. I think overall Boone is a better RB.

Boone is questionable for this game with a groin injury, so maybe they won't use him as much as Thomas because of that. 

Anyhow if the rosters are deep enough and he has some dead weight I think either Boone or Thomas are worth a speculative add.

Tell him to pick up Roc Thomas or Mike Boone.

My cousin and I are debating who will play more with Cook out.

Boones running style is more similar to Murray, while Roc Thomas is more of a COP speed RB who is good in space.

Boone is more powerful, could be a feature RB and he can catch the ball. I am not sure which is the better receiving option between the two. I think overall Boone is a better RB.

Boone is questionable for this game with a groin injury, so maybe they won't use him as much as Thomas because of that. 

Anyhow if the rosters are deep enough and he has some dead weight I think either Boone or Thomas are worth a speculative add.
lol - he’s facing me this week. There’s only so much generosity. :lol:  

Dalvin Cook (hamstring) says he'll "definitely" be ready for Week 4 against the Rams.

Cook is ruled out for this week, but the Vikings playing on Thursday night played a role in that decision. Minnesota has been conservative with Cook after last year's torn ACL, holding him out of all but one preseason game and monitoring his practice reps. Cook should return to the 74 percent of snaps he was averaging if he's cleared for Week 4.

Source: Chris Tomasson on Twitter 

Sep 22 - 6:31 PM

Dalvin Cook (hamstring) considers himself day to day and is unsure of his Week 4 status against the Rams.

Cook said there's a "good chance" he'll be ready for Thursday's game, but that's actually a downgrade from the weekend, when he said he would "definitely" be out there. Cook was also initially optimistic about his Week 3 status before never practicing. We would consider him on the wrong side of questionable for Week 4.

Source: Courtney Cronin on Twitter 

Sep 24 - 2:44 PM

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer says there's a "possibility" Dalvin Cook (hamstring) plays Thursday against the Rams.

Cook is looking on the wrong side of questionable after he initially insisted he would be active. Even if Cook does play, it would be risky to assume a normal workload. It's possible Cook ends up a game-time decision, but the Vikings don't really play injury games. We should have a good idea by the time Wednesday's injury report is released.
Definitely > "Good chance" > "possibility"

Never trust players regarding injuries...

I don't know if I'd start him even if he is going to play which sucks.  He could have a monster year but he may also turn in to another Fournette.

I haven't heard how much Cook participated in practice today, but afterwards he said his hammy "feels great".

Cook is either a very poor judge of his injuries or Zimmer is pulling a Hoodie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread