What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dalvin Cook, Free Agent (3 Viewers)

Dalvin Cook (hamstring) is questionable for Week 6 against the Cardinals.

Cook indicated he only wanted to play if he was back at full health. "Me going out there 80 percent, 70 percent, I’m not going to be able to help my team like that," he said. "We got a bunch of guys that are 100 percent that can help the team win football games. At this point, it’s just me getting 100 percent so I can go out there and be who I am and that’s be explosive." He was notably a full participant in practice on Thursday. It sounds like Cook will only be active if he's in full form, returning him to prominent low-end RB1 status if he plays.
Maybe he's sticking to his guns. I really needed him this week, but if he comes back 100% I'd be happy.

I keep thinking this guys is a buy low, but then again the second I buy him he could be put on IR.

Something doesn't smell right  about this situation.

Here's a thread about pulled hammies. Bottom line: you're better off letting them heal completely before playing. Long term, a week late > than a week early.

Buy next week and get a healthy Cook for week 9 after the bye. 

ESPN Vikings reporter Courtney Cronin reports multiple league sources have indicated Dalvin Cook (hamstring) will be out through the Week 10 bye.

It's been a lost season for Cook after last year's ACL tear. He's battled an ongoing hamstring injury suffered last month against the Rams. Cook has tried numerous times to practice, but he's seemingly aggravated it each time. The Vikings appear ready to just sit him down through the bye week in hopes of having Cook for the stretch run. Latavius Murray will continue to carry the load in the meantime with rookies Roc Thomas and Mike Boone as the backups.
It took awhile but they finally are getting him rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Frankman said:
It took awhile but the finally are getting him rest.
...and yet Yahoo had him upgraded to "questionable" meaning I had to move him out of my IR spot and drop someone before I could cover a bye at another position :hot:

...and yet Yahoo had him upgraded to "questionable" meaning I had to move him out of my IR spot and drop someone before I could cover a bye at another position :hot:
I've never played in a league where a player who wasn't actually on IR could be placed in an IR spot. Weird.

Man, I was toying with making an offer for him last night thinking he’s close to a return. 

Now I’m glad I didn’t. He could still be a decent buy-low, but that hammy can’t get right. I’m not sure a couple weeks it gonna fix it. And because he was a late 1st or early 2nd rounder, the asking price is likely to be higher than I’d like to pay. 

I've never played in a league where a player who wasn't actually on IR could be placed in an IR spot. Weird.
My leagues used to have issues with that all the time. We had a league rule that only doubtful or out designation could be in the IR slot, but it got abused by people hoarding players using IR as a spot to put anyone with a Red Cross next to their name. It was a pain in the butt for commishes who had to police everyone’s roster. 

CBS now has an IR setting where it can only be used by someone who’s actually on the NFL IR, and so we’re likely to implement that next year since the new rules of “designated to return” were put in. 

I threw an offer out there but haven't heard back yet. I offered my 2nd in 2019 and 1st in 2020. I'm a Vikings Homer so I might have over-offered.
Was considering offering 2 1sts: a mid and a late. Seems a little steep for a guy who may have chronic hamstring problems in his career (I'm starting to worry for this). 

Anyone trying to buy in Dynasty? I'm starting to shy away
Dr Dan I think that you've missed the boat time to have given up on Cook was as soon as the injured hammy happened. this guy is made of glass. he had 4 decent games in a 2 year NFL career. I think Minnesota goes in another direction next year , i.e., draft's another RB or two, along with Olinemen. You're right in that you should shy away from trying to buy this guy in dynasty, he's a full fledged nfl bust at this point. let someone else trade for him.

note: I dumped him 3 weeks ago in dynasty , gave up next years 3rd round pick, and got Goff in return.LOL'ed all the way to the bank on that.

I own him in all of my leagues, mostly through trades. Some of which I regret, but the vast majority I paid a very low price. I'm holding out hope that I can maintain until he comes back, and then get a big boost from him since Murray is meh. Being 3rd or 4th in all leagues, I think that if he comes back in week 11 and I can get a couple wins the last few weeks I should be able to make the playoffs.

I sadly have him and Fournette in 2 leagues, but lucked into Chubb and Conner for now. 

Dr Dan I think that you've missed the boat time to have given up on Cook was as soon as the injured hammy happened. this guy is made of glass. he had 4 decent games in a 2 year NFL career. I think Minnesota goes in another direction next year , i.e., draft's another RB or two, along with Olinemen. You're right in that you should shy away from trying to buy this guy in dynasty, he's a full fledged nfl bust at this point. let someone else trade for him.

note: I dumped him 3 weeks ago in dynasty , gave up next years 3rd round pick, and got Goff in return.LOL'ed all the way to the bank on that.
While I figured his hamstring was a bad sign, especially coming off an ACL tear, I figured he could still rebound after a solid 4-6 weeks of rest. 

I wouldn't go as far as to say Cook is an NFL bust and MIN will out draft him. That would be a little crazy on their part IMO unless he has another year next year like this. I see them drafting a RB, but not within the first 2-3 rounds (there is some really nice 3rd round talent in the RB pool next year though). 

You say he's made of glass, but his injury history is fairly insignificant. I was not anticipating a big season from him, although I did grab him on my subscriber team because I thought his value was exceptional. 

Is offering Chubb in redraft ppr too much?

Im essentially in the playoffs so ok waiting on him

I tried to buy with a fairly low offer, pretty much 2 1sts plus a bit more.

I had a bad feeling clicking send on that one and felt somewhat relieved when the offer got declined. 
I've been thinking of sending out the same type of offer but then click cancel every time.

tkrull said:
I've only been offered a single 1st and a bit.  Declined or countered every time.
I own Cook in dynasty. Two late firsts seems fair for him but it'd be something I'd counter or turn down also unless I had really soured on him.

Realistically, I think I'd trade him + my 2019 1st (9-12 range)/Courtland Sutton/Mike Williams for Zach Ertz + 2019 3rd (1-3 range) and would think about moving him for George Kittle straight up (Jimmy Graham is my weakest starter and my backups Hayden Hurst and Geoff Swaim aren't reliable).

The only offer I've had for him in my dynasty league is Kenyon Drake straight up. That was an easy reject considering I have 5 starting quality RBs already plus Cook and Fournette.

I would think at least some title contenders would be somewhat receptive to offers but I think you'd have to offer them somebody who addresses a weakness or a prospect that they like more. Cook still offers quite a bit of upside so rebuilding teams might just be best offering crossing their fingers and hoping for the best with Cook. There's a lot more Breshad Perriman types at the end of the 1st round of dynasty rookie drafts then Alvin Kamara types.

He's had the equivalent of 5 bye weeks already.
And keeps rushing back and re-injuring himself, costing him more time. Dr. Chao and Stephanina Bell already were vindicated, saying his workload was too much too soon coming off the ACL tear. He needs to sit out without practicing for a full week because he just keeps getting set back.

And keeps rushing back and re-injuring himself, costing him more time. Dr. Chao and Stephanina Bell already were vindicated, saying his workload was too much too soon coming off the ACL tear. He needs to sit out without practicing for a full week because he just keeps getting set back.
Just pushing back against the notion that his teammates not having to play a game is all the cure Cook's hamstring needs. 

Totally agreed.  In my profession, I see very "experienced" people who control tons of dough make utterly idiotic decision all the time.  I don't know what is going on with Dalvin... but seriously between Fournette and Cook, and with everything MIN has going for it this week (and Murray playing damned well), I would think a competent staff would simply sit him.

If I owned one of these franchises I would light up the staff without hesitation if this guy is out the rest of the season, when they could have just sat him this week and given him two more weeks of rest.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/12138/dalvin-cook

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune's Ben Goessling reports the Vikings "plan" to have Dalvin Cook (hamstring) active and play "limited" reps Week 9 against the Lions.

We're not sure why the Vikings plan to rush Cook out there with the bye next week, especially with Latavius Murray producing like a top-10 back the last month, but it is what it is. Ultimately, we expect Murray to remain the lead dog with Cook mixing in to knock some rust off and feel good heading into the open date ahead of the stretch run. Murray is still an RB2. Cook will be desperation RB3/FLEX. Murray owners can remain confident in starting him. Nov 2 - 12:22 PM

Source: Ben Goessling on Twitter

Let's recap. Last time he was supposed to play limited snaps he was quoted leading up to the game saying he felt it was best to wait until he was 100%... They worked him out pre-game, he ended up not playing, then re injured it the following Wednesday.

So he took a two week break.

Now this week he was quoted saying he feels great, still worried about how it will respond during game conditions .. but still much more positive comments.

If he does end up playing limited snaps and looks good, he'll be that much closer to taking back a 75% snap share he had early on.

iamkoza said:
Let's recap. Last time he was supposed to play limited snaps he was quoted leading up to the game saying he felt it was best to wait until he was 100%... They worked him out pre-game, he ended up not playing, then re injured it the following Wednesday.

So he took a two week break.

Now this week he was quoted saying he feels great, still worried about how it will respond during game conditions .. but still much more positive comments.

If he does end up playing limited snaps and looks good, he'll be that much closer to taking back a 75% snap share he had early on.
... this is the same path to re-injury he's done twice this year. First off, he didn't take a two week break; that implies he sat WITHOUT PRACTICING at all. As you can see from the reports, he didn't. When you aggravate a pre-existing injury you're supposed to wait even longer to make sure you don't re-injure it. Add to the fact he's a year off shredding is ACL... it's much too soon too fast. It's mind-numbingly stupid that the team isn't shutting him down through the Bye. It's one thing if they had no running game, but Latavius Murray and Friends have done a good job with the improved line play. Why risk Cook being out another 3 weeks?

As a Bears fan and former Cook owner, I just have to laugh at the absolute stupidity being shown here. We all know what the definition of insanity is... it's what's going on here.

According to ESPN Vikings reporter Courtney Cronin, Dalvin Cook (questionable, hamstring) will be on the field for around 8-12 plays against the Lions in Week 9.

This differs slightly from the number given by Ben Goessling of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, who heard that Cook will play 15-20 snaps "at most." Either way, Cook won't see anywhere close to a full workload in his first game back from a nagging hamstring injury. Latavius Murray will see a slight workload reduction upon Cook's return, though it probably won't be enough to take him off the RB2 map.
... 8 to 12 plays

EIGHT TO TWELVE PLAYS

WHY IS HE ALLOWED TO PRACTICE WITHOUT BEING FULLY HEALTHY?

WHY IS MINNESOTA NOT RESTRICTING HIM FROM THE FIELD AFTER RE-INJURING HIMSELF TWICE?

WHY? WHY? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

... 8 to 12 plays

EIGHT TO TWELVE PLAYS

WHY IS HE ALLOWED TO PRACTICE WITHOUT BEING FULLY HEALTHY?

WHY IS MINNESOTA NOT RESTRICTING HIM FROM THE FIELD AFTER RE-INJURING HIMSELF TWICE?

WHY? WHY? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?
I don't think he plays. This could be a repeat of last week. I think this is a case of the player being smarter than the team, claiming he doesn't want to come back until he's 100%. That statement is the only one that makes sense out of everything being said. They have a bye week. This is a no-brainer. They have to sit him or they are insane.

Wow, this should probably go in the "Obviously Stupid" thread.

If he's not healthy, he should play ZERO EFFING PLAYS?  Did they not learn from the first time around with this?  Complete idiots to even risk it.  The only way this isn't stupid is if they think he really is 100 percent but are just being extra cautious by barely playing him just to be sure... but that does not sound like the case.

FFS... he has already re-injured it once.

I can't argue it seems stupid to play him this week and I hope they reconsider but mulling this over I do see one aspect that makes some sense to play him on a limited snap count if they think he's close to 100% healthy. Has not played since week 4, only has 45 touches on the season after sitting out almost a whole calendar year.  I think there is a good chance they are not trying to play him because they feel an immediate need but might be feeling the need to try and knock some of the rust off and maybe build him up from a conditioning perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread