What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dalvin Cook, Free Agent (7 Viewers)

Get some playmakers on the field.   I would try something if I was the Vikings.  That doesn’t help the horrible D but they are only going to win games by scoring a lot of points.  The D isn’t winning games for Minnesota.  
Well that is why I asked it as an open ended question. I open to anything at this point.

The 2 RB set has fallen out of favor in the league compared to what it once was. Basically the 2nd RB has been replaced by a slot receiver. Either a TE or a WR instead of the 2nd RB. Thats not to say that the 2 RB offense isn't viable and for example what Cleveland is doing with Chubb and Hunt is great and not that far off from where the Vikings offense wants to be. I don't think the offensive line is good enough to run the ball that effectively. Dozier and Elflien are not good starters and Samia couldn't beat them out for a job. Ezra Cleveland does not seem near being able to contribute either.

I don't think Mattison is a better receiver than Jefferson. Johnson or Sharpe and I don't think he is a better blocker than Irv Smith. So from a personnel stand point I don't think that would be putting the best players on the field to attack all levels of the defense. Besides the Vikings have CJ Ham. So theres your 2 RB offense.

Unless the Vikings learn to play defense the Vikings are going to need to throw the ball and so I also do not see how using Cook and Mattison at the same time helps them do that better.

This Kirk Cousins thing isn't working out so well. Hindsight 20/20 I wish they had kept Teddy. The players believed in him.

Dalvin Cook rushed 22 times for 181 yards and one touchdown in the Vikings' Week 3 loss to the Titans.

Cook reeled in 2-of-5 targets for 18 yards in the passing game. The 181 yards on the ground were a single-game high for Cook's career. His touchdown came on a perfectly-blocked 39-yard scamper through the right side. Despite all of the Vikings' struggles at 0-3, Cook still has at least one touchdown in all three games. Cook will remain a top-end RB1 for Week 4 against the Texans, who coughed up 100-plus yards and a touchdown to James Conner in Week 3.

Sep 27, 2020, 4:29 PM ET

Dalvin Cook rushed 27 times for 130 yards and two touchdowns in the Vikings' Week 4 win over the Texans, adding two receptions for 16 additional yards. 

Cook's long run went for "only" 15 yards, but he looked lethal with the ball in his hands, routinely finding the edge and turning in 6-7 yard gains. He could have had a third touchdown in the fourth quarter but had to check near the goal line after having the wind knocked out of him. Now up to 311 yards rushing over his past two games, Cook has a Week 5 smash spot in the Seahawks. Even with the Vikings all but certain to have to go pass happy, there will be checkdowns to absorb and drives to finish in the red zone. Cook will be a top-three fantasy option. 

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Cook just went to the Locker room holding his groin not looking good. Went straight there after the catch 
Non-contact, hobbled out of bounds to avoid the tackle clearly in distress. Immediately went to a squat & started massaging his groin-area. I’d be shocked if this wasn’t significant but I don’t want to speculate. It definitely looked bad 

This just feels like the same song, different verse.

He's an awesome player but these injuries...
I don't want to be that guy, but this(and Mattison being a promising prospect) was a big reason I was happy letting Cook walk after the year. Cook is absolutely a top-10 NFL RB, but the scheme doesn't require an elite RB, and they have a ton of cap issues going forward.

Hopefully the injury isn't too bad. With Atlanta next week, and then a bye, I'd be ok sitting him if he isn't 100% and giving him almost 3 weeks to heal. 

It certainly didn’t appear as bad as the Montgomery injury and he only missed a couple weeks. Hopefully we’ll get good news today.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said the team will see how Dalvin Cook (groin) does in practice before determining his status for Week 6 against the Falcons.

"It went pretty well," Zimmer responded when asked how Cook's MRI went, "so we'll see how he does [in practice] this week." Alexander Mattison out-snapped Mike Boone 43 to 5 down the stretch and would presumably work as Minnesota's bell-cow if Cook is ruled out. Whomever receives the start against Atlanta will rank as a RB1 since the Falcons have permitted the most catches (43) and receiving scores (4) to opposing running backs this year. Cook's participation in practice this week will be worth monitoring. Note that the Vikings could still opt to rest Cook even if he's healthy since the team hits their bye the following week.

SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on Twitter

Oct 12, 2020, 5:35 PM ET

Biabreakable said:
Mike Zimmer can be candid about some things. The injury status of his players is not one of those things.
Very true, I remember when Hunter had a minor neck twinge.

Long Ball Larry said:
It went pretty well.

the machine stayed on the whole time and they got the images they needed.  Plus they brought him a fresca
I'd settle for the machine not somehow falling on top of him.

(RotoWire) Cook isn't expected to play Sunday against the Falcons after an MRI revealed he sustained an adductor strain in the Vikings' Week 5 loss to the Seahawks, Chad Graff of The Athletic reports.

Analysis: Though he rewarded fantasy managers with 89 total yards and a touchdown on 22 touches in the 27-26 loss in Seattle, Cook tweaked his groin in the third quarter and ultimately wasn't able to keep playing after briefly re-entering the contest. While the follow-up MRI a day later cleared him of a major injury, Cook doesn't look like he'll have enough time to get back to full health ahead of Sunday's contest. Fortunately for Cook, the Vikings are on bye in Week 7, which could provide him with sufficient recovery time in advance of a key matchup with the division-leading Packers in Week 8. Alexander Mattison, who rumbled for 112 yards on 20 carries to go with three receptions for 24 yards against Seattle, should be in store for a full workload Sunday while Cook is on the mend.

Dalvin Cook (groin) is not practicing Wednesday.

This doesn't come as a surprise. It's already been reported that Cook is not expected to play this week against the Falcons, but Cook isn't ready to rule himself out, saying he's taking things day by day. Alexander Mattison would be a top-12 play if Cook misses Sunday.

RELATED: 

Alexander Mattison

Oct 14, 2020, 2:41 PM ET

Vikings RB Dalvin Cook (groin) is not practicing Thursday. 

Cook, who didn't practice Wednesday, wasn't able to return to last Sunday night's game against the Seahawks after exiting with the groin injury. Without at least a limited practice Friday, fantasy players should make alternative plans for Week 6. Alexander Mattison shapes up as a top fantasy option against the Falcons this week if Cook is inactive. 

RELATED: 

Alexander Mattison

SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on Twitter 

Oct 15, 2020, 12:24 PM ET

was hoping to see him at least get in a LP this week. Three DNP's though.... week 8 may be in serious jeopardy. rest up dalvin!

Good.   Heal up.   Return to the field close to 100% in week 8 or 9.  
Yep, don't make the same mistakes the Saints and Giants did last year. Last thing you want to do is rush him back and have him suffer a worse injury trying to compensate, especially since they just gave him a long term deal. 

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Dalvin Cook (groin) is expected to return in Week 8 against the Packers.

Pelissero added that his source said there is a "99.999 percent chance" that Cook returns in Week 8 to face the Packers. Minnesota has a Week 7 bye so Cook will have ample time to rest and recover. Alexander Mattison will draw the start this week. He carried the ball 20 times last week for 112 yards and added three catches. He's a safe RB1 option versus the Falcons this week.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Oct 18, 2020, 10:31 AM ET

Kubiak offered optimism that Cook is ready to re-join team practice, saying “it’ll be good to get Dalvin [Cook] back on the practice field today (Monday) and get back to work,” Vikings Territory’s Sean Borman reported.

RotoWire) Coach Mike Zimmer said that Cook (groin) will practice Wednesday.

Analysis: It remains to be seen if Cook is listed as a limited or full participant, but Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press relays that Zimmer noted that he assumes the running back, who last suited up in Week 5, will be ready for Sunday's game against the Packers

Vikings RB Dalvin Cook (groin) was limited at Thursday's practice. 

Vikings offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak said Cook would probably not be on a pitch count Sunday against the Packers. It will have been three weeks since Cook last played if he gets the green light for Week 8. Fantasy managers should plug him in if he's active. Alexander Mattison remains one of fantasy's most valuable bench stashes. 

RELATED: 

Alexander Mattison

SOURCE: Ben Goessling on Twitter 

Oct 29, 2020, 3:50 PM ET

Cook has had two limited practices which isn't surprising given the grion injury that really just needs time and rest to heal. 

I think he will practice in full today and he should play against the Packers on Sunday.

I'm thankful to be able to start him again but the Vikings defense is missing even more dudes this week. In a blowout situation Cook could still get benched early.

I'm thankful to be able to start him again but the Vikings defense is missing even more dudes this week. In a blowout situation Cook could still get benched early.
I doubt it. Cook still gives them the best chance to win as a receiver even if they are chasing the score board.

The Vikings do have two corners not practicing right now and of course they are down one of their best pass rusher after the Ngakoue trade.

Vikings RB Dalvin Cook (groin) is questionable for Week 8 against the Packers. 

Cook will suit up Sunday against Green Bay. Head coach Mike Zimmer said Cook would not have restrictions on playing time this week after he missed the team's Week 6 game against Atlanta. Cook, getting the Vikings' bye week to recover from the groin injury he suffered in Week 5, should be locked into fantasy lineups this week. 

SOURCE: Minnesota Vikings on Twitter 

Oct 30, 2020, 2:17 PM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Vikings RB Dalvin Cook is expected to play "with a full workload" in Week 8 against the Packers.

The plan was always for Cook to return after Minnesota's Week 7 bye barring any setbacks. Earlier this week, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said that Cook wouldn't have any restrictions after returning. Cook was a top-five fantasy back before his injury and should be put back into that same range moving forward. 

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Nov 1, 2020, 8:04 AM ET

Dalvin Cook is active for Week 8 against the Packers.

Cook was always expected to play following an extended rest after the team's Week 7 bye. Fantasy players can confidently fire him up as a top-five option and hope Minnesota keeps it competitive throughout. Note that the Vikings will be without CBs Holton Hill and Mike Hughes Sunday.

Nov 1, 2020, 11:36 AM ET

Great week for me for him to Come back. Really could've used the 50 plus he gave me last week but Beggars can't be choosers  

Users who are viewing this thread