What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dalvin Cook, Free Agent (9 Viewers)

That's highway robbery. Too early to give up on what was, most likely, a 1st round pick. That offense is too good. They just need to let him heal.
negative dak went 4th round dalvin 3rd.  this league values QB in the scoring system starts 2 so caught the other manage in a bind after they lost jimmy g.  you can easily find a RB off waivers but not a starting QB.  i do agree with the offensive talent i have the RB depth so am hoping zimmer helps him heal.

I would subscribe to that but forget to listen.
Not to derail the thread, but I had the good fortune of working alongside a “very prominent”orthopedic surgeon who is well known by all in the sports world for 12 years (and continue to work with his Ortho group), and have thought about creating a fantasy sports injury website, or at least offering my services to any website that was interested.  I don’t have the tech skills to create a site on my own (and at a professional level of quality), nor much free time in the past with kids sports schedules.

Last edited by a moderator:
The good news for Cook owners is that the team's running game has not done well without him. When he is healthy, he steps back into the featured role.

It wasn't exactly doing well with him this year...
Well, he provided 95 yards production week 1 in a win vs SF

He provided 90 yards of production week 2 vs Packers in a game that ended in a tie.

Week 3 he was out and they were crushed by Buffalo and had only 14 yards rushing.

Week 4 vs Rams he wasn't himself and they lost.  

Week 5 he was out and they won but Murray was not effective.

Murray has not been effective all year and there is a huge drop off from Cook to anyone else on the roster.

I stand by my statement.

Well, he provided 95 yards production week 1 in a win vs SF

He provided 90 yards of production week 2 vs Packers in a game that ended in a tie.

Week 3 he was out and they were crushed by Buffalo and had only 14 yards rushing.

Week 4 vs Rams he wasn't himself and they lost.  

Week 5 he was out and they won but Murray was not effective.

Murray has not been effective all year and there is a huge drop off from Cook to anyone else on the roster.

I stand by my statement.
You specifically spoke of their running game.

Cook is averaging 2.7ypc and hasn't broken 40 yards rushing in any of his three games.

So yeah, I stand by my statement as well that it's not exactly like the running game has been flourishing with Cook this year either.

I like the kid, and I'm trying to buy low.  I do however think it's probably a bit soon to just assume that because Murray hasn't looked like Adrian Peterson in his prime that Cook is going to just jump right back into a workhorse role, given that he's been unable to stay healthy in that role thusfar and wasn't exactly lighting it up himself.

You specifically spoke of their running game.

Cook is averaging 2.7ypc and hasn't broken 40 yards rushing in any of his three games.

So yeah, I stand by my statement as well that it's not exactly like the running game has been flourishing with Cook this year either.

I like the kid, and I'm trying to buy low.  I do however think it's probably a bit soon to just assume that because Murray hasn't looked like Adrian Peterson in his prime that Cook is going to just jump right back into a workhorse role, given that he's been unable to stay healthy in that role thusfar and wasn't exactly lighting it up himself.
I meant that the team needs him and really seems different when he is playing running back.  The offensive line is blocking the run for crap but he gives them the big play chance and another passing option who can hurt the defense.  Murray seemed a lot better last year and he seems to have lost something.  

posted on CBS:

Vikings' Dalvin Cook: Takes handoffs at practice

by RotoWire Staff
(43 mins ago) Cook (hamstring) took handoffs from Kirk Cousins during the open part of practice Wednesday, Andrew Krammer of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports.

Cook mostly was contained to rehab work last week, logging just one limited practice session Friday. Subsequently termed a game-time decision, he was on the Vikings' inactive list Sunday at Philadelphia. With a likely appearance at Wednesday's practice, Cook appears to be trending in the right direction, but the health of his hamstring will dictate w
various news outlets not sounding optimistic for a week 6 return, so take this with a pound of salt. but this is the closest to practicing he's been in recent weeks.

Id jump on that offer Cook isnt going to be productive this yr. Vikings line looks woefully bad. I say this as a Cook owner activelly trying to trade in dynasty and getting no  bites. he's really just a 4 week flash in the pan from last season. lets not read too much into it.He's not good.hes fragile aparently. no thx

Id jump on that offer Cook isnt going to be productive this yr. Vikings line looks woefully bad. I say this as a Cook owner activelly trying to trade in dynasty and getting no  bites. he's really just a 4 week flash in the pan from last season. lets not read too much into it.He's not good.hes fragile aparently. no thx
dalvin was great at florida state and has good hands which make him valuable in PPR.  cousins historically has liked throwing to his RB's too.  disagree on doubting his talent but i'm concerned about the hamstring.  sign of practice is good but they may decide to rest him an extra week playing AZ (at least i would) but then again this staff has a tendency to rush him back too soon.

dalvin was great at florida state and has good hands which make him valuable in PPR.  cousins historically has liked throwing to his RB's too.  disagree on doubting his talent but i'm concerned about the hamstring.  sign of practice is good but they may decide to rest him an extra week playing AZ (at least i would) but then again this staff has a tendency to rush him back too soon.
agree, and hopefully they learned their lesson about rushing him back. i'm semi quoting here because I don't remember exactly which site I read this on, but at least one speculation by a writer was that he'd suit up this week and serve as an emergency backup with Lat starting.

i get that people are bailing on him and he may prove to be a flash in the pan, but i'm with the diminishing group that is hoping to confirm this before jumping ship. that and i don't have much of a choice in a deep league.

Dalvin Cook Week 6 Outlook - Cardinals at Vikings

The Vikings need their run-game to get going and this could be their opportunity to do just that, as the Cardinals have allowed eight rushing touchdowns compared to just five passing touchdowns. They're the only team in the NFL who's allowed fewer passing touchdowns than rushing touchdowns. The Vikings offensive line should be able to get some push against a Cardinals defensive front that's had little success under new head coach Steve Wilks, though it doesn't help that there's been five running backs who've totaled at least 18 carries against them. When you see that much volume, you're likely to break at some points. They've faced 34.8 rushing attempts per game, which is by far the most in the NFL through five weeks, as the closest team is the Dolphins, who've allowed 29.2 carries per game. It's why the Cardinals have allowed at least 27.8 PPR points to running backs in every game. This could be the game where Cook gets back on track, though we'll want to make sure he's practicing in full throughout the week before committing to him as a high-end RB2.

Dalvin Cook Week 6 Outlook - Cardinals at Vikings

The Vikings need their run-game to get going and this could be their opportunity to do just that, as the Cardinals have allowed eight rushing touchdowns compared to just five passing touchdowns. They're the only team in the NFL who's allowed fewer passing touchdowns than rushing touchdowns. The Vikings offensive line should be able to get some push against a Cardinals defensive front that's had little success under new head coach Steve Wilks, though it doesn't help that there's been five running backs who've totaled at least 18 carries against them. When you see that much volume, you're likely to break at some points. They've faced 34.8 rushing attempts per game, which is by far the most in the NFL through five weeks, as the closest team is the Dolphins, who've allowed 29.2 carries per game. It's why the Cardinals have allowed at least 27.8 PPR points to running backs in every game. This could be the game where Cook gets back on track, though we'll want to make sure he's practicing in full throughout the week before committing to him as a high-end RB2.
I have trash at RB on the team i have him on, and I had no intentions of starting him. He needs to rest, or he'll never get back on track. 

quote from viking OC from today's presser

Q: What effect would having Dalvin Cook back have on an offense that already has been moving the ball well?

A: Another piece that is an explosive guy. Obviously, Dalvin is a very, very gifted guy. We’ve all seen that. Earlier this season, you saw that against the 49ers. First play of the game we basically throw him the ball, but it’s basically tossed. We basically just tossed the ball out there and nine yards. That one he had where he made eight guys miss or whatever, that was incredible. I think it just adds another dynamic piece and a guy you can move around a lot and do some things with, unique things with and get creative. We are excited that he is back.
open to interpretation what back means.... probably just means back at practice... but we'll see

https://www.vikings.com/news/transcript-coordinators-addressed-the-media-on-thursday-x8006

Some guys, actually the vast majority never because what they once were after shredding a knee. I don't think Dalvin was a guy that could afford to lose 10% of his athleticism and still be a good running back regardless of situation. Selling in all formats and moving on

I'm very skeptical that Cook is 100% healthy even with his "full" designation, but that's what the practice report says. 

Dalvin Cook (hamstring) is questionable for Week 6 against the Cardinals.

Cook indicated he only wanted to play if he was back at full health. "Me going out there 80 percent, 70 percent, I’m not going to be able to help my team like that," he said. "We got a bunch of guys that are 100 percent that can help the team win football games. At this point, it’s just me getting 100 percent so I can go out there and be who I am and that’s be explosive." He was notably a full participant in practice on Thursday. It sounds like Cook will only be active if he's in full form, returning him to prominent low-end RB1 status if he plays.
THAT'S what I want to hear from him. He's learned that he keeps going out and re-injuring himself, hopefully he sits this week and comes back next week 100%. If he had a buy-low period, it's just about gone now.

back down to a LP today, combined with that quote it sounds like he'd prefer to sit this week.... we'll see what the team thinks

FWIW Latavius Murray thinks Cook is going to play.

I am actually glad to hear Cook say he doesn't want to play until he is fully recovered. The Vikings likely played him against the Rams because Cook said he was healthy enough to play, but according to reports he aggravated his injury in that game.

While I do hold the coaches and medical staff responsible for playing Cook too soon, just as they should not have started Sam Bradford against Chicago last year. A lot of the time they are just listening to the players and playing them if the player says they feel ready.

in a dynasty league I just traded him for Goff. Cook hasn't been good in the (very) limited duty this season,and was hardly all-world last season when he DID play. even when healthy and under the best of circumstances, the coaching staff gets an F on play calling when it comes to running the football. they were bad last season , worse this season. 

look elsewhere for a starting RB this week. grab a waiver wire RB. Powell, Davis, etc..

these are the tough spots that can make FF unpleasant.  Cook has a great matchup on paper this week but I'm not sure he is going to play or play a full workload. 

Think im going to sit him and roll with Cohen.  

in a dynasty league I just traded him for Goff. Cook hasn't been good in the (very) limited duty this season,and was hardly all-world last season when he DID play. even when healthy and under the best of circumstances, the coaching staff gets an F on play calling when it comes to running the football. they were bad last season , worse this season. 

look elsewhere for a starting RB this week. grab a waiver wire RB. Powell, Davis, etc..
Wasn't he leading he league in rushing last year before he got hurt?

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Dalvin Cook (hamstring) is expected to play Week 6 against the Cardinals, but he will be on a snap count.

Schefter reports Cook will play "only about half the offensive snaps, if that." It could be a similar situation to Week 4, when Cook saw 10 carries on 18 snaps in the first half and then did not see the field again. Cook has a great matchup against the Cardinals, but playing-time uncertainty makes him no more than a risky FLEX option.
So effing STUPID.

Cook indicated he only wanted to play if he was back at full health. "Me going out there 80 percent, 70 percent, I’m not going to be able to help my team like that," he said. "We got a bunch of guys that are 100 percent that can help the team win football games. At this point, it’s just me getting 100 percent so I can go out there and be who I am and that’s be explosive." He was notably a full participant in practice on Thursday. It sounds like Cook will only be active if he's in full form, returning him to prominent low-end RB1 status if he plays.
What the hell happened with this?

The only thing you Cook owners can do is sit him tomorrow and pray he comes out of it with no setbacks. Maybe he feels like he's 95% of something and wants to get work in or he's just very trusting of coaches. This aboutface in two days makes no sense.

I was about to try and make a quick offer for him, but I can't now... I can't risk trading a guy like AJ Green for him and have Cook get hurt again.

Well he could get injured at any time like any other player.

Of course the concern is that he may still be injured right now and playing hurt can lead to cascade injuries. It is entirely possible that what has been reported is correct, that he re-injured himself playing against the Rams.

Maybe he wouldn't have if he sat out that week, but really we have no way to know.

It bothers me that the hp heads are calling the game plan as far as snap count for Cook, loose lips sink ships. They were correct about this in the game vs the Rams, so it's possible correct again.

I tend to agree with Cooks statement about not playing unless fully healthy. Possible this is just jedi mind tricks.

Another possibility is that he felt good enough in practice Thursday that they just had him take a rest day Friday to get ready for the game.

I want to know why coaches would give out their game plan regarding a player?  Why tip your hand to your opponent?

I know there are rules about listing status during the week and practice participation, but the team could have said something like, "Cook will see how it feels on Sunday" or "Cooks usage on Sunday will be game-flow dependent".  Something like that still accurate, yet vague enough to not give anything away.

Users who are viewing this thread