What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (15 Viewers)

Thank God for he and Buck - as a teenager who was into all the latest gunslingers of the day - I always appreciated Roy's work to the point of turning into the cornpone of Hee Haw just to see him in action.  And Buck turned me on to the Bakersfield sound - which is one of the great musical genres created in this country.  Roy giving me the Okie sound and Buck the Bakersfield - one hell of a combo I'm grateful that I wasn't a completely stupid teenager to turn off.

I read a quote yesterday and I cant remember where I saw it to give proper credit, but it said:  "If it had strings, Roy was probably one of the best at playing it."

- Michael Scott

Aw, i missed this one first time thru. Cleanest writer i know of. And his memoirs of Hollywood - Adventures in the Screen Trade and Who Am I This Time are right there with John Huston's and Peter O'Toole's autobiographies for showbiz books.

PBS's Great Performances had a tribute last night to allt-time Broadway MVP Harold Prince (who's still going @ 90yo). For 60 yrs Prince (besides mentoring my cousin on Kiss of the Spider Woman - his first choreography job - and hundreds of others) has solved most of the logic problems that have made telling a story with a musical not only possible but very close to the highest art form we have. Quite remarkable how he'd take the turbulence of brilliance & ego coming from songsters, stagesters, storytellers & performers and frame it into "this is how we're gonna do it" time after time after time, to the extent that he's probably more overall important to the form than Rodgers, Fosse, Sondheim. Check it if you can. William Goldman was to film what Hal Prince was to the musical - fixed more visual & storytelling problems (as many off the books as on) than anyone in the history of Hollywood. RIP -

Filmmaker Nicolas Roeg died at age 90.  He directorial credits include: The Man Who Fell to Earth, Walkabout, Don't Look Now and Performance.  He began as a cameraman so his movies always had a unique visual edge but he's probably best known for the way that he challenged audiences by playing with space and time.  If this thread was one of Roeg's films, he would have died on page 7 and again on page 24.

Filmmaker Nicolas Roeg died at age 90.  He directorial credits include: The Man Who Fell to Earth, Walkabout, Don't Look Now and Performance.  He began as a cameraman so his movies always had a unique visual edge but he's probably best known for the way that he challenged audiences by playing with space and time.  If this thread was one of Roeg's films, he would have died on page 7 and again on page 24.
I remember how he used to have his wife theresa russell in most of his movies. I had a huge crush on her and he filmed her perfectly.

that's a great run, and a great career. loved all four of those movies- especially performance. I saw man who fell recently... it's ####### bizarre and fantastic stylistically.

just googled him to see what else he did... whoa- talk about dropping off. after that amazing start, pretty much bupkis in terms of critical or commercial success. I haven't seen or even heard of any of those other movies.

I remember how he used to have his wife theresa russell in most of his movies. I had a huge crush on her and he filmed her perfectly.
funny... I associate her- wrongly it appears- with ken russell... I guess it's the shared last name and her role in whore.

wikkidpissah said:
Aw, i missed this one first time thru. Cleanest writer i know of. And his memoirs of Hollywood - Adventures in the Screen Trade and Who Am I This Time are right there with John Huston's and Peter O'Toole's autobiographies for showbiz books.
Have you read David Niven's The Moon's a Balloon?  That was a hoot.  The stories about him and his roommate Errol Flynn are FBG-worthy.

that's a great run, and a great career. loved all four of those movies- especially performance. I saw man who fell recently... it's ####### bizarre and fantastic stylistically.

just googled him to see what else he did... whoa- talk about dropping off. after that amazing start, pretty much bupkis in terms of critical or commercial success. I haven't seen or even heard of any of those other movies.

funny... I associate her- wrongly it appears- with ken russell... I guess it's the shared last name and her role in whore.
One of nicks more controversial movies on review.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=nick+roeg+theresa+russell&&view=detail&mid=7ADA14B94135B57248177ADA14B94135B5724817&&FORM=VRDGAR

Roeg ended up being oddly important to Santa Fe becoming a hip place to live. He filmed his American Walkabout (which i loved, tho mostly because Jenny Agutter is the cutest girl who ever lived), Man Who Fell To Earth, very near the commune i moved to the year after it was shot. Because it was Bowie's first serious film role, half of Hollywood dropped in on the shoot and the parties (i think that was the Thin White Duke's druggiest period) to check out the fuss and they all went back to town waxing poetic about this li'l slice of Heaven where the desert met the mountains. Soon enough, Spielberg (who's SIL i dated), Sam Shepard & Jessica Lange, Merv Griffin and an Italian prince were building houses just down the fire road from the miner's shacks we'd homesteaded. Most of the real estate was owned by one family, whose sons were friends of ours and ended up occasionally trading knolltop parcels of land str8up for briefcases of Peruvian flake (two of the 3 bros died of ODs). That was the beginning of the LA-Santa Fe pipeline that has NM merchants cursing Val Kilmer & Julia Roberts to this day. RIP -

Last edited by a moderator:
Btw my parents took a very young floppo to see man who fell in the theaters when it came out. They are sooooo much cooler than I am with wreck it Ralph deuh.

Users who are viewing this thread