What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (8 Viewers)

The tension between Hart and Mould was one of the things that made Husker Du unique.  They were a three-piece band with two strong-willed songwriters, each singing only his only material and competing for space on their records and setlists.  It's amazing in retrospect that they were able to keep it together for seven albums without running the van off a bridge.

The tension between Hart and Mould was one of the things that made Husker Du unique.  They were a three-piece band with two strong-willed songwriters, each singing only his only material and competing for space on their records and setlists.  It's amazing in retrospect that they were able to keep it together for seven albums without running the van off a bridge.
Well, when you release three albums in a year, I guess it's easier.  I do love that Grant songs and Bob songs are so different from those albums.  My collection is full of later Sugar and Bob records, but Sorry Somehow and Don't Wanna Know are probably my two favorite Du songs. 

My first getaway date with my Mary more than 30 yrs ago now involved going down to the Fillmore to see Camper van Beethoven, Faith No More & her gods, Husker Du. She laughed when i treated the mosh like a hockey game and checked several tweekgeeks into the tables and loved that i let her accept a backstage call (they should have - she was 6'4" in her spikes and had spent three hours putting herself together in the hotel room and cried with joy, ruining her 14 lbs of mascara, when i told her she looked like "the maitresse d' at the Gates of Hell" when she came out of the bathroom. She came back to the Kabuki within a couple of *nervous* hours and thanked me by showing me a wild night on the town (she'd been a Union Sq callgirl as a kid) and told me years later she already knew Mould was gay so we'd be safe and loved that i could be angry and tolerant. If you're anywhere near downtown Hell, Grant, stop by see my gal. RIP -
fillmore and kabuki, sf? 

shyaa

ETA: *i had a Chronicle pinksection coupon for the Kabuki - i knew ScaryMary would break up w me if she saw it, but i secretagented it*
don't know why I had forgotten or didn't know about your SF days.

Kabuki was my joint. felt like I was there every month or so in the early/mid 80s. used to take the bus there and home prior to getting my driver's license. didn't see that show though.. amazing lineup.

I knew about reno... I guess Husker Du didn't make it up there- prompting the trip to the city?
Dotty West & Red Skelton were playing Reno then. Hell, REO Speedwagon woulda been too rough for em.

ScaryMary whored her way thru nursing school in SF, loved the town. We hopped the hump a couple times a month before she got sick - i played cards in Emeryville & San Bruno to pay the freight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mould always said there would be no reunion but I always hoped for one. Grant had my favorite Husker songs 

It's amazing he lived this long

don't know why I had forgotten or didn't know about your SF days.

Kabuki was my joint. felt like I was there every month or so in the early/mid 80s. used to take the bus there and home prior to getting my driver's license. didn't see that show though.. amazing lineup.
The future Mrs. Eephus and I used to usher for shows at the Kabuki.  We'd get in for free and stand around during the opening acts.  We'd get paid off with a drink coupon during the intermisision before the headliner went on and could usually manage to push our way toward the front.

I hardly recognized the place after they converted it to movie theaters.

Last edited by a moderator:
The future Mrs. Eephus and I used to usher for shows at the Kabuki.  We'd get in for free and stand around during the opening acts.  We'd get paid off with a drink coupon during the intermisision before the headliner went on and could usually manage to push our way toward the front.

I hardly recognized the place after they converted it to movie theaters.
speaking of ____ passed away. I remember when that happened- felt like I lost a family member... distant, but still.

trying to remember the rest of the usual spots... on broadway? i-beam... warfield for bigger shows... there was a spot on Columbus south of tower records, fab mab (mabuhay gardens or something)?

Wolfgang's was the place on Columbus.  It's a comedy club now.   Bimbo's 365 still books shows on Columbus but I don't remember it being an active venue in the 80s. The Old Waldorf on Battery St. has also been a comedy club for years.  The logistics for stand-up comedians are much easier than for bands.  I imagine loading in and out at club like the Old Waldorf must have been a nightmare.

Broadway was the nexus of SF nightlife during the punk/new wave years.  There was the Stone and Chi-Chi's on one side of the street, with the Mabuhay and On Broadway on the other.  There was a pinball/videogame arcade two doors down from the Mab.  After bar time, Earl's was a cool place to dance until 4 and buy drugs if you had any money left.  They're all gone now.  That end of Broadway is dead on a Friday night.

Grant Hart bums me out.   I think a big part of it is my realization today that I'm reaching that age where now our rock stars aren't dying because of ODs or Car crashes or choking on their own puke.  

they're dying from Cancer and random old-people related health ailments.     
Bowie did that for me. 

Grant Hart bums me out.   I think a big part of it is my realization today that I'm reaching that age where now our rock stars aren't dying because of ODs or Car crashes or choking on their own puke.  

Bowie did that for me. 
Bowie had me by a good 20 years. He's basically my parents' age.

MCA hurt, so does Grant

Now everything is over
Now everything is done
Everything's in boxes
At twenty-five forty-one

Well things are so much different now
I'd say the situation's reversed
And it'll probably not be the last time
I'll have to be out by the first

Bowie did that for me. 
It's funny because I still find myself saddened by this. I was talking with my lady the other day at the dinner table and somehow took the conversation to Bowie. I got myself all choked up talking about him. This song from The Next Day, his second to last album, "Where Are We Now" seemed to show - for me at least - the weariness in him for the first time. His voice signaled that to me and I wondered about how much time he had left. 

I'm going to be crushed when McCartney goes. Not so much because of all the great music but because of his singularly original life and experience. 

This one does hurt. Dude had a rough life. My favorite Husker Du dude. Going to listen to Intolerance today.

Paul McClean, journalist for the Financial Times.  Grabbed by a crocodile on a surfing vacation in sri lanka.
I know this is inappropriate given the loss of life and that you clarified it in jimtan, but I'm holding on to the headline version (picture bubbled in my head), where a croc grabs him mid front-side snap shred.

I know this is inappropriate given the loss of life and that you clarified it in jimtan, but I'm holding on to the headline version (picture bubbled in my head), where a croc grabs him mid front-side snap shred.
"Now with extra snap and extra shred"

Author and raconteur J.P. Donleavy died this week at 91.  I always assumed he was Irish but he was born in Brooklyn and moved to Dublin after WWII.  His first novel in 1955 "The Ginger Man" is a minor classic and a fun read.  He managed to catch lightning in a bottle early in his career and spent the rest of his life drinking from it.  

AWA legend.  The WWF never really used him to his potential.
Yes, my favorite of all the managers.

Some of his quotes:

A friend in need is a pest.

I'm a legend in this sport. If you don't believe me, ask me.

North Dakota State. What do you have to do there to graduate? Milk a cow with your left hand?

Hawaii's the 50th state? I thought it was a suburb of Guam.

Have you ever been to Glens Falls? The city limits signs are on the same post.

Yes, my favorite of all the managers.

Some of his quotes:

A friend in need is a pest.

I'm a legend in this sport. If you don't believe me, ask me.

North Dakota State. What do you have to do there to graduate? Milk a cow with your left hand?

Hawaii's the 50th state? I thought it was a suburb of Guam.

Have you ever been to Glens Falls? The city limits signs are on the same post.
Brain did have some great lines.  

Users who are viewing this thread