Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

______ Passed Away Today, RIP

wOw - my comedy icons are dropping like flies. Imus, Innes, Buck Henry & now the most underrated Python, Terry Jones. wOw. 

but there is one aspect of Terry Jones's career which is non-parreil - his pantomime at the 5:30 point of Owl-Stretching Time is the best in the history of television and as good as any of the silent-film greats. RIP -

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Planters' mascot Mr. Peanut is dead. However he may be reincarnated during the Super Bowl. 

Holy cow.  Are we actually going to get some FUNNY Super Bowl commercials this year?  I feel like it's been decades since we've had funny commercials.  Sad and woke have been the mantra of late.  Remember that one insurance commercial with the dead kids?  Jesus.  

• Like 4

On 1/22/2020 at 10:56 AM, Walking Boot said:

Planters' mascot Mr. Peanut is dead. However he may be reincarnated during the Super Bowl. 

From Ad Age

Planters paused its Super Bowl campaign centered around the fictitious Mr. Peanut’s death following the deaths of Kobe Bryant, his daughter, and seven others in a helicopter crash.

As of Monday, it remained unclear how the brand would proceed with its marketing strategy leading up to and during the Super Bowl.

“We are saddened by this weekend’s news and Planters has paused all campaign activities, including paid media, and will evaluate next steps through a lens of sensitivity to those impacted by this tragedy,” the brand said in a statement Monday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:
5 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

RIP Bob Shane

The last founding member of the Kingston Trio.

He'll never return

No, he'll never return

And his fate will be unlearned

(poor ol' Bobby)

I sang that song at least a thousand times in elementary school, along with "Tom Dooley" and dozens of other songs which were probably staples of the Kingston Trio's set.

2 hours ago, NREC34 said:

Chris Doleman just tweeted about surviving brain cancer 4 days ago. I don’t understand what happened in that soon of a time. 

Seizures are a common occurrence for brain cancer patients and can cause sudden death.  I have no idea if this is what happened to Doleman.  RIP

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eephus said:
2 hours ago, NREC34 said:

Chris Doleman just tweeted about surviving brain cancer 4 days ago. I don’t understand what happened in that soon of a time. 

Seizures are a common occurrence for brain cancer patients and can cause sudden death.  I have no idea if this is what happened to Doleman.  RIP

My dad had pancreatic cancer and went in minutes from an embolism, not the cancer itself (which he had only just been diagnosed with)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I do not believe in "God."  Or "Heaven."  But I have to believe somehow, some way, we get to experience or be a part of the love of the creatures we saved and who saved us once we shuffle off this mortal coil.  I simply can't bear to have lost such a thing forever.

I suppose I hope that I am larger than my contradictions.

Rip Andy Gill, guitarist and cofounder of gang of four. A billion post-punk guitarists owe you their jangly, feedback sound.

Also rip Taliesin school of architecture...frank Lloyd Wright's. Unclear to me what happened with it...some issue between board, dean and accreditation I think. Sad. Strange place and bizarre attempting to ape what the master did...but you could do far worse than that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

28 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Also rip Taliesin school of architecture...frank Lloyd Wright's. Unclear to me what happened with it...some issue between board, dean and accreditation I think. Sad. Strange place and bizarre attempting to ape what the master did...but you could do far worse than that.

Aw, that's sad.  I visited the one in Wisconsin last year, and the whole concept seemed so cool.  Seemed like a commune, in a good way.

4 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Aw, that's sad.  I visited the one in Wisconsin last year, and the whole concept seemed so cool.  Seemed like a commune, in a good way.

I assume both Taliesins FLW culty drink the koolaid facilities are staying open- just the school in AZ on the Taliesin grounds is closing. At least, that's how I'm understanding it.

15 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I assume both Taliesins FLW culty drink the koolaid facilities are staying open- just the school in AZ on the Taliesin grounds is closing. At least, that's how I'm understanding it.

No, I'm talking about the school in Wisconsin.  There were schools at both locations.

1 minute ago, krista4 said:

No, I'm talking about the school in Wisconsin.  There were schools at both locations.

Oh...I didn't know that- thanks.

I wonder if they're linked or if they're separate entities?

Googling now. Still not clear what went down in AZ

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Oh...I didn't know that- thanks.

I wonder if they're linked or if they're separate entities?

Googling now. Still not clear what went down in AZ

They're linked (or were); students traveled fairly frequently between the two.  They're both closing.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Comedian Jack Burns died at age 86.  He had a long career but had his greatest success as half of a comedy team with Avery Schreiber.  He also replaced Don Knotts on the Andy Griffith Show and "fought" with Andy Kaufman on live network television.

Jack Burns was a funny guy.  Used to watch Burns & Schreiber all the time.

30 minutes ago, krista4 said:

They're linked (or were); students traveled fairly frequently between the two.  They're both closing.

Wow. I just saw this. I was lucky enough to walk through their studio at Taliesin last Labor Day weekend. A sad day indeed. 

• Like 1