What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (2 Viewers)

Tragedy. Water is dangerous. Hey I almost died snorkeling by myself in St. John.  Went around a reef and got pulled out to sea. Took everything in my power to swim back. Collapsed when I made it. Can see how people drown. 
this happened to my wife while were in Curacao.  she wanted to take pictures of fish.. went out for a swim, hugging the shore which after a few hundred yards was just cliffs.  she was snorkeling, not coming up above water.. just toodling along enjoying the scenery.  she went around a bend where i could no longer see her, but i assumed she was fine.

30 minutes later i started to get a little nervy. 45 minutes later i started trying to figure out a way to get out there far enough so i could see her. i'm not a strong swimmer and didn't have a life jacket.  an hour after she left, i saw her starting to come back. 30 minutes after that she made it to the beach.

she was totally gassed. said she had no idea how far she'd gone but realized she was in trouble when she couldn't recognize anything around her so she just started swimming hoping she could make it to somewhere that wasn't cliffs.

spent a good while contemplating how i was going to tell my kids that mom and dad went on vacation, but only dad was coming home. 

scary stuff

The embodiment, if not the soul, of television. Not a classic broadcaster - a rather good boy singer when Italians were dominating the market, then throat problems closed that door - he grasped the magic power of the medium. Relationships. The box works best when it makes you care about Sam & Diane, worry if Walter White is in over his head this time, wonder what a Wednesday nite hang at the BaDaBing would be like. So he hung out on the Joey Bishop Show as whipping boy, stood in for any fool w a show who asked him to, became Letterman's comedy gofer and finally found a format to have a cup of coffee with America and ended up becoming its best friend.

To be honest, i started watching Regis & Kathy Lee at the end of all-nighters because i wanted to do naughty things to the latter. But after promising sobriety to a lady friend, i found myself still wanting to want to hear about their day and started tuning in on the other side of wakefulness. Twas Regis's voice who woke me up on 9/11 and, while i kinda lost interest when Kelly Ripa came aboard, i'd still check in now & then and chuckle & nod along every time. Haven't watched one second of happytalk TV since she forced him out. RIP, ol' pal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regis Philbin, Legendary Television Host, Dies at 88
Got a call from my nephew about 15 years back saying he was going to New York City for the first time and asked me what he should see.

I told him I would score tickets to David Letterman if I was in NY.  He called them up and had to answer a trivia question and won tickets.  

When he got back I asked who the guest was and he answered in a crestfallen manner it was only Regis Philbin.  

I told him that Regis Philbin was on TV more hours than any person in the history of the world and one day he would release what a big deal it was to see Regis Philbin on the David Letterman show.  

As I recall Kathie Lee used to have a driver pick her up at some obscene early hour from her home in Connecticut. We are talking a morning drive into downtown Manhattan Monday through Friday.  Meanwhile, Regis would walk across the street from his apartment to the studio.

Got a call from my nephew about 15 years back saying he was going to New York City for the first time and asked me what he should see.

I told him I would score tickets to David Letterman if I was in NY.  He called them up and had to answer a trivia question and won tickets.  

When he got back I asked who the guest was and he answered in a crestfallen manner it was only Regis Philbin.  

I told him that Regis Philbin was on TV more hours than any person in the history of the world and one day he would release what a big deal it was to see Regis Philbin on the David Letterman show.  
No offense to Regis but I would still be disappointed if that was who the guest was if I only got to see one Letterman show.

Olivia de Havilland, star of such movies as Gone with the Wind, The Adventures of Robin Hood and winner of 2 Oscars has passed at 104.
Wow , weird timing. A friend of mine and I were just discussing her amazing longevity the other day. 

Better hope I don't discuss any of you... 

Olivia de Havilland, star of such movies as Gone with the Wind, The Adventures of Robin Hood and winner of 2 Oscars has passed at 104.
I began watching old movies in 2010 and noticed a few older stars for the first time.  Olivia De Havilland and Joan Fontaine.  Joan and Olivia were Oscar winners.  I had no idea they were sisters both lived long lives, Joan 96 and Olivia 104.  They had a rivalry that lasted till Joan's death so basically a lifetime.  ===>>  The Lifelong Feud Between the Sisters Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine The rivalry between the actresses encompassed their childhood, careers, love lives, and even the Academy Awards.

It blew me away when I found out they were related.  

May have missed it posted here, but legendary NHL wild man Eddie “The Entertainer” Shack passed away a few days ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kenyan runner Ben Jipcho died at age 77.  Jipcho won Olympic silver in the steeplechase in 1972 but was probably best known as the rabbit who paced teammate Kip Keino's upset 1500m win at the Mexico City games.

British director Alan Parker (Midnight Express, Pink Floyd – The Wall, Mississippi Burning) passed away today at age 76.

Users who are viewing this thread