Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

______ Passed Away Today, RIP


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My grandmother passed yesterday.  No celebrity but she did lead an amazing life and knew Ike and Tina Turner and met Mick and Keith at the infamous Hell's Angels concert. She was 106 years old th

I worked the door of a place in NYC in the early-mid 90's. Me and the 4-5 other guys working would have to stand out there for 8 hours so to pass the time we did this thing where if someone walking by

My 14 year old black lab, Duke.  RIP

1 hour ago, zamboni said:
2 hours ago, FairWarning said:

Larry Flynt, 78

Going to scramble my TV reception in his honor.

And watch People vs Larry Flint.

Rip.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On Flynt, something that I discovered while interning for a Congressman many years back is that every office is sent a free copy of Hustler every month. I do remember one staff person who took a particular liking to reading it, and I’m still a bit scarred by it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rail said:

Chick Corea

 

*Sigh*

The first musician i ever knew was a keyboard player named Mike Mandel. As i've told here before, me Da used my early interest in jazz as cover for an affair he was having with a stripper. He would take "us" to Lenny's on the Turnpike, a legit jazz club that Diz, Miles, Duke all played at, leave me there and go to the hoochiecoochie club on the other side of the highway to meet his gal. LSS, 13yo me was kinda adopted by the regs on these occasions, one of whom was this Mike, who was pretty much blind and everyone would make jokes about him "watching" me.

I think Mike liked talking jazz better than he liked playing it (although he was no slouch - he was an original member of one of the Big Three fusion groups, Eleventh House, that flowered in the early 70s) and spent a lot of time trying to convince me to go back to playing the piano that i hated when i was little (i have no talent). He wanted to show me how local boys could make it so he "made" me have my dad bring me to see the flautist Herbie Mann cuz his piano player was a local boy from like 5 miles from the club, like me. I obeyed. The piano player Mike was talking about was Chick Corea. It was very cool to see a regular schlub from MetroBoston on the stage with a guy who was both jazz legit and had Top 40 songs and, while i had no talent for it to inspire, it sure went a long ways toward understanding the value of ambition. thx, Mike. thx, Mr. Corea. RIP -

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

maaaan, that's beautiful but, boy, does it make me feel old.

Corea, as i've just told, was a fiery icon to me and, since most of the musicians i got to know went to Berklee School of Music and Burton's composition class there had most of em fearing him like Godzilla, now to see them as li'l ol' men....*shudder*.

that makes my clip file fo sho, tho. thx - 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

maaaan, that's beautiful but, boy, does it make me feel old.

Corea, as i've just told, was a fiery icon to me and, since most of the musicians i got to know went to Berklee School of Music and Burton's composition class there had most of em fearing him like Godzilla, now to see them as li'l ol' men....*shudder*.

that makes my clip file fo sho, tho. thx - 

Yeah, I was struck by his appearance when I stumbled on that tiny desk show a couple years ago.  Not at all how I picture Chick Corea in my mind, but he's still got it on the ivories.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

The first musician i ever knew was a keyboard player named Mike Mandel. As i've told here before, me Da used my early interest in jazz as cover for an affair he was having with a stripper. He would take "us" to Lenny's on the Turnpike, a legit jazz club that Diz, Miles, Duke all played at, leave me there and go to the hoochiecoochie club on the other side of the highway to meet his gal. LSS, 13yo me was kinda adopted by the regs on these occasions, one of whom was this Mike, who was pretty much blind and everyone would make jokes about him "watching" me.

I think Mike liked talking jazz better than he liked playing it (although he was no slouch - he was an original member of one of the Big Three fusion groups, Eleventh House, that flowered in the early 70s) and spent a lot of time trying to convince me to go back to playing the piano that i hated when i was little (i have no talent). He wanted to show me how local boys could make it so he "made" me have my dad bring me to see the flautist Herbie Mann cuz his piano player was a local boy from like 5 miles from the club, like me. I obeyed. The piano player Mike was talking about was Chick Corea. It was very cool to see a regular schlub from MetroBoston on the stage with a guy who was both jazz legit and had Top 40 songs and, while i had no talent for it to inspire, it sure went a long ways toward understanding the value of ambition. thx, Mike. thx, Mr. Corea. RIP -

wikkid...you always have the best damn stories in this forum.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah man. RIP Chick Corea!

Well damn.

So, it's 1990, I'm nearing the end of college, I'm working as an intern, I've got a few bucks in my pocket and it's either going to get spent on pizza, beer and a rented movie or music.  Anyway, I'm at one of my favorite places in the world, it's the used record store near campus in Cincinnati.  

As I'm thumbing through the used CD's, I spot this one CD and it's got a really interesting picture on the front and it kind of puts me in mind of MC Escher plus I've been wanting to listen to something different so I bought this disc called Beneath The Mask from the Chick Corea Elektric Band.

I was familiar with the name and the genre, I just didn't think it would be something I would ever be into since I was in anything and everything heavy back then but I took a chance and it turned out that disc was the first of many Chick Corea discs I would buy over the years. I have to say, I must have played that first album a million times, man, it brings me right back to 1990 when I listened to it while I was typing this up.  Damn.

  • Like 7
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Teenage Eephus saw Corea with the classic Return to Forever lineup (Clarke, Di Meola, White) in 1977.  I hadn't been to many concerts before that one but RTF was definitely (and deafeningly) the loudest band I'd ever heard up to that point. 

Corea was surrounded by a stack of at least a half a dozen different keyboards and was constantly messing with dials and sliders to squeeze different sounds out of them.  I remember he froze right in the middle of an intense solo to mug for the audience.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, johnnycakes said:

Vincent Jackson, who played in the NFL for 12 seasons with the San Diego Chargers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, was found dead Monday in Florida. Jackson was 38 years old.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/15/vincent-jackson-ex-nfl-star-dead-at-38/

Found living at a hotel the last month after a missing persons report? This doesn't sound good... Rip. Great player.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thankful this thread is more respectful.  Wasn't a fan although I align conservatively, but he was groundbreaking in his industry and by many accounts a generous man in the real world. RIP and condolences to the family.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rip Lawrence Ferlinghetti @ 101.

poet, founder and owner of City Lights bookshop in SF...birthplace of the beats, on trial for publishing Ginsberg's Howl, and SF poetry legend. my mom is in the same scene and always thought incredibly highly of him as a man and poet.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Rip Lawrence Ferlinghetti @ 101.

poet, founder and owner of City Lights bookshop in SF...birthplace of the beats, on trial for publishing Ginsberg's Howl, and SF poetry legend. my mom is in the same scene and always thought incredibly highly of him as a man and poet.

Sadly, I'd never heard of him until 1 hour ago, and I've even purchased books at City Lights :sadbanana: Driving home from work tonight, NPR did a great piece on his life---truly a driveway moment. 

I'm intrigued.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Rip Lawrence Ferlinghetti @ 101.

poet, founder and owner of City Lights bookshop in SF...birthplace of the beats, on trial for publishing Ginsberg's Howl, and SF poetry legend. my mom is in the same scene and always thought incredibly highly of him as a man and poet.

the man who began my romance with words

warden of my lifetime sentence

could make notions hang like smoke

and lightning linger

may there be a dimension worthy

RIP -

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Former Saudi and OPEC oil minister Sheikh Ahmed Zaki Yamani died in London at age 91.  He was ubiquitous in the news during the 70s and 80s as the public face of the petrostates.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eephus said:

Former Saudi and OPEC oil minister Sheikh Ahmed Zaki Yamani died in London at age 91.  He was ubiquitous in the news during the 70s and 80s as the public face of the petrostates.

I can't help but read that last word as prostates. I've got issues.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sullie said:

It's been a slow death and it was very expected but it's still sad.

To the point that, when Best Buy went bellyup, the bankruptcy judge asked "Do you want Fry's with that?".

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ex-USA Olympic Gymnastic coach John Geddert.  Charged with human trafficking and criminal sexual assult this morning, committed suicide this afternoon.  

 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/former-olympics-coach-john-geddert-dies-by-suicide_n_603811bfc5b60d98bec8d180

Edited by FairWarning
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

Ex-USA Olympic Gymnastic coach John Geddert.  Charged with human trafficking and criminal sexual assult this morning, committed suicide this afternoon.  

Larry Nassar's buddy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:
26 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

Ex-USA Olympic Gymnastic coach John Geddert.  Charged with human trafficking and criminal sexual assult this morning, committed suicide this afternoon.  

Larry Nassar's buddy.

must. not. say. what. I. want. to. say ...

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FairWarning said:

Ex-USA Olympic Gymnastic coach John Geddert.  Charged with human trafficking and criminal sexual assult this morning, committed suicide this afternoon.  

 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/former-olympics-coach-john-geddert-dies-by-suicide_n_603811bfc5b60d98bec8d180

He took easy way out. But knowing what he'd be facing in prison, I think 99/100 people would do the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eephus said:

Gambino family crime boss Peter Gotti died in prison at age 81, ten years before his expected release date.

 

I guess he'll get out early then

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FairWarning said:

Ex-USA Olympic Gymnastic coach John Geddert.  Charged with human trafficking and criminal sexual assult this morning, committed suicide this afternoon.  

 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/former-olympics-coach-john-geddert-dies-by-suicide_n_603811bfc5b60d98bec8d180

John would scream at them, throw water bottles, push them to the extreme, and Larry would be there to comfort them. The human trafficking charges were there because of “forced labor” with regards to his treatment of his athletes. That was the place to go if you wanted to be the best; parents (and the athletes) wanted their kids there. Nassar used their competitiveness against them; when dealing with an injury, they could get on site treatment and continue competing or they could drop out of the competition and go to the hospital, preying on competitiveness and cost saving. It’s not like all these parents were rich. Nassar had a lot of trust built, he wasn’t a guy that anyone suspected to be a monster. John was an ####### that was the coach you sought if your kid had potential. 

This news doesn’t comfort anyone involved. All it does is rip open a new wound, and to many (now) women it has taken another man they saw as a mentor and shown them to be monster. I suppose hearing it in the news every day during a trial is just as bad, maybe this just fades away quickly. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Snorkelson said:

John would scream at them, throw water bottles, push them to the extreme, and Larry would be there to comfort them. The human trafficking charges were there because of “forced labor” with regards to his treatment of his athletes. That was the place to go if you wanted to be the best; parents (and the athletes) wanted their kids there. Nassar used their competitiveness against them; when dealing with an injury, they could get on site treatment and continue competing or they could drop out of the competition and go to the hospital, preying on competitiveness and cost saving. It’s not like all these parents were rich. Nassar had a lot of trust built, he wasn’t a guy that anyone suspected to be a monster. John was an ####### that was the coach you sought if your kid had potential. 

This news doesn’t comfort anyone involved. All it does is rip open a new wound, and to many (now) women it has taken another man they saw as a mentor and shown them to be monster. I suppose hearing it in the news every day during a trial is just as bad, maybe this just fades away quickly. 
 

Hoping the latter knowing he won't victimize any more .  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FairWarning said:

Not many DL can wear number 1, but my guy Louie Nix from ND could.  Bounced around the NFL for the last few years, found dead today.

This one bums me out. I’m a big ND and Texans fan so big Lou was primed to have a fan for a good while. He never got on the field for the Texans due to knee injuries, but I’ll never forget the personality he brought to that fun 2012 ND run. RIP Irish Chocolate 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

@Eagles: The Eagles are saddened to learn of the passing of Irv Cross.

Back in the day with Phyllis George, Brent “You’re looking live” Musburger, & Jimmy the Greek. Fun times. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...