Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

______ Passed Away Today, RIP

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My grandmother passed yesterday.  No celebrity but she did lead an amazing life and knew Ike and Tina Turner and met Mick and Keith at the infamous Hell's Angels concert. She was 106 years old th

I worked the door of a place in NYC in the early-mid 90's. Me and the 4-5 other guys working would have to stand out there for 8 hours so to pass the time we did this thing where if someone walking by

My 14 year old black lab, Duke.  RIP

9 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

Sounder will be on TCM next month as part of Black History Month.  Lovely movie.

I remember watching that in school, sometime around 1986. 

16 hours ago, James Bond said:

Cicely Tyson, Emmy and Tony award winner, probably best known for "The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman" and "Sounder" dies at 96.

the first, second..........twelfth time i was moved by witness of the dignity in transcending the curse of racism came from seeing it reflected on Cicely Tyson's face. RIP -

• Like 3
13 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

This one hurts. Losing him and John Thompson feels like part of my youth is gone. 

I was living in eastern Maryland after I graduated from college.  I lived in the country and had no access to cable TV, but there were plenty of Big East games on TV.  Syracuse, Georgetown, Temple, Villanova - seemed like any game between the two was a dogfight.  I wasn't a college BB fan, but the personalities in the league gave me a reason to watch.

• Love 1
On 1/28/2021 at 10:36 PM, Mrs. Rannous said:

Sounder will be on TCM next month as part of Black History Month.  Lovely movie.

TCM now airing Sounder tomorrow (Sunday) night along with A Man Called Adam.

3 hours ago, Tom Servo said:

I was living in eastern Maryland after I graduated from college.  I lived in the country and had no access to cable TV, but there were plenty of Big East games on TV.  Syracuse, Georgetown, Temple, Villanova - seemed like any game between the two was a dogfight.  I wasn't a college BB fan, but the personalities in the league gave me a reason to watch.

Yup. 

I grew and live here still but like you, wasn’t a huge college basketball fan but it just seemed like the games were always on. They were prominent in the papers back when we read newspapers.  Big John and the other coaches were all larger than life and those Big East rivalries were epic dogfights. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Tom Servo said:

I’m sure there were a lot of Temple games on TV, but Temple was never in the Big East for basketball. They were just in the Big East for football. They stayed in the A-10 for basketball until their move to the AAC.

I went to GW in late 90s/early 2000s, and have had GW season tickets basically every year since (welp, until this year). Lots of Chaney memories. Chaney’s Temple teams always in contention while he was there.

ETA: The Chaney versus Calipari clip needs to be in here.

Edited by Don Quixote
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

I’m sure there were a lot of Temple games on TV, but Temple was never in the Big East for basketball. They were just in the Big East for football. They stayed in the A-10 for basketball until their move to the AAC.

Oy! That was almost 35 years ago!  Gimme a break on the memory!!! :P

• Laughing 1
1 hour ago, Don Quixote said:

Didn't the Philadelphia D-1 hoops programs used to play each other regularly -- Penn, Lafayette, St. Joe's, Villanova, and Temple? Wouldn't be surprised if some had memories of seeing Temple-'Nova games on TV.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Doug B said:

Didn't the Philadelphia D-1 hoops programs used to play each other regularly -- Penn, Lafayette, St. Joe's, Villanova, and Temple? Wouldn't be surprised if some had memories of seeing Temple-'Nova games on TV.

Yes - LaSalle and not Lafayette though.  I think all of the games were at the palestra.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Doug B said:

Yes, it was called "The Big Five" and they would have doubleheaders as the Palestra. Penn, St. Joe's, Villanova, Temple and LaSalle. Not Lafayette, which is not really near Philly. 

After Villanova won their first national title, they left "The Big Five" and were replaced by Drexel. Eventually Villanova returned and it is now the "City Six". 

Edited by Pip's Invitation
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, shades said:

Man, just found out about his cancer like 3 weeks ago. That's rough.

Yeah, seriously. That's some aggressive cancer or he just ignored it. Either way, sad.

5 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

I'm more bummed about this than I should be. RIP

I am as well.  Probably because I am same age as Dustin and I watched a ton of saved by the bell when I was younger.    

He was funny.    I didn't watch anything of his after sbtb though... Didn't watch new class or celebrity boxing or anything

51 minutes ago, leftcoastguy7 said:

Legendary actor Hal Holbrook died at the age of 95.

I was just rewatching the movie Wall Street the other day. Love him in that film.

RIP Deep Throat!  (And Ham Johnson.)

Edited by gump
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, leftcoastguy7 said:

I was just rewatching the movie Wall Street the other day. Love him in that film.

Alas! The Curse of The People Next Door is visited upon us!!

I was going to comment on this last week when Cloris Leachman died, but it didnt seem appropriate to mention that Miss Leachman had television's first nude scene in a perfectly ridiculous 1970 made-for-TV movie about the dangers of LSD (which i dropped a tab to watch with my parents in about the last thing we did together before i ran away for good). But now the man who played Mr. Next Door dies the same week, also cut down in the flower of ninetyhood, likely by a dark wing of DARPA looking to hide their lysergic acid shenanigans from the 60s?! What has QAnon to say of this?!?!

ETA: sorry to disrespect, Mr Holbrook - saw Mark Twain Tonight on stage backinday, mad love for that & film work. RIP -

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, leftcoastguy7 said:

Very underappreciated actor.  Thought he was brilliant in Into the Wild and several other roles.  RIP.   

The whole Temple/Big East/A10/Philly teams playing each other/matchup zone alongside Boeheim was exactly what ran through my head reading Servo's post.

RIP John Chaney. A unique man.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Very underappreciated actor.  Thought he was brilliant in Into the Wild and several other roles.  RIP.   

Into the Wild is one of my favorites. He was nominated for supporting actor for that role IIRC. 

• Like 1

Homeboy, throw in the towel... Your girl got dicked by Ricky Powell

rip Ricky Powell, jack of all hip-hop/urban photography. Heart failure at 59

• Sad 2
10 hours ago, leftcoastguy7 said:

The first thought of him coming to mind is Dirty Harry's adversary Lt. Briggs in Magnum Force.

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Homeboy, throw in the towel... Your girl got dicked by Ricky Powell

rip Ricky Powell, jack of all hip-hop/urban photography. Heart failure at 59

I did the same RIP over in Genrepalooza last night with the same quote. RIP, indeed.

Robert A. Altman (not that Robert Altman) gave hope and joy to gamers everywhere with ZeniMax Media (Elder Scrolls, Fallout, later bought id with Doom, etc), but also that a lawyer turned gamer could marry Lynda Carter.

RIP

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Don Quixote said:

beside being a generational touchpoint for us Boomers and being commanding & human in everything he did, he was responsible for attracting a lot of Hollywood talent to his home country in aid of the fledgling Canadian film business in the 70s, as well as filling in a lot of roles if productions didnt attract the two non-Canuck stars the Film Board would subsidize. he played beautifully against type as a sadistic petty criminal when no Yank would step up to co-star with Elliot Gould in an underrated thriller called Silent Partner🎬 RIP -

• Like 2

Former NWA and WCV wrestler Butch Reed passes away at age 66.

“To everyone who reached out god bless you. Today we lost a great man. Due to heart complications Bruce ‘Butch’ Reed passed away. Butch is in heaven now with the wrestling god’s. I am sure he is already booked for a Heavyweight Championship match. Once again thank you for all the prayers. We will keep this page going in his memory. For funeral arrangements send me a dm for information if you would like to attend. God bless everyone and god bless in heaven ‘Hacksaw Butch Reed’,” they wrote on Reed’s account.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Tom Servo said:

Former NWA and WCV wrestler Butch Reed passes away at age 66.

“To everyone who reached out god bless you. Today we lost a great man. Due to heart complications Bruce ‘Butch’ Reed passed away. Butch is in heaven now with the wrestling god’s. I am sure he is already booked for a Heavyweight Championship match. Once again thank you for all the prayers. We will keep this page going in his memory. For funeral arrangements send me a dm for information if you would like to attend. God bless everyone and god bless in heaven ‘Hacksaw Butch Reed’,” they wrote on Reed’s account.

I remember his platinum hair and him teaming with Ron Simmons (later Farooq from the NOD).  RIP

• Like 1
15 hours ago, zamboni said:

Dang.

Summer of '76, i'm in VT driving from my grampeeps house to my gf's family summer house and i stop in a general store-type place along the way and all the ol' cusses in the store are using old-fashioned comic slurs for "African-American" all over the place. I listen curiously and find out all the talk is because the Olympic Boxing Team training facility is "just up the rud a fer piece". the radio station i'm working for was an ABC affiliate and they had the Olympics then and i had my press credentials and tape machine in the car, so i goes up the rud a fer piece. boom, i'm in, and i went back twice more before they closed camp and went a li'l futher up the rud to Montreal and fame & glory

Somewhere in the vaults of WHDH Boston, there are a coupla hours of me interviewing Howard Davis (by far the most impressive of the team), Big John Tate, the Spinks brothers and Sugar Ray Leonard (with his cartoon slot-machine eyes spinning between $signs, American flags and Wheaties boxes w him the first black man on it). i really hoped he would fall on his face (tho one look at him in the ring and you knew that wouldnt happen) and Davis and Mike Spinks would be the stars. And half the reason i rooted for Mike because the brother he doted over showed just what they come from to get where they were.

Tate was not an easy interview for a white boy with no technique, but the whole time i spoke to Leon i needed Barbara Billingsley to come translate. The editors back @ WCOZ (all white too) had no better luck with it than i, but he was a champ throughout. RIP -

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 9