Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

______ Passed Away Today, RIP


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My grandmother passed yesterday.  No celebrity but she did lead an amazing life and knew Ike and Tina Turner and met Mick and Keith at the infamous Hell's Angels concert. She was 106 years old th

I worked the door of a place in NYC in the early-mid 90's. Me and the 4-5 other guys working would have to stand out there for 8 hours so to pass the time we did this thing where if someone walking by

My 14 year old black lab, Duke.  RIP

2 hours ago, Sullie said:

It's been a slow death and it was very expected but it's still sad.

To the point that, when Best Buy went bellyup, the bankruptcy judge asked "Do you want Fry's with that?".

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ex-USA Olympic Gymnastic coach John Geddert.  Charged with human trafficking and criminal sexual assult this morning, committed suicide this afternoon.  

 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/former-olympics-coach-john-geddert-dies-by-suicide_n_603811bfc5b60d98bec8d180

Edited by FairWarning
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

Ex-USA Olympic Gymnastic coach John Geddert.  Charged with human trafficking and criminal sexual assult this morning, committed suicide this afternoon.  

Larry Nassar's buddy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:
26 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

Ex-USA Olympic Gymnastic coach John Geddert.  Charged with human trafficking and criminal sexual assult this morning, committed suicide this afternoon.  

Larry Nassar's buddy.

must. not. say. what. I. want. to. say ...

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FairWarning said:

Ex-USA Olympic Gymnastic coach John Geddert.  Charged with human trafficking and criminal sexual assult this morning, committed suicide this afternoon.  

 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/former-olympics-coach-john-geddert-dies-by-suicide_n_603811bfc5b60d98bec8d180

He took easy way out. But knowing what he'd be facing in prison, I think 99/100 people would do the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eephus said:

Gambino family crime boss Peter Gotti died in prison at age 81, ten years before his expected release date.

 

I guess he'll get out early then

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FairWarning said:

Ex-USA Olympic Gymnastic coach John Geddert.  Charged with human trafficking and criminal sexual assult this morning, committed suicide this afternoon.  

 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/former-olympics-coach-john-geddert-dies-by-suicide_n_603811bfc5b60d98bec8d180

John would scream at them, throw water bottles, push them to the extreme, and Larry would be there to comfort them. The human trafficking charges were there because of “forced labor” with regards to his treatment of his athletes. That was the place to go if you wanted to be the best; parents (and the athletes) wanted their kids there. Nassar used their competitiveness against them; when dealing with an injury, they could get on site treatment and continue competing or they could drop out of the competition and go to the hospital, preying on competitiveness and cost saving. It’s not like all these parents were rich. Nassar had a lot of trust built, he wasn’t a guy that anyone suspected to be a monster. John was an ####### that was the coach you sought if your kid had potential. 

This news doesn’t comfort anyone involved. All it does is rip open a new wound, and to many (now) women it has taken another man they saw as a mentor and shown them to be monster. I suppose hearing it in the news every day during a trial is just as bad, maybe this just fades away quickly. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Snorkelson said:

John would scream at them, throw water bottles, push them to the extreme, and Larry would be there to comfort them. The human trafficking charges were there because of “forced labor” with regards to his treatment of his athletes. That was the place to go if you wanted to be the best; parents (and the athletes) wanted their kids there. Nassar used their competitiveness against them; when dealing with an injury, they could get on site treatment and continue competing or they could drop out of the competition and go to the hospital, preying on competitiveness and cost saving. It’s not like all these parents were rich. Nassar had a lot of trust built, he wasn’t a guy that anyone suspected to be a monster. John was an ####### that was the coach you sought if your kid had potential. 

This news doesn’t comfort anyone involved. All it does is rip open a new wound, and to many (now) women it has taken another man they saw as a mentor and shown them to be monster. I suppose hearing it in the news every day during a trial is just as bad, maybe this just fades away quickly. 
 

Hoping the latter knowing he won't victimize any more .  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FairWarning said:

Not many DL can wear number 1, but my guy Louie Nix from ND could.  Bounced around the NFL for the last few years, found dead today.

This one bums me out. I’m a big ND and Texans fan so big Lou was primed to have a fan for a good while. He never got on the field for the Texans due to knee injuries, but I’ll never forget the personality he brought to that fun 2012 ND run. RIP Irish Chocolate 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

@Eagles: The Eagles are saddened to learn of the passing of Irv Cross.

Back in the day with Phyllis George, Brent “You’re looking live” Musburger, & Jimmy the Greek. Fun times. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jamny said:

Mentioned just before your previous post.

Sorry. It's such a strange piece of news. He was shot at and wounded  while at a gas station in December.  He was reported missing on Wednesday. They found his car in a retention pond Saturday.  Unconfirmed reports was that the body was in the car.

Accident? DUI? Someone dumping a body? Still waiting on details.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JaxBill said:

Former Notre Dame and NFL defensive lineman Louis Nix found dead. 29 years old.

What’s the story on this?  He was robbed  and shot in December also. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eephus said:

Reggae legend Bunny Wailer.  The last of the original Wailers.

I was never a huge reggae fan but Bunny was my favorite. I'll pop on Rootsman Skanking in his honor.

Wish I had some weed. RIP Bunny...thanks for the tunes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sea Duck said:

Tony Hendra, the actor who played Spın̈al Tap's manager.

 

"It's not a big college town..."

More importantly, a prime figure in the ascendancy and success of National Lampoon. He put a lot of very talented people together by being one of the few people on the scene willing to be the brave in a Land of Chiefs. RIP -

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

More importantly, a prime figure in the ascendancy and success of National Lampoon. He put a lot of very talented people together by being one of the few people on the scene willing to be the brave in a Land of Chiefs. RIP -

In the first stage show National Lampoon put on, "Lemmings", Hendra cast John Belushi, Chevy Chase and Christopher Guest in their first big roles. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, FairWarning said:

Very sad. Definitely seemed to have a rougher go of it than the vast majority of his Miracle teammates.

Had a brief but solid NHL career after the Olympics - brought to the Rangers by Herb Brooks and Craig Patrick and still holds the rookie scoring record for the team. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, zamboni said:

A couple others within the past few days:

Michael Stanley of the Michael Stanley Band - had a few hits, mostly known for He Can’t Love You

Walter Gretzky, Wayne’s dad and coach 

Michael Stanley, thats a name from the past.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, zamboni said:

A couple others within the past few days:

Michael Stanley of the Michael Stanley Band - had a few hits, mostly known for He Can’t Love You

Walter Gretzky, Wayne’s dad and coach 

The Michael Stanley Band was legend in most parts of Ohio - these guys were everywhere from HS through most of my 30s.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

The Michael Stanley Band was legend in most parts of Ohio - these guys were everywhere from HS through most of my 30s.

Northeast Ohio/northwestern PA was MSB’s stomping grounds. Being in high school in the late 70s-early 80s was having MSB as your soundtrack. Anywhere they played, they sold out. They were my first concert at Thiel College sometime in that era. 
Later on, his band and Donnie Iris would play shows together in each other’s town. MSB would headline in Pittsburgh and Donnie would return the favor in Cleveland. Stanley had other bands and a solo career after MSB, but it wasn’t the same. 
He was a co-host of PM Magazine on channel 8, and even appeared as himself on The Drew Carey Show. His last job was as afternoon drive DJ on WNCX. 

RIP Michael and thank God for the man who put the white lines on the highway. 

Edited by Tom Servo
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2021 at 1:09 PM, Binky The Doormat said:

The Michael Stanley Band was legend in most parts of Ohio - these guys were everywhere from HS through most of my 30s.

They were very popular in The Burgh also.

Seems it was the MSB, Donnie Iris or the Iron City House Rockers  booked as the opening act for many shows back in the 80's 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

gosh, as someone who's spent his life around players - stars, innovators, roadwarriors, garagebanders - it's beautiful to see y'all react so warmly in memory of an ol' warhorse. rock on!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Norton Juster... a name that might not be instantly recognizable.  But he wrote a children's book called The Phantom Tollbooth.  

My God, I recall reading that book so many times as a youngster, I think the pages started to fall out.    

Berkeley Breathed, the creator of Bloom County, admitted that this book was his first childhood inspiration, so much that he named Milo Bloom and his son after the main character in the book.

Edited by Shankopotamus
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...