What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (2 Viewers)

Elgin Baylor. I remember seeing him play (on TV) but it would have been the last few years of his career, he was starting to wear down as I recall but still a lot fun to watch. 
They say he wasn’t nearly as explosive after his knee surgery after the 1965 season; I probably first saw him a year or two later. So consider this: in his past his prime late Bernard King years, 1966-67 to 1969-70, he averaged 25.4/11.6/4.6, made 4 ASG, his PER was 5th/4th/5th/7th, and he made 1st Team All League 3 times.

Whereas in his first 5 years the numbers were 32.0/16.7/4.4 and his PER was 1st/2nd every year.

The Man With No Name said:
This guy's name was a legend in my playground days.

If you made a great play, then you won the right to temporarily name yourself after the superstar of your choice -- usually "Magic!" or "Bird!" or "Kareem!" or "Jordan!"

But if you put up an airball or made a bonehead play? Then the other team got to name you after some NBA benchwarmer. Some of the popular names were "Granville Waiters!", "Paul Mokeski!", "Scott Hastings!", and "Manute!"

Anyway, RIP to one of the top-10 NBA hairdos of all time.

This guy's name was a legend in my playground days.

If you made a great play, then you won the right to temporarily name yourself after the superstar of your choice -- usually "Magic!" or "Bird!" or "Kareem!" or "Jordan!"

But if you put up an airball or made a bonehead play? Then the other team got to name you after some NBA benchwarmer. Some of the popular names were "Granville Waiters!", "Paul Mokeski!", "Scott Hastings!", and "Manute!"
And the fat guys were automatically Billy Paultz, or more affectionately, The Whopper.

Rip **** Hoyt, best known for pushing his son with cerebral palsy in a wheelchair though countless endurance races including marathons and Iron Man triathlons. If you ever watched IM Kona on tv, you know who I'm talking about.
Yeah, that dude had an amazing life.

She also did the voice of Archer's mom - with the character as rendered looking a lot like Jessica Walter.

But (maybe sadly given her body of work), I remember her most fondly for her role as Phyllis Brody in The Flamingo Kid. She more than held her own in the swimsuit competition (in a movie that also had Janet Jones/Gretzky in it), she delivered some great lines too.

Last edited by a moderator:
CletiusMaximus said:
I've never read anything about this, but it seemed the Malory Archer character was a spot on re-casting of her Lucille Bluth character.
I read an obit of her today that said it was exactly that. The casting call explicitly mentioned that they were going for a Lucille Bluth vibe. Her agent saw it and said to her, if you're interested in the role, let's call them. She was and they did. 

Don Quixote said:
For her early work, I thought she was great in “Play Misty for Me.” Able to turn from charm to *menace* pretty quickly.
Earlier than that she was in the movie Grand Prix. Released in 1966 and directed by John Frankenheimer.
A ground breaking movie for sound mixing, film editing, etc. I recommend giving it a watch if you’ve never seen it.

Tom Servo said:
Houston Tumlin - the child actor from Talladega Nights - took his life. He was 28. 
I always laugh a little too much at his scenes in that movie, especially "I threw a bunch of Grandpa Chip’s war medals off the bridge."

R.I.P., Walker. You're gone far too young.

RIP author/screenwriter Larry McMurtry

Also a few various sports personalities over the past few days:

Stan Albeck - former NBA coach 

Bobby Brown - ex MLB player and later American League President

Bob Plager - longtime St. Louis Blues defenseman along with his brother Barclay - both had their numbers retired by the Blues

Last edited by a moderator:

Also a few various sports personalities over the past few days:

Stan Albeck - former NBA coach 

Bobby Brown - ex MLB player and later American League President

Bob Plager - longtime St. Louis Blues defenseman along with his brother Barclay - both had their numbers retired by the Blues
"Lonesome Dove" is one of the finest novels I've ever read.

It's been 40 yrs anyway since i boarded a plane without either a Thomas Harris or Larry McMurtry (sooo similar) book for my inflight reading. The Thalia series is so dense with what we are that we almost forget we're in the middle of nowhere without a plan. Plenty other good'ns, but McMurtry's path to heaven need be no better paved than with Lonesome Dove. Novels & miniseries, pure and poignant as dawn sky. RIP -=

By most accounts he was a flaming ####### but, my God, could he write. Lonesome Dove is still the best novel I've ever read. I was shocked when it won the Pulitzer. Not because it wasn't good enough, but because I didn't think books like that could win.

So Lonesome Dove is a must-read, huh?

RIP to McMurtry and the others today. I always wanted to watch The Last Picture Show. There's an author behind it, and it's apparently him. Interesting.

Then just get a couple from the library for yourself. Beezus and Ramona is good. And Henry and ribsy. 
Those were staples in my elementary years - and the Wednesday Witch, while I'm strolling down memory lane. They were right up there with Charlotte's Web back in the day.

So Lonesome Dove is a must-read, huh?

RIP to McMurtry and the others today. I always wanted to watch The Last Picture Show. There's an author behind it, and it's apparently him. Interesting.
Horseman, Pass By (made in to the movie Hud, but quite different), Leaving Cheyenne & Last Picture Show (i think they're McMurtry's first 3 books) are a series and they're right up your alley thematically, if not genre-wise. Base existentials - broiling fusses over bleak circumstance - told like a story 'round a fire. Read em casually and let em sneak up on you. Lonesome Dove is right there with the big novels - the obvious and obscure, done in grand style

Users who are viewing this thread