What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devontae Booker (2 Viewers)

Um...anyone concerned over the loss of their blocking FB?

That can't help.
Considering the FB has vultured a few scores it actually might.

We were talking about this in the Ajayi thread where the perspective was presented that Booker may be a better receiving option for the purpose of PPR leagues.

Booker has 2.4 targets per game over 11 games Ajayi has 2.1 targets per game over 10 games.

Bookers catch rate 69%

Ajayi catch rate 76%

Bookers yards per target 5.4

Ajayi yards per target 4.1

Based on this I think they are equally likely to have two receptions in the next game based on targets and catch rate. So I do not see the scoring format making a difference.

Booker does have better yards per target numbers than Ajaui. But more yards per targets helps in all scoring formats.

Personally I would sit Ajay and am sitting him for what I view as inferior option to Booker.

You referenced DT's floor and hw he seems locked into this targets. I look at Booker and see a guy who has had over 25 touches two games in a row and 24 or more 3 out of last 4 games. That's the kind of locked in workload I go with and I also still thin he gets a decent size workload as receiving back. You indicated he has not been real active but it's not like Bipps is designated third down back, Booker is often in the game on passing downs and entering the league I thought that was one of his best skills. 

To be honest I"m starting him with confidence. I got a league with Tevin Coleman, Marquess Wilson, Malcolm Mitchell, Marvin Jones and Booker and all week for me it's easily been Booker as taking up one of the flex spots, the other one I've changed my mind literally on every player and that just speaks to confidence I have in Booker to at least be solid.
I went back to Booker. Mainly it's Ajayi's matchup. It's just so damn awful I can't start him. Ravens' run D allowing around 60 yards per game last 4 and they just don't give up rushing TDs to anyone. Everything about that matchup is just so bad. Both him and Booker are volume backs so it's not like one has an edge over the other in that regard. At least there's a shred of hope for Booker here. Jags' run D is better at home but overall it ranks near the bottom of the league statistically. If Lynch will check down more than Siemian and he can get a TD (Lord knows he's long overdue to get one) it can end up being a respectable day.

I am literally shaking my head as I write this. I began the week feeling confident with Booker this week. I thought he looked the best he's looked as a starter against KC and this matchup wasn't scaring me a great deal and now here we are. Man things can change quickly in this game.     

Considering the FB has vultured a few scores it actually might.

We were talking about this in the Ajayi thread where the perspective was presented that Booker may be a better receiving option for the purpose of PPR leagues.

Booker has 2.4 targets per game over 11 games Ajayi has 2.1 targets per game over 10 games.

Bookers catch rate 69%

Ajayi catch rate 76%

Bookers yards per target 5.4

Ajayi yards per target 4.1

Based on this I think they are equally likely to have two receptions in the next game based on targets and catch rate. So I do not see the scoring format making a difference.

Booker does have better yards per target numbers than Ajaui. But more yards per targets helps in all scoring formats.
I don't know what the passing game snap rates are (maybe someone has them) but based off what they seem to be watching the two players it appears (and I say this knowing how wrong I could be) that Booker's on the field a lot more in passing situations than Ajayi is. It appears to me watching Denver and Miami games that Williams is on the field a lot more than Bibbs in passing situations. Booker isn't getting a lot of receptions as the starter but he seems to be on the field a lot on passing situations whereas it appears to me when watching Miami games that Ajayi tends to come out a lot in those situations. Again, I could be completely mistaken about that since I'm just going off memory here.

But I will say Booker is definitely the superior receiver watching the two players. I'm not sure there would much disagreement about that among scouts or GMs. He looks to be far more natural in the passing game and I'm surprised Kubiak isn't using him a lot more consistently since Anderson went down. His role in the passing game seems to have regressed since he became the starter which is rather odd.  

Bibbs seems to rotate in every x series or when Booker gives him the nod. I don't think it has anything to do with whether it's a passing or running down.

Regardless of who has been in the backfield, DEN has just not been throwing to the RBs out of the backfield. Siemian drops back, doesn't even look that way, and fires it down field.

Maybe this changes with Lynch.

Any data out there on JAX giving up receptions/yards to RBs? (I know I've read that my alternative here...Dixon...goes up against a MIA D that gives up a ton of receptions to RBs. See Hyde last week with 5-30-1).

The Jags are giving up a little more than 41/2 receptions per game to RBs right now. That's about middle of the pack in fantasy. Nothing special about the matchup from a passing game perspective for Booker this week. The advantage on paper is in the run game where the Jags' run defense ranks near the bottom of the league. I saw a stat last night which said they are particularly vulnerable on edge rushes and Booker has been most effective outside the tackles which, on paper, would appear to play to his strengths. But then you look back to last week and you see McCoy's big TD run was pretty much between the tackles so who knows what to think.  

JAX run D is hard to figure out. Were good last week outside of a long McCoy run but have been gashed at other points.

If you look at points allowed data JAX is middle of the pack overall. They've looked great some games and horrible others. For example:

* Shut down DET to 21-14 (although DET doesn't run well, but still...). Away. GOOD

* L. Miller 15-83. No TD. At home. OK.

* C. West 13-39. Away. GOOD.

* D. Murray & D. Henry. Absolutely ran all over them in TN. BAD.

* L. Murray 18-59-2. At home. BAD.

* J. Howard 15-34-1. Away. OK.

* F. Gore 16-68-1. At home. BAD

* Shut down BALT RBs (but they were a mess at this time). At home. GOOD

* M. Gordon 24-102-1. Away. BAD

* E. Lacy 14-61. At home. OK.

It's certainly a mixed bag. Sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't.

It also doesn't seem like there is any trend of JAX run D playing better at home vs. away.

The more I think about this the more I think that if I'm Kubiak, I let my defense and a conservative offensive plan win me the game. Why wouldn't you? JAX seems to implode left and right. So, run the ball, check down, let the defense do its thing. 

JAX run D is hard to figure out. Were good last week outside of a long McCoy run but have been gashed at other points.

If you look at points allowed data JAX is middle of the pack overall. They've looked great some games and horrible others. For example:

* Shut down DET to 21-14 (although DET doesn't run well, but still...). Away. GOOD

* L. Miller 15-83. No TD. At home. OK.

* C. West 13-39. Away. GOOD.

* D. Murray & D. Henry. Absolutely ran all over them in TN. BAD.

* L. Murray 18-59-2. At home. BAD.

* J. Howard 15-34-1. Away. OK.

* F. Gore 16-68-1. At home. BAD

* Shut down BALT RBs (but they were a mess at this time). At home. GOOD

* M. Gordon 24-102-1. Away. BAD

* E. Lacy 14-61. At home. OK.

It's certainly a mixed bag. Sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't.

It also doesn't seem like there is any trend of JAX run D playing better at home vs. away.

The more I think about this the more I think that if I'm Kubiak, I let my defense and a conservative offensive plan win me the game. Why wouldn't you? JAX seems to implode left and right. So, run the ball, check down, let the defense do its thing. 
DET, SF, BAL, IND aren't really known for their running game.

I'd expect an "ok" performance as Denver is about as good as those teams

Assuming no injury and Booker doesn't self-destruct the one thing that seems certain for Booker tomorrow is volume. Bortles has been a train wreck this season, the Jags can't run to exploit Denver's run defense so it's doubtful Bortles succeeds through the air. That would seem to guarantee Booker gets his usual amount of carries. But if this does turn into a game with two struggling offenses he could see even more volume than usual so 20+ isn't out of the question (although Bibbs could get more work too in such a scenario). I doubt we're looking at a 0-0 tie so given Bortles' propensity for turnovers and Booker being overdue for a touchdown I think Booker has a better than 50% chance to score in this game since he's clearly Denver's preferred RB in GL situations. 

Given all of this I think a reasonable rushing projection would be at the low-end something around 19-75 with a 70% chance for a touchdown. That's on the low end. I'm not going to project receiving since Kubiak hasn't shown an inclination to involve Booker consistently there since he's become the starter (even though he should in my opinion) and we don't really know if Lynch will check down more than Siemian did since the Atlanta game script likely won't repeat itself tomorrow. But if I was to do that I'd only project 1 since that's all he's been getting lately as the starter so there's no meaningful bump there. 

Assuming no injury and Booker doesn't self-destruct the one thing that seems certain for Booker tomorrow is volume. Bortles has been a train wreck this season, the Jags can't run to exploit Denver's run defense so it's doubtful Bortles succeeds through the air. That would seem to guarantee Booker gets his usual amount of carries. But if this does turn into a game with two struggling offenses he could see even more volume than usual so 20+ isn't out of the question (although Bibbs could get more work too in such a scenario). I doubt we're looking at a 0-0 tie so given Bortles' propensity for turnovers and Booker being overdue for a touchdown I think Booker has a better than 50% chance to score in this game since he's clearly Denver's preferred RB in GL situations. 

Given all of this I think a reasonable rushing projection would be at the low-end something around 19-75 with a 70% chance for a touchdown. That's on the low end. I'm not going to project receiving since Kubiak hasn't shown an inclination to involve Booker consistently there since he's become the starter (even though he should in my opinion) and we don't really know if Lynch will check down more than Siemian did since the Atlanta game script likely won't repeat itself tomorrow. But if I was to do that I'd only project 1 since that's all he's been getting lately as the starter so there's no meaningful bump there. 
If that's low end I'll take it.

If that's low end I'll take it.
He could finish without a TD obviously since he's gone without one for awhile. I just think this game sets up pretty well for him to score. Bortles is prone to turnovers which should give the Broncos the opportunity to get the ball in Jacksonville territory and the Broncos are overdue for a rushing touchdown. The latter may be a crazy reason to count on but for a team that runs the ball as much as Denver does to go a month without a rushing TD seems like a long time without one. More importantly, everything about this game script suggests the Broncos should be playing from the front so Booker should be getting volume.

A 20+ touch game seems highly probable for Booker this week. If Kubiak wises up and involves him more in the passing game his floor should be double-digit points in PPR with ease. If he does get that elusive touchdown he's overdue for everything else he gets will be gravy. 

Agree with much of this.

I think if you need a solid but not spectacular play here, Booker should work. I'm looking at my opponent this week and he is running out Ajayi in a horrible matchup @BALT and Sproles @CIN w/ 0.5 PPR. With my Booker RB slot, I'm looking to at least meet the Ajai and or Sproles production with Booker. You'd think the setup in the JAX game should allow for this.

One wildcard: The offense struggles and Kubiak decides to give Bibbs more run. That would screw up the volume narrative. The last two games tells me that there is minimal risk Kubiak does this.

I don't know what the passing game snap rates are (maybe someone has them) but based off what they seem to be watching the two players it appears (and I say this knowing how wrong I could be) that Booker's on the field a lot more in passing situations than Ajayi is. It appears to me watching Denver and Miami games that Williams is on the field a lot more than Bibbs in passing situations. Booker isn't getting a lot of receptions as the starter but he seems to be on the field a lot on passing situations whereas it appears to me when watching Miami games that Ajayi tends to come out a lot in those situations. Again, I could be completely mistaken about that since I'm just going off memory here.

But I will say Booker is definitely the superior receiver watching the two players. I'm not sure there would much disagreement about that among scouts or GMs. He looks to be far more natural in the passing game and I'm surprised Kubiak isn't using him a lot more consistently since Anderson went down. His role in the passing game seems to have regressed since he became the starter which is rather odd.  
I think Jay Ajayi has regressed somewhat as a receiver which is kind of strange to me, but that does seem to be the case at least for now. Damien Williams has morphed into a RB/FB role as he is really good at blocking and Miami had TE's injured, Williams has always been a pretty good receiving option too. Jay has had drops and things to cause Gase to perhaps not trust him to be involved more as a receiver than he has.

I agree with you that Booker had worked his way into a receiving RB role as COP to Anderson and I think he was getting more targets in the passing game then. Now with Anderson injured, he has more of a traditional role and not as many targets.

The speculation about Lynch possibly checking down to RB more than Siemien is an interesting angle to consider, as it could play out that way and that would benefit Booker for this game in terms of more targets.

It is always possible Gase changes things and tries to throw to Jay more against the Ravens, I don't feel like I can count on the game script and coaching changes that there isn't enough evidence to support.

The one game that Lynch played isn't enough of a sample for such a projection in my opinion, but if he does target RB more than Siemien has, it is something we can compare as far as differences in tendencies. Two games of Lynch a lot better sample than one.

In the first game Lynch played against Tampa (Simien injured) he threw to Fowler 3 times, Anderson once, Booker once. So 5 target to the RB.

Against the Falcons 6 targets for Booker, 4 for Anderson and 2 for Fowler. 12 targets to the RB.

The average number of targets to RB based off of this would be 8.5 which will likely be split between Booker and Bibbs. This still seems a bit too optimistic and skewed by the results of the Falcons game. A 3rd game would be something I would feel more comfortable with as far as how Lynch distributes the football to players.

I think the high targets against Atlanta had to do with the Falcon's having some good corners (unlike Tampa) and therefore an easier match up to throw to the RB more.

I'm not sure we can take much from the Atlanta game with Lynch and apply it to this week since that game script isn't likely going to occur again. The Broncos were trailing in that game and I doubt Jacksonville will build a big lead tomorrow and force Denver to play from behind. It's possible obviously since anything's possible but my guess is Denver will be playing from the front in this week's game so the RB targets we saw in Lynch's first start may not translate to tomorrow's game. Maybe they will and as Booker owners it would be great if they did but personally I'm not counting on that. 

I do think it's odd that Kubiak has basically bagged Booker's receiving role since he became the starter. In his first start against San Diego he caught five passes and did well as a receiver so it looked like he'd keep a strong role but that hasn't happened. Then last week against the Chiefs he had the big catch and looked great again. It's really baffling how Kubiak hasn't used him more. He's clearly a good receiver and he's clearly effective in space when he catches the ball. You'd think that with a struggling running attack you'd make it a point to get the ball to Booker more as a receiver but Kubiak hasn't done it. Makes no sense. It's Coaching 101 but Kubiak's failing at it right now.  

JAX has two very good corners.
A trailing game script as packersfan points out would be something less likely to happen.

When a defense has a lead they will often drop back into coverage and try to prevent any big plays, allowing the QB to check down underneath.

In the Tampa game Lynch was throwing to the WR a lot more. Maybe the Jacksonville defense (their corners) will cause them to look for other match ups a bit more frequently though.

Virgil Green was out weeks 3, 4 and 5 so there may have been more targets to RB in these games in part due to his absence. Two of those weeks are when Lynch played, he did not have Green to throw to.

In my opinion, this is the last shot for Booker.  Lynch under center should translate into more runs and dump offs.   Either put up or shut up is where I'm at with this dude.  

In my opinion, this is the last shot for Booker.  Lynch under center should translate into more runs and dump offs.   Either put up or shut up is where I'm at with this dude.  
So if he fails with a potentially huge downgrade at QB with a QB who showed little ability at all to generate offensive movement in his last start and the running game went nowhere in that start you're going to be done with Booker? That seems rather harsh. I do think the game script sets up for potentially more volume but again volume hasn't been an issue for Booker to begin with. As far as dump offs who knows. Again, I don't think we can use the receiving production from the RBs in the Falcons' game as any kind of metric and project it to what may happen in this game since I don't think the game script there is going to be repeated tomorrow.

The good news is I don't think the Jags' defense, while good at times, is a shutdown unit overall. I think they can be exposed, especially against the run. I also think Booker is coming off a game where he ran effectively and generally looked very good. If he runs like he did against the Chiefs I think he'll have a productive game again tomorrow with the volume he's likely to get. The wild card here is Lynch. None of us, including the Broncos, have any idea how he's going to perform. He was pathetic against the Falcons who have a pretty terrible defense for the most part although their run D is a Top 10 unit in terms of ranking. I would argue that's probably due to their pass defense being so terrible teams know they can throw on them with great effectiveness. Whether Lynch can make plays throwing the ball against Jacksonville's solid pass defense will be the question.

I would expect a lot of slants and quick passes to Thomas and Sanders, routes that will be easier for Lynch to complete. It would make sense to run screens and dump offs to Booker but Kubiak hasn't shown an inclination to do any of that although maybe with his backup QB and the better pass defense he'll put that into the game plan tomorrow. Who knows? Like I said before if he does that then Booker's floor rises considerably and we'll all be able to sit back and breathe a hell of a lot easier. The volume will take care of the rest because unless this game turns into some sort of a Bizarro World affair the Broncos should control it with their defense.

Good, bad or neutral, it's all about the circumstances.  Doesn't matter how good the player might be if the surrounding cast can't pull their weight.  Bad QB kills a lot of things.  Jags per CBS are rated 18th vs. the RB position.  Week 14 @Tenn is 7th  and then comes NE at 13 and Week 16 @ KC 12th.  Not ideal matchups going forward.  Hopefully the Denver O-line can find a way to create some running lanes and Booker can be a workhorse this week.  

I've been a Booker supporter but I'm done. Even with Bibbs and his high ankle sprain I'm out. My league has tight roster limits and I wouldn't be starting Booker the next two weeks anyway against the Titans and Patriots and I need someone in his roster spot I would be starting so I'm moving on. I don't blame him entirely for his production yesterday (Lynch is beyond awful) but he was pretty terrible other than his TD run. Kubiak refuses to involve him in the passing game so he's now entirely touchdown dependent and the potential volume isn't helping with their sorry offensive line. I need 15-20 points from his roster spot in my league given my team's current situation and I see no chance of that happening anymore. I've been holding out hope for as long as possible but the candle's burned out now. I'm out. 

As clueless as I have seen on here in a long time...

Just embarrassing yourself and your family man. Stop. Your kids don't deserve it. 

Normally I don't bump this kind of stuff, but the base level of the comment makes it irresistible. 

The reason Booker gets hit behind the line so often is partly the O-line, but it also has to do with his vision. When the hole is closed he'll still run head long into the back of the pile instead of seeking a different lane.  Booker is absolutely part of the problem. 

Put me in the camp that I am done.  I had such high hopes for him in dynasty.  I thought i was laughing my way to the bank.  But he has no vision, no acceleration and limited movement.   He will ride the pine the rest of the season and be cut in the offseason

Well I've got no option but to start him behind McCoy with Crowell and Lewis my only two other options. Just got to keep hoping for some goal line TDs

Normally I don't bump this kind of stuff, but the base level of the comment makes it irresistible. 

The reason Booker gets hit behind the line so often is partly the O-line, but it also has to do with his vision. When the hole is closed he'll still run head long into the back of the pile instead of seeking a different lane.  Booker is absolutely part of the problem. 
Sorry man-- flipped him & pieces for Dez Bryant before the deadline...

You keep bumping posts-- Im too busy winning

I can't say I'm completely bummed at the production he had yesterday, but without that TD (made possibly largely by Bibbs), I would be. He's going on my bench. I can't release him from a defensive move standpoint, but looking forward I can't see Denver sticking with him. Maybe he'll learn but I don't see him having a lot of value. 

You can make excuses for him... first couple of starts were against good defenses. Yesterday's game was with the backup QB. But at the end of the day good players get the job done. Even though Ajayi has a pretty tough playoff schedule, he will likely be starting for me the rest of the way. 

I can't say I'm completely bummed at the production he had yesterday, but without that TD (made possibly largely by Bibbs), I would be. He's going on my bench. I can't release him from a defensive move standpoint, but looking forward I can't see Denver sticking with him. Maybe he'll learn but I don't see him having a lot of value. 

You can make excuses for him... first couple of starts were against good defenses. Yesterday's game was with the backup QB. But at the end of the day good players get the job done. Even though Ajayi has a pretty tough playoff schedule, he will likely be starting for me the rest of the way. 
Ajayi's a MUCH better RB. You have to start him over Booker. Don't think that can even be debated at this point. Just start the superior talent and let the game play itself out however it's gonna go. If you lose playing a better player what can you do? Ajayi is so much better it's not even funny.  

Ajayi's a MUCH better RB. You have to start him over Booker. Don't think that can even be debated at this point. Just start the superior talent and let the game play itself out however it's gonna go. If you lose playing a better player what can you do? Ajayi is so much better it's not even funny.  
I agree. His matchups for the playoffs are not that great but he still got his vs the top rushing defense in the league, without his full OL. I have full faith in him going forward. Booker is potential WW foder IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if Denver worked Bibbs in more TBH

About the only positive thing we can say about Booker is that there is no real threat to his workload for the next few weeks, If Bibbs is indeed out.  For all the flaws, the lack of receptions might be the most confusing thing of all to me.  Line cant block?  Young QBs?  Wouldve though 5 short catches a game would be automatic.

Broncos RB Kapri Bibbs was spotted with a boot on his left ankle after Sunday's game.
Bibbs reportedly suffered a high-ankle sprain against the Jaguars, meaning he is going to be out at least a couple weeks. With Devontae Booker struggling and not much else on the depth chart, the Broncos will need to add someone off the street. Justin Forsett was just cut by the Lions. Dec 5 - 9:31 AM

Thompson received some carries in the 4th quarter. He's not going to threaten to take any carries away. 

Any FA they add will take at least 2-3 weeks in order to play any meaningful number of snaps. Maybe more

Yeah I'm baffled when coaches with struggling running games don't use screens and check downs more often. Makes no sense at all. It makes even less sense when you have a RB who is very effective in the pass game like Booker is and whose strength arguably is in the passing game. Kubiak really is failing when it comes to using Booker effectively. You could make the case he was using Booker more effectively as Anderson's backup than he has been as the starter which may be why Booker looked better than than he has been lately. 

For me, the complete lack of involvement in the passing game pretty much seals the deal for me to get rid of him. If he was getting 3-4 receptions per game I'd definitely hang onto him. That would at least offset the lack of rushing numbers. But 1 catch per game isn't gonna cut it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thompson received some carries in the 4th quarter. He's not going to threaten to take any carries away. 

Any FA they add will take at least 2-3 weeks in order to play any meaningful number of snaps. Maybe more
Unless its Justin Forsett who was a beast in the Kubiak system 2 years ago. :unsure:

Booker isn't dependable, but not jumping ship entirely on using him as flex based on other availability I have. 

Denver has traditionally been a run-to-establish-the-pass offense which is more accentuated by a green QB coming in learning as he goes. Even if matchups get tougher down the stretch and teams stack the box, Booker's volume will be there, and with volume comes some degree of opportunity.

Depends who you have instead, but setting expectations accordingly and will use Booker if I need to.

I don't like Booker at all. I think your better off rolling the dice and betting that Forset takes the job and runs with it.

I don't like Booker at all. I think your better off rolling the dice and betting that Forset takes the job and runs with it.
The same Forsett that was a weekly inactive in Detroit?  You know, the team that had Theo Riddick, Dwayne Washington, and Zach Zenner as their RBs at the time?  I don't have a problem taking a flyer on Forsett, but the only thing I'm betting on is that he's washed up.

The same Forsett that was a weekly inactive in Detroit?  You know, the team that had Theo Riddick, Dwayne Washington, and Zach Zenner as their RBs at the time?  I don't have a problem taking a flyer on Forsett, but the only thing I'm betting on is that he's washed up.
That is very true and he very likely  is "washed up" 

That said, he is familiar with the system and Booker is pretty much doing nothing with the touches he has been getting. I think it's worth a roll of the dice if you have the room on your roster.

Forsett is a really good receiver,and might surprise some and take the job from Booker. He didn't have a chance in Detroit to catch balls because Riddick was in his way..I think Forsett catches enough balls to give him some value in ppr leagues.Plus being reunited with Kub and knowing his system well is a big boost for him..I'm adding him as a bench stash,as I have a bye week in the 1st round of play-offs and we have deep benches as well. I'd rather have him on my bench than someone else's if he becomes productive..as a couple teams that made the play-offs in my league don't have very good RB's..I'm dropping Pope for him,so I have nothing to lose.

Rookie season often finish up slow like this.

Last year he played 10 games.  This year he is already at 16 including the preseason.  At game #11 (#7 of the regular season) he was over 4.7 yards a carry. Now he is at 3.5 and this kind of happenstance is pretty run-of-the-mill.

Rookie season often finish up slow like this.

Last year he played 10 games.  This year he is already at 16 including the preseason.  At game #11 (#7 of the regular season) he was over 4.7 yards a carry. Now he is at 3.5 and this kind of happenstance is pretty run-of-the-mill.

That might be a good excuse had he been the bellcow all along.  He only amassed 51 carries over the first 7 games while CJA was doing the heavy lifting. That's when Booker was putting up 4.78 ypc.

Now that he is the guy and getting primary work and 19 carries per game he's dropped to 2.80 ypc.  That's just flat out unacceptable and well below mediocre. I believe a better answer is that he just is not cut out to be a RB1 in the NFL. 

That might be a good excuse had he been the bellcow all along.  He only amassed 51 carries over the first 7 games while CJA was doing the heavy lifting. That's when Booker was putting up 4.78 ypc.

Now that he is the guy and getting primary work and 19 carries per game he's dropped to 2.80 ypc.  That's just flat out unacceptable and well below mediocre. I believe a better answer is that he just is not cut out to be a RB1 in the NFL. 

Rookie season - way longer then anything he has ever done.

I tend to agree with Bronco Billy on this one.  I can agree with the rookie wall on players seeing the majority of the snaps right off in week 1.  When you were COP guy the first half the season you shouldn't be hitting a wall.

I think this may be the truth. It's pretty remarkable how he went from looking so good as Anderson's backup to so bad as the starter. I don't think it's all on him. The line is dreadful and he has looked good after contact. The stats strongly support that. But man he looked dreadful against Jacksonville other than the TD run (great after contact on that run by the way). There's just no getting around it at this point. If Bibbs hadn't gotten hurt I think it's safe to say Booker's time as the starter would be over.

I have 12 WRs on my bid list that I'm putting in to pick up tonight as I look to drop him. That's how many I think can outperform him in PPR right now or have at least a reasonable shot to realistically outperform him. It's Week 14 and I'm done waiting for him to regain what he showed weeks ago. I need the production and I need it now and as I posted earlier I wouldn't be starting him the next two weeks anyway so I'm gonna find somebody I will start. Hell, someone like Rex Burkhead could outperform Booker in PPR right now. Charles Sims might too. Receiving RBs have more of a shot right now than Booker if you can't count on him to score.

Whether it was CJA vs Booker or Booker vs. Bibbs the guy who is RB1 always seems to run in predictable running situations (i.e slam either CJA or Booker into the line). Both CJA and Booker seemed to underperform. On the flip side, RB 2 would always then come in when it was more of a passing situation facing nickle or dime Ds and via draw plays or other and get yardage.

In short, give Bibbs or Forsett or the next guy the job and this same thing happens. Underperformance.

This is all less about the RB and more about the line.

Whether it was CJA vs Booker or Booker vs. Bibbs the guy who is RB1 always seems to run in predictable running situations (i.e slam either CJA or Booker into the line). Both CJA and Booker seemed to underperform. On the flip side, RB 2 would always then come in when it was more of a passing situation facing nickle or dime Ds and via draw plays or other and get yardage.

In short, give Bibbs or Forsett or the next guy the job and this same thing happens. Underperformance.

This is all less about the RB and more about the line.
The problem is that Booker has been significantly worse as the RB1 than CJA was as the RB1. 

I'm surprised people are flat out dropping him.

I was intrigued because my RB2 situation has been a disaster this year and I thought, like most people, once he got the RB1 duties he would perform as he did as the RB2 but on a larger scale. I was wrong. 

My RB2 situation is still shaky. We have short benches in our league and I wouldn't dream of dropping Booker. Even if his ceiling is 12 points. That's a heck of a lot better than how Crowell has been doing, who is my other RB2 option if Ajayi struggles or gets hurt. 

As mentioned earlier, the sheer volume helps Booker above what other options may be. Sure, if you've been playing him at flex I'd probably find someone else but I'm not so sure I'd drop him sheerly from a defensive standpoint. RB has been decimated this year why give your opponents someone to add for depth. 

That all being said, he is probably last on my roster at this point so if I needed to drop someone he'd be the guy. I just think it's hastey to drop him if you can afford to hang on 

Users who are viewing this thread