What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devontae Booker (3 Viewers)

Since we are playing the prediction game, I think the snap count will be 50/50 with CJ getting more runs and Booker getting more receptions.  The touches will be almost 50/50. 

In his last 6 games, Booker has 3 receptions or more in four of them. The Raiders are the second-worst team in the league in allowing receiving production to RBs. In the first meeting Booker didn't catch a pass but Anderson caught four and Charles one. Booker looked better than Anderson last week so it would be a bizarre move for the new OC to just kick him completely to the curb. I would think at worst this will be an even 50-50 split with Booker handling most of the passing game work. Based on the matchup and receiving production alone I would view Booker as a RB3 in PPR this week. If he gets around 15 carries again like he did last week I could see him easily vaulting into high-end RB2 territory. 

I expect a 65-35% split again this week in favour of Booker in terms of snaps. I wouldn't be shocked if Jamaal Charles is inactive this week or if he gets cut later in the year once the Broncos are officially eliminated from the playoffs.
If you think CJ Anderson will get 70% of the rushing attempts, how is this going to happen if you also think Booker will have 65% of the snaps?

Its possible that both things could happen I suppose, but seems unlikely. Anderson would need to be running the ball almost every down he was in the game for both of these things to happen.

In his last 6 games, Booker has 3 receptions or more in four of them. The Raiders are the second-worst team in the league in allowing receiving production to RBs. In the first meeting Booker didn't catch a pass but Anderson caught four and Charles one. Booker looked better than Anderson last week so it would be a bizarre move for the new OC to just kick him completely to the curb. I would think at worst this will be an even 50-50 split with Booker handling most of the passing game work. Based on the matchup and receiving production alone I would view Booker as a RB3 in PPR this week. If he gets around 15 carries again like he did last week I could see him easily vaulting into high-end RB2 territory. 
Maybe the new OC was paying attention to how when Denver won it was with CJ getting 20+ touches and getting a rythm.

Maybe the new OC was paying attention to how when Denver won it was with CJ getting 20+ touches and getting a rythm.
Could be. Personally, I think Anderson is the superior talent but there's no denying Booker looked better, and I'd argue much better, than Anderson did last week. I'm just speculating like we all are and I understand if people don't want to commit until we see how this could work out. But even if Anderson took over the clear lead RB work I don't see Booker being benched. I would still expect him to work in the passing game. There's no reason not to since short completions and easy passes for Lynch have to be a high priority this week. So even if Booker is passing RB only I'd still start him with confidence as a RB3 in PPR due to the matchup and how productive he's been as a receiver, even dating back to last season.  

I wouldn't put much stock into last week.  These coaches have been watching these guys all year.

It's possible Musgrave has been thinking all along, "It's nuts we're playing CJA over Booker".  Or he might have been thinking the exact opposite.  It didn't really matter what he thought about the RBs while he was the QB coach, though.  Now that he's the OC, it obviously does matter.

I wouldn't put much stock into last week.  These coaches have been watching these guys all year.

It's possible Musgrave has been thinking all along, "It's nuts we're playing CJA over Booker".  Or he might have been thinking the exact opposite.  It didn't really matter what he thought about the RBs while he was the QB coach, though.  Now that he's the OC, it obviously does matter.
OK then I'll put stock in the receiving work that has occurred in the bulk of Booker's games for nearly two months. That and the matchup which is incredibly great. 

Musgrave has a mixed history of RB useage in his career. But most of the examples there is a featured RB with a COP used in a very small role, with exception of 2016.

2016 with the Raiders they had a 3 way RBBC. The year prior to this its was a majority to Latavius Murray and no other RB seeing the ball much.

With the Eagles it was mostly McCoy with a little bit of Sproles mixed in.

With the Vikings and Falcons prior to that it was mostly one feature RB.

The problem I have with looking at the coaches tendencies however is that Musgrave has mostly been an OC/QBs coach in charge of the passing game. I don't think he was really making decisions about the running game. The head coaches were, and at least with the Vikings there was a run game coordinator as well. He didn't really make decisions about the RBs use. Definitely not with Chip Kelly in charge with the Eagles.

So while I think what you are saying is possible, and looking at the coaches history there are more instances of one RB getting the majority of the work than there are of RB splitting opportunities a lot with another RB, I am just not sure that Musgrave will have anything to do with it. That s the head coaches decision, and the run game coordinators decision if tbe Broncos have one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not quite sure why people are predicting 70% on either RB — wasn’t it the head coach that implied he would use a RBBC out of necessity? If you take him at his word, we’re looking at a 1a and 1b — cause enough for me to completely avoid the situation — good luck tho :thumbup:  

Struggling with him or McKinnon in PPR if Hogan isn't back healthy. Have pretty comparable opportunity, both could get 4+ receptions and have 10 touches running the ball. Might have to just go based off match up. I don't see Booker getting more than 50% of the touches but his catch floor has been nice. 

Feels like we’ve been predicting Booker to take over for a month.  Problem is, CJ is healthy and looking fine.  Besides showing great receiving skills, Booker hasn’t done anything to stand out.  

If you think CJ Anderson will get 70% of the rushing attempts, how is this going to happen if you also think Booker will have 65% of the snaps?

Its possible that both things could happen I suppose, but seems unlikely. Anderson would need to be running the ball almost every down he was in the game for both of these things to happen.
I never said that I thought CJ Anderson would get 70% of the carries that was someone else. I think in early down situations it will be a even split  as they rotate in and out.but that Booker will see almost all the passing downs. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jamaal Charles inactive.

Anderson makes $4.5Million Per for the next two seasons after this one and none of it is guaranteed. So there is a real good chance the Broncos just move on from him after this season. For that reason alone I think they want to see one more time what Booker can do with more work. I wouldn't be shocked if Booker is the lead back heading into next season and the Broncos draft another RB to compete with him.

OC Musgrave's first presser today.

Around 2:35 he addresses RB situation.

"Book deserves more touches"

https://milehighsports.com/bill-musgrave-on-his-new-job-the-new-offense-and-paxton-lynch/
When I first saw that quote I thought it was in response to a question specifically about Booker but it wasn't and it makes the comment perhaps more telling.

For those who haven't watched the clip here is the full question and answer.

Reporter: Q. What is your philosophy on the running back group? Is it more bellcow approach in your eyes or running back by committee?

Musgrave A. Well I think I've seen what you've seen, is that Book has really been playing some good football, so I think Book deserves more touches and we'll see how the game goes. Fortunately that stable of running backs is a real deep stable with Jamaal and of course with CJ so we have confidence in all 3 of them.

It sure sounds from that question and answer that Book is going to the first crack as the feature back this week. Of course, a lot will depend on what he does with it.

Starting him over Rex and Jamaal Williams, he seems to have the most upside in a must win game I'm projected to lose. Twenty touch's vs a terrible Oakland defense? Im in!

Broncos OC Bill Musgrave feels Devontae Booker "deserves more touches."

"Book has really been playing some good football," said Musgrave. "I think Book deserves more touches. Obviously, we’ll see how the game goes." Booker produced a season-high 98 yards from scrimmage in last week's loss to Cincinnati while out-touching C.J. Anderson 19-15. Finally healthy after being hampered by a broken wrist earlier in the year, Booker will be in the RB3 conversation Sunday at Oakland. He also makes for an intriguing DFS option at just $5,500 on FanDuel.

Source: Denver Post

I'm waffling between D. Booker and D. Parker @ NE this week - can't decide who I'm going to start..  All signs point to Booker having a larger share of the workload going forward, and they have the juicy matchup against OAK, but the change at QB and OC have me a bit concerned.

Steeler said:
I'm waffling between D. Booker and D. Parker @ NE this week - can't decide who I'm going to start..  All signs point to Booker having a larger share of the workload going forward, and they have the juicy matchup against OAK, but the change at QB and OC have me a bit concerned.
I know nobody cares about my team, but I started Booker over Parker and his 1 catch for 5 yard performance  :thumbup:

Broncos release RB C.J. Anderson
Move opens up $4.5 million
By: Mike Krueger | Apr 16 2018, 10:39 am

Running back C.J. Anderson had planned to use trade talk as motivation. He’ll now have even more motivation. Per a league source, the Broncos will be releasing Anderson. (ProFootball Talk)

FFToday's Take: Anderson was reportedly told of his release prior to team meetings this morning. The Broncos have been shopping Anderson and even had a tentative agreement with the Dolphins earlier this off-season before Miami backed out of the deal. Anderson topped 1000 rushing yards for the first time in his career last season, finishing 17th in fantasy points among RBs (standard scoring), and 21st in FPts/G. The Broncos are left with Devontae Booker and De'Angelo Henderson atop their running back depth chart. Adding a rookie RB in the upcoming draft is certainly a possibility.

Broncos' Devontae Booker: Appears next in line

by RotoWire Staff

Following the release of C.J. Anderson, the Broncos are reportedly very high on Booker's future, Benjamin Allbright of 104.7 FM Denver reports.

Booker was seen as a steal in the fourth round of the 2016 draft, a player Denver reportedly considered in the first two rounds that was perfect for then-head coach Gary Kubiak's one-cut scheme. The results haven't been there. In his nine career games with at least 10 carries, he's averaged four yards per carry just twice, and both games came in 2016. A wrist injury set Booker's sophomore season back, and it's possible that he just needs a full offseason and more consistent opportunities to turn the corner. If not, look for De'Angelo Henderson and a likely draft pick to apply some pressure.

They're definitely in play for Barkley at #5. But more likely is a 2nd-4th round RB. Someone who can come in and compete and add to the mess of a committee they have going on there. 

The Broncos have been shopping Anderson and even had a tentative agreement with the Dolphins earlier this off-season before Miami backed out of the deal. 

I like how one beat writer reports this and it gets taken as fact, even after a pretty reliable beat writer on the other side refutes it.

Next Gen Stats has data on the 20 fastest speeds reached by ballcarriers each week. Devontae Booker is one of the RBs who never cracked the top 20 over the past 2 seasons. Seems like a bad sign, especially after looking over most of the other names that didn't crack the weekly top 20.

(dynastyleaguefootball) The Broncos selected Oregon running back Royce Freeman with the 71st pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Analysis: The Broncos were all set to go into the season with Devontae Booker and De'Angelo Henderson in the backfield but that all changed when they took Freeman. Dynasty owners of Booker were crossing their fingers the Broncos would pass on the position but that didn't come to fruition. Freeman provides a nice blend of speed and power and should immediately contend for carries. Booker is likely better in a complementary role and that's seemingly what's going to happen. This is a tough break for Booker's dynasty value and pushed Henderson further down the list of possible sleepers.

9news.com's Mike Klis reports Devontae Booker 'figures' to be the lead back into training camp.

Klis also thinks rookie Royce Freeman will 'eventually' get a chance to rotate with Booker. The Broncos released C.J. Anderson in the offseason, leaving Booker, 2017 sixth-round pick De’Angelo Henderson, Freeman, 2018 seventh-round pick David Williams, and rookie UDFA Phillip Lindsay as backfield depth. Denver seems intent on Booker being the team's No. 1 running back despite his average 3.8 YPC last season after averaging 3.5 as a rookie. It's a position battle that should be monitored closely in camp.

Related: Broncos

Source: 9news.com 

May 12 - 10:07 AM

The Denver Post expects the Broncos' 2018 backfield to "feature a heavy dose of Devontae Booker."

The Broncos drafted Royce Freeman at No. 71 overall, but he's not being gift wrapped starting duties. Longtime beat reporter Mike Klis of 9 News Denver also suggested previously Booker would enter training camp as the starter. The Denver Post says No. 2 back duties behind Booker are "yet to be determined." Booker usually lasts until the double-digit rounds in early fantasy drafts.

Source: Denver Post 

Jun 11 - 4:59 PM

Mike Klis of 9 News Denver expects Devontae Booker to start Week 1 against the Seahawks.

Booker has developed a "good command" of Denver's offensive playbook while also showing well in pass protection. Klis believes those traits give Booker a leg up on third-round rookie Royce Freeman, a 230-pound bruiser and arguably the most prolific ball-carrier in Oregon's history. The top of Denver's running back depth chart could seesaw back and forth this year, but ultimately we'd expect the team to adopt a committee approach.

Related: Royce Freeman

Source: 9 News Denver 

Jul 22 - 12:19 PM

Any HC who starts the 4th best RB on his roster in week 1 should be terminated immediately, but that’s what is looking to happen with Booker projecting to start.

Any HC who starts the 4th best RB on his roster in week 1 should be terminated immediately, but that’s what is looking to happen with Booker projecting to start.
Let's see what happens week three of the preseason before we make this a foregone conclusion. 

Let's see what happens week three of the preseason before we make this a foregone conclusion. 

Because Booker doesn’t have a pro resume yet and shouldn’t be judged?  Or because you think Vance will suddenly come to his senses despite so much evidence to the contrary?

Royce still has plenty of time to force his hand.  Not saying he will, but if Booker keeps plodding for 2 yards per carry during the preseason and Royce is still looking sharp he may not have a choice.

Because Booker doesn’t have a pro resume yet and shouldn’t be judged?  Or because you think Vance will suddenly come to his senses despite so much evidence to the contrary?

Hoping on the latter, yes. We still have practices and such for Freeman to impress enough to push Booker aside. And at the same time, Booker has lots of time to keep showing he doesn't have much to show. 

Devontae Booker - RB -  Broncos

Devontae Booker rushed for 17 yards on four carries while snaring his only target for a 10-yard gain Saturday in the Broncos’ second preseason game against the Bears.

Booker drew the start while working in tandem with Royce Freeman throughout the first half. His longest rushing attempt went for just six yards. Freeman averaged a mere 3.3 yards per carry on Saturday, though he did score one of the Broncos’ two touchdowns on a four-yard scamper early in the second quarter. Booker may be the nominal starter for Week 1, though we’d fully expect Denver to employ a backfield committee.

Aug 19 - 1:01 PM

Everyone acting like Freeman is already the starter. I'll gladly grab the true starter in the 11th round.

In case you've forgotten what Booker can do for you:

LINK

Users who are viewing this thread