What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devontae Booker (2 Viewers)

Everyone here is so eager to find the "next" guy, you'd think RBs lose their starting jobs every other week. Remember when Hillman was the next guy?

I'm sure Booker will get better at blitz pickups, and I can ignore one fumble as long as it doesn't become a pattern. But Anderson looked like a stud against a great defense last night, he's "the" guy barring injury. 

Anyone see how he played week 2?
I saw parts of the game. Mostly Anderson but Booker had one pretty nice runs (10 or 11 yards) I saw. No other plays stood out to me, just some normal runs where he did ok. He didn't fumble, so thats good.

By the numbers Booker was fairly effective. He had 14 snaps (20%) 9 rushing attempts 46 yards 5.1 ypc 1 target 1 reception 5 yards.

Anderson is playing very well right now so clearly ahead of Booker as far that goes. Booker is getting enough playing time to help him develop and  enough opportunities to further impress the coaches. He could be really good if Anderson becomes unavailable. The Broncos are averaging 30 rushing attempts per game so far. In some of their easier match ups its possible they run the ball more than this, which could make Booker a flex starter I suppose for those match ups, but not many weeks you would want to do that as long as Anderson continues playing well and stays healthy.

I saw parts of the game. Mostly Anderson but Booker had one pretty nice runs (10 or 11 yards) I saw. No other plays stood out to me, just some normal runs where he did ok. He didn't fumble, so thats good.

By the numbers Booker was fairly effective. He had 14 snaps (20%) 9 rushing attempts 46 yards 5.1 ypc 1 target 1 reception 5 yards.

Anderson is playing very well right now so clearly ahead of Booker as far that goes. Booker is getting enough playing time to help him develop and  enough opportunities to further impress the coaches. He could be really good if Anderson becomes unavailable. The Broncos are averaging 30 rushing attempts per game so far. In some of their easier match ups its possible they run the ball more than this, which could make Booker a flex starter I suppose for those match ups, but not many weeks you would want to do that as long as Anderson continues playing well and stays healthy.
Thanks for this info. I'm looking at dropping him in redraft for McKinnon, Washington (Det) etc right now as I will have RB problems after Bell comes back.

McKinnon is a tough one. If I absolutely had to I might drop Booker for him. In a vacuum McKinnon is more athletic and I have seen him be very effective as a runner in the NFL than we have seen from Booker yet. I am not completely convinced McKinnon will be able to be consistent enough in a starter role, the upside is pretty awesome though. That is a difficult choice. McKinnon might have some good games in the near future. I like both players a lot. Not an easy choice for me.

I would keep Booker over Washington for sure though.

im holding on to booker because a) CJA has gotten dinged up before and b) it appears the denver RB position is going to be fantasy friendly....

Guess it is good that it Is on the rise, now if he can only produce
Know what CJ's ypc is this year?  I'll save you the time. It's less than 3.5.  Booker hasn't lit the world on fire, but neither has his competition. There's an opportunity there if he can capitalize.

Know what CJ's ypc is this year?  I'll save you the time. It's less than 3.5.  Booker hasn't lit the world on fire, but neither has his competition. There's an opportunity there if he can capitalize.
Also CJ has never carried the ball more than  around 180 times in a season, college or pro. At his current pace he'll exceed that mark in week 10. He's not very good now and don't see him getting better as the season goes on. Tried to say this in CJ Anderson thread after week one and got gang tackled by masses and gave up trying. Booker will be starting games for the Broncos this season and when he does he won't be giving it back up to Anderson. Bank on it.

The fumble was about as bad a start as Booker could have had.  Not just because it was a turnover, but because he's been much more timid since then clearly focused more on protecting the football than making things happen.  Hopefully as he continues to distance himself from that his production on the touches he does get will continue to improve.

Virgil Green and Donald Stephenson have missed the last two games, and that has hurt the run game. 

Positive trend for sure, just not sure what to make of their game yesterday.  Denver O was such a mess.
Yeah, not a normal game with Paxton Lynch at QB and playing from way behind. RB rush attempts were down overall, CJ had 11 and Booker had 6. Lynch ran it 6 times himself. They ran a lot of plays with an empty backfield and Lynch was still getting sacked.

What %FAAB would you say for Booker? He is a FA in my league (short bench) and I want to make a run at home. Im liking the increasing percentage snaps.

I am just not sure they are going to unseat the guy they just signed for 18 million. That's not breaking the bank but it's not chump change either. For all intents and purposes, CJ has been doing well. Last game Booker was way more effective. I guess if he does poorly this week again Booker would have a shot at taking but I'm not exactly sure how that would go either. 

Hate wishing for injuries, but you almost would need that for Booker to be a weekly starter (yes I know, cpt obvious, but what I mean I'm not so sure he just takes it outright without something happening) 

Weeks 3 & 4 it looked (to me) like they were planning to use every opportunity to limit CJA's touches over the season (garbage time carries for example... pretty much 100% other RBs).

Yesterday was very different however. Not sure if they were using Booker more to absorb some of the pounding that Anderson was taking, of if he has truly earned his way into a split situation. Sure feels like the latter to me.

Weeks 3 & 4 it looked (to me) like they were planning to use every opportunity to limit CJA's touches over the season (garbage time carries for example... pretty much 100% other RBs).

Yesterday was very different however. Not sure if they were using Booker more to absorb some of the pounding that Anderson was taking, of if he has truly earned his way into a split situation. Sure feels like the latter to me.
Judging by how good he looked, and the stats he posted, he certainly looked like he's turning heads. That's why he's piqued my interest this week on the WW. If this happens one more week Booker is the hot name out there. Only 9% owned in Yahoo fantasy leagues. This could be the week to buy if you haven't

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging by how good he looked, and the stats he posted, he certainly looked like he's turning heads. That's why he's piqued my interest this week on the WW. If this happens one more week Booker is the hot name out there. Only 9% owned in Yahoo fantasy leagues. This could be the week to buy if you haven't
If you wait for his "Jordan Howard game" it will be too late. Better grab him now if you think he's the man.

It will be interesting to see if any reports about practice reps being split, or "look for more Booker this week" stuff starts to trickle out.

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva  4h4 hours ago
These are Devontae Booker's weekly playing time percentages:

Week 1: 10%

Week 2: 19%

Week 3: 23%

Week 4: 25%

Up to 41% in Week 5 per Silva this morning. :thumbup:
Before this weeks games it was a classic case of the ability to play with stats for make a point or frame an argument. And I'm not remotely saying that is what Bracie did here, just saying that while Booker truthers could have pointed to the increased playing time percentages the Anderson believers could have pointed to fact that Anderson's snap count was exactly 48 in 3 of the first 4 games and 47 in the other. So Anderson peeps could argue his playing time was zero less and Booker folks could have argued his playing time was on the rise and both had stats to stand on.

Virgil Green and Donald Stephenson have missed the last two games, and that has hurt the run game. 

Yeah, not a normal game with Paxton Lynch at QB and playing from way behind. RB rush attempts were down overall, CJ had 11 and Booker had 6. Lynch ran it 6 times himself. They ran a lot of plays with an empty backfield and Lynch was still getting sacked.
The excuses for Anderson's poor output rival more than any player I can recall. After week one the several people said the reason he was not consistently productive in past years was that Kubiak had never really been able to run his system and some said the presence of a true FB. Now here we see it's the TE, OL out and QB.

Anderson is kind of odd in that based on his YPC up till this year he did not really need any excuse for his lack of consistent production. My biggest negative on him was that he one time he put a series of a few productive games together was when he got in late in season and was fresh against worn down defense who were more concerned with Peyton. That and fact I always go back to with him is the lack of never exceeding 180 carries in a season, college or pro.  But again in terms of yards per rush he never needed an excuse until this year, and he has no shortage of excuses at the moment.

I am just not sure they are going to unseat the guy they just signed for 18 million. That's not breaking the bank but it's not chump change either. For all intents and purposes, CJ has been doing well.
That contract is really not what it seems. It's likely to end up either being a one year deal for $6.575 million or a two year deal for $9.47 million.  Other than that not sure what criteria would be using to say he has been doing well.

That contract is really not what it seems. It's likely to end up either being a one year deal for $6.575 million or a two year deal for $9.47 million.  Other than that not sure what criteria would be using to say he has been doing well.
Nice to know about the contract. That was my one hang up, but I know it's not a huge deal that they are forced to give him the ball because they are paying him. Figured someone here would know more details of what the contract really was

To your second point, he's 10th in my league in total points (14th for PPG) for a RB. That's doing pretty well IMO. 

The excuses for Anderson's poor output rival more than any player I can recall. After week one the several people said the reason he was not consistently productive in past years was that Kubiak had never really been able to run his system and some said the presence of a true FB. Now here we see it's the TE, OL out and QB.
I wasn't making an excuse. I repeated what his coach said. 

The contract is kind of a "as long as you're producing" contract, it never gets prohibitive like some of these deals are structured.  Year 2 has $1.7M of dead money on a $3M cap hit so keeping him only costs another $1.3M over the dead money.  He'd have to be really bad or cancerous not to keep around for that.  Year 3 and 4 are straight-up $4.5M each so if he's playing well that's a solid bargain for them. 

The contract is kind of a "as long as you're producing" contract, it never gets prohibitive like some of these deals are structured (Fitzpatrick).  Year 2 has $1.7M of dead money on a $3M cap hit so keeping him only costs another $1.3M over the dead money.  He'd have to be really bad or cancerous not to keep around for that.  Year 3 and 4 are straight-up $4.5M each so if he's playing well that's a solid bargain for them. 

What %FAAB would you say for Booker? He is a FA in my league (short bench) and I want to make a run at home. Im liking the increasing percentage snaps.

I am just not sure they are going to unseat the guy they just signed for 18 million. That's not breaking the bank but it's not chump change either. For all intents and purposes, CJ has been doing well. Last game Booker was way more effective. I guess if he does poorly this week again Booker would have a shot at taking but I'm not exactly sure how that would go either. 

Hate wishing for injuries, but you almost would need that for Booker to be a weekly starter (yes I know, cpt obvious, but what I mean I'm not so sure he just takes it outright without something happening) 
how many teams and roster sizes?  I might do 10%.

To your second point, he's 10th in my league in total points (14th for PPG) for a RB. That's doing pretty well IMO. 
In relation to fantasy, sure.  But that point was brought up in regards to him possibly losing playing time to Booker.  And in that sense, in real life, he hasn't "been doing pretty well".  He hasn't eclipsed 4ypc in a game since week 1, and is at 3.5 on the year.

In relation to fantasy, sure.  But that point was brought up in regards to him possibly losing playing time to Booker.  And in that sense, in real life, he hasn't "been doing pretty well".  He hasn't eclipsed 4ypc in a game since week 1, and is at 3.5 on the year.
We are in agreement here. A year ago CJ didn't even have the starting job, now suddenly he's anointed the bell cow? Booker is very intriguing.. 

how many teams and roster sizes?  I might do 10%.
12, 14... thinking 10% should be more than enough. For now I have 15% but likely dropping it

I wasn't making excuses either, just pointing out the low number of rushing attempts by the whole team. It wasn't a normal game for them so Booker's jump to 41% must be taken with a grain of salt. When 41% playing time gets you a grand total of 6 rushing attempts, that should tell you something was off. I watched the entire game and they just weren't calling run plays like they normally do. Lots of 4 wide and 5 wide formations, and lots of defenders getting to Paxton Lynch in a hurry.

Yes it sure seems like a split situation now. And Booker is 10 months past his knee surgery which is what caused his draft stock drop. He's a better option in the passing game but CJ is still a solid fit as a runner in this offense. RBBC duo the rest of the way unless one of them gets hurt.  

We are in agreement here. A year ago CJ didn't even have the starting job, now suddenly he's anointed the bell cow? Booker is very intriguing.. 

12, 14... thinking 10% should be more than enough. For now I have 15% but likely dropping it
yeah, in that size, I think 10 is probably enough right now.

I wasn't making excuses either, just pointing out the low number of rushing attempts by the whole team. It wasn't a normal game for them so Booker's jump to 41% must be taken with a grain of salt. When 41% playing time gets you a grand total of 6 rushing attempts, that should tell you something was off. I watched the entire game and they just weren't calling run plays like they normally do. Lots of 4 wide and 5 wide formations, and lots of defenders getting to Paxton Lynch in a hurry.
while that's true, the staff made a comment to the commentating crew that they were looking to work Booker more into the game as they felt he brought fresh legs or something similar to that term.

CJA has historically been a slow starter. before it was due to being buried on the depth chart and then injury last year. this year he looks a step slower. he might just be a cold-weather RB or he might just be a guy who needs his touches limited to remain effective either way, the staff was already looking to get Booker involved more this past week and I doubt it changes much going forward.

Maybe someone can check and run the #s, but my impression yesterday was that Booker got most of his snaps in the last couple drives -- when the Broncos were chasing the game.

Maybe someone can check and run the #s, but my impression yesterday was that Booker got most of his snaps in the last couple drives -- when the Broncos were chasing the game.
I don't know anyone who has granular snap count data (by quarter, by drive) but just glancing through the play by play he had six of his ten touches on the last two drives (CJA had multiple touches on both as well.) His other four touches came on 3 drives and he had 4-5 drives with no touches (including several 3 n outs & a 1-play interception drives.)

Anytime they strung together first downs, both backs were involved.

not going back to rewatch, but they were splitting reps pretty early on and Booker had a pretty good timeshare esp in the 2nd Q.

I drafted the guy and resisted the urge to drop him weeks 1-3.  I'll hang on. I have him as my lotto ticket with Smallwood and Richard.

This is definitely a situation worth watching.   Not sure if every changes from a 50/50 split though no matter how good Booker looks.  CJ has been playing well.

who do you think you would you drop first between booker and smallwood?
Why not trade Booker to the Anderson owner?

I picked up Gillislee last week, and wound up moving him to the McCoy owner (the day that McCoy hurt his hand at practice) and extracted Travis Benjamin from them.

SD allows the most receptions to RBs in the league (from Rich Hribar's invaluable worksheet over at Roto).  I think Booker is a good RB3/flex start this week.

• After having 46.5 percent of the team touches through the first two weeks, C.J. Anderson has had just 33.6 percent of the Denver offensive touches since.

[*]Devontae Booker's snap percentage through five weeks: 10 percent, 19 percent, 23 percent, 25 percent and 41 percent.

[*]San Diego is allowing 3.57 yards per carry to opposing running backs, the 7th fewest in the league.

[*]The Chargers are allowing 9.6 receptions per game to opposing backfields, the most in the league.

[*]San Diego allows 2.8 red zone touchdowns per game, the most in the league.

SD allows the most receptions to RBs in the league (from Rich Hribar's invaluable worksheet over at Roto).  I think Booker is a good RB3/flex start this week.

Good info.  That said, Booker is an extremely risky flex with limited upside IMO.  That game against the Falcons with Lynch at the helm was a complete S show, so I'm not sure I'd read a whole lot into Booker's six receptions or even the 40% snap count (I expect him around 30% most weeks).

Good info.  That said, Booker is an extremely risky flex with limited upside IMO.  That game against the Falcons with Lynch at the helm was a complete S show, so I'm not sure I'd read a whole lot into Booker's six receptions or even the 40% snap count (I expect him around 30% most weeks).
Good point.  He is on the brink of flex status.  I am very curious to tune in Thursday to get a feel for what we have here going forward.

Devontae Booker rushed five times for 46 yards in the Broncos' Week 6 loss to the Chargers.

Booker out-rushed C.J. Anderson 46-37 despite receiving half the carries. It was the second time in five days Booker looked like the springier Broncos back, though CJA out-gained Booker 71-53 when you include receiving yards. Anderson also had some big runs, including a touchdown, negated by penalty. Per Pro Football Focus' Nathan Jahnke, Anderson out-snapped Booker 57-15. Nevertheless, the Broncos now have 10 days to think about what they want to do with their backfield, and it's not going to be involving Booker less. The fourth-round rookie needs to be 100 percent owned ahead of an intriguing matchup with the Texans. He's still just an RB3, but one with major room to grow down the stretch.

Source: Nathan Jahnke on Twitter

They need to give Booker the ball more, he looks explosive. 

However, CJA looked great catching the ball out of the backfield. 

Users who are viewing this thread