What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devontae Booker (2 Viewers)

He missed a key block towards the end of the game when Siemen took that massive sack.  He did look like a better runner however CJA is going to be more trusted by the coaching staff.  Long way to go IMHO before they give him the lead in a RBBC, much less pass him the reigns.  Barring an injury I don't think it's going to happen this year?

They were equally effective running last night with CJ the better pass catcher and pass protector.  Denver needs someone behind CJ and hey have a good one so Booker isn't going anywhere.  I wouldn't feel comfortable starting him on a weekly basis, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
The good news is Booker looks great. The bad news is the Denver offense doesn't.

Two good RBs in a bad offense isn't great for fantasy production. Better to have one good RB in a bad offense (Rams) or two good RBs in a good offense (Falcons).

He looked great despite seeming to have issues knowing where to line up.   It also looked like he was badly out of position on some pass blocking situations and poorly executed another.  That one handed catch was good to see. 

Have to take the long view on Booker right now.

Look at their schedule. There is not one intimidating matchup.

Booker is already getting touches and has flashed some explosiveness. Add the schedule and the potential for injury and I think you have a Flex type player with serious upside.

I'm holding tight.

They were equally effective running last night with CJ the better pass catcher and pass protector.  Denver needs someone behind CJ and hey have a good one so Booker isn't going anywhere.  I wouldn't feel comfortable starting him on a weekly basis, however.
You must have been watching a different game.

He missed a key block towards the end of the game when Siemen took that massive sack.  He did look like a better runner however CJA is going to be more trusted by the coaching staff.  Long way to go IMHO before they give him the lead in a RBBC, much less pass him the reigns.  Barring an injury I don't think it's going to happen this year?
Yeah, as soon as that sack happened he was effectively benched.  It happened in week 1 as well (it wasn't the fumble that got him benched). 

Same game.  Interesting you say that because I would think differently had I not actually watched the game and only looked at stats as maybe you did?
I tend to agree with this.  Stats show low ypc for CJ and Booker high ypc.  And don't get me wrong, Booker looked great on his carries.  But CJ constantly had DL in the backfield forcing him to bounce runs outside.  Plus, two 10-15 yard carries (his two best of the game) called back by penalty and of course a very nice 20 yard catch and run for a TD called back.  So while his stats didn't show a great game, I thought he looked pretty good out there.

I tend to agree with this.  Stats show low ypc for CJ and Booker high ypc.  And don't get me wrong, Booker looked great on his carries.  But CJ constantly had DL in the backfield forcing him to bounce runs outside.  Plus, two 10-15 yard carries (his two best of the game) called back by penalty and of course a very nice 20 yard catch and run for a TD called back.  So while his stats didn't show a great game, I thought he looked pretty good out there.
I agree in general but in fairness, the two long runs by CJ were called back on holding penalties that broke the run.

I agree in general but in fairness, the two long runs by CJ were called back on holding penalties that broke the run.
Exactly. You don't get to play if only not for the penalty when the hold is the reason he broke the runs.

Broncos ran on first down five times last night. CJA went 4-4 and Booker was 1-3. The RT and TE both got benched for performance reasons, and the LT had two critical holds in the fourth (safety and CJA's spectacular reception TD.) They have to have better O-line play. Siemian was only sacked twice but it seemed like every 5 or 7 step drop he was spinning out of the pocket and throwing on the run.

Booker has to be consistent in pass pro before his share increases. Looked explosive running, but 57-15 in snap counts speaks volumes about how comfortable they are with his all-around game at the moment.

Denver had 282 yards rushing in the first two weeks. In the last four they've had 306. They're a good team but they have to turn that around as that has to be their strength if they are going to get past Oakland this year.

Not too much to add here that hasn't already been said. Booker looked good on his rushing attempts but still a liability in pass protection. In fairness I did see Booker successfully pick up a free blitzer earlier on in the game. The one where the QB gets sacked, nearly all of the blockers were in the middle allowing the blitzer to come free off of the edge. That wasn't all Bookers fault. This was likely the play call a protection assignment. SD had been running a lot of stunts and having success with pressure up the middle on several plays prior to this, that is how defenses change things up. No one seemed to have the assignment on the free blitzer outside.

The Chargers had the ball for about 20 minutes in the first half not giving the Bronco's much of a chance to establish anything on offense. By the time they did they were in chase mode and not enough time left to try to establish the run.

Booker was one of the bright spots for the Broncos on offense in an otherwise lackluster performance for all of their offensive players who never found much of a rhythm in the whole game.

Props to SD for what looks like an improved defense. a solid game plan and execution. It would have been even more one sided in the Chargers favor if they knew how to field a punt without turning the ball over.

Penalties are penalties for a reason. They don't count. cant argue that. Basically... those plays didn't happen.

I think all along Booker has looked better with then CJ when there is, in fact, a defender that needs to be dealt with.

Much like Atlanta's Freeman over Coleman in that regards. All these backs are good, but this particular facet is considerable.

Posted in the RB Lotto Ticket thread as well, but bringing it over here too since it's relevant:

Just to fan that Booker flame a little more, this was from Jeff Legwold from ESPN:

After practice today Gary Kubiak offered this on the run game and rookie running back Devontae Booker: "We've got to give Book some opportunities, he's doing some good stuff." And a couple minutes later Kubiak said: "When he's had the opportunities he's done some really good things. As a young player we're trying to get him going as far as protections and those type of things and he's starting to handle himself better. I think he deserves some more opportunities to touch the football. And when he's had the opportunity he's done some good things."
Likely just coach speak, but not quite the coach speak I would want to hear if I was holding Anderson but not Booker. Sounds like we may be headed towards a full blown committee.

Devontae Booker is expected to see more snaps in Week 7.
It falls in line with coach Gary Kubiak’s comments. With C.J. Anderson struggling, the Broncos plan to make changes to their run scheme. Booker (4.7 YPC) has been more effective than Anderson and could see closer to an even timeshare this week. Anderson will start against Houston, but doesn’t have much leash.

Source: ABC Denver 
Oct 21 - 8:31 PM

not watching tonight, just looking at stats but man how long can I wait for him to take over? I either have to drop my AZ defense week 9 for a bye week fill in and risk losing them or I drop booker.

not watching tonight, just looking at stats but man how long can I wait for him to take over? I either have to drop my AZ defense week 9 for a bye week fill in and risk losing them or I drop booker.
Barring injury, he's not taking over. CJ looks every bit as good.

Do not drop him though.

If the defense can control the game and keep the score down, running the ball 35 times between the two RB can be a successful offense.

Booker fumbled again?

Otherwise it looks like he had a decent game with Anderson playing somewhat better than him. I didn't watch this one though. Curious what others thought of what they saw?

Matthew Berry said he was bitter about Booker vulturing a TD
He's a shill for the 8-team league audiences where Booker is still on the WW. Nothing to see there.

ETA: Booker looks like the real deal. Quick burst to holes, moving piles. One series in the 2H it seemed like he was getting close to first downs on every rush. Dynasty owners have to be salivating, re-draft he's an immediate priority if he's miraculously on the WW and a must-hold in the event of a CJA injury and/or takeover. Based on the snap count above, he's a solid flex RB3 in his current role.

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks fantastic running, but problem is CJ look great too.

With the average at best QB play and a great defense, CJ and Booker will get plenty of snaps to share the rest of the way to be a bye week/flex play. Booker has done enough to lock up a spot in my 5 bench league the rest of the way.

Cj getting a second opinion. I am very concerned about ligament damage. Looking at 1-3 weeks up to IR depending on this second opinion. 

Please see my posting in the CJ Anderson Thread: 

Second opinion on an injury is never a good sign. Usually that means the original diagnosis was bad and they are making sure that is verified

Given how he was hit (I've only seen pictures, no one has been able to give me a video), I am concerned about possibly some PCL or MCL involvement, partial tear most likely. I wouldn't expect meniscus, but again all I've seen is pictures. 

Ligament damage would make sense as you usually don't have pain except immediately at the time of injury. Many players return and play on a torn ACL, PCL, etc without any pain (the ligament is ruptured or significantly stretched and will only be painful if torn further if only partially torn).

It is possible a second opinion is to determine if surgery is warranted or a brief rest will be enough to allow the ligaments to heal. That is a very likely scenario, but again I have as much details as you do on what is actually wrong. My inside info does not include the Broncos. My prediction would be partial ligamentous tear based on how he was hit, how he reacted and that he was able to return, but now is seeing a second opinion

Edit: I thought this was his left knee based on pictures, I do believe ACL is a major concern here as it is the right knee he was struck on

As a FYI for value...I just traded Booker to the CJA owner for Derrick Henry (im the DeMarco owner) in my redraft.

I just want to wish everyone in here good luck with Devontae. I don't feel good letting Booker go, I just feel better with the handcuff.

Users who are viewing this thread