What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official watch thread...... Do we have one? (1 Viewer)

Do you wear a watch?

• Yes

Votes: 70 59.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 40.7%

• Total voters

ragincajun

Footballguy
Any watch guys here. I have been on a watch kick for about 5 years now.

My current rotation is:

Citizen Eco Drive

Luminox 3051 https://www.luminox.com/watch-collection/sea/navy-seal-colormark-3050-series/xs-3051.html

Tissot Tradition Cronograph http://us.tissotshop.com/tissot-tradition-chronograph-quartz-2.html

Apple Watch 42mm space gray - Not my style though. My ADD is not helped by the notifications. Will be getting rid of it soon.http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch-sport/42mm-space-gray-aluminum-case-black-sport-band?product=MJ3T2LL/A&step=detail

I think this will be my 40th bday present..... Maybe if the wifey approves. https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/speedmaster/moonwatch/product/ first one in the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
In all reality I started to wear a watch because it is much more professional of me to glance down at it during a meeting than pull out my phone. Then I saw another I liked and then I thought hey I need one with a white face to go with certain suits etc.

Not an alias of mine...

Watches are awesome - I'd disregard the advice on looking at a phone for the time, the sharpest doods always look at their wrist. I'd also wager that 1 out of 2 people here who say that have > 1 pair of Wrangler, Lee, or Levi dungarees with little to no sense of style.

I'd also assume they don't understand how cool a machine is that works on a mechanical movement and keeps precise time, to within 1-2 seconds of an electronic clock. These things work on movement, just so awesome!

Omega is a nice watch, hopefully you get one for your 40th. It'll prob cost you an extra $$$ on the gift your wife will want when you get your new watch.

I just added this in December, Rolex Submariner 116610, love this thing. http://i.imgur.com/jCAqDV7.jpg

Ive got a Breitling Bentley GT http://i.imgur.com/2s90H3B.jpg

A Tag Heuer Calibre Chrono with the rubber strap as the sweats and beater piece

& I still have this, a Movado - first watch I ever purchased. Got it when I was 17 for like 4 or 5 hundred. Saved up, thought it was the greatest thing in the world. Haven't worn it in prob a decade. Even though the cost to fix and polish is = to what it would be worth, I might do it anyways to give to my first son as his first watch. http://i.imgur.com/BzclFHS.jpg

I'm going to add a Rolex Milgauss (prob get it used) with a blue face to my collection in a year or two. This one http://i.imgur.com/KNrlGax.jpg My dream watch which I'd like to buy in 7-8 years is a Patek Nautilus.

PM me, I can direct you to a great board to buy and sell watches for good prices.

There's no practical reason to wear a watch. Let's face it, you're wearing jewelry.
I guess if you don't know how to tell time that's true. Even then, we could probably hook you up with a digital watch so you don't need to dig your phone out of your pocket.

Timex Triathlon. $35ish at Wal-Mart. Usually lasts 3-4 years on the original battery. Throw it away and buy a new one.

Fits my Levi's and flannel shirt lifestyle.
Elgin. Local jewelry store offered a "lifetime battery" for $15 about 10 years ago. All battery changes after the first one were free, so I stop in once a year and get a new one.

About 10 years ago, I spent some gambling winnings on an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra. I still wear it daily and have never thought about buying another (thankfully for my wallet). I do plan to buy my son a Hamilton one day as that is his given name. That should be a fine starter watch. If he wants something nicer one day, he'll be on his own.

http://www.omegawatches.com/watches/seamaster/aqua-terra-mid-size-chronometer/25043000/

There's no practical reason to wear a watch. Let's face it, you're wearing jewelry.
I am indeed wearing jewelry if that's the case. However when I am in a canoe or kayak, fishing etc, it's much safer and easier to glance at my watch than to see where the sun is or risk dropping my phone in the drink.

I am indeed wearing jewelry if that's the case. However when I am in a canoe or kayak, fishing etc, it's much safer and easier to glance at my watch than to see where the sun is or risk dropping my phone in the drink.
:thumbup: From a guy who dropped his phone in the river while kayak fishing last year, I stand corrected, you do actually have a practical reason. Everyone else, still jewelry.

I guess if you don't know how to tell time that's true. Even then, we could probably hook you up with a digital watch so you don't need to dig your phone out of your pocket.
...or look at your car dash or stereo or a clock on a wall or the clock on your computer or say "hey, you...yeah you with the overpriced bracelet on your wrist...what time is it?"

...or look at your car dash or stereo or a clock on a wall or the clock on your computer or say "hey, you...yeah you with the overpriced bracelet on your wrist...what time is it?"
So you need me to keep wearing my watch to help you out when you're not in your car or classroom? OK, will do.

Yep. I have a ridiculously nice watch.
lol
Yeah, maybe that sounded bad.

My watch was my wedding present from my wife. Her family is in the jewelry business. So, the prices for what they can get are very low, but that just means that they get high-end pieces. Of course, the present needed to be paid back so that basically became community debt anyway. I was taken aback because I never would have considered making such a purchase on my own, but since it's my wedding present I can't exactly suggest we liquidate it (I actually floated the idea when we were doing IVF but that got shut down quickly). Basically, it'll be the only watch I ever own.

I wear my Citizen Eco-Drive Stainless Steel Chronograph just about every day. No winding, no batteries. Love it.

I might upgrade to titanium in a year or two.

I'm thinking about investing in a nice watch and just starting the search. When I say investing, I'm talking about absolute max. $2K.

My dream watch is a Rolex Daytona, like this one...

https://www.tradesy.com/accessories/rolex-rolex-daytona-stainless-steel-black-dial-chronograph-watch-116520-8579161/?utm_campaign=CA_Google+Shopping&utm_content=Accessories+%3E+Watches+%3E+Rolex+%3E+1000%2B&utm_medium=pla&utm_source=gpl&utm_term=%26match%3D%26pid1%3D155809183696pla-155809183696%26pid2%3D8579161%26origin%3Dpla%26cid%3D321116896%26aid%3D25314809776%26gclid%3DCOuI2vT4-MoCFQiQaQodHikHYA&utm_wild=desktop&gclid=COuI2vT4-MoCFQiQaQodHikHYA&ad=99109959976

But, with my budget no way I'm ever sniffing that thing. What I like about it though..

- 40mm size (1.57" diameter) seems perfect...not too big, but not too small either

- Brushed silver (not shiny silver)

- Chronograph dials with the white to make them noticeable

- Black face (not racist!)

Anybody have any brands/models to look into that could fit this bill for $2K or less?

On an image search I found this Michael Kors MK8256 Everest that matches the look/style I'm wanting, but this is a 44 mm size (1.73" diameter) and feel that's getting too large and won't be comfortable on my wrist. I'd also like a brand of better quality to invest in.

http://static.buyma.com/imgdata/item/131119/0011587422/428_1.jpg

ETA: I also do like the Rolex Submariner with the date magnifier like Fantasycurse has (and linked to above), but that's still in the $5K-$6K area that I personally can't justify.

Yep. I have a ridiculously nice watch. I have no business wearing it. It's purely for show. And the time is never correct.
Sounds like a quality piece.
:lmao: I just realized it's basically the one you're looking to get above. You're just more on winding the watch than I am.
A Patek Nautilus? Or the Milgauss?

I'm thinking about investing in a nice watch and just starting the search. When I say investing, I'm talking about absolute max. $2K.

My dream watch is a Rolex Daytona, like this one...

https://www.tradesy.com/accessories/rolex-rolex-daytona-stainless-steel-black-dial-chronograph-watch-116520-8579161/?utm_campaign=CA_Google+Shopping&utm_content=Accessories+%3E+Watches+%3E+Rolex+%3E+1000%2B&utm_medium=pla&utm_source=gpl&utm_term=%26match%3D%26pid1%3D155809183696pla-155809183696%26pid2%3D8579161%26origin%3Dpla%26cid%3D321116896%26aid%3D25314809776%26gclid%3DCOuI2vT4-MoCFQiQaQodHikHYA&utm_wild=desktop&gclid=COuI2vT4-MoCFQiQaQodHikHYA&ad=99109959976

But, with my budget no way I'm ever sniffing that thing. What I like about it though..

- 40mm size (1.57" diameter) seems perfect...not too big, but not too small either

- Brushed silver (not shiny silver)

- Chronograph dials with the white to make them noticeable

- Black face (not racist!)

Anybody have any brands/models to look into that could fit this bill for $2K or less?

On an image search I found this Michael Kors MK8256 Everest that matches the look/style I'm wanting, but this is a 44 mm size (1.73" diameter) and feel that's getting too large and won't be comfortable on my wrist. I'd also like a brand of better quality to invest in.

http://static.buyma.com/imgdata/item/131119/0011587422/428_1.jpg

ETA: I also do like the Rolex Submariner with the date magnifier like Fantasycurse has (and linked to above), but that's still in the $5K-$6K area that I personally can't justify.
$5-$6k is gonna get you the older model used, 16610, the newer ones with the cyclops date (116610) will run 65-7500 used.Here's the the thing about a Rolex, AP, Patek - They hold their value, not like the diamond thread where moving those is impossible to not take a bath. The Daytona you're looking at can prob be found for $10,500-$12k new... You won't find a decent conditioned used one for less than $9k (and that would be a good deal), even from a private seller. While it's a big purchase, it isn't like most other purchases in this price range, if need be, you can get your money back on them without much hassle. The only caveat are the precious metal ones, gold and platinum you'll def take a bigger loss.

Also, instead of a Michael Kors watch listed above, if I was looking for a watch in that range, Swiss Army makes a pretty decent piece.

Need an FC42 watch scale that is similar to the offdee scale so this all makes sense.

I wear a watch 24/7

Primary is Swiss Army I got in 1996 that has been to more countries than this whole thread.

Bought a Seiko direct from Japan auto recently, like it a lot. I like Victorinox watches best: they last forever, they look great, and they keep perfect time. There are different levels from consumer grade to stuff in the $800 range.

As far as pricey stuff I like Breitlings, but won't buy one just yet. I always have upgrades to do in my three houses, so it never seems logical. But I do appreciate those who like fine watches, just not those who rub it in your face. :mellow:

Also, instead of a Michael Kors watch listed above, if I was looking for a watch in that range, Swiss Army makes a pretty decent piece.
Michael Kors is around $200. Rolex is around $6K+ I'm looking to discover brands in the middle of those two with similar styles...$1K-$2K area

I have about 20, a few expensive (Datejust, Speedmaster, Eterna, Oris, Tag) but most not. I've worn a G-Shock 5600 all day. Yeah, it's jewelry but it's the only jewelry I'd ever wear except my wedding ring. If you're used to wearing a watch, a cellphone isn't a substitute. If you're not, get off of my lawn.

You can easily find forums like this (well not exactly) where people post incessantly about their watches. Just google watch forum. I just lurk and occasionally buy used ones but it's interesting to see the variety, the history and the struggle to survive. If you're interested in buying, those forums are useful to see what's out there.

I have about 20, a few expensive (Datejust, Speedmaster, Eterna, Oris, Tag) but most not. I've worn a G-Shock 5600 all day. Yeah, it's jewelry but it's the only jewelry I'd ever wear except my wedding ring. If you're used to wearing a watch, a cellphone isn't a substitute. If you're not, get off of my lawn.

You can easily find forums like this (well not exactly) where people post incessantly about their watches. I just lurk and occasionally buy used ones but it's interesting to see the variety, the history and the struggle to survive. If you're interested in buying, those forums are useful to see what's out there.
They're great resources for buying, selling, and obtaining info. I'm not much of a poster on any of them, occasionally for advice or questions, but I mainly lurk and read through. Interestingly, no ifighting at all on any of them, even with some strongly differing opinions on high ticket items.

The Seiko direct link Eephus provided in the other watch thread has some nice options.

These are Japanese time pieces, not mass produced Seiko of China/Indonesia/Thailand. I know people love their snooty watches, but these are quality items.

People gave me #### (likely it was deserved) for saying comic book movies are for overgrown kids. I know I'll continue to get #### for this comment as well, but unless he's doing something like mowing the lawn or staining a deck, a man should be wearing a watch. I've got a few. Nothing real expensive actually, but a few options. A Shinola, MVMT, Kimono Winston, Spirit of St Louis and some vintage ones. A nice watch can had for $100 that will run well and look like it's worth a lot much more.

Michael Kors is around $200. Rolex is around $6K+ I'm looking to discover brands in the middle of those two with similar styles...$1K-$2K area
As Eephus mentions, there are a few forums you can search around specifically designed for watch talk. I PM'd you a link for one of them. You can find some good info and some good deals from private sellers.

In the $2k range, you can prob find some used entry level Breitlings or possibly an Omega. Every watch I've ever purchased, has been purchased new, however, as I continue to build my collection, I might start looking for used moving forward. The fact of the matter is you're going to scratch and put flaws into your watch, it is impossible not to... If you find a good deal on a used watch, you'll prob be able to sell for close to what you bought it, if you ever get tired of it.

A fine watch purchased at a good price will always hold value.

The look at their cell phone crowd don't understand how cool a mechanical watch is. Just google a YouTube video of what's going on inside the actual watch, this is what collectors are really paying for. Some of the most expensive watches go beyond keeping time, they track dates (down to leap years), moon cycles, stopwatches, time zones, etc... All on tons of tiny components inside the watch working strictly on movement.

Sometimes I'll just hold my watch to my ear and the little ticking sounds I hear bring a smile to my face knowing what's going on inside. It sounds stupid to most, but the fact that I can sell without much trouble for close to what I paid, validates im far from alone in this mindset.

The Seiko direct link Eephus provided in the other watch thread has some nice options.

These are Japanese time pieces, not mass produced Seiko of China/Indonesia/Thailand. I know people love their snooty watches, but these are quality items.
Love the Alpinist. Wish they still made the Titanium ones.

The Seiko factories in SE Asia produce lots of nice watches at insanely low prices. They bring out new models constantly most of which will never be sold in the US. I've never had a problem with Singapore and HK Seiko dealers on eBay. I have an old Seiko 6309 diver from the 80s that loses about 30 sec. a day to my cellphone. But the Seiko is the tortoise in the race; it'll still be running ten years from now and the phone won't.

The Seiko factories in SE Asia produce lots of nice watches at insanely low prices. They bring out new models constantly most of which will never be sold in the US. I've never had a problem with Singapore and HK Seiko dealers on eBay. I have an old Seiko 6309 diver from the 80s that loses about 30 sec. a day to my cellphone. But the Seiko is the tortoise in the race; it'll still be running ten years from now and the phone won't.
Kind of mad i didn't buy this one. I had it in my cart and then realized I had better things to buy. But I really regret it....

Kind of mad i didn't buy this one. I had it in my cart and then realized I had better things to buy. But I really regret it....
That's a nice looking piece...how much was it?

Not an alias of mine...

Watches are awesome - I'd disregard the advice on looking at a phone for the time, the sharpest doods always look at their wrist. I'd also wager that 1 out of 2 people here who say that have > 1 pair of Wrangler, Lee, or Levi dungarees with little to no sense of style.

I'd also assume they don't understand how cool a machine is that works on a mechanical movement and keeps precise time, to within 1-2 seconds of an electronic clock. These things work on movement, just so awesome!

Omega is a nice watch, hopefully you get one for your 40th. It'll prob cost you an extra $$$ on the gift your wife will want when you get your new watch.

I just added this in December, Rolex Submariner 116610, love this thing. http://i.imgur.com/jCAqDV7.jpg

Ive got a Breitling Bentley GT http://i.imgur.com/2s90H3B.jpg

A Tag Heuer Calibre Chrono with the rubber strap as the sweats and beater piece

& I still have this, a Movado - first watch I ever purchased. Got it when I was 17 for like 4 or 5 hundred. Saved up, thought it was the greatest thing in the world. Haven't worn it in prob a decade. Even though the cost to fix and polish is = to what it would be worth, I might do it anyways to give to my first son as his first watch. http://i.imgur.com/BzclFHS.jpg

I'm going to add a Rolex Milgauss (prob get it used) with a blue face to my collection in a year or two. This one http://i.imgur.com/KNrlGax.jpg My dream watch which I'd like to buy in 7-8 years is a Patek Nautilus.

PM me, I can direct you to a great board to buy and sell watches for good prices.
Oh man, your post about the Movado just brought up a memory I had totally forgotten. I had Chance with me the day I bought my Explorer II. While we were checking out, the salesman turned to Chance and said "This will be your watch one day" and Chance beamed a huge smile. He must have been around six years old at the time. :cry:

Edit: That is actually a great memory, albeit bittersweet. A real gift to have remembered it. Thanks for your post and I'm glad I read this thread.

I just bought an oris f-1 (https://jet.com/product/detail/9c685c61589e4609bdd3b0e15c165b92?jcmp=pla:ggl:cwin_apparel_accessories_a1:jewelry_watches_a1_other:na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=ba9ff81f-6299-45e5-88bc-c9979f423c23&abkId=403-646074&gclid=Cj0KEQiA0sq2BRDRt6Scrqj71vQBEiQAg5bj0y-ix0e8SmKYaRSBqySZzejDoXxf--pai6wye5yAhcoaAtPK8P8HAQ)  for 1k.  Great watch made by a well respected swiss company.  Very good everyday watch that looks good with suit or jeans....

thought on someone who wears 2 watches? One on each wrist

followed up with rings and necklaces that match

Users who are viewing this thread