What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Probably a dumb excel question... (1 Viewer)

Short Corner

Footballguy
Can't change the data to numbers apparently. Reformatted cells - entire sheet, and column by column. Arithmetic formulas get data type error. Range won't sort. Pretty much a PITA. Never run in to this before, has to be something simple, right?

Can't change the data to numbers apparently. Reformatted cells - entire sheet, and column by column. Arithmetic formulas get data type error. Range won't sort. Pretty much a PITA. Never run in to this before, has to be something simple, right?
To help you narrow down what it is, go into Preferences and click on Error Checking. Make sure that the box to Enable Background Error Checking. This could be a WAG but you may have an error in the cell formatting. Highlight the cells or that portion of the sheet that is not labels, right click, and in the drop down when you right click, convert to numbers.

Another suggestion - not sure how much data you have, but open a new Worksheet. Highlight all, Copy, and then Edit>Paste Special. Then Paste >> Value, and while the new sheet is still highlight, Edit>Paste Special>>Format.

Is it sortable now? It's no longer a workable sheet because you didn't copy all, so Highlight all, Edit>Paste Special>>Formulas.

Background checking is checked. I've tried reformatting several different ways. Tried the paste options you suggested. Keep getting #value error on formulas (really simple stuff....doing a scouting report so just dividing by game value to get 3pg). Did a simple 2*3 that worked below my data on the sheet.

Could this be a source problem? I copied the data of an html table. I've done this several times before and it has worked ok.

Thank you for your time btw.

Background checking is checked. I've tried reformatting several different ways. Tried the paste options you suggested. Keep getting #value error on formulas (really simple stuff....doing a scouting report so just dividing by game value to get 3pg). Did a simple 2*3 that worked below my data on the sheet.

Could this be a source problem? I copied the data of an html table. I've done this several times before and it has worked ok.

Possibly. I know this is a bit of work but another thought is to copy the data from the html into a text file, fix any spacing/formatting, then import from the text file. But if have a lot of data that might be a bit too much work.

Another thought is trying to save the html as a csv file first in excel (you'll only be able to do this one sheet at a time, can't save in csv as a workbook.)

Anyway, good luck. Maybe try Googling Excel help forums if none of my suggestions work - I sometimes figure out a solution that way.

Possibly. I know this is a bit of work but another thought is to copy the data from the html into a text file, fix any spacing/formatting, then import from the text file. But if have a lot of data that might be a bit too much work.

Another thought is trying to save the html as a csv file first in excel (you'll only be able to do this one sheet at a time, can't save in csv as a workbook.)

Anyway, good luck. Maybe try Googling Excel help forums if none of my suggestions work - I sometimes figure out a solution that way.
Thanks. Tried looking for a similar problem but no luck. Will try the text file later.

Users who are viewing this thread