What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​ 🏛️ ​Official Supreme Court nomination thread - Amy Coney Barrett (2 Viewers)

Given how many years Republicans let the whole “Obama might have been born in Kenya” thing run and how the majority of self-indentifying Republicans still believed it as recently as last year... I’m good with taking 90-120 days to figure out if there was anything untoward about this SCOTUS retirement and replacement, especially given the potential financial ties between Kennedy’s son and the Trump Organization. 
Maybe, I guess. But the means to an ends sure feels like it’s built on a foundation of crappy reporting that also impugns the hell out of Kennedy.

IMHO it would hurt the Dems if they shut the gov't as a tactic to negotiate SC nomination.
But not that republicans did it over immigration.

so it’s not about the economy and it’s effect...it’s about feelings.

thanks...I figured as much

Sounds like a solid plan from the “adults in the room.”
They need to run with the Kennedy/Kavanaugh quid pro quo thing.  Push that conspiracy as far as it can go ?.

The desperation is getting thick.  If Dems don’t take the House or the Senate in the next election I expect we’ll see a 2016-level meltdown.

Maybe, I guess. But the means to an ends sure feels like it’s built on a foundation of crappy reporting that also impugns the hell out of Kennedy.
What if it was a small piece of a large pile that also included the possibility the current President only won the election because he conspired with a foreign government to do so?

No, it isn't.  The electoral college is the reason Trump is president.  I think you're getting two different things confused.
This seems inaccurate. Trump took both Michigan and Wisconsin, both of which are heavily gerrymandered. I think I read Michigan was considered the most heavily gerrymandered state in the country. Those electoral college votes were a direct result of the gerrymandering.

Am I being too literal or am I missing sarcasm?

They need to run with the Kennedy/Kavanaugh quid pro quo thing.  Push that conspiracy as far as it can go ?.

The desperation is getting thick.  If Dems don’t take the House or the Senate in the next election I expect we’ll see a 2016-level meltdown.
This seems to be a full-blown freakout over replacing a conservative justice with a slightly different flavor of conservative justice.

If the Democrats fail to take the senate and Trump gets to replace RBG or Breyer, I don't even know how people would respond.  

This seems inaccurate. Trump took both Michigan and Wisconsin, both of which are heavily gerrymandered. I think I read Michigan was considered the most heavily gerrymandered state in the country. Those electoral college votes were a direct result of the gerrymandering.

Am I being too literal or am I missing sarcasm?
Neither of those states allocate their electoral votes by congressional district.  They both award their EVs by the overall popular vote across the state.

What if it was a small piece of a large pile that also included the possibility the current President only won the election because he conspired with a foreign government to do so?
What if the entire government is compromised? We need to shut it down and replace everyone...just to be sure.

This seems to be a full-blown freakout over replacing a conservative justice with a slightly different flavor of conservative justice.

If the Democrats fail to take the senate and Trump gets to replace RBG or Breyer, I don't even know how people would respond.  
I’m open to the possibility there is some residual disappointment over how naming Scalia’s successor was handled.  IMO if Merrick Garland was given a proper confirmation process and evaluation, there wouldn’t be the hand-wringing we’re seeing over Kavanaugh.

The half-century or so of unethical behavior from Trump might be a factor, too.

What do you think of the idea of delaying Kavanaugh’s confirmation until the Mueller investigation concludes?
Why would Republicans agree to do that? Mueller has been stringing that investigation out for over a year.  He could easily string it out another one or two.  In the meantime, the world continues to spin.

Trump is President and the Congress is Republican.  If you don’t like it, beat them at the polls.  Until then, suck it up.

Why would Republicans agree to do that? Mueller has been stringing that investigation out for over a year.  He could easily string it out another one or two.  In the meantime, the world continues to spin.

Trump is President and the Congress is Republican.  If you don’t like it, beat them at the polls.  Until then, suck it up.
Shorter than Benghazi and Whitewater. 

Last edited by a moderator:

How about “until the Mueller investigation concludes or six months, whichever comes first”?  Capping the wait at about half the delay between Scalia’s death and the first hearing to replace him?

Great example. Outside of some screaming and hollering, everybody went about their business.

The investigation will continue, just like everything else.
I added Whitewater too. My main point being nobody on the Republican side should say boo about the length of the Mueller investigation. 

They will, of course. But they absolutely shouldn't. 

Reagan didn't get to make any SCOTUS nominations when the IC was investigating Iran-Contra.  How shameless for McConnell to abandon this bipartisan precedent.

The most likely scenario for a government shutdown is Trump triggering one by refusing to sign a spending bill without also getting funding for a border wall and power to deport the DACA kids.  Dems would just need to stall until Trump throes his next border wall tantrum.

And if you think the GOP would lose any votes over a government shutdown initiated by Trump to keep the brown people out of the country, I don’t think you’ve been paying much attention to what the party has become since Trump hijacked it.
Trump didn't hijack the GOP. It is what many people in the party worked very hard to make it since the day Strom Thurmond joined. 

Neither of those states allocate their electoral votes by congressional district.  They both award their EVs by the overall popular vote across the state.
This is the deal. It is time to "win bigly" in order to get the desired outcomes. Otherwise, sucking it up is in the cards right now. Remember this feeling in November 2018 and 2020.

I remember when Clinton couldn't nominate any justices while the Whitewater investigation was ongoing.  Can't believe McConnell changed the rules to allow nominations to move forward now.
It's really shocking. It's almost as if he'll do anything to put party over country. Crazy.

The “I’m going to hold my breath and stomp my feet until I get a Justice I want” crowd is in rare form today. 
Yeah, where did they ever get the idea of amending existing rules and even fabricating nonexistent ones to serve blatantly partisan interests on Court appointments. I can't imagine.

I saw a quote someplace where he said he changed his mind on this issue as a direct result of his first-hand experience with the Clinton investigation.  That's actually pretty cool if that's the case.  In general, I think we should applaud people who learn from their experience, recognize mistakes, change their minds when warranted, and publicly acknowledge doing so.  This is a very good habit of mind.

That said, I still think he was right the first time.
I'll take the opposite view.  If you do something "bad," it's all to convenient to do that "bad" thing and then say "I shouldn't have done that, and I don't think other people should be able to do it either."  It's got the feel of a woman who took advantage of her legal ability to have an abortion, but then has a change of heart and advocates for making abortion illegal.  Puke. 

So when McConnell ignored the Garland nomination and refused to hold hearings, what rule was McConnell following?  

And do you think McConnell’s decision to not move forward on Garland was ethical or unethical?
This is easy. The rule McConnell was following was: “No President shall have a Supreme Court nominee confirmed unless the White House and the Senate are controlled by the same party, at least so long as I am Senate Majority Leader.”

It was unethical as hell.

The rule he was following was "I have a majority, and I'll use it as I damn well please."

Unethical.
Do you think McConnell’s previous unethical behavior regarding SCOTUS nominations fuels resistance to Kavanaugh’s nomination?  

If Merrick Garland is on the Supreme Court today, do you think we would see the same level of resistance to Kavanaugh’s nomination today?  (Feel free to substitute Gorsuch for Kavanaugh, given Gorsuch would probably have been nominated to replace Kennedy had he not replaced Scalia.)

The weird thing is when people try to frame the McConnell rule as “No President shall have his Supreme Court nominee confirmed within a year before a midterm election.” It had nothing to do with midterms.

More difficult that you think.

But I guess years and years of jurisprudence could fly out the window because a Bush disciple and 53 year old lifetime appointee feels a debt is owed to Donald J. Trump. 

Crazier things are happening every day with this administration.
I think this, in combination with Kavanaugh’s intro, is a more viable argument. I’d add that Kennedy was handing down decisions while apparently seeking to name his successor. The Hawaii opinion, where he basically said the administration was lying about its national security basis for the travel ban but then concurred with the majority, is really weird in this context. 

So when McConnell ignored the Garland nomination and refused to hold hearings, what rule was McConnell following?  

And do you think McConnell’s decision to not move forward on Garland was ethical or unethical?
He was using the power he had as Senate Majority Leader.  I expect Democrats will use any rule, law, or tactic to slow down Kavanaugh as well.  Unfortunately for them they don’t control the Senate so their options are more limited.

I think this, in combination with Kavanaugh’s intro, is a more viable argument. I’d add that Kennedy was handing down decisions while apparently seeking to name his successor. The Hawaii opinion, where he basically said the administration was lying about its national security basis for the travel ban but then concurred with the majority, is really weird in this context. 
If one was working with the administration to fix the next SCOTUS pick what would be the best way to avoid detection - agreeing with everything the administration does or picking a high profile policy to oppose?

ETA - I'm not saying I believe there was a fix. I'm merely posing a hypothetical in response to the NBC report and Saints' post. 

No, it isn't.  The electoral college is the reason Trump is president.  I think you're getting two different things confused.
Again, a nitpick: Gerrymandering led to state laws disenfranchising the poor and minorities.  Because of the electoral college, only a relatively small number of folks had to be disenfranchised for it to have a massive effect. 

Do you think McConnell’s previous unethical behavior regarding SCOTUS nominations fuels resistance to Kavanaugh’s nomination?
Yes, the previous escalation of chicanery always leads to the next escalation in a never-ending cycle of destroying our constitutional democracy. It’s been going on for decades, and it’s saddening.

He was using the power he had as Senate Majority Leader.  I expect Democrats will use any rule, law, or tactic to slow down Kavanaugh as well.  Unfortunately for them they don’t control the Senate so their options are more limited.
And in 2020, when the Democrats have the White House and the Senate, they’ll pack the Court with 13 total Justices.

Then it will be the Republicans’ move.

As the Constitution reads (as of now), a sitting president cannot be indicted.....he must first be removed from office.
Just another thought on this. And yeah I don’t want you to strain yourself I’m merely using this because this will be a Trumpite argument, and it’s out there, including Giuliani himself.

Kavanaugh argued that Clinton could be impeached for obstruction for 1. delaying his interview by Starr until he had to be subpoenaed, and 2. lying to the press in an effort to mislead the public, Congress and the investigation. I don’t want to revisit the point about the 2009 article but Trumpites should know what this guy actually argued for.

Again, a nitpick: Gerrymandering led to state laws disenfranchising the poor and minorities.  Because of the electoral college, only a relatively small number of folks had to be disenfranchised for it to have a massive effect. 
Gerrymandering isn’t new.  The Democrats are just reeling from getting annihilated in local elections over the past decade.

The shoe will eventually fall to the other foot again.

Users who are viewing this thread