What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​ 🏛️ ​Official Supreme Court nomination thread - Amy Coney Barrett (4 Viewers)

By the Democratic Plantation she is inferring how the democrats use government aid to get African Americans in the current day plantation and keep them there so they don't advance out of it..  That is what Candice Owens is about.
Well I don't know her background so maybe she says that in other videos but she doesn't spell it out in the one you linked.  

JohnnyU said:
Why do the poor vote democratic not realizing they are being bamboozled with government handouts? 
Why do Red states accept more federal aid than Blue states yet decry government handouts?

Why do Red states accept more federal aid than Blue states yet decry government handouts?
California (blue state) only has 12% of the nation's population, yet has 30% of the nation's welfare recipients. 

Last edited by a moderator:
TobiasFunke said:
I haven't watched all that much, but I've found him to be a lot more off-putting and dishonest than the typical conservative Justice.  Lying about "growing up in a city plagued by gun violence" when he was raised in maybe the richest suburb in America was just such a gross and needlessly dishonest moment.  Reminded me a lot of his unnecessary and obviously absurd statement about Trump, in literally his first words to the public after the nomination:

None of this is disqualifying of course, but ... eww.  I get enough remorseless bald-faced lying from the executive branch these days.
I thought his speech that the EPA can't investigate Climate Change because Greenhouse Gases and climate change were unknown at the implementation of the Clean Air Act (they weren't, actually, but that's another topic) was pretty freaking hilarious.  This while he has no qualms about the 2nd amendment covering automatic weapons. 

California (blue state) only has 12% of the nation's population, yet has 30% of the nation's welfare recipients. 
Let me see your source on that.  And I don't want some opinion piece written by Kris Kobach.  I mean, after that display you have to source your points.

Let me see your source on that.  And I don't want some opinion piece written by Kris Kobach.  I mean, after that display you have to source your points.
It's true.  The big reason is the massive income disparity between the truly wealthy and the poor, and the fact that California does a better job than most states of actually giving helpful benefits in a sizeable enough amount to make a difference.  

It's true.  The big reason is the massive income disparity between the truly wealthy and the poor, and the fact that California does a better job than most states of actually giving helpful benefits in a sizeable enough amount to make a difference.  
Cool.  So, accurate but not really in the way that JohnnyU intended it to be.  Thanks, Henry.

Yet they have so many living on the streets (tent cities) because no one can afford housing in California. 

One of the big things is that in California, when aid is being given for children, if their parents fail to comply with requirements, the state continues the aid for the children. The "Unconditional Support for Children" policy is a huge budget item.

One of the big things is that in California, when aid is being given for children, if their parents fail to comply with requirements, the state continues the aid for the children. The "Unconditional Support for Children" policy is a huge budget item.
Let's not forget all that aid to illegal immigrants too

Yet they have so many living on the streets (tent cities) because no one can afford housing in California. 
Their really big issue is mental health care.  California (under either Brown the first go around or Reagan) was the first big state to stop funding mental hospitals.  Obviously, the whole country later did.  But then the funding for community-based "halfway-house" style mental health care was cut out, and NIMBYism kept those from getting set up, anyway. There are a ton of severely mentally ill people in California who are homeless.

I thought his speech that the EPA can't investigate Climate Change because Greenhouse Gases and climate change were unknown at the implementation of the Clean Air Act (they weren't, actually, but that's another topic) was pretty freaking hilarious.  This while he has no qualms about the 2nd amendment covering automatic weapons. 
Also weird since the Court has already held that EPA can and perhaps must address greenhouse gases under the CAA and in other areas he defers to precendent.

Unrelated, but "I'm a pro-law judge" is also hilariously stupid and ripe for parody.  "I'm a pro-food chef."  "I'm a pro-child babysitter."  And so on.

To be fair, without illegal immigrants, California's shadow agricultural economy would collapse and we'd probably be in the midst of a food (of at least some kinds) shortage in this country.
Perhaps some shortage, but the midwest feeds the world and we don't have that much poverty as California.  The cost of the aid to the illegal immigrants has to be outrageous. 

So much wrong here in just two sentences.
really, how?  You want to compare poverty in Minnesota and Iowa to California?   You deny the cost of aid to illegals in California is outrageous? 

really, how?  You want to compare poverty in Minnesota and Iowa to California? 
Minnesota's super low in part because of programs that help people, in part because it's so cold that if you're homeless you need to leave or die.

But Michigan, Ohio - very similar poverty rates to California.

Minnesota's super low in part because of programs that help people, in part because it's so cold that if you're homeless you need to leave or die.

Housing in California (or lack thereof) is getting to the ridiculous boiling point that California is losing population now.   Also, I believe California has the largest tax rates as anywhere in the Continental United States and their regulation on businesses are causing businesses to leave California.  That can't be good for their economy.   Even for one that is the 5th largest in the world, which baffles me considering all the problems they are having.

Housing in California (or lack of) is getting to the ridiculous boiling point that California is losing population now.   Also, I believe California has the largest tax rates as anywhere in the Continental United States and their regulation on businesses are causing businesses to leave California.  That can't be good for their economy. 
I don't think so.  If you mean corporate rates, they're high but not as high as Pennsylvania or (weirdly) Minnesota.  And if you mean personal income tax, there are several higher.

NFL2DF said:
The left loves this talking point.

"Minorities are too stupid/lazy/incompetent to locate a DMV, sit there for 2 hours, and pay $10 for an ID"

Do you realize how racist you are for thinking that?
You're a brave little innernet typer aren't you? Odd......I never mentioned race. 

You know the reality is that almost 20% of our population is functionally illiterate. Many work numerous jobs. Many have no transportation. Many women flee relationships with nothing more than the clothes on their back. Many are low functioning. But they are every bit the citizen you are.   

But you know that don't you? Let's not even mention the myriad other ways the vote is being suppressed. Most unamerican stuff I can think of. 

I don't think so.  If you mean corporate rates, they're high but not as high as Pennsylvania or (weirdly) Minnesota.  And if you mean personal income tax, there are several higher.
States where Americans pay the least (and most) in taxes  You're right though, not the highest in USA, but they rank up there at 47.

42. Minnesota

Taxes paid as pct. of income: 10.8%

Income per capita: $52,038 (13th highest)

Income tax collections per capita: $1,889 (5th highest)

Property tax collections per capita: $1,411 (20th highest)

General sales tax collections per capita: $999 (17th highest)

47. California

Taxes paid as pct. of income: 11.0%

Income per capita: $56,374 (6th highest)

Income tax collections per capita: $1,991 (4th highest)

Property tax collections per capita: $1,385 (22nd highest)

General sales tax collections per capita: $983 (19th highest)

States where Americans pay the least (and most) in taxes

42. Minnesota

Taxes paid as pct. of income: 10.8%

Income per capita: $52,038 (13th highest)

Income tax collections per capita: $1,889 (5th highest)

Property tax collections per capita: $1,411 (20th highest)

General sales tax collections per capita: $999 (17th highest)

47. California

Taxes paid as pct. of income: 11.0%

Income per capita: $56,374 (6th highest)

Income tax collections per capita: $1,991 (4th highest)

Property tax collections per capita: $1,385 (22nd highest)

General sales tax collections per capita: $983 (19th highest)
Right, so... 47th means there are some higher.  And again, corporate tax rates are higher in Minnesota (which isn't in your set there).  They are roughly 8.84% in California and 9.8% in Minnesota.

Perhaps some shortage, but the midwest feeds the world and we don't have that much poverty as California.  The cost of the aid to the illegal immigrants has to be outrageous. 
The cost of subsidizing farmers in the midwest is outrageous.  

:lmao:  It's funny because it's true. 

And the flip side that other states have been bussing their homeless to California for decades.  

I never thought as part of this I'd hear more about the 15th amendment than almost anything else.  Pretty fascinating.

:lmao:  It's funny because it's true. 
Meh, the weather in MN isn't really that bad. We just like to play it up a little for attention and to keep out the riff-raff.  

I never thought as part of this I'd hear more about the 15th amendment than almost anything else.  Pretty fascinating.
Voting rights are one of the main hot topics of the day, especially with the administration trying unsuccessfully to create a closed-door “voter fraud” committee that it then disbanded.

Voting rights are one of the main hot topics of the day, especially with the administration trying unsuccessfully to create a closed-door “voter fraud” committee that it then disbanded.
True, but the case that kept coming up was a unanimous case based on discrimination from a state office.  Seemed an odd choice to try and pin him down with.  Senator Hirono made a mash of it.

The Central Valley alone contains the top 4 counties in the US in Agricultural Sales (Fresno, Tulare, Kern, and Merced).  The Valley alone produces over 8% of the nation's agriculture on less than 1% of the nation's farmable land.

Speaking of voter fraud, I forget if I linked this yesterday:

ICE and DOJ decide to look into 8 years worth of voting records in NC

Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the Department of Justice have gotten a court order for North Carolina to turn over eight years of voter registration records from the state.

The North Carolina board of elections made the subpoena public as part of the materials for a public meeting it is holding Friday, where the request will be considered.

There is little context provided for the request, which is only listed by the board as "Consideration of subpoenas issued by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement via the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of North Carolina."

The subpoena asks the state records office to provide "any and all voter registration applications and/or other documents, as identified below, that were submitted to, filed by, received by, or maintained by the North Carolina State Board of Elections from January 1, 2010, through August 30, 2018, within any of the counties in North Carolina."

The list of documents include voter registration forms, absentee ballots, early voting application forms, provisional voting forms, "Admission or Denial of Non-Citizen Return" forms and voter cancellation or revocation forms.

A separate subpoena issued to Pitt County requests poll books, voting records, voting authorization documents and "executed official ballots," including absentees, from August 30, 2013 through August 30, 2018.

A federal law enforcement official confirmed the request is related to indictments announced in late August, when the Department of Justice and ICE announced they had charged 19 foreign nationals with voting illegally.

That press release noted, "The indictments follow an investigation by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) as part of a newly created Document and Benefit Fraud Task Force (DBFTF) in the Eastern District of North Carolina."
:popcorn:

Harris knows something, obviously. And he knows she knows. Wow was he squirming. Totally at a loss, because if he lies he's screwed but if he tells the truth she'll ask about the contents of the conversation...which she may also know. 

The way she kept pounding on the name of the firm makes it seem like she knows he talked to a name partner about the Mueller investigation. Otherwise he could easily weasel out using the excuse he tried--that he can't know who does and doesn't work there. The confidence and bluntness she displayed there makes it seem like that defense won't work. I saw someone reference the saying "lawyers don't ask questions they don't know the answers to" and that seems to be the case here. 

I'm sure a leak will be forthcoming. 

What a disgusting piece of crap.
If she knows the name of someone who he has supposedly talked to at that firm regarding the Muller investigation, then why wouldn't she ask the question, "Have you ever talked to 'enter name here" about the Muller investigation?".  Now that is a "simple question".  Bad questioning on Harris' part. 

If she knows the name of someone who he has supposedly talked to at that firm regarding the Muller investigation, then why wouldn't she ask the question, "Have you ever talked to 'enter name here" about the Muller investigation?".  Now that is a "simple question".  Bad questioning on Harris' part. 
It really wasn't...he knows who he talked to but does not want to answer.  The questioning was clear and perfect and telling that he couldn't answer.  Not a good look for a guy with questions already surrounding whether he lied in his initial confirmation.

Harris knows something, obviously. And he knows she knows. Wow was he squirming. Totally at a loss, because if he lies he's screwed but if he tells the truth she'll ask about the contents of the conversation...which she may also know. 

The way she kept pounding on the name of the firm makes it seem like she knows he talked to a name partner about the Mueller investigation. Otherwise he could easily weasel out using the excuse he tried--that he can't know who does and doesn't work there. The confidence and bluntness she displayed there makes it seem like that defense won't work. I saw someone reference the saying "lawyers don't ask questions they don't know the answers to" and that seems to be the case here. 

I'm sure a leak will be forthcoming. 
Yeah.  Another shoe dropping here in 4-3-2...

She knew she was holding the nuts and he knew he should fold but couldn't bring himself to do it.

I just looked it up and it was once -63 degrees in Minnesota. No thank you. 
January averages -

The average temp in January in Minnesota is 15.6 degrees. 

Average high temperature:23.7°F

Average low temperature:7.5°F

Average temperature:15.6°F

Average Precipitation:0.91 inch

Average snowfall:12 inch

Feb averages -

Average high - 29

Average low - 13

Average precip - 0.79

Average days with precip - 7

Average snowfall in inches - 8

It really wasn't...he knows who he talked to but does not want to answer.  The questioning was clear and perfect and telling that he couldn't answer.  Not a good look for a guy with questions already surrounding whether he lied in his initial confirmation.
Why didn't she just say, "Have you ever talked to so-and-so about the Muller investigation"?  Not rocket science, but why she wouldn't do that is very telling on her part, unless she is just fishing.

Users who are viewing this thread