What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​ 🏛️ ​Official Supreme Court nomination thread - Amy Coney Barrett (2 Viewers)

I am not watching the hearing, but I wish someone would ask him: "Do you think lying under oath to congress is a disqualifying act?  As a follow-up, do you think lying under oath to congress is an impeachable offense for a federal judge?"

Kavanaugh:  "Senator, I respectfully decline to be drawn into hypothetical questions."

Senator:   "Great, because this is not a hypothetical - let me share with you these documents, and transcripts from your testimony...."

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the NYT podcast "The Daily" has a great episode from 9/4 about the federalist society and the republicans' 30 year campaign to completely change the face of the federal judiciary.  They argue that Kavanaugh is the capstone to that project.

I had a client once who was distantly related to Troy Landry.  Between them, I believe that Troy got the brains, the looks, and the personality of the family.
Well he is an unusually handsome fella.  I suspect maybe he does not smell so good, but handsome, as the day is long. 

BTW, I made up the Troy Landry expression since it suited my needs and because I have zero scruples.

Juxtatarot said:
I don't think it's a simple question.  Six months ago you're at a bar and news about the Mueller investigation in on TV.  The guy next you says, "this stuff is crazy!"  You dismiss him by saying, "Sure is."  You've just had a conversation about the Mueller investigation.  Are you necessarily going to remember it?  Probably not.
Do you honestly believe that is why Harris is asking?

My Dad's first patient could not pay.  Every year at Christmas for 60 years now he sends a case of whiskey and some polish sausage.  I tell him my Dad has passed away and his debt, if any, was long since paid.  He keeps on sending the stuff.
There's a client who brings us a bunch of stuff every year.  I believe I've spoken of him on this board before.  He received LHWCA benefits in the mid-80s as a result of a great deal of work (and a rather hilarious trial incident in which it was determined that he is definitely not employable) and because he cannot read, he brings in the annual work report form and we help him fill it out each year.  We will not let him pay us for his time.  So instead he brings hundreds of dollars worth of cakes, cookies, and booze from the small corner store his family owns a piece of.  

Another day, another embarrassment by the left.

First it was the fake coordinated outrage over documents that were already available.

Then it was fake protesters who were paid to act like raging morons.

Today it is crying Corey Booker fabricating a story about releasing "secret" documents.

Womp womp

I know that protesting and pretending to be outraged is part of the show at these hearings but this seems to be new levels of pathetic.

First it was the fake coordinated outrage over documents that were already available.

Today it is crying Corey Booker fabricating a story about releasing "secret" documents.

Womp womp

I know that protesting and pretending to be outraged is part of the show at these hearings but this seems to be new levels of pathetic.
I see you are unfamiliar with Corey Booker.  He's so dramatic it's hard to believe he isn't a conservative.  Nobody's all that surprised by this (except, apparently, Burck.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Womp womp

Do you ever respond to the messages where you get asked a question or keep ignoring them and just continue to post ridiculous propaganda? Asking for a friend. 

TobiasFunke said:
I haven't watched all that much, but I've found him to be a lot more off-putting and dishonest than the typical conservative Justice.  Lying about "growing up in a city plagued by gun violence" when he was raised in maybe the richest suburb in America was just such a gross and needlessly dishonest moment. 
I know you all are focused on his more consequential lying to congress at the moment, and understandably so, but this bit is drawing a ton of mockery and ridicule around DC.

Vivian Schiller‏ @vivian

I live in Bethesda and all I can say is WHAT?! The only thing Bethesda is plagued with is gourmet cupcakes and artisanal gelato.
The dude's high school has its own golf course, for chrissakes.

wait....now guys like stealthycat are the "left"?  :oldunsure:  
Definitely not a good day or week for the Democrats, but I don't think it changes much. This is all political theater, anyone knows that these documents weren't changing opinions and were just being used as an opening for Democrats with 2020 aspirations to have a moment. Most people just ignore this and/or just expect it. We should have expected the Democrats to throw a tantrum. They did. We should have expected Republicans to hold back on documentation. They did. We shouldn't have expected Kavanaugh to provide much opinion to most questions asked. He didn't. This went about as planned, and the only people outraged by this our the fake politicians involved. Kavanaugh will be appointed, we can move on .

I know you all are focused on his more consequential lying to congress at the moment, and understandably so, but this bit is drawing a ton of mockery and ridicule around DC.

It's 7 miles from D.C.  I'd say it's reasonable to have a kid growing up near there consider himself to have grown up in the DC metro area.

It's 7 miles from D.C.  I'd say it's reasonable to have a kid growing up near there consider himself to have grown up in the DC metro area.
"Metro area" is different from what he said in "city."  I live about the same distance from DC, but I wouldn't say that I live in DC.

"Metro area" is different from what he said in "city."  I live about the same distance from DC, but I wouldn't say that I live in DC.
Yeah, I know.  But I know plenty of people from Metairie or Kenner or even Gretna who say they're from New Orleans.  It doesn't seem that odd to me.

Definitely not a good day or week for the Democrats, but I don't think it changes much. This is all political theater, anyone knows that these documents weren't changing opinions and were just being used as an opening for Democrats with 2020 aspirations to have a moment. Most people just ignore this and/or just expect it. We should have expected the Democrats to throw a tantrum. They did. We should have expected Republicans to hold back on documentation. They did. We shouldn't have expected Kavanaugh to provide much opinion to most questions asked. He didn't. This went about as planned, and the only people outraged by this our the fake politicians involved. Kavanaugh will be appointed, we can move on .
It's not good for either of them.  The Democrats are all over the place and it's now documented that the GOP is trying to get a judge on the SC that has lied under oath.  Lose/Lose

Judge Smails for the SC

Trust me, it’s worlds apart. I grew up in the same place, and I would never say I grew up in DC and was exposed to the gun violence. And now that I live in DC and am occasionally exposed to the gun violence, I would laugh in someone’s face if they said that and lived in Bethesda. There’s a reason the locals are all mocking him for this one.

Matthew Yglesias

The last time a Democratic senate confirmed a Republican president’s SCOTUS appointment was Clarence Thomas in 1991. 

The last time a GOP senate conformed a Democratic SCOTUS appointment was Rufus Peckham in 1895.

Kamala Harris‏ @SenKamalaHarris 4h4 hours ago

I asked Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh whether he believes President Trump was correct, that “both sides” were to blame for Charlottesville.

He refused to answer.

This isn’t a difficult question. One side was wrong: the one with the torches and swastikas.

JohnnyU said:
If she knows the name of someone who he has supposedly talked to at that firm regarding the Muller investigation, then why wouldn't she ask the question, "Have you ever talked to 'enter name here" about the Muller investigation?".  Now that is a "simple question".  Bad questioning on Harris' part. 
To see if he is capable of answering honestly.  That's the point.

To see if he is capable of answering honestly.  That's the point.
Honestly has to come with a more specific question, like have you talked to ________ about the Muller investigation.  He would be crazy to say no if he doesn't even know who works for that law firm.

Kamala Harris‏ @SenKamalaHarris 4h4 hours ago

I asked Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh whether he believes President Trump was correct, that “both sides” were to blame for Charlottesville.

He refused to answer.

This isn’t a difficult question. One side was wrong: the one with the torches and swastikas.
Harris or Booker would be a great gift for the GOP in 2020. 

Honestly has to come with a more specific question, like have you talked to ________ about the Muller investigation.  He would be crazy to say no if he doesn't even know who works for that law firm.
Johnny U... have you had a forum discussion with anyone at FootballGuys.com about Brett Kavanaugh and his SC nomination?

And why is that?
I think both would be easy targets for advertisement.  To start, Booker's latest fiasco and as for Harris, she came across very badly in this hearing with nothing but fishing.  Unless she can ask the question of whom she's talking about with regards to whether Kavanaugh (sp?) talked with regarding the Mueller investigation, or at the very least provide a list of names, she holds no credibility.  Not to mention no one between California and New York would ever vote for her in a Presidential election.  Gift?  Yes.

I think both would be easy targets for advertisement.  To start, Booker's latest fiasco and as for Harris, she came across very badly in this hearing with nothing but fishing.  Unless she can ask the question of whom she's talking about with regards to whether Kavanaugh (sp?) talked with regarding the Mueller investigation, or at the very least provide a list of names, she holds no credibility.  Not to mention no one between California and New York would ever vote for her in a Presidential election.  Gift?  Yes.
Why not?

No conservative from the midwest or anywhere would ever vote for Harris for President and I suspect some left of center democrats wouldn't either..  They hate far left California liberal politicians. 

So you’re saying if the 2020 Presidential Election were between Donald Trump and Kamala Harris, Trump would carry 100% of the vote in Minneapolis? St. Paul?  Northfield?

So you’re saying if the 2020 Presidential Election were between Donald Trump and Kamala Harris, Trump would carry 100% of the vote in Minneapolis? St. Paul?  Northfield?
No, Minnesota is mostly democrat and she might win Minnesota.  Trump did very well in Minnesota by the way.  I'm not so sure Harris could do as well as Hillary however. 

No conservative from the midwest or anywhere would ever vote for Harris for President and I suspect some left of center democrats wouldn't either..  They hate far left California liberal politicians. 
jesus...you and your neatly-crafted stereotypes and putting people in boxes is a bit much.

Slow down with the hyperbole. Take a breath and try some critical thinking outside your bubble.

Users who are viewing this thread