What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​ 🏛️ ​Official Supreme Court nomination thread - Amy Coney Barrett (2 Viewers)

I know you all are focused on his more consequential lying to congress at the moment, and understandably so, but this bit is drawing a ton of mockery and ridicule around DC.

The dude's high school has its own golf course, for chrissakes.
This dude needs to take an hour ride up 95.

He said “far left California liberal” politician. Which is a rather poor attempt to describe Harris.  Reagan was probably a far left California liberal on that scale. 
It doesn't really matter.  I'm sure his feelings about Harris (and Booker) are a lot stronger than they would be about someone like Eric Garcetti.

It doesn't really matter.  I'm sure his feelings about Harris (and Booker) are a lot stronger than they would be about someone like Eric Garcetti.
I don’t know.  Sounds Italian.  You know what they say about those people. 

Trust me, it’s worlds apart. I grew up in the same place, and I would never say I grew up in DC and was exposed to the gun violence. And now that I live in DC and am occasionally exposed to the gun violence, I would laugh in someone’s face if they said that and lived in Bethesda. There’s a reason the locals are all mocking him for this one.
I mean, much of NW in DC itself is pretty much insulated from gun violence.  I live in Chevy Chase.  It isn't Boyz in the Hood.  

But don't knock the mean streets of Bethesda.  Their Jaleo's sangria is quite as good as the one in downtown.

I think both would be easy targets for advertisement.  To start, Booker's latest fiasco and as for Harris, she came across very badly in this hearing with nothing but fishing.  Unless she can ask the question of whom she's talking about with regards to whether Kavanaugh (sp?) talked with regarding the Mueller investigation, or at the very least provide a list of names, she holds no credibility.  Not to mention no one between California and New York would ever vote for her in a Presidential election.  Gift?  Yes.
I don't think you really have your finger on the pulse of potential Booker/Harris voters. In fact, both Booker and Harris would be ecstatic of your disapproval, if they knew wtf you were.

From Harvard Law Professor and Constitutional scholar Lawrence Tribe:

Laurence Tribe‏  @tribelaw 15h15 hours ago

This @KamalaHarris cross-X is so important because if Judge Kavanaugh did in fact discuss the Mueller probe with Trump’s personal attorney’s firm, he has NO CHOICE but to recuse from all matters related to that probe. And his claim to have forgotten could be confirmation PERJURY

GroveDiesel said:
Oh, and it turns out that not only were the emails Booker released cleared for release last night, but that Booker already knew that before his grandstanding today: Link

Sheesh.
I am Sparaicus.  I AM SPARTACUS!
This is the political equivalent.  Jeez - what a dweeb.  I am Spartacus - yeah, dude, sure you are.  This is going to follow him, and not in a good way.

Kamala outshone him badly yesterday and he's gotten ridiculously desperate for news coverage.   Grassley asking him how many more times he was going to repeat himself was golden.

Oh, and Corey just outed himself flipping the white supremacist sign out.  Surely he'll resign after this massive revelation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Judiciary Committee sets date for vote on Kavanaugh confirmation

Senate Republicans laid out a fast schedule Tuesday for action on Judge Brett Kavanaugh, setting up a Sept. 20 vote in committee which would be followed by action on the full Senate floor the final week of the month.

That schedule would put Judge Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court before its Oct. 1 start of the new session.
:thumbup:

I AM SPARTACUS!!   :rant:

Nobody cares, Booker.  We already declassified those emails.   :coffee:

I'm still Spartacus    :kicksrock:

I don't think it's a simple question.  Six months ago you're at a bar and news about the Mueller investigation in on TV.  The guy next you says, "this stuff is crazy!"  You dismiss him by saying, "Sure is."  You've just had a conversation about the Mueller investigation.  Are you necessarily going to remember it?  Probably not.
It's interesting to think through.

If Harris says 'Ah ha, gotcha, in fact you had a conversation with Telly Savales of the Kasowitz firm while you were at lunch with a friend one day!" then she will look pretty bad.

Keep in mind Kavanaugh is 99.94% likely to get confirmed no matter what they show, she knows that she will look silly for no reason.

It makes more sense if she knows there is a document which memorializes this and to me Kavanaugh's cute 'I think you're thinking of something' suggests there was a discussion but he is not sure she has the trail to prove it.

It's interesting to think through.

If Harris says 'Ah ha, gotcha, in fact you had a conversation with Telly Savales of the Kasowitz firm while you were at lunch with a friend one day!" then she will look pretty bad.

Keep in mind Kavanaugh is 99.94% likely to get confirmed no matter what they show, she knows that she will look silly for no reason.

It makes more sense if she knows there is a document which memorializes this and to me Kavanaugh's cute 'I think you're thinking of something' suggests there was a discussion but he is not sure she has the trail to prove it.
He comes across as slimy, and I hate it.  This may be the thing that pisses me off the most about this guy.  With his pretend fumbling over the name of the law firm.  He knows damn well what the law firm is and who founded it, and who the big names partners are, and he is pretending to be confused.  Spineless.  Show some sack, and say (if true) I haven't had a conversation about the investigation with any named partners or anyone I know to work there, but if there are 100s of lawyers there, I can't be sure.

Again:  I live in DC, and talk about the investigation ALL. THE. TIME.  And if I was asked this question ("Sweet J, have you had a conversation about the Mueller probe with anyone at [insert random DC firm here]?") I'd be able to cogently respond without coming across as a sleeze.  Which he CLEARLY does. 

How many people has he had discussions with about the Mueller probe that he [clutching his pearls] can't for the life of him possibly answer that question.  Please.

IIRC Harris was a prosecutor. Leading someone down the primrose path is one of the most enjoyable things to watch. I don't know how this will turn out, but Kavanaugh is a judge with loads of experience, his playing coy with this is really risky. 

Just occurred to me how hilarious it is that the big selling point for Trump before the election among his supporters was that he was an outsider, that he would represent the working class people who resented the "coastal elites" and thought the country was ignoring them, that he would "drain the swamp" of Washington DC. 

And now when you ask those same people what they like about Trump's presidency, they invariably point to him putting two super-rich guys who grew up near DC as the children of political types, attended the same elite expensive private school, went to Ivy League schools, and spent their entire careers back in DC (one doing a ton of political work), on the Supreme Court. 

I hate to be cynical but- the main reason that Corey Booker released those emails yesterday is that he could not allow Kamala Harris to be the face of the Democratic opposition to Kavanaugh. On Monday and Tuesday, Harris was the one featured on the news because she interrupted Grassley. Now Booker is the one on the news. 

Both Harris and Booker know that Kavanaugh will be approved no matter what they do or say. So as I wrote before, we’re looking at the beginning of the 2020 election cycle: I believe these are the top two candidates (at least for now). Booker is more centrist and Harris will have more progressive support, but Booker needs to maintain enough base support so that he won’t be perceived as Hillary 2.0; hence he is establishing his bona fides right here. 

I hate to be cynical but- the main reason that Corey Booker released those emails yesterday is that he could not allow Kamala Harris to be the face of the Democratic opposition to Kavanaugh. On Monday and Tuesday, Harris was the one featured on the news because she interrupted Grassley. Now Booker is the one on the news. 

Both Harris and Booker know that Kavanaugh will be approved no matter what they do or say. So as I wrote before, we’re looking at the beginning of the 2020 election cycle: I believe these are the top two candidates (at least for now). Booker is more centrist and Harris will have more progressive support, but Booker needs to maintain enough base support so that he won’t be perceived as Hillary 2.0; hence he is establishing his bona fides right here. 
I don’t know, I’m just sick of people not doing their jobs and these two appear to be doing their jobs damned well.

The point about Kavanaugh receiving and accessing stolen emails, if true, seems like it should be the kind of big deal that gets a lawyer disbarred, not promoted to the USSC.
Well, Leahy seems pretty convinced.  And I'm inclined to believe him, given that they were from his files.

https://twitter.com/SenatorLeahy/status/1037753403856887808/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1037753410223857665&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsplinternews.com%2Fajax%2Finset%2Fiframe%3Fid%3Dtwitter-1037753410223857665%26autosize%3D1

:lol:

Its a good thing I am not involved in politics - I would quickly sink to the lowest level...

I would save up all this Kavanaugh info, and file articles of impeachment once the Dems controlled the House (with an outside chance I would wait until 2020 to see if the Dems could get the Senate also...

I would save up all this Kavanaugh info, and file articles of impeachment once the Dems controlled the House (with an outside chance I would wait until 2020 to see if the Dems could get the Senate also...
You think Democrats will get 2/3 of the Senate?  That's a big lift.

Users who are viewing this thread